Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Terrible Blackhead Problem - Please Help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
day0110

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I’ve had a terrible blackhead problem since the age of 11 (I’m 21 now) and I feel I’ve tried everything for it and nothing provides reduction or reduction in both my chin and nose (where my blackheads are). I don’t have a problem with acne so my face is clear apart from the blackheads on my nose and chin. So far I have tried:

- Salicylic acid 2% in the products Stridex and Clean and Clear – the latter for at least 6 months
- Retin A – I think 0.25%, for about 3 months – absolutely no reduction; in fact, the Retin A made them look worse as it thinned the skin in that area; also made the rest of my skin look terrible
- Neostrata smoothing lotion (8% aha) – actually made a difference on my nose blackheads but no difference at all on my chin but I may have possibly not used it long enough
- OCM – a mix of castor and avocado oil, about 3 weeks – I could feel plugs coming out but there was no noticeable improvement and it gave me whiteheads and blackheads on other parts of my face
- Hemp oil – read the rave review from another forum member and tried it; seemed to clog my skin even more
- Glymed Plus Serious Action skin astringent 10 (10% salicylic) – just received this from EDS and used it once; stung like absolute hell and burnt my skin

Over the years I’ve used oil free products and natural products with oils; neither made any difference nor did most make the problem worse (though I doubt it could be any worse as it seems every pore on my nose and chin is clogged). Right now I’m using oil free products mostly as they don’t clog the rest of my face.

My skin is easily irritated and often takes a week or more to recover from an irritation, whether it be a blemish or dry, peeling skin. At the moment I’m using products to hydrate my skin as I’ve heard blackheads can arise from dehydration. My skin is definitely the softest it’s been so I think it is getting enough hydration now but these dam blackheads make it look terrible!

Has anyone else tried the Glymed product? According to Paula Begoun (the Cosmetics Cop) in her 7th edition of Don’t Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me, the skin astringent 5 (5% salicylic acid) is not pH balanced so wouldn’t work but she doesn’t comment on the pH of skin astringent 10 so I’m unsure whether the salicylic would have any effect anyway which makes me hesitant to try it again, especially because of its high alcohol level. I’ve tried to find pH stips to test it myself but to no avail.

What else can I do? Has anyone had success with a different product or routine? I’m thinking I might just use the Neostrata lotion again as at least it had some effect. Note: I live in Australia so a lot of products are either not available here and some aren’t allowed to be shipped here from popular US websites (eg Amazon and Drugstore).

Please help.

Ell
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
hi day0110,
from threads i found Decleor Ylang Ylang oil highly commented, I followed and ordered one, use only on nose area, so far it seems good.
day0110

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply annesun. I have heard good reviews about this product, I wish it weren't so expensive though! I suppose it lasts for awhile though.
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
now i'm not sure how long it could last,when finish this bottle,will post again,plus it's expensive so hope it fits and works Smile
happy you're from australia,me fan of Jurlique,thought it helps treat problem skin, anxious have you ever used this line?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 am      Reply with quote
day0110 wrote:
Thanks for your reply annesun. I have heard good reviews about this product, I wish it weren't so expensive though! I suppose it lasts for awhile though.

Here is carekate's DIY version it's really easy to make and save a ton of $$$'s if anyone is so inclined!
HTH
DM

Recipe for Homemade Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil (holy grail product for controlling sebum production for those with super-oily skin):

• 1 Oz. Kukui Nut Oil
• 6 Drops Ylang Ylang Oil
• 3 Drops Lavendar or Geranium Oil
• 2 Drops Bay Leaf Oil
• 1 Drop Rosemary Oil

Mix it up in an Amber Glass Bottle and Make Sure to Shake it up Before Each Use!

For those of you who have had luck with Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence, I have found this to be a great cheap replacement. You can substitute the Kukui Nut Oil with Hazelnut Oil If you like, but it must be refrigerated and made in very small batches as the shelf life is not very long. I chose Kukui Nut Oil to replace it for preservative purposes, and find it works just as well. If you are pregnant or breast feeding, do not use the Rosemary Oil...it can be toxic to babies. I replace Geranium Oil with Lavendar Oil in this recipe when I make it simply because I have it on hand, but geranium oil may be used in place of the lavendar for a product more similar to Decleor.

Again, there are many other essential oils that are very good at helping to regulate sebum production, so don't forget to check out the essential oil guide at this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 am      Reply with quote
The best product I have used for my blackheads is Proactiv, I only use it on my nose and it clears up within days. I have tried oils, AHA's, retin a, other BHA'S and nothing worked nearly as good as this.
HTHS:)
woshididi
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I used baby oil to massage on the skin,it helps。
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
woshididi wrote:

Just my personal preference but unless you are buying an organic brand baby oil is mostly mineral oil, a byproduct of petroleum production! I prefer a more natural vegetable or fruit derived oil!

Common baby oil ingredients:

Soft and Silk Baby Oil
Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E, Acetate, Fragrance.
Johnson's Baby Oil, Lavender scent
Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Fragrance

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
pal wrote:
The best product I have used for my blackheads is Proactiv,

I checked Proactiv not in EDS Question where you shop it,pal
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
to DM,
i really love all your DIY recipe posts,very good to take a try, but i have some problems in shopping various oils as some stores offer no international shipping Sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
annesun wrote:
to DM,
i really love all your DIY recipe posts,very good to take a try, but i have some problems in shopping various oils as some stores offer no international shipping Sad

I order a lot of my essential oils online my favorite source is:

http://www.auracacia.com

For the carrier oils you can find most at any health food store or food market.

HTH
DM

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
happy you're from australia,me fan of Jurlique,thought it helps treat problem skin, anxious have you ever used this line?

Are you from Aus too annesun? I've only tried Jurlique's cleansing cream, which I didn't like, and rose clay mask, which seems to be an overpriced clay mask in my opinion. I haven't been interested in their products probably because of the price, though I have recently found out it is much more expensive overseas!

Quote:
Here is carekate's DIY version it's really easy to make and save a ton of $$$'s if anyone is so inclined!

Thanks darkmoon (and carekate Smile ) I love the smell of ylang ylang, I'm so drawn to it when it is in products.

Quote:
The best product I have used for my blackheads is Proactiv, I only use it on my nose and it clears up within days. I have tried oils, AHA's, retin a, other BHA'S and nothing worked nearly as good as this.

Which specific products do you use pal? I was amazed to see a Proactive dispensing machine when I was in America a few months ago - I took a photo Very Happy

Quote:

I would have to agree with darkmoon on this one, woshididi, I can't imagine how baby oil would help as mineral oil can't penetrate pores (correct me if I'm wrong anyone!) Do you use it to massage or just leave it on?
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
annesun wrote:
pal wrote:
The best product I have used for my blackheads is Proactiv,

I checked Proactiv not in EDS Question where you shop it,pal

Hi annesun I think proactiv sells mainly on TV but I have even seen it at some shopping centres with there own counter set up. Ebay is also good.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
day0110 wrote:
Quote:

Are you from Aus too annesun? I've only tried Jurlique's cleansing cream, which I didn't like, and rose clay mask, which seems to be an overpriced clay mask in my opinion. I haven't been interested in their products probably because of the price, though I have recently found out it is much more expensive overseas!

Quote:

Thanks darkmoon (and carekate Smile ) I love the smell of ylang ylang, I'm so drawn to it when it is in products.

Quote:

Which specific products do you use pal? I was amazed to see a Proactive dispensing machine when I was in America a few months ago - I took a photo Very Happy

Quote:

I would have to agree with darkmoon on this one, woshididi, I can't imagine how baby oil would help as mineral oil can't penetrate pores (correct me if I'm wrong anyone!) Do you use it to massage or just leave it on?

Hey day0110... wow I didnt think there was such thing as a skincare dispensing machine. Laughing
To get the results I have gotten I only used the cleanser and renewal lotion. I think the renewal lotion is the real blackhead fighter though so if you go with any atleast get that one.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi day0101

I completely sympathize with you!

I tried most of what you tried too:
Salicylic acid and Glycolic peel, Decleor Balm Essentiale, enzyme mask, peel, the GREEN PEEL!!

I have given up and just go to my Beauty Therapist for a good squeeze every other month! They come back, of course, but I love it!

I do fine Skinceutical 1.0 have reduced the size of my pores (I use it once every third night and peel by the second day). Blackheads still there.

I just started using the CLARISONIC SYSTEM. If it works for blackheads, I will report back. (I am liking the results so far, mainly smoothness, less oily during the day and a better clean)
day0110

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey day0110... wow I didnt think there was such thing as a skincare dispensing machine. Laughing
To get the results I have gotten I only used the cleanser and renewal lotion. I think the renewal lotion is the real blackhead fighter though so if you go with any atleast get that one.

I know, me neither until I saw it! I also saw a fresh flower vending machine Shock I'm guessing the BP (benzoyl peroxide) in the renewal lotion is what helps? Do you think a product like Clearasil or something would work the same?

Quote:
Hi day0101

I completely sympathize with you!

I tried most of what you tried too:
Salicylic acid and Glycolic peel, Decleor Balm Essentiale, enzyme mask, peel, the GREEN PEEL!!

I have given up and just go to my Beauty Therapist for a good squeeze every other month! They come back, of course, but I love it!

I do fine Skinceutical 1.0 have reduced the size of my pores (I use it once every third night and peel by the second day). Blackheads still there.

I just started using the CLARISONIC SYSTEM. If it works for blackheads, I will report back. (I am liking the results so far, mainly smoothness, less oily during the day and a better clean)

It makes me feel so much better when someone else knows what I'm dealing with! I really look forward to hearing about your results with the Clarisonic; I've read mixed reviews about it on its effectiveness on blackheads but if it works for you I will definitely get it! I extract the blackheads myself sometimes when I get fed up with them but like with you they inevitably return Crying or Very sad
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:01 am      Reply with quote
annesun wrote:
to DM,

Here is the link to the recipe index Havana8 put together and works quite hard to keep up with all our DIY additions, at the bottom is a list of links to suppliers including the UK and Australia!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH
DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've used the cheap St Ives apricot scrub, blemish and blackhead control with very good results. I used it 2x/day and wasn't really paying attention to it but by the time the tube was finished, my blackheads were gone! I know they recommend using it only 3 to 4x per week but I have oily skin and was just using it as my cleanser day and night. Good luck!
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="day0110"]
Quote:

I know, me neither until I saw it! I also saw a fresh flower vending machine Shock I'm guessing the BP (benzoyl peroxide) in the renewal lotion is what helps? Do you think a product like Clearasil or something would work the same?
[quote]

Oh only in America! Laughing

Yes BP would be what is doing the work. Im not sure if clearasil would be as effective as I havent tried it since I was like 13 Smile
BTW Clarisonic didnt float my boat much particularly with blackheads.. but thats just me.
I hope you find something that works for you as they are a bugger of a thing! Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

I would have to agree with darkmoon on this one, woshididi, I can't imagine how baby oil would help as mineral oil can't penetrate pores (correct me if I'm wrong anyone!) Do you use it to massage or just leave it on?[/quote]

You are correct, Castor Oil mixed in a carrier oil, cold pressed is best deep cleans the pores!

Jojoba (technically a wax ester) is very close to our natural sebum and also works to clean out the pores!

Both should be massaged on the skin, and thoroughly removed with hot cloth and water!

HTH
DM

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Jojoba (technically a wax ester) is very close to our natural sebum and also works to clean out the pores!

Thanks for the tip darkmoon and also the link to the other topic. Maybe I should try OCM with jojoba instead of avocado and concentrate on just my nose and chin (I tend to break out less there but have more blackheads Question )

Quote:
Oh only in America!

Totally agree pal! I'll keep your recommendation of Proactive in mind, thank you Very Happy

Quote:
I've used the cheap St Ives apricot scrub, blemish and blackhead control with very good results. I used it 2x/day and wasn't really paying attention to it but by the time the tube was finished, my blackheads were gone! I know they recommend using it only 3 to 4x per week but I have oily skin and was just using it as my cleanser day and night.

That's interesting moosejavian, thank you. I THINK I have seen this product around but I'll definitely have another look. Is it as harsh as the original St Ives? I'm a bit hesitant to use it if it is.
IMCathy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the crushed asprin mask/scrub? I know several people have posted here that they have had wondeful reults using that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46 am      Reply with quote
i put some warm wash cloth over my nose to open up the pores, and then i squeeze out the blackheads to get rid of them. seems to work for me.
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
to day0110:
sorry,me not from Aus,yeah,you're right Jurlique's overpriced, but still very fond of lavender line which is extremely good for my dry skin.

to pal:
yes,Ebay is good place buy, and now very happy drugstore also ships abroad, essence jojoba oil available.

to DM:
http://www.auracacia.com this link got to use Myus account, and the link to DIY recipes good
Smile
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
moosejavian wrote:
Hi, I've used the cheap St Ives apricot scrub, blemish and blackhead control with very good results. I know they recommend using it only 3 to 4x per week but I have oily skin and was just using it as my cleanser day and night.

like apricot scrub too, but careful not to use it too often,as it may thin your skin and turn it sensitive.

Natalyn wrote:
i put some warm wash cloth over my nose to open up the pores, and then i squeeze out the blackheads to get rid of them. seems to work for me.

hi,I never dare to squeeze them, I tried to pluck it out with a pair of tweezers,but my pores seems enlarged one month later and more blackheads occured, unlucky,if someone has some experience Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |