Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Formulating Pearl Powder/Cream/Paste
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sweetsweettart
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:26 am      Reply with quote
I have read some recipes for pearl pastes and such that include multiple ingredients. However, can a paste be made with just water? or would it evaporate out after a few days? I would like to just make a pure paste and then I could use it alone or mix it with whatever moisture I am using at the moment. Should I do a teaspoon or tablespoon at a time of pearl powder? and then just keep adding a little warm water at a time until it get thick? help please. thank you.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
You would probably be better off just mixing a little bit of the powder in your hand with distilled water freshly as needed...

Just mixing the pearl powder with water wouldn't be stable for more that a couple of days (I don't think!)..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sweetsweettart
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
ok. so it will mix into a paste with just water. yes it wouldn't be much trouble to make fresh, small amount, as a mask or spot treatment, and use up within a day or two.

what about adding it to my favorite moisturizer? How many spoons of powder would I need to add to about 2tablespoons of lotion? Is there a certain percent of concentration it should be used at in order to be effective?

thanks
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
What are the benefits of using pearl powder?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
What are the benefits of using pearl powder?

JJ Beacham posted this on another forum
Here goes....

The current medical studies demonstrate that pearl powder has the following pharmaceutical functions to support the records of traditional Chinese medicine:

Both oral administration and topical application of pearl powder will:

Improve the skin nutrition and metabolism, promote the proliferation of healthy new cells, retain the water in epidermal layer, purge brown spots and other dark freckles in skin, thus reduce wrinkles and make the skin whiter, finer, smoother, softer and more radiant, delicate to rejuvenate the appearance of skin. By increasing the activities of some antioxidant enzymes, pearl powder can prevent the normal cells from being damaged by endogenous free radicals or peroxides and thus prevent the appearance of senile patches and delay the skin aging. It has long been the most important ingredient in the expensive skin care products for ancient Chinese loyal families to keep their skin youthfully tender looking.
Smoothen skin caused by common inflammatory skin diseases such as acne, eczema, rashes.
Inhibit local inflammation, release the local pain, accelerate wound healing, particularly effective for chronic refractory wounds. In traditional Chinese medicine terminology, pearl powder has cooling and antimicrobial properties, which will antagonize the inflammatory heat and redness.
Improve visual sight for weak eyes.

Daily oral consumption will help:

Improve or recover the functions of autonomic nervous system;
Alleviate or prevent anxiety, irritation (tranquilize uneasiness) and tension;
Overcome becoming frightened easily;
Treat and prevent low calcium caused tetany (especially leg muscle cramp, abdominal pain in children);
Treat and prevent epilepsy, convulsions;
Improve memory;
Cure insomnia;
Lower hypertension, hyperlipidemia and hyperglycemia;
Improve local and systemic blood circulation;
Stop palpitation or diarrhea;
Prevent fatigue, improve endurance and remain energetic.
Improve bone metabolism in elderly. Japanese study showed that elderly women taking pearl powder as an anti-aging and bone-strengthening supplement had increased bone density, reduced osteoporosis;
Improve the functions of endocrinologic system, enhance reproductive ability;
Improve human immunity;
Promote libido and sexuality
for more information http://chinesepearlpowder.com/default.aspx

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
WOW thanks Toby! That's an impressive list of benefits both orally and topically.

Something else I want to add now to my arsenal of supplements & skincare...geesh where does it end, just when I'm wanting to simplify! Rolling Eyes
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a pretty nice simple recipe from the DIY recipe index, just thought I would repost it here for you.

This recipe has been posted in the beta glucans thread but I just thought I would add it here too.

I tweaked Garden of Wisdom's Markey's directions for dissolving pearl powder into distilled water and then mixing into 1 tbsp of base cream then adding it back into the rest of 2 oz of base cream. I simply didn't read her directions carefully and failed to follow the last directions to re-add the mix into the rest of the base cream. As a result, my mistake yields a higher concentration of actives in the cream which is nice.

Oat Beta Glucans Pearl Powder Cream

- 1 tbsp base cream (i used GoW's veggie base cream)

- 1 tsp liquid oat beta glucans

- 1/2 tsp pearl powder

I first dissolved the pearl powder in the beta glucans by mixing it and waiting for 2 minutes, then i whipped in the veggie base cream. I applied and wow, such a matte, smooth finish.

This was originally an experimental batch, so I didn't use my whole jar of base cream which is 2 ounces. To make more, just increase the proportions.

Kristen

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Go figure I already have the Veggie cream (hope its not expired)

Can I just mix my pearl powder in this cream without the beta glucans???

thanks....
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:14 am      Reply with quote
absolutely. that is my recipe that was reposted--thanks DM, it kinda inspires me to make some more. it is better to use distilled water but i have cheated and used filtered/bottled water. i don't use preservatives but other forum members do recommend adding more to the gow base cream. i think the base cream already has some preservatives in it.

HTH

5% products discount

Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Dear all where on earth does one buy pearl powder ????? the mind boggles Ive never heard of this I live in australia by the way . you are all such amazing wealths of knowledge. Gorgeous

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, JJ posted a link for this as well.
Quote:
This is my pearl powder source. There is a $21 minimum when ordering, but the pearl powder is wonderful quality and safe (no mercury). It may also be taken internally (1/4 tsp. twice daily in juice or water). http://www.tkbtrading.com/item.php?item_id=314. The pearl powder MUST be hydrolyzed, as this one is.

If you prefer, you may add pearl powder to existing creams. I would suggest doing a small batch to begin with so that you can adjust it if necessary. Start by adding 1/2 tsp. pearl powder to 2 Tbs. cream. Pearl is a very strong mattifier, so if you prefer the dewy look, use less.
hyacynthgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
I guess the pearl powder has to be hydrolized (instead of micronized) so that it will mix smoothly and dissolve.

Actually, I don't know why. I was just guessing.

But GOW sells a couple of different kinds.

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7000431/3906335.htm
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7000431/6894073.htm
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:16 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
absolutely. that is my recipe that was reposted--thanks DM, it kinda inspires me to make some more. it is better to use distilled water but i have cheated and used filtered/bottled water. i don't use preservatives but other forum members do recommend adding more to the gow base cream. i think the base cream already has some preservatives in it.

HTH

Thank you for that recipe, skincareaddicted. It is almost the very first DIY recipe I tried, and I still use it to this day. I love the pearl paste as a primer. I have combo skin and live in the deep south, so was always looking for a primer to keep my oil from bleeding through my makeup. The pearl paste is the only primer that has ever done that.

Then, JJ came along and inspired me to add some additional ingredients to the pearl paste, such as resveratrol and mushroom extract. I also add seamollient and sea kelp that I purchased from gardenofwisdom.

I have bought the pearl powder from gardenofwisdom but because I didn't use it fast enough, it became one big hard lump that I had to throw away.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I find myself coming back to this pearl cream recipe from time to time also! Due to time constraints, I don't make it often enough!

I was inspired today and mixed up some cream. I don't have liquid oat beta glucans at hand, so just thought to use any sort of liquid. I had rose water but decided to use shiseido elixir (it's a special liquid skin prep). I bought the fine pearl powder from Garden of Wisdom (which also doubles as a finishing powder either by itself or mixed in any other finishing powder or MMU. Like skippie, I had purchased the non fine version and it turned into a lump. With the finer version, it is multipurpose). I also threw in about 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder, since my mom always raved about it. She used to rub the actual root on her skin when she was pregnant with me and said though her skin was orange, she had very clear, glowing skin! It's night time now, so Im not sure if my skin is stained, but the cream feels so nice!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |