Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
nanoparticles in skin care - article on smartskincare.com
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.smartskincare.com/ingredients/nanoparticles_toxicity_risk_in_skin_care.html
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I know that some of Dr Todorov's comments before have come under criticism. I think he had a few things to say before about CPs, and people had difficulty in locating where he had studied or something or mainstream studies that he had taken part in.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I was reading an article not long ago about a Florida Sunscreen Symposium which had this to say:

Quote:
Unfortunately for the sun care industry, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have done an excellent job of spreading misinformation based on poor science to the consumer. As a result, there is growing public concern about the safety of nanoparticulate zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.

But Patricia Aikens of BASF provided details of a tape-stripping test that proved the materials do not penetrate the stratum corneum. According to her study, virtually the entire amount of both UV blocks applied was recovered in the first five stripping tapes with minute amounts recovered in subsequent strippings, presumably from skin folds and hair shafts. Moreover, no UV filter was found in the receptor fluid.

Finally, even when sunscreens were applied to compromised skin or even introduced directly into the bloodstream, they did not prove toxic to organs.

But for consumers still concerned about nano materials, Yun Shao of Kobo Products explained how silica or jojoba ester surface treatment can force primary particles to aggregate to a size over 100nm. While non-nano TiO2 was found to be too whitening, non-nano ZnO showed an acceptable transparency and attenuation power, according to Dr. Shao.

I would be interested in seeing the study referred to in the quote. I'll see if I can find it when I have more time.

I do agree, though, that topicals can enter the bloodstream through wounds, etc.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi Riley; if you would like to see a summary of the study on mice and nanoparticles in their drinking water, you can read more about it here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091116165739.htm

The Australian government has done a review of the scientific literature on nanoparticles in sunscreens, initially in 2007 and a further updated review earlier this year. They concluded that:

The potential for titanium dioxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles in sunscreens to cause adverse effects depends primarily upon the ability of the nanoparticles to reach viable skin cells; and
To date, the current weight of evidence suggests that titanium dioxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles do not reach viable skin cells; rather, they remain on the surface of the skin and in the outer layer of the skin that is composed of non-viable cells.

They further state that "The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) is continuing to monitor the emerging scientific literature to ensure appropriate action is taken should any tangible safety concerns be identified."

http://www.tga.gov.au/npmeds/sunscreen-zotd.htm#pdf

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
I was reading an article not long ago about a Florida Sunscreen Symposium which had this to say:

Quote:
Unfortunately for the sun care industry, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have done an excellent job of spreading misinformation based on poor science to the consumer. As a result, there is growing public concern about the safety of nanoparticulate zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.

But Patricia Aikens of BASF provided details of a tape-stripping test that proved the materials do not penetrate the stratum corneum. According to her study, virtually the entire amount of both UV blocks applied was recovered in the first five stripping tapes with minute amounts recovered in subsequent strippings, presumably from skin folds and hair shafts. Moreover, no UV filter was found in the receptor fluid.

Finally, even when sunscreens were applied to compromised skin or even introduced directly into the bloodstream, they did not prove toxic to organs.

But for consumers still concerned about nano materials, Yun Shao of Kobo Products explained how silica or jojoba ester surface treatment can force primary particles to aggregate to a size over 100nm. While non-nano TiO2 was found to be too whitening, non-nano ZnO showed an acceptable transparency and attenuation power, according to Dr. Shao.

I would be interested in seeing the study referred to in the quote. I'll see if I can find it when I have more time.

I do agree, though, that topicals can enter the bloodstream through wounds, etc.

I too have searched for the study by Aikens but can't find it; perhaps this is not a published research study but rather a test conducted in-house. Patricia Aikens PhD is/was the Technical Services Manager for BASF’s Cosmetic Solutions Business in North America. BASF is the developer of of T-Lite™ MAX™ titanium dioxide and Z-COTE® MAX™ zinc oxide which uses nanotechnology. These ingredients have a particle size of less than 200 nanometers. Because the visible spectrum starts at 400 nanometers, sunscreens containing these products are able to offer the least amount of whitening.

I was able to find a different research article which evaluated whether metallic nanoparticles smaller than 10 nm could penetrate and eventually permeate the skin. The authors results showed "nanoparticles were able to penetrate the hair follicle and stratum corneum (SC), occasionally reaching the viable epidermis. Yet, nanoparticles were unable to permeate the skin. These results represent a breakthrough in skin penetration because it is early evidence where rigid nanoparticles have been shown to passively reach the viable epidermis through the SC lipidic matrix." You can view it here:

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v127/n7/abs/5700733a.html

Perhaps we can cautiously conclude that topical application of nanoparticles is not a health concern, based on the current studies. However the ingestion of nanoparticle products may be of some concern. It has already been established that air-borne nanoparticles do affect the lungs when inhaled and for that reason I believe they are banned (or at least discouraged) from spray-on sunscreens.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info and comments, skippie and lacy. I don't think this really pertains but I did want to ask this question. My 302 Recovery Minerals has a warning on it about making sure you do not breath it in. Any comments regarding this? (I'll see if I can dig for the ingredients.)

http://www.302skincare.com/products_rmintrans.html
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:55 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks for the info and comments, skippie and lacy. I don't think this really pertains but I did want to ask this question. My 302 Recovery Minerals has a warning on it about making sure you do not breath it in. Any comments regarding this? (I'll see if I can dig for the ingredients.)

http://www.302skincare.com/products_rmintrans.html

riley - My Recovery Minerals (out of all the MMUs I have) do the 'best' (LOL) job of hanging around when applying. It is SO easy to inhale the particles used in it because of that. I always try to hold my breath and fan my face, but I worry that I still inhale some of it anyway. It does a great job as a SS, but not sure I will want to reorder it when it's gone.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. When I get a chance, I'll read all the links provided. I've saved some info on this from previous research, so maybe I can add to it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
riley - My Recovery Minerals (out of all the MMUs I have) do the 'best' (LOL) job of hanging around when applying. It is SO easy to inhale the particles used in it because of that. I always try to hold my breath and fan my face, but I worry that I still inhale some of it anyway. It does a great job as a SS, but not sure I will want to reorder it when it's gone.

Thanks for bringing up this topic. When I get a chance, I'll read all the links provided. I've saved some info on this from previous research, so maybe I can add to it.

Totally agree. I love the Recovery Minerals for the sun protection. They work great. I still use the 302 liquid sunscreen and then apply the Recovery Minerals on top. I also hold my breath when I apply it, but I am concerned about it, also. I am nearing the end of my jar, and I don't know if I will re-order them either, just due to the "breathing in" factor!
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl, thanks a lot for starting this topic. When I first heard about nanoparticles I was excited to think that actives could actually penetrate the skin. I always believed that they just stayed on top and didn't penetrate the epidermis, so even though I used them I didn't really think they worked (Just HOPE).

Then I read a few articles like this one and became concerned. All articles were urging caution in the use of nanoparticles in cosmetics because there were no studies on the cumulative effects over time and, as the FDA didn't regulate the cosmetic industry, there was nobody responsible for the ethical manufacture of products. Large cosmetic companies are in business to make money. If they have a product that customers see works (ie it penetrates the dermis and does affect the skin surface), it will definitely improve their sales, so they'll run with it. Whether the companies actually include nanoparticles in the ingredient list is debatable. I have no faith in cosmetic companies and look at the ingredient lists, check out the ingredients see what others have said about it and then make up my mind. However, if it's not there in the first place, how can we make an informed choice?

Apparently one reason that titanium dioxide doesn't remain white on the face is because it is delivered to the skin in nanosomes or liposomes.

I still think the future of skincare is exciting but we need to see many more independent studies completed before we can feel confident in their use.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Here's an article about possible future regulation on nanos:

http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Publications/Cosmetics/CosmeticsDesign.com/Formulation-Science/International-regulation-bodies-move-towards-global-nano-regulation/?c=f44MNo67P9YLiweelkpDsA%3D%3D&utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2BDaily
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
miss anna wrote:
I still think the future of skincare is exciting but we need to see many more independent studies completed before we can feel confident in their use.

I agree! Thanks for posting the link to the possible regulation on the nanos in cosmetics! Very interesting.
Oubeautiskin

Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl,

Thanks for bringing this up. I am using 302 Recovery Minerals too and now i'm worried after reading the Smartskincare article on nanoparticles....I tried to find the warning about not breathing it in on the Recovery Minerals but could not find it, is the warning stated on the enclosed instruction sheet (mine did not have any enclosed instruction sheet) or is it on the container or packaging? Do you think Dr Huber will be able to help us with our concerns?

Thanks
Cecilia
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Oubeautiskin wrote:
Hi Rileygirl,

Thanks for bringing this up. I am using 302 Recovery Minerals too and now i'm worried after reading the Smartskincare article on nanoparticles....I tried to find the warning about not breathing it in on the Recovery Minerals but could not find it, is the warning stated on the enclosed instruction sheet (mine did not have any enclosed instruction sheet) or is it on the container or packaging? Do you think Dr Huber will be able to help us with our concerns?

Thanks
Cecilia

Hi, Cecilia. I am trying to remember where I read that info. I think it was on the paperwork. Unfortunately, I threw all my product sheets out when I stopped using the products. Maybe foxe will remember!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
One easy soultion is to mix the Mineral makeup into your moisturizer and then apply. I have found this works with all the MMU brands I have and you can adjust to the desired coverage needed on an individual basis. Minimises breathing the particles into your lungs.
I was also under the impression it is the Zinc Oxide that is white and not the Titanium Dioxide, as I have actually purchased them both and made my own MMU in the past, the Titaniun Dioxide is what gives the color while Zinc Oxide is pure white.

HTH
DM Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:32 am      Reply with quote
That is one thing I really love about the liquid minerals foundation - you don't have to worry about breathing it in. But I do wonder about loose finishing powder. I'm using my own DIY powder and I've include micronized zinc in it. I powder my nose with it several times - but only after applying my foundation - because that's where I get really oily. I'm almost positive I'm breathing some in.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Skippie,
I know what you are saying, even if you mix any MMU the finishing "veil" really only works dry! I just think about all the other bad stuff we breath in and use natural methods of cleaning things in and around the house. The pollution from exhaust ect. what can we do, there is so much from inside buildings to the great outdoors that is full of nasties we breath every day I sometimes think about the whole Don't sweat the small stuff mentality! We can drive ourselves crazy with it all!

DM Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Nanoparticles could potentially be dangerous for humans and the environment. I really hope that the cosmetic industry will become more sensible with the use of it.

In the UK, Soil Association bans nanomaterials from organic products.
"There should be no place for nanoparticles in health and beauty products or food," says Gundula Azeez, Soil Association policy manager.

Read
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jan/15/organics.nanotechnology
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting information about mineral cosmetic ingredients and nanoparticles, I think it might just ease your minds!

http://blog.aromaleigh.com/blog/ingredient-information/

HTH
DM

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |