Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Your thoughts about CeraVe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:14 am      Reply with quote
When I told my dermatologist that I was only using my Retin A twice a week because of winter dryness, he strongly suggested I use it EVERYDAY and layer it with CeraVe. Well, I have posted many times about being very "old school" and using RA only straight up, but now I am actually considering adding a moisturizer so I can use RA more frequently. Does anyone use CeraVe (available in drugstores in USA) with RA?--or what do you layer it with? I have no idea what the ingredients are in CeraVe and if the Doc is just promoting this product for other reasons?! (he had lots of discount coupons laying around for this product.)

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Funny you should mention Cerave. The cosmetic cop website rates it as an excellent pick in her reviews. I don't use it because I can't get it living in Canada. Your dermatologist isn't promoting it because lots of people are raving about how great a moisturizer it is.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:56 am      Reply with quote
I've been using this moisturizer for a while now.
I use it to layer with tazorac sometimes, if my skin is feeling extra sensitive that night (I tolerate taz very well though).
I like the lotion, its very light yet effective and most important I've not had any issues with it causing break outs.

If you write the company they will send you samples. I'm kind of surprised your derm didn't have samples to give you.

Lotion ingredients:
Water (Purified), Glycerin, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting ingredients GirlieGirl. Honestly, I don't know much about most of them, but they don't sound so good...especially the parabens.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
mountiangirl,

A more natural alternative for winter dry skin might be Burt Bees:

Ingredients: prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, water, beeswax, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, kaolin, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, chondrus crispus (carrageenan) extract, fragrance, glucose, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase, tocopherol, sodium borate

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/face-moisturizers/beeswax-moisturizing-night-creme.html

They have day cream as well, it realy protects the skin!

HTH
DM

Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I discovered CeraVe about a month ago and I LOVE it. I do use RA but don't necessarily layer it with this. I just use my CeraVe as needed for extra moisture. I tried it after reading the threads on improving the skin barrier and this came up in my search. I have tried both the lotion and the cream and by far prefer the cream, but my skin is dry to normal. I just wish the cream came in something other than an enormous tub. Confused
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:31 am      Reply with quote
I love cerave cleanser. It is my holy grail cleanser for my sensitive skin. The lotion and cream were just ok for me. I use eucerin original cream and mix that with taz.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:13 am      Reply with quote
These are the ingredients for the face cream. I found over 200 reviews on this over at drugstore.com

Water (Purified), Glycerin, Ceteareth 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phytosphingosine, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

Looking at the ingredients, I would prefer the one recommended by DarkMoon, and will keep that in mind when I next go shopping for a buffer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:55 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG,

Having spent most of my life in the north, with bitter winter temperatures and wind chill factors hitting below zero, I have used this over serums at night especially for those windburned cheeks! I even used it for my kids after days of playing out in the snow and wind! It is a bit heavier in feel than a typical cream but it doesn't just lay on the skin! I find as a barrier cream that is mostly natural it's great!

IMHO
DM
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:
These are the ingredients for the face cream. I found over 200 reviews on this over at drugstore.com

Water (Purified), Glycerin, Ceteareth 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phytosphingosine, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

Looking at the ingredients, I would prefer the one recommended by DarkMoon, and will keep that in mind when I next go shopping for a buffer.

I haven't used the Cerave, but the ingredients in it are specifically to repair the skin barrier (ceramides, cholesterol, etc). DM's looks nice, but it is not intended for the same thing.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl,

I agree it isn't a repair cream, it does soothe irritated skin and definatlly creates a barrier on the skin. I posted it as a Natural alternitive for a barrier cream, not a repair cream!

DM
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
rileygirl,

I agree it isn't a repair cream, it does soothe irritated skin and definatlly creates a barrier on the skin. I posted it as a Natural alternitive for a barrier cream, not a repair cream!

DM
Very Happy

I understand, DM, just wanted to point out that the Cerave was specifically formulated for the barrier repair, and maybe that would explain some of the ingredients for people!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I understand Riley! Clarification is always welcome!
Happy Holidays!

DM

rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
rileygirl,

DM
Very Happy

I understand, DM, just wanted to point out that the Cerave was specifically formulated for the barrier repair, and maybe that would explain some of the ingredients for people!
Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't used the lotion or cream, but the cleanser is very nice and gentle. Smile

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
My dermatologist recommended the CeraVe cream for me and I like it. It's a bit thick and a little goes a long way. You can feel a little residue on the surface after application but it works so great in the winter when the weather is dry that I can't complain!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I use both CeraVe cleanser and lotion, as well as Tazorac. The cleanser is very similar to Cetaphil in terms of texture, but I understand it has ceramides in to to promote barrier repair. It's an OK cleanser, I just prefer the 'tighter' feeling of foaming cleansers even though I know it's bad. As for the lotion, I generally layer it Taz with about 20 mins in between. However, it isn't really rich enough for me in the winters so I layer a DIY oil with vit C + E on top about an hour after the Taz application to 'seal in' everything and boost the vit A in the Taz . I've tried the cream before, but I'm not too fond of the tub packaging. All in all, I find the CeraVe product line pretty good at keeping sensitive skin free of irritation, and I even think its effects are comparable to the much more expensive prescription only Mimyx. HTH!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I noticed the cerave cleanser and maybee lotion are kept behind the pharmacy counter. Why is that? You don't need a prescription but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have used both the lotion and the cream and both resulted in lots of clogged pores. I am very clog prone and acne prone so many moisturizers do not work for me. I use the generic cetaphil lotion and its working for me so who knows...they feel like the same product to me but one clogs pores.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
I noticed the cerave cleanser and maybee lotion are kept behind the pharmacy counter. Why is that? You don't need a prescription but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it.

I often wonder about this, some non prescription items are always behind the pharmacy counter? Maybe they are things that tend to walk off on their own or they have another reason? I guess the best thing would be to ask! LOL

DM

5% products discount

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I love CeraVe. i use tazorac and it was so painful until i started using CeraVe underneath it. It's cheap (about $13) for a large bottle. It has ceramides in it as well so it's a pretty good deal. Before using Cerave I used Purpose moisturizer and it wasn't very good w the Taz.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:

I always see it out with the regular skin care. I've never had to ask at the pharmacy counter for it. But it is sometimes rx'd as combined with a prescription medication for example Finacea Plus is finacea with Cerave cleanser & lotion.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
happygolucky wrote:
I love CeraVe. i use tazorac and it was so painful until i started using CeraVe underneath it. It's cheap (about $13) for a large bottle. It has ceramides in it as well so it's a pretty good deal. Before using Cerave I used Purpose moisturizer and it wasn't very good w the Taz.

Happygolucky....So are you saying you put the CeraVe on first, then your Taz?

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
happygolucky wrote:

Happygolucky....So are you saying you put the CeraVe on first, then your Taz?

Wouldn't that prevent the Taz or Retin A from getting on the skin??

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your experiences with CeraVe. I decided to go for it, but the drug stores around here were not only out of it, but had waiting lists of people wanting the cream! The last place I looked for it was Target but there was none on the shelves there either. Then I remembered someone posting that they sometimes keep it behind the pharmacy counter. Sure 'nuff, they had it there Thanks ya'll!
Most folks wouldn't know it was there and that's the only reason I was lucky enough to find it. Wow! It is very moisturizing. I like it on my hands...going to try it on my chapped face tonight. Thanks....

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl,

YEAH! I am glad you found it and are happy with it, so far so good! Smile Smile Smile Smile

DM

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |