Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Retin A Gel or cream?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ellet
5% products discount

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:51 am      Reply with quote
hey guys, really need to know urgently which one to get? i have never taken it before. and have normal skin. thanks.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 am      Reply with quote
If your skin is fairly normal I would probably go with the cream, however personal preference on texture probably comes into it also.
HTHS:)
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I would second the cream, as most people start off with that, and then just pay attention to how your skin responds.

BTW how do you know your skin is normal?

5% products discount

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Well, I know for sure its not oily. And not too dry either. I think I'm in the middle. So normal? Makes sense? I never drank much water, so my skin could be better.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I third the cream, but just because I prefer the texture. I bought some of the gel and while I like that it absorbs in a second, you cannot apply anything on top of it. The RA gel just balls up if you try (and I mean after waiting at least 1 hour). (I'm also having issues with the RA micro that I am trying. That stuff leaves a film on my face.)
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I also think the cream is the way to go if you don't have acne as it's less irritating.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Ellet, are you also over on the Q board? I prefer the cream myself, although since I just got in SIX TUBES of the micro (gel form) I'm going to be using that as well. Sigh . . . I had been using the cream for years, and thought I would have no problems with .1 micro, thought it would be gentle, but I am getting irritation with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:48 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:
Ellet, are you also over on the Q board? I prefer the cream myself, although since I just got in SIX TUBES of the micro (gel form) I'm going to be using that as well. Sigh . . . I had been using the cream for years, and thought I would have no problems with .1 micro, thought it would be gentle, but I am getting irritation with it.

MarieIG, do you get a film left over from the micro? I am having a hard time with it, as it seems to not want to absorb in all the way and leaves a film on my face.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I do get a bit of a film with the micro. It almost feels like silicone. Mine came from AlldayChemist. Perhaps the domestic stuff is better?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:46 am      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:
I do get a bit of a film with the micro. It almost feels like silicone. Mine came from AlldayChemist. Perhaps the domestic stuff is better?

I got mine from inhousepharmacy, so I don't know! Maybe that is just how it is?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:06 am      Reply with quote
With the micro, it does leave a little film on the face, but during the night it is supposed to absorb in stages. Thats one of the reasons the microgel at 0.1% is so good, it gives your skin the 0.1% dosing without overmaxing it.

I know what you mean re the film, and initially I was concerned, but my derm told me not to worry, as long as you apply it to the surface, it will during the night work its way into the skin. Its kind of like a sprinkler, releasing the dosage every hour or so I seem to recall being told.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:11 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
With the micro, it does leave a little film on the face, but during the night it is supposed to absorb in stages. Thats one of the reasons the microgel at 0.1% is so good, it gives your skin the 0.1% dosing without overmaxing it.

I know what you mean re the film, and initially I was concerned, but my derm told me not to worry, as long as you apply it to the surface, it will during the night work its way into the skin. Its kind of like a sprinkler, releasing the dosage every hour or so I seem to recall being told.

Oh, wow, very interesting! Thanks so much, Sean. I was worried that the stuff wasn't going to do its job sitting on my skin!! So, does this mean that for micro-gel, nothing else should be applied on top of it?
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:20 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Oh, wow, very interesting! Thanks so much, Sean. I was worried that the stuff wasn't going to do its job sitting on my skin!! So, does this mean that for micro-gel, nothing else should be applied on top of it?

Good question I was wondering that as well. Also, do you think I would be ok to use a serum, let's say an hour before?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I think using a serum should be okay, but it would have to be at least an hour before. I wouldn't use anything after it for sure. With the serums though, it depends whats in your mixture. If your using an oil based one, that might interfere with the absorption from the microgel!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I think using a serum should be okay, but it would have to be at least an hour before. I wouldn't use anything after it for sure. With the serums though, it depends whats in your mixture. If your using an oil based one, that might interfere with the absorption from the microgel!

I am using the IS Clinical Active serum (AHA) before the microgel. Why should a serum be applied 1 hour before? I am only waiting the length of time for the Active to sink in well.

I wonder if we did use something after the microgel, due to the film being absorbed throughout the night, would the product on top also get pulled in? Or, would it stop the microgel from absorbing?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I can only tell you what I was told by my derm. At that time, I was using a Vit C serum made by my derm, and he said that if I used it less than 1 hour, it prevented the microgel from penetrating as deeply and might make the upper layer of skin iritated (and of course I didn't listen and paid the price).

I suspect if you did use something after the microgel, it may pull it in with it, but I think it might mix with the gel and make the skin more iritated as a result (particularly if using something like ascorbic acid for example), but if your finding it works for you then you might be using the right mixture for your skin. I'm just a little fearful about applying something on top and changing the ph of the topical and doing damage, but I'm sure there are others out there who have better experience than me with that. I've only been using the microgel for 2 years now without issue (and thats baby years compared with some people I know). One has even been using Retin A for some 20 years! Yowsah I hope I can say that!!

Sean
rileygirl wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

I am using the IS Clinical Active serum (AHA) before the microgel. Why should a serum be applied 1 hour before? I am only waiting the length of time for the Active to sink in well.

I wonder if we did use something after the microgel, due to the film being absorbed throughout the night, would the product on top also get pulled in? Or, would it stop the microgel from absorbing?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I can only tell you what I was told by my derm. At that time, I was using a Vit C serum made by my derm, and he said that if I used it less than 1 hour, it prevented the microgel from penetrating as deeply and might make the upper layer of skin iritated (and of course I didn't listen and paid the price).

I suspect if you did use something after the microgel, it may pull it in with it, but I think it might mix with the gel and make the skin more iritated as a result (particularly if using something like ascorbic acid for example), but if your finding it works for you then you might be using the right mixture for your skin. I'm just a little fearful about applying something on top and changing the ph of the topical and doing damage, but I'm sure there are others out there who have better experience than me with that. I've only been using the microgel for 2 years now without issue (and thats baby years compared with some people I know). One has even been using Retin A for some 20 years! Yowsah I hope I can say that!!

Sean

Thanks, Sean. I tend to error on the side of caution most times, as well, so I completely understand!
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Cream, unless you have skin of steel! Shock

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
I started with the cream and after reading some of Sean's post on flexeffect I switched to the micro gel and LOVE it. It seems to absorb better and I see more happening from it. I have ordered from inhouse pharmancy and my last order came from allday chemist in India. The micro gel from there looked funky and not the same as inhouse and of course was a different brand and way way cheaper but I didn't like it. Any one find a cheaper micro gel than inhouse has??? Of course no prescription here.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
MarieIG wrote:

I had a prescription for the micro gel and was using the name brand domestic stuff and it also left a film on my skin. I think that is one way that it works is that it does not absorb immediately so that it can be absorbed slowly....because I notice when I wake up after 8 hours the film is no longer all there.

I am now using the gel form from ADC and have really seen some major improvements. I know there has been some information that states the gel form might be more irritable for somes people skin but I have also read that the gel form may also be more absorbed better and deeper into the layers of the skin then the micro.

Either way when I was at the dentist last week the technician commented that she was suprised to see that I never had any cavities because of the fact that someone like me who is in their mid 20's usually already has a few cavities...when she said that I was estatic since I just turned 39.

I guess the retin-a and all the pills I am popping is doing something good.
ellet
5% products discount

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
ok, thank you all for answering.

i am kinda scared to start since i heard ur skin may look like a lizard for some time. but i believe that i should start now, i am 25. and i'm not getting any younger.

so from what i read there are 3 types. right? cream, gel, and micro gel. or are the two gels the same? why is it called micro? how different is that from the normal gel?

i think i will start off with the cream.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 am      Reply with quote
ellet wrote:
ok, thank you all for answering.

i am kinda scared to start since i heard ur skin may look like a lizard for some time. but i believe that i should start now, i am 25. and i'm not getting any younger.

so from what i read there are 3 types. right? cream, gel, and micro gel. or are the two gels the same? why is it called micro? how different is that from the normal gel?

i think i will start off with the cream.

The gel and microgel are different. The microgel is a slow release of the active into your skin. If you read above SeanySean's post, you will understand the microgel better. The gel version is usually for oily skin (as it has a high alcohol content), and the cream is usually meant for normal/dry skin. Start out with the lowest percent of the cream and see how you do. Some people do not get the dryness/flaking, especially from the lowest percent. Good luck!
lisacollins00
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Here is what a dermatologist from Naples says about retin-a use:

"I frequently recommend that patients use the highest strength of Retin-A that they can tolerate. However, I have seen a study that showed that although Retin-A shows significant improvement in photoaging there was no difference between the lower and higher strengths of Retin-A. Retin-A gel allows for better penetration of the retinoid into the skin. Because of this, there is a lower percentage of the active ingredient in Retin-a gel. Retin-a cream comes in .025%, .05% and .1% and Retin-A gel comes in .01% and .025%. Some patient with very oily skin prefer the gel because they find the cream too greasy. However, in my experience, the majority of patients find the gel too drying. Unless your skin is very oily, I would recommend staying with the cream, but increasing the strength to .1%." Rebecca Lambert, MD

Gel can be more drying since it usually has alcohol in it....but it is well known that alcohol is a carrier/penetrator for topicals into the skin.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the wonderful responses.

I am having some difficulty with the micro, but believe this is because I was so used to using the cream. I actually started using Retin A, through my derm in 1987. It was in a very creamy base. He started me on .05 and bumped me up to .1 within a few months. I had very few side effects with it, mostly when I overdid acids. About a year and a half ago, DH ran into financial problems so there was much less money coming in, and we are paying tuition for four of our kids as well, so I was looking to save money. I haven't seen the derm., who is wildly expensive, and my prescription has lapsed. Accordingly, I ordered my Retin A from Alldaychemist.

I originally order the .05 in the cream, as there was no .1 in a cream. I used the .05 but did not feel as if I was getting the same benefit as I had been with the .1 (started to see some crows feet recently) so bumped up to the .1 micro. Perhaps I should have started with the .04, but the .1 is here now.

I initially slathered myself with it twice a night. (Yes, I know, I know - stupid), and got irritated. I had to back off for three days, and it seems that for now, every other day, (with watching the acids especially on my neck - but that is another thread) might be the balance.

I may just bite the bullet and go to the derm the month. He'll give me a prescription if I go in for a peel. The office sells the retin a .01 creams for $35.

As for the micro, although by all accounts it is supposed to be too soon to see anything, the crows seem to have flown south for the winter, so I don't want to give that up either.

I will start using my C serum one hour before my Retin A.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:30 am      Reply with quote
i have enlarged pores. i think thats what it is, on my cheeks. like tiny little holes, but not black heads or anything. what can i do about that, and what causes that? its only like an inch and half in diameter.

not all over my face or cheeks.please help with that one!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |