Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Dermarolling for Product Penetration ONLY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 am      Reply with quote
shasta girl

According to dr setterfield ( the concise guide to derma needling) .5mm is counted under medical needlind and definitely does stimulate collagen. according to his research .5mm in the group it was compared with produced the best results in the shortest time , wrinkles 26% &UVspots 16% after 5 months.

so yoiu can rest assured that it is working just dont overdo it
Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Dragon
he doesnt suggest .5mm rolling 3x weelky he counts .5 mm as Medical needling and suggests every 30 days for that

Exclamation Exclamation

So a lot less pain for more

Id have that

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Dragon
he doesnt suggest .5mm rolling 3x weelky he counts .5 mm as Medical needling and suggests every 30 days for that

Exclamation Exclamation

Id have that

Hmmm...some different opinions on frequency. I'd heard that a 0.5 could be used weekly. Forget the exact source, it's probably in the big, long dermaroller thread somewhere, will have to search it out.

It's interesting that Dr. Setterfield states a 0.5 improves collagen, the controversy was always whether it goes deep enough in the dermis. I don't bleed with a 0.5.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I don't bleed either from 0.5 except a bit on my chest, but I do get scaly peeling for a day afterwards. This has happenend every single time I rolled (6 x in all now). Not something to do 3 x a week! But a sign that something is happening in the cell renewal department.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

Id have that

Myself as well, but I want to see the study he bases that statement on.

The great pictures / results are mostly those of people that underwent 3.0mm rolls. Need to keep that in mind as well.

If you make, first do no harm, your Law, you will never strike the first blow and will be known as a man of peace who can fight like ten tigers, a Human in the act of Being. There is no greater rank than this. Ashida Kim on War.~Cellese~AnteAge Serum and Accelerator, DermaRoller ,MyFawnie AA2G serum, KNN G ForceUltrasound., SEA, ChrySun 25% ZnO
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Actually in the book there are no pics of 3mm rolls .

He also makes the point that in their research, Dr Fernandes and Dr Aust established that results obtained using a 1mm roller were the same as with the 3mm roller , and that new collagen forms no deeper than .6mm regardless of depth of injury.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:

He also makes the point that in their research, Dr Fernandes and Dr Aust established that results obtained using a 1mm roller were the same as with the 3mm roller , and that new collagen forms no deeper than .6mm regardless of depth of injury.

Does Dr. Setterfield provide a recommendation on what size roller is optimal? Based on this, it sounds like 1mm might be ideal.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
10Sylvia5 wrote:

Does Dr. Setterfield provide a recommendation on what size roller is optimal? Based on this, it sounds like 1mm might be ideal.

According to the book he considers 0.2 and 0.3 for "cosmetic" use by the patient at home. and 0.5 to 3.0 "medical" for use by appropriately trained cosmetic nurses, technicians and doctors.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Look what I had stored away about rolling with 0.5mm - didn't even realise it was by Dr. Setterfield:

http://www.humannurture.com.au/documents/DermalRollingWeb.pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Look what I had stored away about rolling with 0.5mm - didn't even realise it was by Dr. Setterfield:

http://www.humannurture.com.au/documents/DermalRollingWeb.pdf

That is both amazing and funny! I am still making my way through the book, it is a good read! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
This is from when Bethany asked Dr. Horst Liebl about needle length.

Quote:

The theory expounded by some experts ‘the longer the needle the better’, is not supported by scientific evidence! After evaluation of all of the biopsies in Dr Schwarz’s study, new collagen fibers were only found close to the corium and not deeper than 0.5 to 0.6 mm. Although the Dermaroller model MF8 has 1.5 mm long needles, no significant new collagen and elastin formation could be found in the sub-dermal tissue. It may be possible that longer needles may have a higher electrical potential, but needles longer than 1.5 mm increase the risk to damage nerves and vessels, and this again will result in haematomas and possible nerve paralysis.

http://dermaroller.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/question-about-collagen-function/

Dr. Liebl is the official Dermaroller (as in brand name) expert. He also states that a 0.5mm roller stimulates collagen. I have it in writing somewhere but am still looking for it.

Does everyone have this link? It contains all the Dermarolling articles on EDS.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 25, 2012 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Keliu,

It is on my watched list now and saved to notes! Very Happy

Keliu wrote:
This is from when Bethany asked Dr. Horst Liebl about needle length.

Quote:

The theory expounded by some experts ‘the longer the needle the better’, is not supported by scientific evidence! After evaluation of all of the biopsies in Dr Schwarz’s study, new collagen fibers were only found close to the corium and not deeper than 0.5 to 0.6 mm. Although the Dermaroller model MF8 has 1.5 mm long needles, no significant new collagen and elastin formation could be found in the sub-dermal tissue. It may be possible that longer needles may have a higher electrical potential, but needles longer than 1.5 mm increase the risk to damage nerves and vessels, and this again will result in haematomas and possible nerve paralysis.

http://dermaroller.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/question-about-collagen-function/

Dr. Liebl is the official Dermaroller (as in brand name) expert. He also states that a 0.5mm roller stimulates collagen. I have it in writing somewhere but am still looking for it.

Does everyone have this link? It contains all the Dermarolling articles on EDS.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 1:14 am      Reply with quote
DM and Keliu

Nice one , I hadnt seen that human nurture article, I think once we've "perused" all this info it will eventually boil down to 1mm being optimal for antiageing used every 30 days( but .5mm is also counted as "medical rolling"and could be used for that too) and for any product penetration rolling, anything .3mm and less can be used up to every day!! ( a bit too much for me 2/3 times a week for me)

But of course with indididual needs taking into account.

Hope that makes sense its my take on it anyway.

What I think for me the most interesting thing about the book was the emphasis on the actives used and how important they were for the needling to be really effective.

What I need to do now is to decipher his chart for actives, think Im getting there and when I have I willpost it all here just for you lovely people to tell me if its makes sens or not

Laughing Rolling Eyes Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Silvia,

I am challenged by deciphering his actives chart. To me this is one of the weaknesses of the book. I realize he is writing for other medical practitioners, not for consumers, so it's a slog.

I recognize the broad categories of ingredients, but getting a little lost beyond that.

I may try writing him.

Hope you have better luck!

BFG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 26, 2012 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Hi Silvia,

I am challenged by deciphering his actives chart. To me this is one of the weaknesses of the book. I realize he is writing for other medical practitioners, not for consumers, so it's a slog.

I recognize the broad categories of ingredients, but getting a little lost beyond that.

I may try writing him.

Hope you have better luck!

BFG

Same for me BFG,

I find that the least comprehensible for me as well?

I hope some one can actually decipher it or get a response to the email! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Just thought Id update where I was with the dermarolling with the .25mm

I have been derma rolling with the .25mm for product penetration 2x weekly usually
Mon and frid

firstly I rolled on clean skin then applied environs hyaluronic serum ,eye gel, and cp serum.
Lastly I used the c quench 4 serum.

When I became more brave I rolled in the environ products.

At the night time roll when I got it I added in the kinnianag serum
Lately I have added in the reluma serum too. Also some retinol cream 1% on days not rolling and diy vit c, e and ferulic serum

So I have been rolling (.2mm) for about 2 months
twice weekly, and with the big gun(1mm) as a once every other month roll.

Over all I see a definite improvement in skin hydration, the fine forhead lines (horizontal) are definitely smoother ( still there but less)

The 11s are also less.
My pores which are on the cheeks appear less obvious. My NL lines dont appear quite as obvious

My neck (which just wasnt as elastic as when I was younger) seems better

I have to say that I am happy with this not huge but definite improvement.

Now I know this is purely subjective and I have not had a skin analysis or anything done, but everything does seem better, and at the moment when I havent been very well( bad virus) this is good enuff for me.

I will continue with this but have also begun to eliminate things which have had no apparent improvement.
Interestingly I havnt done FE exercises for some time ( not my choice just no energy )at some point I want to add them in again. So I am happy so far

HTH some of you are are wondering about rolling, yes I think it works but slowly and you have to use the right actives carefully

Laughing Cool Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
sylvia - I question your applying the Environ C-Quence along with CPs after a roll. It might be a waste of $$. 2nd gen CPs are suppose to negate Vit C making it ineffective. Alternately, a L-AA based Vit C (being very acidic) would have problems for a 1st gen CP like the GHK-Cu one, dince the GHK is a bit fragile to acids. You might want to alternate the times you use the CPs and a vit C product with your rolls.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have done a few .25 rolls this past month, but still can't bring myself to do (even) a short needle roll more often than once/week. My skin just reacts so negatively to any roll with the sneezing (forehead), watery eyes and touchy-touchy upper lips. OUCH!

I do like the idea of using just a .5 on a monthly basis - I can live with that! And it's all good to hear it can generate the cascade of events for collagen and elastin rebuilding - woohoo!

5% products discount

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
MaryClaire wrote:
Very happy you started this thread...I want to roll for penetration and for wrinkles. Can I use a .5 for penetration?

I use .5 for penetration. I press very lightly and use it every day.
periwinkle7
5% products discount

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
What do you use to clean your Derma Roller? As I use it for product penetration only, I need a lot of cleaner. I'm worried about harmful stabilizers penetrating deep into the skin. I have been using store-bought 99% Isopropyl. I live in Canada. The only ingredients are Isopropyl and Water. I hope they don't put stabilizers in there, but it's the cheapest way to go.

I'm afraid to call the company. I'm embarrassed and not sure they information would be available anyway.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 am      Reply with quote
Foxe
Yes I did know about the interraction with vit c and cps, but I used the cps as Dr setterfield recommends cps after a cosmetic roll.

I left about an hour before applying the CQuench I figured the channels would be closedby then and that most of the effectiveness of the cps would be maximised.

But if I can do both in a different way I am open to alternate days Exclamation

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have a bloody clue what threads to put this in, but since a lot of people are planning to incorporate *MCS's cytokines* into their roll, this might be helpful.

Topical delivery of mesenchymal stem cells and their function in wounds:
http://stemcellres.com/content/1/4/30

Granted, there is no comparison between the stem cells used here and the conditioned media used in a cosmetic, but much can be learned about the wound healing cascade.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I don't have a bloody clue what threads to put this in, but since a lot of people are planning to incorporate *MCS's cytokines* into their roll, this might be helpful.

Topical delivery of mesenchymal stem cells and their function in wounds:
http://stemcellres.com/content/1/4/30

Granted, there is no comparison between the stem cells used here and the conditioned media used in a cosmetic, but much can be learned about the wound healing cascade.

Thanks Kassy- I always interested in this information.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Im going to place an order from owndoc for a dermaroller and wondered does it still bleed when you roll even though the needles are smaller?

Thanks

emma
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
nuttymadam wrote:
Im going to place an order from owndoc for a dermaroller and wondered does it still bleed when you roll even though the needles are smaller?

Thanks

emma

I am a definitely bleeder, and do NOT bleed with a .25mm roller.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |