Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

MSM and its benefits - please share your experience
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ellet
5% products discount

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys.

Anyone taking msm or has in the past? Pleasae share the good and bad u've
Experience. I will be starting it soon.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Try a search for MSM in title only, you will find lots of info.
dryady
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I just started taking it too. heard a lot of good things about it, like making skin good, hair grow healthier...

you can also search supplements good for skin here to see what ladies say.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
My experience with MSM when I use it consistently is more lustrous hair and physically less stiffness in my joints. I work in a long term care facility and I'm on my feet for 8 hrs pretty much steady so I need all the help I can get!

I didn't notice much difference with my skin or with firmness like some have reported but then I didn't use as high of doses and I tend to use it off & on.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Ellet - for each 1000 mg of MSM you ingest, you should take at least half that of Vitamin C (500 mg) to get the results you are looking for. Some of the facial people recommend up to 5000 mg of MSM a day. The cheapest (and most absorbable) way to do this is by getting the powder form (no filler). Ideally you should take a dose every 12 hours. I take 1000mg in the am and before bed - I also take silicon drops (taste very bad Confused )

5% products discount

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Ellet - for each 1000 mg of MSM you ingest, you should take at least half that of Vitamin C (500 mg) to get the results you are looking for. Some of the facial people recommend up to 5000 mg of MSM a day. The cheapest (and most absorbable) way to do this is by getting the powder form (no filler). Ideally you should take a dose every 12 hours. I take 1000mg in the am and before bed - I also take silicon drops (taste very bad Confused )

Hey sister sweets, what are the silicon drops for? interesting!
ellet
5% products discount

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:30 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote
It's hard to find, but I get my MSM in Emergen-C Lite with MSM. There are 1000 mg MSM and 1000 mg of C. I drop two packs in with my Crystal Lite. Very nice.

Not so tasty, but very good, I take it in my joint powder, Schiff Joint Free Plus, it has glucosamine, chondroitin collagen and msn (500 mg). If I remember to take it faithfully, I feel a big improvement in my joints after a few weeks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I thought I would resurrect this thread.

I have been taking MSM 2000 mgs for about two months. While I have not seen a benefit in my hair or skin it has been a godsend for the pain in my joints.

I took a two week break from MSM (just to see) and all the pain in my knees came back.

This really has been a miracle for me - I thought I would share to help others suffering from joint paint/arthritis.

Question I do have a question... for those of you seeing benefits in skin/hair - how much do you take? I am wondering if I should go up to 3,000 milligrams (I believe that I read somewhere that an effective dose should be between 2-4,000 milligrams daily).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
I tried MSM (a small dose) for a couple of days a long time ago but couldn't stand the constant headache, so out of fear haven't tried it again since.
Now I just grind them up and mix the powder into topical serums, or just a bit of green tea. Not sure what its doing but my skin seems happy after applying.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LoriA,
I had to start very slowly - I still had headaches, but they did subside. I am using NCNs CP Accelerator Cream with MSM for about two weeks now. I am curious to see what the results are topically.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
Hi, I thought I would resurrect this thread.

I have been taking MSM 2000 mgs for about two months. While I have not seen a benefit in my hair or skin it has been a godsend for the pain in my joints.

I took a two week break from MSM (just to see) and all the pain in my knees came back.

This really has been a miracle for me - I thought I would share to help others suffering from joint paint/arthritis.

Question I do have a question... for those of you seeing benefits in skin/hair - how much do you take? I am wondering if I should go up to 3,000 milligrams (I believe that I read somewhere that an effective dose should be between 2-4,000 milligrams daily).

Hello Erg... I take around 4000 or so mg a day. Powder mixed in water. You do need to build up to this. Like you I've seen great help to my knees and mobility with msm usage. I also believe it's helped strengthen my hair. This has taken a long while - need enough hair growth to show. But my hair strength is the best it's been in forever.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I take 1000 mg a day. IDK if it helped my frozen shoulder get better but I don't wanna stop taking it and find out Shock
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I stopped for two weeks because I read somewhere that it can cause weight gain for some people. (I came to realize that this was not the case...Smile) Never again!

SisterSweets - good point about seeing results in the hair. That is gonna take awhile to see.
I think I may up it just a bit.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I would not take any vitamin or mineral without first discussing with the doctor. Just my opinion folks. I did get the ok to take ONE multi per day.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Physicians in the US are not trained in Nutrition. It has not been a part of the curriculum and those who know anything learn it as an adjunct.
I would never rely on my doctor to determine my supplements. My ex was a surgeon (an excellent surgeon) but knew zero about Nutrition. I helped him choose his supplements to decrease his cholesterol naturally.
Asking the doctor is a common mistake. Go to a nutritionist.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
In my experience, what you say seems to be true SS. My doctor's the kindest, most patient person who genuinely cares about me, but he doesn't seem to believe in supplements or "alternative" treatments, while I've seen a marked improvement in my well being since taking vit B's or seeing a chiropractor when needed, for instance. And when I tried asking him about retin-A he said not to bother since nothing works!!
I mean, I'd be angry at him for giving me what I consider misinformation, but I'm really healthy and all I need him for is checkups & referrals (which he's quick to give if necess). The rest I can research myself or find someone else.

I do however think it might be a good idea for people to check with their doctor or pharamcist, or at least do some research before trying new vitamins or minerals. Imagine if I'd taken a full dose of MSM, the headache may have been far worse! And I've heard paramedics say that most calls they get from people thinking they were stroking out are actually just those experiencing a niacin rush - which freaked me out too the first time I tried it. Laughing

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

I do however think it might be a good idea for people to check with their doctor or pharamcist, or at least do some research before trying new vitamins or minerals.

Totally agree, especially if you are taking any medications. There can be some major interactions between supplements and medications.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I take 4000 mg a day. I think it has helped the joints some. I've not noticed much for the skin. My hair and nails grow like weeds without the MSM. I do think it helps me with weight control. Since I ramped up to the 4000mg, I lost about 4 lbs without even trying.

I'm finding the comments on the amount of Vit C to take with MSM interesting. I'm probably not taking enough.

Oh yes, and I did experience the headaches while ramping up the dose. I didn't realize that was what was causing it - thought it was allergies. I had several weeks of daily headaches and then they went away.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
You have to start very slow with msm and build up. My doctor didn't know that.

I'm just staying that to ask a doctor who is not trained in nutritional advice is a shot in the dark.

If you want trained medical advice on supplements I'd consider a naturopath.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I'm just staying that to ask a doctor who is not trained in nutritional advice is a shot in the dark.

LOL. I do agree on that. My doctor didn't know what MSM was! (And I have a great doctor who does recommend the "normal" supplements and natural products for perimenopause!)
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |