Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
What is your favorite brand of hair iron?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
athena123, I did have an iron that was 1.5 but it was long instead of wide, not sure if it sped things up or not (that was my Babyliss one). That's a tough call...

My hair is shoulder length now; would be much longer if my ends didn't get fried months back. So definitely invest in a good brand/model.

P.S. Yep, the FHI Runway is way too expensive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

I dont know about straightening, I have short, thin, painfully straight and very stubborn hair! The thing I like about CHI is that it's very easy to use especially if you're not an expert in styling (like I am).

My hair style is similar to Rihanna's
http://rachelslurs.tumblr.com/
Ooh, how cute! As much as I've always liked my curls, I have envied those cute, adorable geometric styles straight haired women can pull off. That is SUCH a cute cut, Rihanna has really come into her own as an example for STYLE hasn't she?

What I need is a flat iron for dummies.. Smile I've started viewing a few YouTube videos and think I have the general idea but it looks terriby time consuming? How much time do you spend on this and how long has your Chi lasted you? Do you use the special products to clean it, or will something like Simple Green work just as well?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
athena123, I did have an iron that was 1.5 but it was long instead of wide, not sure if it sped things up or not (that was my Babyliss one). That's a tough call...

My hair is shoulder length now; would be much longer if my ends didn't get fried months back. So definitely invest in a good brand/model.

P.S. Yep, the FHI Runway is way too expensive.

Hi Whitewolf, I suppose a longer length would allow you to cover a wider swath of hair but I can see I still need to determine whether a thicker or thinner iron will be more suitable for me. None of the countless reviews and videos I've been reading since I embarked upon this research have answered those questions and all of them seem to assume I know what I'm doing when I don't.

Last time I used an iron was waaaay back in the heydey of Charlies Angels --wanted my hair to look just like Jaclyn Smith's. Fried my hair so badly that I asked the committee in charge of our yearbooks to please please please use my picture from the prior year I looked so bad. The said no can do, missy... We gotta use your bad hair picture! I was so embarrassed when it came out, I was afraid to have anyone sign it. Very Happy

Er... how did you fry your hair? Flat iron?

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Athena, I fried my hair a few different ways: two bad perms, then I tried to chemically straighten it, once it was a highlighting mess. Things got better but I found my hair dryer and flat iron not helping any and doing damage as well. So that's when I got some Aveeda Damage Remedy stuff and got a new hair dryer/flat iron.

So far, so good, my hair is healthy again and the next time I want to do something to my hair, I won't, haha. I'll just leave things be... and that includes bad hair cuts too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

I dont know about straightening, I have short, thin, painfully straight and very stubborn hair! The thing I like about CHI is that it's very easy to use especially if you're not an expert in styling (like I am).

My hair style is similar to Rihanna's
http://rachelslurs.tumblr.com/
Ooh, how cute! As much as I've always liked my curls, I have envied those cute, adorable geometric styles straight haired women can pull off. That is SUCH a cute cut, Rihanna has really come into her own as an example for STYLE hasn't she?

What I need is a flat iron for dummies.. Smile I've started viewing a few YouTube videos and think I have the general idea but it looks terriby time consuming? How much time do you spend on this and how long has your Chi lasted you? Do you use the special products to clean it, or will something like Simple Green work just as well?

I normally spend not more than 5 minutes on my hair (remember it's short and straight, I dont make it curly, just waivy) Last CHI lasted me a year, but only becuase I dropped it a few times Very Happy So something happened in the curcuit inside and it was not connecting very well. So with the new one I'm extracutious!

Also once I left one of my CHI in the spa and somebody stole it Rolling Eyes The spa manager said " no wonder! it's CHI!"

P.S.: I've never cleaned any of my irons, they look clean to me.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
Hi Athena, I fried my hair a few different ways: two bad perms, then I tried to chemically straighten it, once it was a highlighting mess. Things got better but I found my hair dryer and flat iron not helping any and doing damage as well. So that's when I got some Aveeda Damage Remedy stuff and got a new hair dryer/flat iron.

So far, so good, my hair is healthy again and the next time I want to do something to my hair, I won't, haha. I'll just leave things be... and that includes bad hair cuts too.

Oooooh no WhiteWolf, sounds like your lovely tresses went to hell and back glad to hear it's on the mend! I haven't put my hair through near that kind of trauma, so the only thing I'll have to worry about is my drier hair condition as a result of my natural curl and the potential for heat damage. I don't anticipate that I'll be using an iron every day, I think I'm too lazy for that!

Huh.. this Aveeda Remedy sounds intriguing, I'll have to check into that. Better yet, have you reviewed this?

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

I normally spend not more than 5 minutes on my hair (remember it's short and straight, I dont make it curly, just waivy) Last CHI lasted me a year, but only becuase I dropped it a few times Very Happy So something happened in the curcuit inside and it was not connecting very well. So with the new one I'm extracutious!

Also once I left one of my CHI in the spa and somebody stole it Rolling Eyes The spa manager said " no wonder! it's CHI!"

P.S.: I've never cleaned any of my irons, they look clean to me.

RussianSun, you are fortunate to not have to spend that amount of time on your hair. In anticipation of my iron, getting my hair cut. Mistakes can be hidden in curly hair that would be only too apparent in straight hair, I'll be sure to ask my stylist to accommodate a cut for both naturally curly days and straight hair days.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I did it... Thank you all for your help... I spent time researching here, makeupalley, longhair forums and naturallycurly as well.

After speaking to the head stylist (so they SAID, anyway how do I REALLY know he was the head stylist? Very Happy ) at Misikko.com, I wound up ordering the Hana Elite. The gentleman I spoke to at first indicated that the Hana Elite may be overkill for me and recommended the Hana Pro 1.5". We discussed whether or not I'd be sacrificing manuveurability with this width, he informed me that 1.5 can still get very close to the root without overheating the scalp and moving plates will enable the iron to flatten and straighten with different positions of my hand according to whether I'm working through the back, side, front, or top.

When I told him I'm very lazy and don't want to subject my hair to more than 1 or 2 passes AND I want incredible shine, then he suggested the Hana Elite would actually be a better. With 100% ceramic plates (the FHI Runway is actually 6 layers of ceramic rather than one solid plate), more heat will be held from root to tip, which results in fewer passes and more shine. He recommended the 1" in the Elite for my type of curl; indicated the 1.5" Hana Elite would be much more suitable for very long hair or African American hair.

I thought about what he said for a couple hours and ordered it late yesterday afternoon. This is what I wound up ordering. For an additional $30 I got a complete deluxe set that includes a heating pad, heat proof pouch, travel iron, iron cleaner, and heatproof hair serum. Can't wait to try it!

http://www.misikko.com/ultimate-elite-flat-iron.html

breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Love my BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium over my Chi.
pmegan

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Best brand of flat iron I have ever used is the -- Salon Pro Styling Iron.
WhiteWolf
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't posted on here in ages but I love, absolutely love, my Glampalm which is from Australia. I'm so happy to see them selling to everyone now on their website. I had to get mine from a retailer a few years back.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
WhiteWolf wrote:
I haven't posted on here in ages but I love, absolutely love, my Glampalm which is from Australia. I'm so happy to see them selling to everyone now on their website. I had to get mine from a retailer a few years back.

Hi,
Is glampalm better than fhi heat . Have you used any other iron beside glam palm . Sorry for all the questions . I am looking to buy a straightener and notice your review. And noticed glam palm comes with rounded plates for volume . Thank you in advance
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:16 am      Reply with quote
My daughter (curly shoulder length) and I (dead straight) both have a G3 Salon Pro hair styling iron which can be used as a straightener or in my case to curl. My reason for selecting this one is that it has 1. Tourmaline Ceramic plates, 2. Heats very quickly & 3. Has a 3 year manufacturer's guarantee,but the main reason is that this is a company with heart - it donates a portion of its sales to help children in need!
jacquelinetunsta

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Best I have ever used is the -- because it leaves my hear shiny, smooth and with movememt Surprised
Lin1313
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:23 am      Reply with quote
jacquelinetunsta wrote:
Best I have ever used is the -- because it leaves my hear shiny, smooth and with movememt :o

Now I have a Salon Series and my G3Salon Pro has been passed on to my granddaughter.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |