Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermarolling for Product Penetration ONLY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Oh, Sis, of course! That makes perfect sense, and I love your example of babies and toddlers. Thanks for your explanation - it made me smile. ~ JJ Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I roll my 1.5mm over my upper lip (not on the lip itself) and find it's one of my less sensitive areas along with my NL's - weirdly I practically feel nothing there unlike my forehead which kills me. My cheekbones don't feel too much either so it's not a bony-area issue.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:42 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
I roll my 1.5mm over my upper lip (not on the lip itself) and find it's one of my less sensitive areas along with my NL's - weirdly I practically feel nothing there unlike my forehead which kills me. My cheekbones don't feel too much either so it's not a bony-area issue.

Miranda, I think this is like everything else - everyone is different. I have a friend who rolled for the first time last night. I had warned her that the upper lip was very sensitive. After she rolled, she told me that her upper lip was not the least bit sensitive. My forehead doesn't hurt when I roll, but it reacts by becoming much redder than the rest of my face. Also, where the skin lies on the cheekbones can be a bit sensitive for me. You are so lucky that the upper lip can be rolled without yelling at the top of your lungs! Laughing ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
I can't roll with .25 over my upper lip. I try to brave a few passes over the area but that's about all I can stand. The forehead turns bright red but doesn't hurt like the upper lip.

I have been rolling in the A and D ointment and I love it. I have a question. I have been using .1 retin A and only use it once per week. It really is too strong for me so I've ordered .025 to use daily. So, here's the question. I want to use DIY C serum in the mornings and .025 retin a at night. Should I skip the retin a on the nights that I roll in the A and D ointment? Or, should I apply the retin a as usual, wait an hour or so and then roll?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I can't roll with .25 over my upper lip. I try to brave a few passes over the area but that's about all I can stand. The forehead turns bright red but doesn't hurt like the upper lip.

I have been rolling in the A and D ointment and I love it. I have a question. I have been using .1 retin A and only use it once per week. It really is too strong for me so I've ordered .025 to use daily. So, here's the question. I want to use DIY C serum in the mornings and .025 retin a at night. Should I skip the retin a on the nights that I roll in the A and D ointment? Or, should I apply the retin a as usual, wait an hour or so and then roll?

Tonia, have you tried putting hempseed oil on over the retin-a (about 45 minutes after you apply retin-a)? I've never been able to tolerate retin-a without having lots of redness, peeling, etc. but if I use the hemp oil, I have no problems at all. However, my retin-a is 0.05%. I would not use true retin-a on the nights you roll; it's just too strong. However, some of the rolling sites say that you can apply it if you wait at least an hour after rolling. I would do a patch test if I were you to see how sensitive you are to it, or just skip it and use it on a night you don't roll. HTH! ~ JJ

P.S. Are you snowed in? We have run the gamut weather-wise. Last night we had "freezing fog." Who knew? Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
I put an order in for a .25 roller last night at the cheap ebay supplier - thanks jj - yay! Suffice to say I am enjoying the .5 roller very much and felt I wanted something I could use with gentle ease on a more regular basis.

Last night after dry brushing I did a somewhat intense roll with the .5 using the green tea spritz with the added green tea from Skinactives. Afterward I did the LED with my prolight red continuing with green tea spritz throughout the 20 minute time frame. Later I applied the antiox booster mixed with ELS from skinactives. (This morning my pillowcase was tinted orange!)
My skin tends to be oily and this morning it was somewhat dry and a bit red... not a terrible look but still obvious after-effects of the roll. Of note: the roll did not seem to hurt as much as previous (this is my third time).
I want to do more frequent rolls which is why I got the .25. Eventually I'll branch into the .75 or 1.0 and work with all of them. This has been a fun adventure. It's very new to me. The science behind rolling makes sense and I know my skin is having a positive response to it.

There were comments at one time regarding absorption and here are mine. I can tell a difference in how or the rate at which my skin is absorbing things. It is different when I roll. When I applied the antiox booster and ELS without rolling my skin felt more lubricated and then eventually went back to it's normal feel. After rolling my skin obviously absorbed and pulled in the product - exfoliation and somewhat drying feel being evident. I could get much more explicit but those who roll will know what I'm talking about. Rolling indeed changes response to the applied products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Want to emphasize: When I say rolling changes response to products - please remember I am new to this so I'm sure over time this may become less evident. Also, I'm very observant right now due to the fact this is new to me. Even right now - 24 hours later my skin is still slightly inflamed (would have a temp if I had a mini-thermometer) and having after rolling effects (slight dryness and minimally red).

Am enjoying what I feel to be positive rolling effects. Like dry brushing on steroids!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I put an order in for a .25 roller last night at the cheap ebay supplier - thanks jj - yay! Suffice to say I am enjoying the .5 roller very much and felt I wanted something I could use with gentle ease on a more regular basis.

Last night after dry brushing I did a somewhat intense roll with the .5 using the green tea spritz with the added green tea from Skinactives. Afterward I did the LED with my prolight red continuing with green tea spritz throughout the 20 minute time frame. Later I applied the antiox booster mixed with ELS from skinactives. (This morning my pillowcase was tinted orange!)
My skin tends to be oily and this morning it was somewhat dry and a bit red... not a terrible look but still obvious after-effects of the roll. Of note: the roll did not seem to hurt as much as previous (this is my third time).
I want to do more frequent rolls which is why I got the .25. Eventually I'll branch into the .75 or 1.0 and work with all of them. This has been a fun adventure. It's very new to me. The science behind rolling makes sense and I know my skin is having a positive response to it.

There were comments at one time regarding absorption and here are mine. I can tell a difference in how or the rate at which my skin is absorbing things. It is different when I roll. When I applied the antiox booster and ELS without rolling my skin felt more lubricated and then eventually went back to it's normal feel. After rolling my skin obviously absorbed and pulled in the product - exfoliation and somewhat drying feel being evident. I could get much more explicit but those who roll will know what I'm talking about. Rolling indeed changes response to the applied products.

Sis, what a wonderful and encouraging post! You've described it perfectly. If I roll with the .05 roller, I almost have to add some type of oil, usually emu. My retinyl palmitate is in an oil base, so that works well too.

Boy, you really gave yourself a great treatment last night! Spa night! Could you feel your skin tighten when you used your LED? I love the combo of green tea/LED after rolling.

I think you will really enjoy the smaller roller. That seller is wonderful, and her rollers are very nice, I think. I still love mine; haven't had to replace it yet. There's quite a bit of difference between the 0.25 and the 0.05. I can roll every day with the 0.25 and I could not possibly do so with the 0.05. Wonderful news that your skin is responding so positively to rolling! It's addictive! ~ JJ Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
JJ - You are right....it IS addictive. I think it's because you know something good is happening and there's no denying it. It's funny how those intrinsic things work.

I did feel the tightening - I expect it is partly from the inflammation property but also in part from the infusion of the topicals. I'm amazed. When I knew that you had gone through what you did and made such a reversal I was more than doubly impressed. Your encouragement and openness to share and willingness to give honestly of your opinions and experiences helps all of us.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
When I started rolling, I researched the antimicrobial issue thoroughly and it led me to the use of povidone iodine as my antimicrobial of choice...for various reasons.

Of course, also good body hygiene in general.

I believe Josee, the doctor here who rolls, also uses iodine for the same reasons.

BF
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
JJ - You are right....it IS addictive. I think it's because you know something good is happening and there's no denying it. It's funny how those intrinsic things work.

I did feel the tightening - I expect it is partly from the inflammation property but also in part from the infusion of the topicals. I'm amazed. When I knew that you had gone through what you did and made such a reversal I was more than doubly impressed. Your encouragement and openness to share and willingness to give honestly of your opinions and experiences helps all of us.

Thank you, Sis, very much. It seems to me that if my skin could get healthy and pretty again, anyone's can. I'm amazed that there are so many options for us all. If anyone had told me that I would be rolling needles all over my face and loving it, I would have thought they were crazy. But whatever works gets my attention. Laughing Hugs ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
When I started rolling, I researched the antimicrobial issue thoroughly and it led me to the use of povidone iodine as my antimicrobial of choice...for various reasons.

Of course, also good body hygiene in general.

I believe Josee, the doctor here who rolls, also uses iodine for the same reasons.

BF

BF, thank you so much for this suggestion! Can you buy povidone iodine at the pharmacy? Is it orange? TIA! ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
BF, are you talking about veterinary iodine? That you use on horses?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Well said Sis! J you are an inspiration. So glad you're here
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Not BF but I purchased a generic 'Equate' brand of Povidone Iodine Solution 10% at Walmart...it's brown liquid with orange tint.
Have not used it for rolling yet but will try it next...it says it kills germs 'promptly'...which I hope means that you don't have to soak the roller as long.

Mary
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Most drug stores carry a generic brand it's the same as Betadine, that's what they swab a large area with (that's not covered by surgical drapes) prior to any cutting into the skin! I
have seen many surgical scars and it doesn't stain the skin. I have always kept Betadine solution as well as a scrub they make for use on injuries, it's great for kids as it doesn't sting! None of the boo boos my kids or myself used Betadine on remained brown or orangey although that is the color of the solution.

HTH
DM

MaryClaire wrote:
Hi guys,

Not BF but I purchased a generic 'Equate' brand of Povidone Iodine Solution 10% at Walmart...it's brown liquid with orange tint.
Have not used it for rolling yet but will try it next...it says it kills germs 'promptly'...which I hope means that you don't have to soak the roller as long.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am      Reply with quote
While I'm (still!) waiting for my 0.2mm roller I was wondering which product I could use with it once it arrives.
I won a $50 EDS voucher that's electronically burning a hole in my pocket and needs spending - so any suggestions?
I think I could do with some skin plumping but anything that's beneficial and works would be great.
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
While I'm (still!) waiting for my 0.2mm roller I was wondering which product I could use with it once it arrives.
I won a $50 EDS voucher that's electronically burning a hole in my pocket and needs spending - so any suggestions?
I think I could do with some skin plumping but anything that's beneficial and works would be great.

Hi, Miranda! Crikey, Laughing I have the same problem - $50 G/C and no idea what I want yet. (Nice problem to have, though). What are you using these days? I know you use retin-a and I'm assuming with your longer rollers you are rolling in vitamins. I use everything with my small roller. All kinds of peptides, copper included, retinol products, gentle Vit. C products.

Generally, what I do is roll first and then apply my normal facial products (except retin-a or LAA form of C). It makes everything absorb better, no matter what you use, so you're going to get a plumping effect with any good product, I think. Have you ever used copper? I'm using SkinBiology's Skin Signals over Exfol Serum, but I've been using CP's for about a year now. I was thinking you might get used to CP's with PSF's Bio-Copper Serum. Lots of people love this product, it has lots of copper peptides, but the copper ions have been removed, so you get the benefits of CP's without the uglies. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-bio-copper-serum-p_9445.htm Let's see what everyone suggests; I'll be interested in this too. ~ JJ

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 am      Reply with quote
I'll try the hempseed oil like you suggested. I have some but haven't tried it the way you suggested. A patch test is a great idea!

We've been snowed in since Friday. I made snow cream!!! It was really good. Do you still have power?

jjbeacham wrote:
Tonia wrote:

Tonia, have you tried putting hempseed oil on over the retin-a (about 45 minutes after you apply retin-a)? I've never been able to tolerate retin-a without having lots of redness, peeling, etc. but if I use the hemp oil, I have no problems at all. However, my retin-a is 0.05%. I would not use true retin-a on the nights you roll; it's just too strong. However, some of the rolling sites say that you can apply it if you wait at least an hour after rolling. I would do a patch test if I were you to see how sensitive you are to it, or just skip it and use it on a night you don't roll. HTH! ~ JJ

P.S. Are you snowed in? We have run the gamut weather-wise. Last night we had "freezing fog." Who knew? Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I'll try the hempseed oil like you suggested. I have some but haven't tried it the way you suggested. A patch test is a great idea!

We've been snowed in since Friday. I made snow cream!!! It was really good. Do you still have power?

We never lost power, thank goodness! Also, we just had 3 inches of snow, and I didn't think it was clean enough to make snow cream. Waaaaaah! Laughing I wanted some sooooo bad. What about you - any power outage? How much snow did you guys get? We were sort of on the borderline. Everyone right above us got 8+ inches.

You will be amazed at the hempseed oil used over retin-a. Miranda gave me that tip and it works unbelievably well!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:

Off the top of my head are some things that have been recommended that I would consider - some by Kassy I know:
Juice Beauty Serums, Alpha Derma Prep, Jan Marini Bioclear lotion (JJ). I bought a Mandy palette from Julie Hewitt and fell in love (but that's a makeup thing not skincare).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip JJ, I'll try that. Tonight I'm going to do a 1. roll with the A and D ointment. I ordered the 1.5 from your ebay source for my next roll. I also will try EMLA for the first time tonight. Maybe this time I can roll above my upper lip.

We never lost power, thank goodness. We got 7 inches of snow. We have a long, steep driveway so we parked the SUV at the bottom of the hill. That didn't help much because the main road is covered in ice too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Thanks for the tip JJ, I'll try that. Tonight I'm going to do a 1. roll with the A and D ointment. I ordered the 1.5 from your ebay source for my next roll. I also will try EMLA for the first time tonight. Maybe this time I can roll above my upper lip.

We never lost power, thank goodness. We got 7 inches of snow. We have a long, steep driveway so we parked the SUV at the bottom of the hill. That didn't help much because the main road is covered in ice too.

Where do you girls live?
Think of it this way when you're snowed in you have every reason to get out the rollers and the skin care artillary and use your time wisely.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have 12" of snow and it is Spa Fever" break out the roller, LED light, the Stop, and nothing else that comes to mind!!!!I will either look fabulous when I go back to work or a pin cushion!!!I will blame it on frost bite!!! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Tonia wrote:

Where do you girls live?
Think of it this way when you're snowed in you have every reason to get out the rollers and the skin care artillary and use your time wisely.

Sis, I live right outside of Memphis and Tonia is in Nashville. We got hit by the same storm system last Friday, but Nashville is further north, so they got more snow than Memphis did. I did everything possible to my skin while stuck in the house. Laughing It was fun too! ~ JJ

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |