Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
5th day of Obagi and I'm ready to give up
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:17 am      Reply with quote
My skin is quite ok, I do have some sunspots that I wanted to get rid of and I was recommended to use Obagi.
I'm now on my 5th day, my whole face has pealed off and the mouth area is still flaking and it burns and itches of course. from what I understand from reading the posts I have a "normal Obagi face" and I'm ready to deal with the flaking but this is just so painful!

I woke up several times last night, even took painkillers, surely that can't be normal...or is it?

I just don't understand how anyone can go through this for weeks at the time, I'm not surviving even a week...
Any recommendations is highly appreciated as I'm already regretting the $700 I spent on this
Kerryshka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm at day 5 too! I had a similar experience and so cut down on the retin-a to every other day and I totally avoid the area around my mouth. Also, I use aquaphor on my lips and around my eyes. HTH.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
My skin is quite ok, I do have some sunspots that I wanted to get rid of and I was recommended to use Obagi.
I'm now on my 5th day, my whole face has pealed off and the mouth area is still flaking and it burns and itches of course. from what I understand from reading the posts I have a "normal Obagi face" and I'm ready to deal with the flaking but this is just so painful!

I woke up several times last night, even took painkillers, surely that can't be normal...or is it?

I just don't understand how anyone can go through this for weeks at the time, I'm not surviving even a week...
Any recommendations is highly appreciated as I'm already regretting the $700 I spent on this

I think if you are having that much trouble that you are using painkillers, you should really see a derm/doc. No, you are right that this is not normal. Do not put any of the products on any raw/open areas of your face. I would actually stop everything until you see someone. Did you get your products from a derm/doc? And, are you under someone's supervision while using the products?
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your support!

I do see a doc yes, and speaking to her yesterday she said that I had an unusual strong reaction and adviced me to let my skin rest for a bit.
I let my skin rest for about 24 hours and just applied a tiny amount of Tret. last night, mixed with a lot of blender and yes avoiding the mouth area, Kerryshka
That I even put anything back on my face after the first days is really beyond me, but.. it helped!

Today (day 6) my skin is still quite dry, I still have double the wrinkles around my eyes than before but overall the skin is SO much better and now my face is in a condition that I can live with.
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 am      Reply with quote
I think its great that as soon as you realised by the 5th day that your skin was reacting so strongly to the tretinoin that you spoke to your Doc and got the answer and advice you needed. When I first started using just tretinoin on it's own before I started with the full Obagi range I had read on so many forums about how people skin reacted to it, it would range from one extreme to another! A small percentage with ultra sensitive skin can never tolerate it, they always suggest that you ease in, to avoid the rough transition. For a little amount it's amazing the impact it can have on your skin. I was one of the lucky one who was able to tolerate it without too many side effects...I'm on my 5th week of the Nu Derm system and so far the results have been really worthwhile. So take it slow and be gentle to yourself.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your kind reply fongflyer5

I really wouldn't start this without talking to a doc/derm, as the results vary so much and it's difficult to know what to do.

also, I wonder.. I didn't get any sunscreen as my derm said I could use whatever sunscreen I have at home, but I read on the forum that you shouldn't use any other products while on Obagi..

it's Christmas time and I won't be able to get hold of my derm until after new years.
I do live in Norway though, so it's really not a big problem this time of year Smile
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:25 am      Reply with quote
I live in Australia where Sunscreen is almost a religion! We have a really high skin cancer rate, so sunscreen is a necessity. I did get the Obagi sunscreen but I also use La Roche Posay sunscreen with Mexoryl. Before I started on Obagi I really didn't understand "how" sunscreens work! Now I've educated myself so much on the topic! The reason why Obagi have included step 6, which is the use of a sunscreen is that the tretinoin makes your skin really sensitive to the sun and sunlight, which is why you only use it at night. Regardless of the season I would still think the use of a sunscreen an important step in your regime. One of the major contributing factor to how our skin looks is because of the sun and the damage it does. Remember sunscreen is used by people who ski !
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:48 am      Reply with quote
I normally use a facial cream with sunscreen in and since I have spent a lot of time in Asia (and therefor have these sunspots), it's become almost a religion too.

Just wasn't sure if using another brand would hurt the "process" but since my doc said I could use whatever I had, I guess it's ok
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Btw, Think I read on the forum that someone thinks tretinoin is banned in Australia... I guess is not then if you can get it there, or do you order online?
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:50 am      Reply with quote
No Tretinoin isn't banned in Australia, it's prescription only. You can also buy it OTC at any pharmacy in Thailand for $10 US! It'sold under the brand name Retin A.

But 4%hydroquinone is banned in Australia, Asia and in parts of Europe! America and Canada are the only 2 countries were it's still available. I order these online and have it shipped to Australia, but I also have a shipping address in San Francisco which helps as I travel to the States every few months.

I notice that the Obagi products don't include a moisturizer so I never used a sunscreen which has a moisturizer in it... unfortunately all the really good sunscreens without a moisturizer does leaves your face with a white film, which isn't the most attractive look.

I found the products really did help fade the sunspots. Once you get thru the initial first few weeks of the horrible peeling, flakiness and sunburnt red look you do see results. I also just read an article saying that summer is a "actually a good time to start on tretinion, because the humidity makes your skin less likely to dry out as it adjust" ... so the winter season in Norway isn't helping you at the moment.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:01 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
I normally use a facial cream with sunscreen in and since I have spent a lot of time in Asia (and therefor have these sunspots), it's become almost a religion too.

Just wasn't sure if using another brand would hurt the "process" but since my doc said I could use whatever I had, I guess it's ok

You can use whatever sunscreen you have, but make sure it is a good one. You want SPF 30 while on hydroquinone.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:03 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
Thanks for your support!

I do see a doc yes, and speaking to her yesterday she said that I had an unusual strong reaction and adviced me to let my skin rest for a bit.
I let my skin rest for about 24 hours and just applied a tiny amount of Tret. last night, mixed with a lot of blender and yes avoiding the mouth area, Kerryshka
That I even put anything back on my face after the first days is really beyond me, but.. it helped!

Today (day 6) my skin is still quite dry, I still have double the wrinkles around my eyes than before but overall the skin is SO much better and now my face is in a condition that I can live with.

I am glad you talked to your derm. That is very smart. Put Aquaphor at the corners of your mouth before you apply the products and that will cut down on the problems in that area.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Blueeyes,
I started with the Obagi sunscreen but when I ran out I purchased NIA 24 instead. The one thing about sunscreens that has made a real difference to me is to make sure that it is a PHYSICAL sunscreen and not a chemical one. I always freckle in the summer, but didn't this time and I attribute it to the type of sunscreen I used.

Hope all of you current Obagi users are doing well! It's great to hear about your progress.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:06 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
The one thing about sunscreens that has made a real difference to me is to make sure that it is a PHYSICAL sunscreen and not a chemical one.

I agree. The physical sunscreens are the only ones that work for me, as well. That said, not all physical sunscreens keep my freckles off, and it will unfortunately be a trial and error!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
kims wrote:
The one thing about sunscreens that has made a real difference to me is to make sure that it is a PHYSICAL sunscreen and not a chemical one.

I agree. The physical sunscreens are the only ones that work for me, as well. That said, not all physical sunscreens keep my freckles off, and it will unfortunately be a trial and error!

Hi Rileygirl,
Don't you just hate the "trial and error" thing?? I just want to make sure something works or doesn't work -- right now!! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your answers!

It has really helped a lot reading all your answers and postings on the forum.
I'm ready to go on to day 7 now, and starting to get very glad I didn't give up!

About 4%hydroquinone, it is available in Norway, we usually ban "everything" so I think it's strange that this is available
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:01 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Rileygirl,
Don't you just hate the "trial and error" thing?? I just want to make sure something works or doesn't work -- right now!! Laughing

Me, too! Wouldn't it be great if it all really worked? Very Happy
fongflyer5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I posted a reply a few days ago about how great my skin was becomming! I live in Australia where the humidity of summer has rely made the transition to the Obagi irritating products alot more easier. However, this past week I've been in American where the change in the weather has really reflected a change in my skin. I notice now after using the retin A/ blender at night how much drier, tighter and red my skin is. I'm leaving for the warmer weather of home today, so I'll be interested to see how my skin responses.

I also have to agree with rileygirl about the physical sunscreen. I just purchased the shiseido 60+++ which has 13.5% zinc. It actually feels really good and doesn't leave that white film that alot of zinc based sunscreen do. Any suggestions for other sunscreen. I read Kims is using NIA 24, how are you finding that.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Fongflyer5,
I would imagine that moisture levels in the air could affect how your skin reacts to Nuderm. I started in the spring and summer where the humidity probably helped, just as you've noticed that a dryer climate (and possibly cooler) can make it more difficult and uncomfortable as your face can become tight and dry. I think humidity levels can definitely affect our skin's natural ability to hydrate itself.

I'm still using NIA 24 sunscreen, and it's working for me right now. I used it through the summer while using Nuderm and did not get any new freckles or additional sunspots -- which is a very big deal for me!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
fongflyer5 wrote:
I live in Australia where Sunscreen is almost a religion! We have a really high skin cancer rate, so sunscreen is a necessity. I did get the Obagi sunscreen but I also use La Roche Posay sunscreen with Mexoryl. Before I started on Obagi I really didn't understand "how" sunscreens work! Now I've educated myself so much on the topic! The reason why Obagi have included step 6, which is the use of a sunscreen is that the tretinoin makes your skin really sensitive to the sun and sunlight, which is why you only use it at night. Regardless of the season I would still think the use of a sunscreen an important step in your regime. One of the major contributing factor to how our skin looks is because of the sun and the damage it does. Remember sunscreen is used by people who ski !

hi~ i am in australia 2. it is suncream works good? any help to prevent getting dark skin?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |