Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) Orlane Eye AM Radiantly Beautiful Duo (2 items) Rodial Stretch MX (150 ml / 5.1 floz)
HELP!!! Raw scrape on my face!

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chellelynn
5% products discount

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
PLEASE HELP ME! I have a scrape on my face where a layer of my skin peeled off! Here is what happened...
I am on Retin A Micro Gel .1% and I resisted the urge to pop a pimple on my cheek. Instead I applied a hot compress by dipping a washcloth in hot water and placing it on the zit to try to bring the pimple to a head. After applying the hot compress, a blister formed on my skin and an entire layer of my skin tore off!!! Ouch!
Now I am left with a raw patch of exposed skin! What should I do?!? I applied some polysporin on it last night and placed a bandaid over it. Today I picked up some zinc oxide cream from the store and applied it as well.
What can I do to make this heal faster? I am so angry because for once I resisted the urge to squeeze and pop my pimple and ironically I am left with a worse result than popping it would have had! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I would stick with the antibiotic ointment and the zinc cream, very gentle cleansing of course! It's going to take time! Here is why the zinc helps with the healing process! Sorry this happened, hope it is better quickly!

HTH
DM

Zinc in wound healing: Theoretical, experimental, and clinical aspects
Authors: Lansdown, Alan B. G.1; Mirastschijski, Ursula2; Stubbs, Nicky3; Scanlon, Elizabeth3; Ågren, Magnus S.4
Source: Wound Repair and Regeneration, Volume 15, Number 1, January-February 2007 , pp. 2-16(15)

Abstract:
Zinc is an essential trace element in the human body and its importance in health and disease is appreciated. It serves as a cofactor in numerous transcription factors and enzyme systems including zinc-dependent matrix metalloproteinases that augment autodebridement and keratinocyte migration during wound repair. Zinc confers resistance to epithelial apoptosis through cytoprotection against reactive oxygen species and bacterial toxins possibly through antioxidant activity of the cysteine-rich metallothioneins. Zinc deficiency of hereditary or dietary cause can lead to pathological changes and delayed wound healing. Oral zinc supplementation may be beneficial in treating zinc-deficient leg ulcer patients, but its therapeutic place in surgical patients needs further clarification. Topical administration of zinc appears to be superior to oral therapy due to its action in reducing superinfections and necrotic material via enhanced local defense systems and collagenolytic activity, and the sustained release of zinc ions that stimulates epithelialization of wounds in normozincemic individuals. Zinc oxide in paste bandages (Unna boot) protects and soothes inflamed peri-ulcer skin. Zinc is transported through the skin from these formulations, although the systemic effects seem insignificant. We present here the first comprehensive account of zinc in wound management in relation to current concepts of wound bed preparation and the wound-healing cascade. This review article suggests that topical zinc therapy is underappreciated even though clinical evidence emphasizes its importance in autodebridement, anti-infective action, and promotion of epithelialization.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/wrr/2007/00000015/00000001/art00003

5% products discount

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback and sympathy DarkMoon... I had heard zinc oxide was helpful in healing and appreciate the explanation why!

Do you think it's beneficial to cover it with a bandaid?

I just can't believe this happened... I'm assuming the Retin A must have made my skin super sensitive to the heat Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
chellelynn wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and sympathy DarkMoon... I had heard zinc oxide was helpful in healing and appreciate the explanation why!

Do you think it's beneficial to cover it with a bandaid?

I just can't believe this happened... I'm assuming the Retin A must have made my skin super sensitive to the heat Sad

You are welcome! I don't think the bandaid would hurt at all and will keep the ointment on as well as protect the wound from dirt ect. I am
not sure what caused it you may be right, Retin A does make some have much more sensitive skin until you become accustomed to it! Just be really careful and baby it, it will heal!

Smile
DM

5% products discount

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
Any idea about how long it will take to heal?

Also do you think it will scab over? Or is there any way I can prevent a nasty scab from forming...?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
chellelynn wrote:

Also do you think it will scab over? Or is there any way I can prevent a nasty scab from forming...?

I believe a scab is natures way of protecting your skin as new growth takes place! You want to avoid picking or accidentally removing a scab before it's done it's job or you tend to bleed forming a new scab!
I think what we already discussed will help it heal as fast as possible, the variables on a wound healing are so many I would not venture a guess as to how long it will take but keeping it clean and covered with the ointments are your best bet!
HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I agree an antibiotic ointment would be best. I use polysporin. Covering with a bandaid is a good idea if you can, it will help keep the ointment on.
chellelynn
5% products discount

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
I agree an antibiotic ointment would be best. I use polysporin. Covering with a bandaid is a good idea if you can, it will help keep the ointment on.

Thanks for the advice GirlieGirl! I am have been applying polysporin ointment and zinc oxide cream on the scrape since it happened... It looks a bit better today already.

I just hope it heals quickly... That is the last time I am using the hot compress method to get rid of a pimple Sad

It was sooo frustrating to try to get rid of a pimple the "right" way and not pop it just to be left with a piece of my skin torn off~!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there! I've done this sort of thing to myself many times, and worse! (There was once a really unfortunate incident where I took a strip of skin off waxing...) Anyways, my best advice is to get a prescription for something called "Biafine" the next time you go to the derm. It's dirt cheap (maybe $15 for a big tube?), and it makes your skin heal more quickly--- something about bringing more white blood cells to the area or some such. Anyways, I don't know exactly how it works, but the long and the short of it is that it heals stuff like this up WITHOUT even having to have a nasty scab. It's wonderful!! I did something similar to what you did a few days ago, and put a dab of biafine on it and went to bed. In the morning it was healed over enough that I could put concealer on it and no one could see it-- I was thrilled!

Anyways, in the meantime I would actually NOT use polysporin. My derm says something about it tends to cause more reactions than neosporin et al. My favorite anti-bac ointment is actually made by a company called "Brave Soldier." It's a little pricier, but it contains lavender to help with the redness ad lidocaine to help with the pain. Great stuff. A close second would be Burt's Bees Res-Q ointment which is a little more readily available. Keep a generous layer on when you are at home, and a light layer when you go out and it should heal up in a few days with minimal scarring. Hang in there!

5% products discount

Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Manslayerliz~

Thanks for the advice and support. I am glad to hear I am not the only person out there who has accidentally "wounded" themselves!

I will ask my dermatologist for a prescription for biafine. I actually have a follow up appointment on Tuesday morning with my derm so she can see how I am doing with the Retin A so far. Also, I recently just ordered some Brave Soldier ointment online after reading some raves reviews of the product on this forum... Too bad it won't be here for another couple of days Sad

If nothing else, this whole stressful experience has taught me one important thing... Retin A users SHOULD NEVER underestimate the sensitivity of their skin!!! I know they say "never say never", but I will never mess with my skin again!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I gave myself a nasty road rash last year tumbeling off my Harley-ouch indeed

I used plain vasaline reapplying often to keep it moist; Wounds have been found to heal better in a moist enviroment that does NOT allow a scab to form.
I would not occlude (cober with bandage) as many people have developed latex and rubber (adhesive) allergies. facial skin is delicate!
I am very prone to reactions- so I would agree to avoid the "sporins".

5% products discount

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Hey ladies!

I just wanted to update everyone... I went to the dermatologist this morning for an appointment and she gave me a sample and prescription for Biafine (thank you Manslayerliz!) to apply on the abrasion.

So far, I have been keeping the area moist and it has responded well. It is just slightly pink today and most of the redness and inflammation has gone down. It looks sooo much better already so I am hopeful it will be healed completely in no time!

My dermatologist told me my skin was probably on the sensitive due to the Retin A, so chances are that's why a layer of my skin peeled off the way it did!

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and support! Having a layer of your skin peel off your face is a traumatic experience I hope never to repeat again! Smile

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Question? I had a fall while running outside on Monday morning and basically did a face plant into concrete and I have a similar scrape...not deep but about 2 inches long and a half inch wide where the top layer of the skin came off. I cleansed the area and treated it with ice (for swelling) and then the doctor gave me bactroban. Yesterday the thin, brownish scabs came off while I was applying more antibiotic ointment and now the skin is pink and a little tender. Just filled a prescription for BiaFine hoping that it will help heal my abbrasions more quickly. The box said to put a thick layer on 1 time per day...how did you guys use it? Did you cover it at night? Please help...I'm so afriad of having a scar.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:10 am      Reply with quote
chellelynn wrote:

I tried using carrot seed oil and rosehip oil and also the Weleda wound care.

I fell on my face earlier this year and totally scrapped the skin off my chin and upper lip a bit.

After a week or two of using Weleda wound care my skin was looking much better and I applied mineral makeup on top.
I had a few people actually say I made up falling on my face as my skin looked too nice already.
I did not tell those people that they were seeing me with mineral makeup powder.

Now around 4 months later, my chin area is just blotchy and red and hopefully that goes away soon.
with mineral makeup my skin looks nice at least!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask (113.4 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta 14 Day Challenge - Original Formula (2 items) Rodial Stretch MX (150 ml / 5.1 floz)