Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Natural oil moisturizers for Retin A users?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DuckDuck
5% products discount

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Hello everybody Smile

I suffer from acne and premature aging. I'm using Retin-A for both and clindoxyl for acne. My skin gets VERY dry. I'm using Spectro Jel skin care line...but I want to swtich to purley natural/organic, without the parabens, etc.

However, I hear a lot about "jojoba oil" and "avacodo oil" and "tea tree oil". When I hear oil I freak out, because my skin is SUPER acne prone. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the different types of commonly known oils are for and which are good for dry skin.

Also how do you apply them to the skin? Just cleanse, and then apply the oil?

Jojoba oil
Olive oil (that's a really scary one!)
Tea Tree oil
Avacado oil
Emu Oil
Argan Oil
Aloe Vera
...more?....there's SO many! My head spins!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 am      Reply with quote
DuckDuck,

You are correct their are a lot of great oils out there!

Olive is very close to your natural skin oils
Hazelnut is good for all skin types
Apricot is good for dehydrated sensitive skin
Grapeseed is easily absorbed and does not aggrevate acne it is light in texture
Sesame is good for all skin types but is heavy compared to others
Soy is light absorbs easily good for dry skin
Sunflower is easibly absorbed good for all skin types good for dry delicate skin
Coconut is good for dry sensitive skin slightly heavy

I left out a lot of oils which are great for the skin because they go rancid quickly.

Jojoba actually a liquid wax ester is extreemly close to your natural skin oils and is great as a moisturizer for all skin types

Tea Tree oil is an Essential Oil one of a very few that can be applied directly to skin, however this is usually as a spot treatment on pimples, cuts ect. it has great anti microbial properties The other option is adding it to a carrier oil like those above usually for acne or other skin conditions.

You are using Retin A so you have the normal wait time before applying. My preferred method of application is:
I apply my oils to a still damp face with damp fingers (clean of course) then simply massage the oil gently until it is absorbed well, just a minute or so. That is it.
My reason for leaving out oils that go off quickly is they need to be refrigerated and should be purchased in very small quantities.

There are more out there but that is what I can pull off the top of my head at the moment. If you are concerned about any possible reactions do the 48 hour test inside your elbow to check.
Olive isn't scary, the smell unless you hate it that much dissipates quickly, and it isn't nearly as heavy on the skin as you may be thinking. I have very normal skin even at my age 55 and use it regularly.

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I can recommend hemp seed oil from my own experience. My skin have no problems with acne, but I use Retin A (o,o5 cream) every night.
In first days I had peeling and tightness,burned and itchy neck and decollete but since I tried this oil - all side effects are gone.

I don't put hemp oil anymore on my face after Retin A - only on eye area and on the neck and decollete.
I using it on my face after C serum (before makeup foundation) in the morning and last few days I experienced that I really have no more peeling at all, my skin is clear and soft.
It is really weird to me because I expected bigger problems because of Retin A, but this oil seems to make miracle with that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
mirjana,

I agree it is a fantastically re-hydrating oil, fantastic for very dry skin, I left it off as it does become rancid quickly!

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
IMHO different oils work for different people. It can be very individual. Perhaps it might be a good idea to start off with a bunch of sample sizes.

Argan oil is rather stable. Should be able to do at least a year with this. I like it very much for being multi-tasking Laughing
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
mirjana,

I agree it is a fantastically re-hydrating oil, fantastic for very dry skin, I left it off as it does become rancid quickly!

DM

In fact it worries me too... I bought hemp oil from one Croatian manufacturer but he didn't tell me nothing about it (send him two emails already)...I have oil packed in some kind of aluminium dispenser, so I think that is good protected from outside temperature (bottle is always cold Idea ) and light.
I don't have any experience with oils so I really don't know how to recognize that oil is rancid?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
circus,

I know a lot of people love the Argan oil. It is my understanding that it has a large amount of silicons in it? Correct me if I am wrong as to the brand you have. If it does then the silicons tend to cause breakouts for those with acne prone skin, many don't even use hair products with silicons as where the hair contacts the face breakouts tend to be very problematic.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
mirjana,
You can tell the oil any oil that is rancid has a definite odor, not pleasant at all! Oils will have a natural odor to them much like the plant/fruit/nut they come from but shouldn't smell off!

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hey DarkMoon

I believe you are refering to this "Morrocan Oil" hair product? That's actually a blend of oil and -cones and other stuff.

Here's the list of ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl, MethylPropional, Argania Spinosa Kernal Oil (Argan Oil), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Fragrance Supplement, D&C Yellow-11, D&C Red-17, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone

I get my argan oil from GoW. I use it on skin and hair, and I find it also helps soothe inflammation somewhat (I have eczema). No problems with clogging. But again that is very individual. Camellia oil totally wreaked havoc on my skin Sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Circus,
That is why I asked I haven't delved into Argan oil yet personally, I have too many oils to play with as it is.
I agree it is very personal some even have had allergic reactions to some oils, so we each need to find what works for us! I just listed some to give an idea of what was out there readily available that don't go off easily! I am sure others will add favorites as well!
Smile
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
i like hemp oil and argan oil, but the smell, oh!!!! anyway, as long as it helps, whatelse we may expect then?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Argan oil comes from the Argan tree which grows in Morocco - it is a pure oil like any other vegetable oil.

As Circus has pointed out already, Moroccan oil is a hair oil that is made from Argan oil with the addition of silicons - it should not be confused with pure Argan Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Keliu,

Sorry I don't want to cause any confusion!
Argan has no silicons as stated above it is a natural oil. I did mix it up with the Moroccans oil at the time. Again I apologize for the possible confusion. They two are very different as Argan oil is unadulterated natural oil nothing added!

Hope that clears it up.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
DuckDuck wrote:
Hello everybody Smile

I suffer from acne and premature aging. I'm using Retin-A for both and clindoxyl for acne. My skin gets VERY dry. I'm using Spectro Jel skin care line...but I want to swtich to purley natural/organic, without the parabens, etc.

However, I hear a lot about "jojoba oil" and "avacodo oil" and "tea tree oil". When I hear oil I freak out, because my skin is SUPER acne prone. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the different types of commonly known oils are for and which are good for dry skin.

Jojoba oil
Tea Tree oil
Avacado oil
Emu Oil
Argan Oil
Aloe Vera
Well duck duck aren't we all suffering from premature aging and (sometimes acne); makes my head spin too with all those products. If your skin is so super dry, get rid of the retin A....I mean really. And get rid of all your oil products and use only one oil! Use benzyol peroxide 1-2% to keep your skin flawless and beautiful. A very good product that ALWAYS works for me is Paula's Choice which is on the internet. Than use 1 of your lovely oils. OR,,,OR use Elizabeth Grant serums for wonderful moisturization. See ShopNBC for reviews on her serums. Very Happy
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I like to use either Emu, Argan or squalane.
Or a mixture.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have a favourite oil - I like them all and they're all beneficial. I have Emu, Argan, Hempseed, Pomegranate, Rosehip, Avocado, Tamanu and alternate them. However, there are certain oils that are more suited for oily or dry skin.

I wouldn't give up on the Retin-A - if your skin is very dry, just cut back on useage.

You could also try using an oil as a cleanser (Oil Cleansing Method) - it doesn't strip the skin and is nourishing at the same time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Oh yeah and I forgot my beloved Rosehip oil, how dare I! Laughing
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="SusieQ"]
DuckDuck wrote:
Use benzyol peroxide 1-2% to keep your skin flawless and beautiful. A very good product that ALWAYS works for me is Paula's Choice which is on the internet. Than use 1 of your lovely oils. OR,,,OR use Elizabeth Grant serums for wonderful moisturization. See ShopNBC for reviews on her serums. Very Happy

My understanding was that Benzyol Peroxide actually ages your skin??????????????
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="oranges"]
SusieQ wrote:
DuckDuck wrote:
Use benzyol peroxide 1-2% to keep your skin flawless and beautiful. A very good product that ALWAYS works for me is Paula's Choice which is on the internet. Than use 1 of your lovely oils. OR,,,OR use Elizabeth Grant serums for wonderful moisturization. See ShopNBC for reviews on her serums. Very Happy

My understanding was that Benzyol Peroxide actually ages your skin??????????????

Really?! I have never heard this, or I have been living under a rock. Would love to hear more regarding this.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:30 am      Reply with quote
My understanding is that Benzoyl Peroxide works by introducing oxygen to the pore. This creates an aerobic environment whereby the bacteria causing acne would not be able to survive.

However this would make it a PRO-oxidant. Which is the opposite of an ANTI-oxidant. And of course you already know the importance of anti-oxidants in skincare. Wink
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi DuckDuck,

I use camellia oil and an HA serum (both from Garden of Wisdom). I first spritz my face with CocoFen Soothing/Clarifying Tonic (also from GoW) then I mix about a nickle size worth of HA serum with a few drops of camellia oil in the palm of my hand and then spread over my face. I know what you mean about being worried about putting oil on your face when you are acne prone... I am very acne prone too but the aforementioned combination I described works very well for me. Moisturizes and hydrates perfectly and doesn't cause break outs. I usually use melissa hydrosol as well... I spritz onto my face after applying the oil and HA serum.

Smile

DuckDuck wrote:
Hello everybody Smile

Jojoba oil
Tea Tree oil
Avacado oil
Emu Oil
Argan Oil
Aloe Vera

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Are you using the oils over the Retin-A or only on off days?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

I have always applied an oil over the Retin-A.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Skippie wrote:

I have always applied an oil over the Retin-A.

That leads to another question. I know I've read somewhere on this forum that Emu oil pushes products deeper into the skin. As someone just starting Retin-A, are there oils to avoid because they do that?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
That leads to another question. I know I've read somewhere on this forum that Emu oil pushes products deeper into the skin. As someone just starting Retin-A, are there oils to avoid because they do that?

That's a good question - and yes, I do use Emu Oil. I'm not sure if other oils are also "pushers", however, I would imagine that the healing element of oils outweighs any contra-effects.

I'm pretty sure that Dr Pickhardt from Skin Biology recommends the use of Emu Oil over Retin-A and CPs - but you might want to check that.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |