Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is your favorite brand of hair iron?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:08 am      Reply with quote
I have thick, wavy hair and I like to wear it straight. I am looking for a iron that heats up quickly,lasts for more than a year and does a great job in making straight hair. Please tell me why your iron is your favorite!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Sedu is my hands-on favorite!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Sally's Beauty Supply GVP Iron is excellent. I just picked it up on sale for around $50.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
GHD, Chi, also Linea Pro. Very Happy
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried Helen of Troy and Chi and neither heated up very good. My hair use to get caught on side of the Chi and it use to hurt like crazy. I have had just bad luck with irons! That is why before purchasing a new iron I wanted some opinions.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
GHD for sure!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have a GHD and had a Chi and now have a real gem...it is a vibrating flat iron that never allows any pull on the hair....it rocks. The name is Hot Styler and this is a link for the best price http://www.salonsavings.com/hot-styler/ It really keeps the hair in good shape.....LOVE it !!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 am      Reply with quote
i've had an instyler for a few months now. its easy and versitile for casual everday hair. it smooths, curls, or straightens. in th morning, it takes me 5 minutes to just polish all my hair, or fix some crazy frizz, or add some body to my hairline. a fast tool that makes me look a little more polished! Very Happy

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:29 am      Reply with quote
And I should have added, I had an H2Pro that I loved that is on the blink and about to go out that I am still using because I haven't found one that I just totally love yet.
I tried the T3 and returned it, had to use too many passes to straighten and the Chi, which I have also, pulls and breaks my hair. It seems better for shorter hair.
The Sedu worked on straightening the best but it almost overdid it too straight. It's the best for thick or really course or wavy hair.
I have thin and wavy hair, so I don't need as much, just don't break off anymore!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR: I am having a difficult time deciding between the H2Pro and Sedu! They both look very good. Please tell me where did you make the purchase? Thanks!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
I got my H2Pro about 6 years ago online somewhere, can't remember where, sorry.
The Sedu I bought at Ulta because they have a 60 day return policy. That's where I bought the T3 I returned as well. I just wanted to try a few out.
As soon as my H2Pro goes out COMPLETELY I will buy the Sedu I am thinking. Just in the one inch. I had wanted that one but they were out of it at the time so I got the 1 1/2 instead which was a bit too wide. That's the only reason I took it back to try the 1 inch T3, which was a wet/dry.
I just hate to let go of my trusty iron. The Chi I had gotten as a birthday present sits in my spare bath for guests, I would have returned it if I could. I can't risk losing any more hair!

5% products discount

Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
I bought my KQC straighener last year and it works so well. I use it everyday and can't live without it now. Laughing
janegd
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:26 am      Reply with quote
Sedu!!!
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Sedu but it died on me within the year - thankfully still on warranty. I looked around and read that folica.com tends to push the sedu line and that's where I bought it. It's not bad, but I was a little ticked that something I used once maybe a month would died in a year. BUT it does work well.

I ended up getting it replaced but because I'm so impatient and it was close to the holiday season (i.e. more parties and more reason to use it) I ended up getting the Solia brand. Also good.

So there you have it - 2 brands that I like. One more than the other.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Katsey - I couldn't tell which you liked more than the other.

I've been reading the rave reviews on folica.com - in anticipiation of my next flat iron. I have thick, unruly hair that needs tamed.... My current iron says "ceramic ion styling" on it - so whatever that is, is what I have. not cheap when I bought it but has lasted and worked on *The Rug* as I lovingly call this mess I work with

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I use Remington. It's alright but I know that GHD is the best.

I do want to get one but I like wavy hair more than straight hair at the moment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies, I have mass amounts of spirally curls, fine on top and a little more coarse underneath --- most of the time I can control frizz with leave in products, and have always loved my curls but I'm ready for a change. I've played around with varying lengths and cuts throughout the years but the only thing I can really do to CHANGE my hair is to straighten it. I'm very leery of chemical straighteners, so I went to http://www.folica.com/appliances/straightener.htm --- currently undecided between 2 hair irons from Sedu. One is the 1.5 inch tourmaline ceramic, the other more expensive is a 1 inch revolution -- a nano tourmaline. Is the nano whatever the reason why this is more expensive? What's the difference between nano tourmaline and regular tourmaline, or is this marketing hype?

I haven't used a hair iron in YEARS, so I'm likely to be rather clumsy at it. With that in mind, am I correct in thinking that a narrower 1 inch will be easier to use for a novice? On the other hand, a 1.5 inch looks like it may be more efficient and quicker for those with thick and curly hair...

Since I've been so low maintenance for so many years (after shower, apply product, scrunch and air dry) that speed and ease are important considerations.... I seriously won't use an iron if it's gonna take me longer than 20-30 minutes to straighten it.

Ladies who are more experienced with this, what would you recommend?

TIA!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I've owned several such as the Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Ion Flat Iron & the BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium. Then I wanted the H2Pro 206/204LE (similar to the FHI Runway) but it's discontinued. They have a Presto but hard to come by and one reviewer said it's not as good.

I now own a GlamPalm which I love but got the last one from HairFlix. Sad (It's a real legit one since I learned my lesson about fake irons.) GlamPalm can direct others to salons that will sell it though. I've been using it for a few weeks and no hair damage (thank goodness). My hair feels soft after using it, heats up quickly, lightweight. (Forgot to mention I have thick hair that is wavy, so I blow dry it straight first.)

Otherwise, it's Chi or GHD that I hear are the better ones along with the FHI Runway (which is oh-so costly).

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have only used GHD and am quite happy!...Especially if you pair it with Kerastase ciment/nectar thermique!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I too have the GHD and love it. Heats up super fast and straightens quickly. My hair looks heaps better having used it the last couple of months.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Chi! I use it to curl and cannot live without it.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:28 am      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
I've owned several such as the Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Ion Flat Iron & the BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium. Then I wanted the H2Pro 206/204LE (similar to the FHI Runway) but it's discontinued. They have a Presto but hard to come by and one reviewer said it's not as good.

I now own a GlamPalm which I love but got the last one from HairFlix. Sad (It's a real legit one since I learned my lesson about fake irons.) GlamPalm can direct others to salons that will sell it though. I've been using it for a few weeks and no hair damage (thank goodness). My hair feels soft after using it, heats up quickly, lightweight. (Forgot to mention I have thick hair that is wavy, so I blow dry it straight first.)

Otherwise, it's Chi or GHD that I hear are the better ones along with the FHI Runway (which is oh-so costly).

HI Whitewolf.... Given the great expense of a good hair iron, I planned to purchase from a reputable seller with a return policy. You re-enforced that, thank you.

But your mention of the FHI Runway prompted me to search, so I can see that while I was trying to make my decision less complicated by preselecting models of Sedu, now my choice is MORE complicated after researching the FHI Runway. Wow, that is so spendy! No way am I gonna spend that kind of money on something I'm not even sure I'll use all the time but I did look into a similar flat iron... The Hana Elite, which is also composed completely of ceramic plates rather than coated with ceramic as so many other leading brands are.

So.... I'll probably wind up going with the Hana Elite. I'm worried about damaging my hair.. It's curly, but it's fragile because it's so fine. I want flexibility with the temperature control and the best technology for my hair.

What I'm still on the fence about is the width. Experienced ironers, what impact does the width of the iron have on maneuverability, speed, performance and effectiveness? Curls start close to my root, so in that respect I think a smaller 1" will be easier to manage without hurting myself... Yet a 1.5" will be more practical considering the length and volume of hair I have to deal with.

What do you think?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 am      Reply with quote
mithai wrote:
I have only used GHD and am quite happy!...Especially if you pair it with Kerastase ciment/nectar thermique!

Mishey wrote:
I too have the GHD and love it. Heats up super fast and straightens quickly. My hair looks heaps better having used it the last couple of months.

mithai,Mishey... thanks for chiming in...I considered the GHD as well but there are so many opposing reviews...considering how little I know about this subject, when reviewers mention they have to take two or three passes, or that the ceramic coating starts to peel off, that kind of put me off. Perhaps these reviewers weren't using the correct temperature, or weren't combing their hair thoroughly before swiping with the iron could contribute to that?

Would premature peeling be more likely to occur if it's not cleaned properly?

BTW how long have your irons lasted?

My first search was on Sephora, I actually considered the inexpensive Sephora brand to start off with, but if it turns out to be a piece of crap then I'm still out the $$ I could have put into a better brand.

Thanks,

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:47 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

Hi RussianSunshine! What kind of hair do you have, length and texture? If an iron is good at curling, can I assume it's equally effective with straightening?

I never have figured out how to post an image in posts here on EDS, but here's a link for the celebrity whose hair most closely resembles mine. Melina Kanakarades, the lovely Greek actress. I'm nowhere near as gorgeous, but my hair is very much like hers, down to the color and the curl.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005074/

RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

Hi RussianSunshine! What kind of hair do you have, length and texture? If an iron is good at curling, can I assume it's equally effective with straightening?

I never have figured out how to post an image in posts here on EDS, but here's a link for the celebrity whose hair most closely resembles mine. Melina Kanakarades, the lovely Greek actress. I'm nowhere near as gorgeous, but my hair is very much like hers, down to the color and the curl.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005074/

athena123, I dont know about straightening, I have short, thin, painfully straight and very stubborn hair! The thing I like about CHI is that it's very easy to use especially if you're not an expert in styling (like I am).

My hair style is similar to Rihanna's
http://rachelslurs.tumblr.com/
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |