Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Anti-Ageing: Acid Alkali pH Balance
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
A number of posters have shown an interest to discuss and promote information on pH balance and how it effects our health and its anti-ageing abilities.

I only recently discovered the importance of how acid and alkali maintains the workings of our bodies by reading a small but concise book called The Acid Alkaline Food Guide by Dr. Susan E. Brown & Larry Trivieri.

Basically we - especially in the West - are suffering from Acidosis; we have too much acid-making food and drinks in our diet. Did you know that milk saps your bones of calcium - all dairy products do - infact good old parmesan cheese is one of the worst culprits. This is because dairy and infact all animal products when digested become acidic. To help pass acidic food through your digestive system (namely kidneys) your body has to neutralise it by producing alkaline - if we don't digest alkali-making food with our acid making food, the body makes alkali from our greatest alkali source - our bones. This is why osteoporosis is rising in the West along with our dairy consumption. Did you know one of the best ways to add alkaline to your diet is by drinking water with juice from half a lemon?

This book has turned everything I know upside down. It consists of an indepth food guide - ranging from veg, fish to fast food and lists whether they are high, med or low acid or alkali making. Basically you can eat - and in the case of protein-making dairy products, you must eat - anything as long as you balance it. What the book also explains is how important it is to have a good pH balance - our whole health depends on it - from anti-ageing to cancer-fighting and fatigue-beating.

Can anyone who has been living with a good pH-balanced diet for many years share their experiences?
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Miranda, i've been consciously following an acid/alkaline diet for 30 years..and have consulted with Susan Brown several times over the past 10 years or so.

a couple of things to add to what you've already said...and i don't know how to explain this scientifically....but even if one is eating the correct percentages of a/a....one's body can still be acid cause of other factors at 'play'....and also, although lemon water is a quick, easy way to alkalinize your body, i really rely on green powdered drinks (with no fillers..like green kamut for example), green energy soups, etc...firstly cause i'm sensitive to fruit and it causes inflamation, indigestion, and i'm also sure, therefore an acid reaction in my body(one of those other factors at 'play')...and because i'm also sensitive to eating locally & seasonally... and i live in north usa.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Jasminerosey - Can you elaborate on the green drink with no filler statement? And make some suggestions. There is a book on Amazon that encourages the use of Greens Plus as a drink to alkalinize the blood.

Do you or have used PH strips to check? What does susan Brown think of the effectiveness of using these?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for starting this topic.

I have loosely followed the diet for 9 months after reading a book - The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health

Besides the above book, I have done a lot of internet searches (because my mom has cancer), and it stated that 100% of cancer patients' body are acid. I searched more and found Japanese and Chinese also talk a lot about PH balance. There are 2 books that I got are written by a Japanese Doctor, he explained all in details on how important of the diet and exercise.

I drank the drank Barley Grass juice (in powder form) in May to July 2009, did not see much difference, then my mom told me that barley grass is actually very 'cold' in TCM.

As Chinese, we actaully don't eat as much meat as the Westerners, and I have switched to eat whole grain for 3+ years, so overall, I believe I'm quite on the akaline side - just my guess.

And for mom, she ate many seafood when she was young, and in the old days, she did not taking very good care of what she ate.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:29 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:

I drank the drank Barley Grass juice (in powder form) in May to July 2009, did not see much difference, then my mom told me that barley grass is actually very 'cold' in TCM.

Hi Critic, I'm so glad you've joined this discussion as your Eastern knowledge will be invaluable.

You often mention 'cold' with food; is cold relating to acidic?

So sorry to hear about your mum's illness. I'm using this pH knowledge to protect my children's future health - my book also mentions the cancer connection with over-acidity.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for starting this topic Miranda! After starting the green smoothies, I've become so much more aware about how one's diet can impact not only one's health, but more importantly, one's complexion! Very Happy Just kidding... ah, vanity.

One question regarding dairy foods-- so how do you make sure that your kids are getting enough calcium? Is the calcium in veggies adequate to maintain bone health and/or growing bones? I've also heard that the calcium in dairy products is not easily absorbed by the body, but I did not realize that it was because of triggering an acidic response.

I have many, many other questions, but will try not to overwhelm!

On a side note, I had a friend in Korea who really wanted their first child to be a boy, and so she read up on a few books describing the optimal acidic/ alkaline state of the woman's and man's respective bodies in order to increase the likelihood of conceiving a boy. (Pretty appalling in my opinion, but interesting.) Now she has 2 boys and 1 girl.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:34 am      Reply with quote
well I am not glad to hear that about diary product. Diary products (not milk) are my favourite food - cheese, cream, yogurt - I am surviving of that and I eat this every single day Confused I think that most of the proteins in my diet are from diary.
I am addict - I don't drink, I don't smoke - I eat cheese and that's my vice.

Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:35 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
Thanks for starting this topic Miranda! After starting the green smoothies, I've become so much more aware about how one's diet can impact not only one's health, but more importantly, one's complexion! Very Happy Just kidding... ah, vanity.

One question regarding dairy foods-- so how do you make sure that your kids are getting enough calcium? Is the calcium in veggies adequate to maintain bone health and/or growing bones? I've also heard that the calcium in dairy products is not easily absorbed by the body, but I did not realize that it was because of triggering an acidic response.

I have many, many other questions, but will try not to overwhelm!

On a side note, I had a friend in Korea who really wanted their first child to be a boy, and so she read up on a few books describing the optimal acidic/ alkaline state of the woman's and man's respective bodies in order to increase the likelihood of conceiving a boy. (Pretty appalling in my opinion, but interesting.) Now she has 2 boys and 1 girl.

On the calcium question - and this is important - you must continue to eat acid-making foods. It's especially important that children get protein and calcium in their diet.
What I've learnt is that along with eating fish, meat and dairy products is that you have to eat fruit, veg and other alkali-making foods (although not all fruit & veg make alkaline - you really need to purchase a guide!). It's all about balance.
With your green smoothies, you'll be getting plenty of alkali - although if you use spinach as I do, this is actually low grade acid-making!
Please ask questions; it's the best way to get the facts out there Smile
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:44 am      Reply with quote
An extract from The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide:
Premature Ageing and Accelerated Ageing Muscle Loss
Another consequence of chronic low-grade metabolic acidosis is premature ageing. This is due in part to the fact that even a slight tilt toward metabolic acidosis impairs cellular function. By impairing cellular function, acidosis prevents cells from properly producing and maintaining the proteins needed for cellular repair. And without the ability to repair themselves, cells age.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:56 am      Reply with quote
Does the book address what is the optimal acid/ alkaline balance, given one's stage of life, or physical needs?

I wonder whether, because growing children need more calcium & protein than adults, their bodies need to be in a more acidic state, compared to adults who should probably eat more alkaline foods just to maintain their health. Similarly, it seems that high-performance athletes need to consume a considerably higher amount of protein (acid-forming) to help rebuild the wear & tear on their bodies & improve their performance.

And pertaining to mirjana's comment: is all dairy acid forming? It seems that yogurt might actually be OK, not just for the probiotics, but perhaps even alkaline forming?
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:31 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
critic wrote:

Hi Critic, I'm so glad you've joined this discussion as your Eastern knowledge will be invaluable.

You often mention 'cold' with food; is cold relating to acidic?

So sorry to hear about your mum's illness. I'm using this pH knowledge to protect my children's future health - my book also mentions the cancer connection with over-acidity.

Cold in TCM is not acid. TCM recommends us to eat red meat and pork if you are lacking of qi or body's yin/yang not balance. The Chinese drs always comment my complexion is too pale, because I am not eating enough meat. I believe the theory of TCM has not much to do with PH diet.

Anyway, what I am doing now is trying to make a well balance on the food choice. However, my kids health are doing so much better after I follow all the common guidelines which I listed in the TCM thread.

I want to let you know that I will eat lots of lots of veggies, but will slightly cook them instead of eating salad. It's too cold in TCM.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:38 am      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
well I am not glad to hear that about diary product. Diary products (not milk) are my favourite food - cheese, cream, yogurt - I am surviving of that and I eat this every single day Confused I think that most of the proteins in my diet are from diary.
I am addict - I don't drink, I don't smoke - I eat cheese and that's my vice.

Sad

I have quit milk for many years, I can guarantee your skin will be so much better if you quit milk. There is always a debate about drink or don't drink milk. I am not a professional, but for my kids, I breastfeed for the first year, and no milk starting from the 2nd year. My son actually hates milk.

I have read a report from Harvard about why we can't drink milk, you probably be able to search it online.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:40 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
Does the book address what is the optimal acid/ alkaline balance, given one's stage of life, or physical needs?

Alkaline/acid - I have to ask one thing more which is not directly connected (but maybe it is).
I don't prefer acid food - by that I mean really acid - as when you add vinegar to salad. All salads and vegetables I eat, I am eating without dressing (just olive oil). When I said that I don't prefer that's mean that I can even imagine to eat it. I can't. I have one kind of resistance in my body against vinegar for an example. Is that mean something?

In the other hand - I have strong urge to eat white food. And that's why I eat so much diary products. It is weird, but it last whole my life.

Sorry if this is a little OT, but that's something what interested me from a long time.
Can our instinct tell us something about balance or dis balance in our bodies?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Here is a food list, if I remember well, you eat 30% acid 70% alkaline:

http://www.balance-ph-diet.com/acid_alkaline_food_chart.html
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 am      Reply with quote
http://www.phionbalance.com/ph-balancing-products
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
JLM wrote:

Alkaline/acid - I have to ask one thing more which is not directly connected (but maybe it is).
I don't prefer acid food - by that I mean really acid - as when you add vinegar to salad. All salads and vegetables I eat, I am eating without dressing (just olive oil). When I said that I don't prefer that's mean that I can even imagine to eat it. I can't. I have one kind of resistance in my body against vinegar for an example. Is that mean something?

In the other hand - I have strong urge to eat white food. And that's why I eat so much diary products. It is weird, but it last whole my life.

Sorry if this is a little OT, but that's something what interested me from a long time.
Can our instinct tell us something about balance or dis balance in our bodies?

The taste of acid is not = the body's acid. e.g. lemon is actually alkaline when it goes into our body. It's a chemical process, I think Miranda can explain more.
piglet
5% products discount

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:26 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to chime in. I'm not very familiar with acid/alkaline apart from some basic stuff.
But about vinegar... not all vinegars are created equal. Apple Cider Vinegar is well known for its benefits as a food and a tonic. Try to avoid commercially prepared vinegars because of the additives - I think there's a type of artificial sweetener or additive that's unhealthy. The same ingredient is also found in some soft drinks and in preserved gherkins/cucumbers etc. If I can find out what this is, I'll post.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:43 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:

I wonder whether, because growing children need more calcium & protein than adults, their bodies need to be in a more acidic state, compared to adults who should probably eat more alkaline foods just to maintain their health. Similarly, it seems that high-performance athletes need to consume a considerably higher amount of protein (acid-forming) to help rebuild the wear & tear on their bodies & improve their performance.

And pertaining to mirjana's comment: is all dairy acid forming? It seems that yogurt might actually be OK, not just for the probiotics, but perhaps even alkaline forming?

No one should be acidic. Children do need protein & calcium and should eat them. The key word is balance - if a child eats alot of dairy products (mine do), they should also eat alot of fruit, veg & herbs (berries & melons are particularly good). Certain brands of bottled water are also very high in alkaline (San Pellegrino & Sanfaustino).
Fish is acid-making but of course fish is good for you, just eat some veg with it or of course squeeze on the lemon juice!
Yogurt is acid-making, all derivatives of milk are. I guess a natural yogurt with fresh strawberries would be a healthy alternative.
piglet
5% products discount

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:48 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to know more about this topic. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post titles of books we can read? Or books members have found particularly helpful.
I've just googled a book called 'The Actid Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health.' Can anyone recommend this one?

I also think it's a case of trial and error. My sister went raw and drank wheatgrass smoothies. And this didn't agree with her at all. There are so many factors to consider. We're all different types and some will need more protein than others, for instance. Maybe some people even benefit from having higher ratios of acidity than others. Enter the food coach!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 am      Reply with quote
piglet wrote:
I also think it's a case of trial and error. My sister went raw and drank wheatgrass smoothies. And this didn't agree with her at all. There are so many factors to consider. We're all different types and some will need more protein than others, for instance. Maybe some people even benefit from having higher ratios of acidity than others. Enter the food coach!

I totally agree. I do not think every person will benefit from this or any diet. Everyone is an individual with individual needs. It is a trial and error to see what works for your own body.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:04 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:

The taste of acid is not = the body's acid. e.g. lemon is actually alkaline when it goes into our body. It's a chemical process, I think Miranda can explain more.

Whenever you eat food, it is metabolized or broken down for use in the body.
This is very complex and beyond my full understanding but basically some foods end up contributing alkalizing bicarbonate to the body's system, others end up producing acids. For example, the potassium citrate found in many fruits and vegetables is transformed through metabolism to potassium bicarbonate, which is a source of alkalizing bicarbonate. On the other hand, foods rich in sulfur-containing amino acids - high protein foods such as red meat, poultry and fish, as well as many grains and beans - are metabolized to produce a residue of sulfuric acid in the body These foods are thus acid-forming.
You have to learn which foods add to the body's alkali reserves, which can be used to neutralise acids, or contributing to free acids, which the body must then neutralise. Often a food most people think is acidifying has just the opposite effect once it is metabolised. Lemons and limes have a highly alkalising effect, even though they are chemically acidic. This is true for all citrus fruits as well as some vinegars. Nor are all inherently non-acidic foods alkalizing after they are consumed. Chicken certainly doesn't seem acidic but when metabolised by the body, it has a moderately acidifying effect.

(Information taken from Dr. Susan Brown).
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:10 am      Reply with quote
piglet wrote:
I'd like to know more about this topic. Perhaps it would be a good idea to post titles of books we can read? Or books members have found particularly helpful.
I've just googled a book called 'The Actid Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health.' Can anyone recommend this one?

You have to read about it to truly understand how wrong this statement is (sorry Piglet!). There is so much more to learn than we have touched here, it goes right down to molecular level.
No one is healthy when they have their pH level inclined to acidity. However most people probably do balance their body correctly without realising it - that's the great thing about learning about this - I hate to use the word - 'diet'. It's not really a diet, it's more an education on how our bodies function and a way of learning how to balance food types and why it's so important to do so.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Just to add, I tested my pH and it's pretty good. I love milk, cheese, chicken and white bread & pasta! These are a huge part of my food intake. But I also drink alot of bottled water and eat tons of berries and satsumas. I will never deny myself something I enjoy but the knowledge I have gained by learning about pH is priceless IMO.
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Uh important question for me... green tea? That's my second * spam alert * Smile

BTW Thanks Miranda, this is very interesting. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 am      Reply with quote
piglet wrote:

I also think it's a case of trial and error. My sister went raw and drank wheatgrass smoothies. And this didn't agree with her at all.

I believe wheatgrass would be acid-forming as was Critic's barley-grass juice.

Any book that lists the foods in terms of high/med/low acid or alkali forming would be good (and it should be fairly recently published - last 5 years? - as they're finding new stuff all the time).
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |