Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best Shampoo EVER: Brazilian Blowout
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
lagomorph
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, there are safety concerns with it. For me it was an acceptable risk, but I did a lot of research first and even then my idea of an acceptable risk might not be someone else's.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
lagomorph wrote:
Yeah, there are safety concerns with it. For me it was an acceptable risk, but I did a lot of research first and even then my idea of an acceptable risk might not be someone else's.

I just thought for the ease of it I would post the links for all to have quick access to
the research. Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
appaaaarently, the product used to have formeldehyde in it, and now it doesn't (according to my sis). regardless, hair dye, peroxide, perming solutions, all that stuff we put on our hair (and nails) is downright noxious.
i personally always do my own hair, even cuts, and never even blowdry my hair, and i try my best to stay away from chemicals. again, i am advocating the shampoo and conditioner, not the blowout itself. it seems to me to be a very good formulation.
i'm sorry, darkmoon, that you had an asthma attack from this procedure. that sounds serious!

DarkMoon wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Darkmoon... YOU ROCK!!!

NEXT PRODUCT PLEASE!!!

LMAO! Bring it on!
I just like to see informed consumers! Smile

DM

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 am      Reply with quote
When it comes to this forum, we all rely on each other to supply non-biased information on products. I for one appreciate all information, whether positive or negative, so I am able to make an informed education decision and I am sure every one else on here feels the same way.

I am still interested in learning more about this process, but I am glad to know the information that DarkMoon has provided as it will make me study it a bit more than I would have not knowing what some of these products do contain...

As far as the shampoo goes, I cringe at the thought of paying $30+ dollars for a bottle of shampoo and equally for conditioner, but if it gives me soft, silky, manageable hair it would be worth it's weight in gold! It would also teach me a valuable lesson in using the proper amount of shampoo and conditioner at each washing!! Laughing I have been a habitual "more is better gal" when it comes to those products and seem to go through them rather quickly...and at 30 bucks plus a pop, I would definitely think twice about that....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Bren!

avalange,

It wasn't me who had the asthma attack, that's from another forum just one stylists experience! They may have removed formaldehyde, but from
my reading they have dropped the amount to a "safe" level 1% 2%. The issue I see is some were considering buying it for home use from eBay and who ever really knows what you may get? I didn't research the shampoo or conditioner just the straightening product, it is a personal choice but if people have the information they can make informed decisions and ask the right questions before diving in without the facts!
I hope that clears up any confusion Smile

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I thought this was a pretty straight forward article about the bk treatment, hope this helps.

Salon Today Investigates Brazilian Keratin Services

Published: March 11, 2009
By Victoria Wurdinger

(The following report was featured in our sister publication, Salon Today magazine - March 2009. Due to the soaring level of interest in this topic, we decided to post it on ModernSalon.com as well. - Michele Musgrove, Associate Publisher & Creative Director MODERN SALON Media)

http://salontoday.com/TheBusinessof/tabid/147/ArticleLanding/tabid/130/Default.aspx?tid=1%26ContentID=237839
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Wow., thanks so much for posting this VERY informative article!
Okay! now i am much more frightened for my poor sister who is performing this procedure daily on her clients than i am for her clients!
exposure to gaseous formaldelyde is no joke, in the comfort of your own home, at a nail salon, or at a hair salon.
i don't think i'm going to try it after all. but i do think the shampoo has a lot of the keratin, which is why it makes the hair so shiny and thick. i will continue to use it.

the article seemed to state that the exposure to chemicals wasn't much worse than that you get from a perm. makes me realize that hair experts have it quite bad!
for the record, i absolutely and always applaud consumer awareness--you can look up my rants about petro-industrial by -products all over this board!

--avalange

lagomorph wrote:
I thought this was a pretty straight forward article about the bk treatment, hope this helps.

By Victoria Wurdinger

(The following report was featured in our sister publication, Salon Today magazine - March 2009. Due to the soaring level of interest in this topic, we decided to post it on ModernSalon.com as well. - Michele Musgrove, Associate Publisher & Creative Director MODERN SALON Media)

http://salontoday.com/TheBusinessof/tabid/147/ArticleLanding/tabid/130/Default.aspx?tid=1%26ContentID=237839

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
This is the main reason I choose to give up being a stylist 30 years ago when I found I was pregnant with the first if 4 kids, not this specific procedure but constant exposure to the fumes in any salon! It was not a risk I would take with my unborn child!

DM Smile

avalange wrote:
Wow., thanks so much for posting this VERY informative article!
Okay! now i am much more frightened for my poor sister who is performing this procedure daily on her clients than i am for her clients!
exposure to gaseous formaldelyde is no joke, in the comfort of your own home, at a nail salon, or at a hair salon.
i don't think i'm going to try it after all. but i do think the shampoo has a lot of the keratin, which is why it makes the hair so shiny and thick. i will continue to use it.

the article seemed to state that the exposure to chemicals wasn't much worse than that you get from a perm. makes me realize that hair experts have it quite bad!
for the record, i absolutely and always applaud consumer awareness--you can look up my rants about petro-industrial by -products all over this board!

--avalange

lagomorph wrote:

By Victoria Wurdinger

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Lagomorph... AWESOME article... thanks...

Yeah... I can see how salon employees are really in jeopardy with their health... and honestly, since I like to do my hair stuff at home, that this would be completely unsafe in my "not ventilated" well enough environment... Plus kids...

Thanks for all the input everyone... I might even check out their shampoo... we'll see..

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Yeah... I can see how salon employees are really in jeopardy with their health... and honestly, since I like to do my hair stuff at home, that this would be completely unsafe in my "not ventilated" well enough environment... Plus kids...

Thanks for all the input everyone... I might even check out their shampoo... we'll see..

On the links I posted there are the same cautions about the release of noxious gasses and those dangers. I don't beleive it's safe in a home enviorment or many salons, unless they install very high tech and expensive equipment to vent all those fumes out!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Actually, I can't stand fumes of any kind. Even PER-fumes make me angry, and especially cigarette fumes...
But you know what makes me instantly allergic? those horrible chemicals they put into drugstore shampoos, conditioners, and shower gels. They instantly hurt the inside of my nose and cause me to sneeze and break out in hives!!!
I cut and color my own hair in order to avoid the salon, because it is so fume-y. even though my sister does hair at a salon. poor gal!

--avalange

DarkMoon wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

On the links I posted there are the same cautions about the release of noxious gasses and those dangers. I don't beleive it's safe in a home enviorment or many salons, unless they install very high tech and expensive equipment to vent all those fumes out!

DM

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:36 am      Reply with quote
We all seem to have different triggers, what bothers my (well just tearing eyes) are any artificial fragrances, yet I know people who have the exact opisite reaction they can't tolerate natural fragrances, which don't effect my in any negative way! They can use artifical fragrances without a problem!
I don't care for the fumes in salons either, always cause a major headache, I color at home too!

DM

avalange wrote:
Actually, I can't stand fumes of any kind. Even PER-fumes make me angry, and especially cigarette fumes...
But you know what makes me instantly allergic? those horrible chemicals they put into drugstore shampoos, conditioners, and shower gels. They instantly hurt the inside of my nose and cause me to sneeze and break out in hives!!!
I cut and color my own hair in order to avoid the salon, because it is so fume-y. even though my sister does hair at a salon. poor gal!

--avalange

DarkMoon wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I did the treatment outside on my deck with a large fan blowing. In the freezing cold! Laughing
I also wore a mask. I wouldn't want to do this inside, even in a specially ventilated salon.

I hope your sister's salon provides masks,ect. and follows safety protocol.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 am      Reply with quote
It's amazing the things we put ourselves through for the sake of beauty Shock....I also will opt for the shampoo only option and thanks a bunch for the article DM...my curly, sometimes unruly hair aint so bad and definitely not bad enough to put my health at risk. I think we have enough of these noxious fumes floating in our environment to deal with on a daily basis already...no need to add to the mix...

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:26 am      Reply with quote
For those of you who have used the Brazilian Blowout conditioner how does it compare to Moroccan oil in terms of smoothing out the frizz? I don't have curly hair but color & age have dried out by hair to the point where it looks like straw, especially the top.
Highlights seem to be the culprit. I have tried masks, oils, mousse, anti-humidity smoothing milk, straightening lotion etc. etc. to no avail.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Dear Bellezza,

BB blows Moroccan oil out of the water, in my opinion. My sister (who turned me on to brazilian) also sells moroccan and she succumbed to the hype for a bit, but now she claims it's not that great. it is good for curly, unruly, and couarse hair.
brazilian seems to add sheen and bounce and volume to my regular, slightly dry, and like your, highlighted, hair.

The only problem is that i cannot go very long without washing my hair, which might in the end make this an expensive habit. with other shampoos/conditioners, i can go a three full days before my hair looks oily or dirty. not so with brazilian--max two days. i think a clarifying treatment probably needs to be incorporated into this regime if possible.

--avalange

Bellezza wrote:
For those of you who have used the Brazilian Blowout conditioner how does it compare to Moroccan oil in terms of smoothing out the frizz? I don't have curly hair but color & age have dried out by hair to the point where it looks like straw, especially the top.
Highlights seem to be the culprit. I have tried masks, oils, mousse, anti-humidity smoothing milk, straightening lotion etc. etc. to no avail.

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Avalange. I see BB on eBay, I'm tempted to bid on conditioner...

Have you used the BB conditioner alone, I mean after a shampoo other than BB? Do you think the conditioner alone would be sufficient to smooth out the fizz or is it advisable to use both products for desired results?
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
What are the ingredients?
ahen9
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:52 am      Reply with quote
Never heard about this product, will be interested to know more.
Thanks for posting.
moosejavian
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wow this is really interesting, now I'm looking up if there is a salon that does this in my area. I'm sure there won't be any though, lol, since I live in a small city in the praries. Would have to look out for the shampoo and conditioner as my hair has dried out from the Japanese style of hair straightening.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:

--avalange

DarkMoon wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

DM

For me it is those Glade and other chemical air fresheners.
I get dizzyness and headaches from them.

Even the gel ones.
The only scented thing I can use at home are candles, and I try and get natural candles after hearing so much about how burning parafin candles is like smoking inside almost.

My favorite candles is the pure beewax candle made by a local person.
The wax is not filtered so it is different shades depending on the type of honey comb used.
what sucks is the price it is like $20+ for a candle..but they smell so nice (like a honeycomb).

I was just at an ofice and someone decided to spray some air freshener in the air and that made me so dizzy and I felt like throwing up.
Not fun at all.

I can imagine working in a salon would be bad.
I know people that are nail technicians and that is bad for chemicals too.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
I will be going in for my third "Brazilian Blowout." I've gotten the Copala brand that does not use dangerous chemicals..it actually improves your hair with each treatment. My hair is getting longer and longer.

I basically makes your hair as it was when you were little. Silky smooth and youthful. I never realized how smooth silky hair makes one look so much younger. If you think about it..hair ages too. After I got my treatment...I started noticing young high school girls hair..how shinny and smooth. Mine looked just like that. It is addictive...just like Botox..because it works.
It is expensive...but I used to spend 25 dollars once or twice a week to have my hair blown out because it is naturally frizzy. Now I can always do my hair myself. That is another benefit. Blowdrying takes a fraction of the time and your hair comes out PERFECT with no need to fool with it. I can't tell you how wonderful it is.
So for me...the cost of the Copala treatment is around 350 dollars to 400..but I spend that much on getting my hair blown out over three months anyway. This way my hair looks great 24/7
highdarks

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I just bough Brazilian Blowout shampoo and conditioner and then I found all these writings about the treatment being quite dangerous. Does anyonw know whether the products (shampoo and conditioner) have high risks? I mean that isn´t it the heat that together with the chemicals forms the dangerous gases?
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I don't think using the shampoo & conditioner poses any danger. I've used it and found it harmless, also ineffective and at the price it sells for I wouldn't rebuy it.
moonda
5% products discount

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
I know in Perth Australia and New Zealand all products and treatments were put on hold and reviewed as to how safe they were and had to change levels to be safe.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |