Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Help - Brown Spots on My Face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Help!!! I have a few brown spots on my face. What can I do to get rid of them?
spinney
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
obagi, clear, and blender.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I think the first thing to try is a good Vitamin C product, one that contains l-ascorbic acid. Use it in the morning. Skinceuticals C E Ferulic is great. I found it worked well at breaking up my brown spots. At night you could try using an AHA product. Most importantly, don't forget to use sunscreen evry day to help prevent the spots.
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote
spinney wrote:
obagi, clear, and blender.

I have heard alot about Obagi products but I am not entirly sure what exact product do I have to focus on. Because I noticed there is a wide range of products from toner, moisturizer and etc. in this product line. Could you please advise.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:

- Put anything you can between yourself and the sun

- All of these topically applied products/actives help alleviate melasma; Retin-A, Retinol, AHA, BHA, Kojic Acid, Azelaic Acid, Arbutin, Mulberry Extract, Licorice Extract, L-Ascorbic Acid.. (There are others like 'hydroquinone', but I'm not comfortable recommending them.)

- Extra exfoliation with a microfiber cloth will bring the damage to the surface *quicker*, so you can get to the *new + undamaged* skin..

If you do a 'google' with any of those actives, it should bring you to some retail products containing it.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
lorimcp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Do you have just like a couple spots, like sun spots or more like melasma patches?
annieb
5% products discount

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious about this as well. Hope some others who have gone through this and had some good results will let us know. Wink
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
annieb wrote:
I'm curious about this as well. Hope some others who have gone through this and had some good results will let us know. Wink

I successfully got rid of my brown spots. First I used Vitamin C (Skinceuticals C E Ferulic). Big improvement. Then I started using a toner with glycolic and salicylic acid in it at night. More improvement. Then I started using Retin A. Even more improvement. They're all gone. I still have a couple of small sunspots but the brown spots are gone.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Have tried many product, the ONLY one that work for me to get rid of brown spots and freckles is OBAGI.
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I've used 2 bottles of Boots No.7 Protect & Perfect whitening line, it has lightened greatly melasma areas in my face, but I'm not sure if I stop use, will they come back
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
lorimcp wrote:
Do you have just like a couple spots, like sun spots or more like melasma patches?

They are 7 or 8 sun spots, but I am noticing them more and more. I think they are increasing in number. I need help real bad!
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
Have tried many product, the ONLY one that work for me to get rid of brown spots and freckles is OBAGI.

What exact OBAGI products do you use?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Well, the only suggestion I can make is for you to consult a dermatologist. With my situation, I had brown spots approx. 9 years ago and consulted a dermatologist doctor. She suggested Obagi line of products and I've been hooked till now. My brown spots disappeared, my skin is much clearer and "younger". The only thing is when you use Obagi line of products, you must ALWAYS USE A SUNSCREEN everytime you are expose to the sun because you are trying to get rid of brown/black spots on your face. It will come back when there is no sun protection like SPF45 at least. Also proper diet and exercise will improve your skin immensely Smile

I hope this helps Smile

micka686 wrote:
annieb
5% products discount

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting to read about the Obagi line helping brown spots. I always thought my spots were just simple aging spots, but my derm told they were Melasma. I have 2 spots on my lower cheeks, 1 dime size, the other nickel size. I always thought Melasma was all over your face. So, now I'm wondering why my derm is reccommending Tri-Luma and IPL. Frankly, this course of treatment scares me. I think I'd rather go through the trials with the Obagi than the unknown of Tri-Luma and IPL, especially when I read that the Melasma can get darker from IPL !! Geez.

So, if I start the Obagi, how long does it take to see any results - months? Is it worth the effort and the uglies you have to go through? Once you get through the uglies, is it an easy routine to follow? Expensive?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi Annieb Smile

Well, EDS sells Obagi and if you buy 1 complete kit (I think it is $250+), you can get a freebie of facial cleanser as a bonus. This Obagi line of products will last 3 to 4 months depending on the frequency of use. I use it everyday, so approx. last me 3 months more or less. But use pea-size only, not too much. You can see results in approx. 2-3 months. But of course, don't forget your sunscreen...

annieb wrote:
Very interesting to read about the Obagi line helping brown spots. I always thought my spots were just simple aging spots, but my derm told they were Melasma. I have 2 spots on my lower cheeks, 1 dime size, the other nickel size. I always thought Melasma was all over your face. So, now I'm wondering why my derm is reccommending Tri-Luma and IPL. Frankly, this course of treatment scares me. I think I'd rather go through the trials with the Obagi than the unknown of Tri-Luma and IPL, especially when I read that the Melasma can get darker from IPL !! Geez.

So, if I start the Obagi, how long does it take to see any results - months? Is it worth the effort and the uglies you have to go through? Once you get through the uglies, is it an easy routine to follow? Expensive?
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
i read lot threads on obagi,found it seems "to burn the old skin and give a new one", i'm a little scared and dare not to try, my skin is very dry and sensitive, obagi maybe too strong.
newbiely
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like some micro surgery,any one knows the content of it ? is it safe for sentive and thin skin ?
"i read lot threads on obagi,found it seems "to burn the old skin and give a new one", i'm a little scared and dare not to try, my skin is very dry and sensitive, obagi maybe too strong."
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:20 am      Reply with quote
IPL ! if they are freckles (flat)

I had spots removed on my sheen (both). They turn into scabs and fall off.

Diathermie treatment if they are rasied (they are actually from the "wart" family, more common in asian skin, on the neck in particular). The treatment involves a qualified beauty therapist "burning" them off very quickly, as though you are burn by an incence. Once again, turn into scabs and fall off.

I won't bother with skincare products that are costly and would only provide mediocre results.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:

Same for me, but I would add to use the Skinceuticals C, E, Ferulic with the Nu Derm. 3 months, brown spots are gone, but you have to continue on maintenance or they will come back.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
annieb wrote:

Hi Annieb,
Since you only have two spots to deal with, I think Tri-luma and IPL could be effective. I use Obagi Nuderm but my "sun spots" and freckling were all over my face. As with any course of treatment, sunscreen is an absolute MUST or you risk the hyperpigmentation returning.

Obagi is a really intense treatment although it doesn't "burn" your skin off. It does help the underlying damage come to the surface and expedites skin cell turnover to uncover fresher, healthier skin. Depending on how you respond to the products, you can expect results within several weeks to months.

I've found with any treatment that results are never permanent but always require some sort of maintenance.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
kims,

On closer inspection, I have tiny little "freckles" of discoloration all over my face. The most noticeable spots are on each cheek. It took only a split second for the derm Dr. to say "Melasma". I'm willing to go through the Obagi experience, but I don't think I want to top it off with IPL, only for the Melasma to come back and my wallet to be so much lighter. If I was 100% assured the IPL and Tri-Luma would be the absolute answer, then I'd do it. But from all my reading and research, it seems the Melasma will come back after the IPL.

Dunno, I'm almost ready to throw my hands up and try some DIY recipes for discoloration and lightening.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Annieb,
It light of what you said, then Obagi could be the way to go. If you've got time, do a search on the forum and read through some of the older threads. This will give you an idea of what you might expect. Obagi Nuderm is quite a journey for most of us with a lot of skin ups and downs. Reading the threads really helped me a lot as well as several members of the forum. Good luck with your decision!

5% products discount

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
Just how "bad" is the Obagi? Will I have to hide for 3-6 mos. !! ha ha.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:14 am      Reply with quote
All of these recommendations are great. You might also want to consider looking at your diet. I have quite a few brown spots that have lightened when I cut out sugar. (Very hard to do!) At the time I cut sugar from my diet, I also started drinking green smoothies & taking mega-doses of the supplement MSM, which *may* be helpful in reducing hyperpigmentation.

My spots are very stubborn-- Obagi lightened them somewhat, but they returned to their original state after I discontinued using it, despite using sunscreen. However, so far, the changes in my diet have had the same effect as Obagi. (It has been almost 3 months since I've incorporated these changes.) I think I will give Obagi another go and see if it will reduce my spots even further, given the changes in my diet.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:54 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
My spots are very stubborn-- Obagi lightened them somewhat, but they returned to their original state after I discontinued using it, despite using sunscreen.

Yes, unfortunately this will happen, which is why a person must stay on maintenance with the Nu Derm. (Just like anything else topical, once you stop, the benefits will slowly go away and your skin will slowly revert back to its former state.)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |