Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Clarisonic users...I need some advice please! ++
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
kellywilson0

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I purchased a Clarisonic Mia last month, and have been using it at least once/day for about 3 weeks so far. For the first week, I used it twice/day, and then decided that that may be a bit much (my face was pretty red from it); since then, I've used it only at night.

I'm also religious (read: OCD) about keeping it clean and dry, so here's my process after every use: I remove the brush head and spray it with Hydrogen Peroxide (I read somewhere that rubbing alcohol wasn't good for the brush, so I figured Peroxide might be a better option for killing the bad stuff?). I then rinse the brush head with running water, and manually dry it off. Then, I place it back on the Clarisonic, and turn the Clarisonic on for maybe 10-15 seconds while holding the brush in a towel...once it's dry, I remove the brush head again, and leave the 2 parts separate to dry until I use it again the next night.

I've heard of the skin 'purging' when you start using this product, so I was expecting that...and truthfully, it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting it to be.

However, I have noticed a few things: 1) I'm breaking out slightly more than I was pre-Clarisonic (probably purging), but it's in areas where I've never broken out before (my cheeks, for example)...which suggests to me that maybe I'm spreading bacteria around to different parts of my face? Although I don't have too many active pimples at the moment, and I try to keep the brush very clean; 2) The pores on my nose initially looked much clearer, but I've noticed in the past week or so that they seem to have reverted back to their pre-Clarisonic state of cloginess (yuck). But using the brush more than once/day seems to irritate my skin a bit (I'm using the sensitive brush head, for reference...I just ordered a delicate head to see if maybe that will allow me to use it more often).

Any thoughts/suggestions? I've recently started using Acne.org's BP gel as well, and my skin doesn't seem so happy about it...I've used 10% BP gel for years as a spot treatment, and my skin responds well to it...but apparently 2.5% BP is not to it's liking. So that could be part of the problem as well. I don't intend to give up on the Clarisonic, as I think it might take more time for my skin to adjust...but I just thought I'd post this in hopes that some of the experts may have some suggestions!

Thank you for your help! Smile
havana8

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kelly, I'm sure others will pop in with suggestions but in the meantime, here are a couple of good Clarisonic threads that discuss some of the issues you've mentioned:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34329&highlight=clarisonic

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33521&highlight=clarisonic

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=24472&highlight=clarisonic

Welcome to EDS. wave
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kelly,
Just a thought...but could the problem be the cleanser you're using?

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I started using Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash around the same time I started using the Clarisonic. Before that, I was using Dove's Sensitive skin beauty bar, but it was drying my face out.

Any suggestions for a gentle cleanser to use with it? Everything I've used so far has seemed to dry my oily skin out too much!

Thanks for the help!
LD
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Kelly, I don't have the MIA, just the Clarisonic Pro version. I have always used Cetaphil gentle wash or Philosophy Purity and they were never drying. I have tried the purpose just on it's own a while back and did find it very drying. BTW, what is the difference in the Mia vs the Clarisonic? LD
kellywilson0

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LD!

I actually never gave much thought , and the to the cleanser, but I'll definitely switch it up to see if it makes a difference! I have a new Boots face wash I had been wanting to try anyway.

I think the main differences between the Mia and the Classic Clarisonic are the size (the Mia is the travel version), and the speed settings (the Mia only has one). Other than that, I don't know of any other differences, but there may be others Smile
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
do you think Mia is good enough to use? i am thinking to buy one myself, dunno if i should go for mia or not
kellywilson0

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes, sorry about the typos in my last message...must have been multi-tasking and not paying attention to what I was typing!

I've never used any of the other Clarisonic models, so I can only speak about the Mia...I decided to give that one a try because the price was significantly less than the other models that I had seen...plus, I got cash back from Bing, so that made the price even better! I'd be interested to see what some of the other folks have to say about the other models, though! Smile
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I had the same results when I first started using the Clarisonic. Small breakouts in areas that I never had acne before. I assumed it was purging and kept up with it. Took probably about 2-3 months but not only did the breakouts stop, but my forehead (problem area) cleared up completely and I haven't had a problem with acne or clogged pres since. I started using the Jansen Beckett cleansing milk (buy here at EDS) at the same time as the Clarisonic and I love it. Very gentle. I use the Clarisonic twice a day. Two minutes cleansing then about 30 secs under water make sure all the gleansing residue is off my face. I wash my Clarisonic brush with liquid hand soap every 2-3 days and soak the brush in hydrogen peroxide overnight about once a month.
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:33 am      Reply with quote
My friend bought it six months ago, using stopped working after a period of time, and she did not know how to repair.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 am      Reply with quote
I have both the Mia and the larger version with the spot treatment attachment (for the body) and absolutely love it. I really found it makes your skin feel a lot cleaner after using it, regardless of which cleanser I use a little goes a long way. I found both the Mia and the classic version much the same, I agree the only difference is the speed.
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:23 am      Reply with quote
I also just got mine a couple weeks ago. I use it 1x a day.

First thing I noticed it unclogged open clogged pores, which I liked. I think however, I am also going through purging, but it's not so bad. Just small bumps on the sides of my face.

As for cleaning the brush, I'm not very good at that. I forgot to remove the brush head last week to clean it. I figure the bristles are made from plastic, plastic is non-porous and shouldn't harbour bacteria as long as it gets the opportunity to dry completely and no gunk (ie dead skin cells) are left on the bristles.
kellywilson0

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the info., Diana! It's been about 5 weeks so far, so I'll definitely be giving it some more time to let the purging die down.

The Jansen Beckett cleansing milk that you mentioned - is it good for combination/reactive/clog/acne-prone skin? It seems like every cleanser I try is either way too drying (which exacerbates the oil production and makes me shinier), or way too emollient (doesn't wash cleanly off and leads to clogged pores and breakouts)...it's like Goldilocks - I need to find one that's juuuuuuuust right Smile haha.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
kellywilson0 wrote:
The Jansen Beckett cleansing milk that you mentioned - is it good for combination/reactive/clog/acne-prone skin? It seems like every cleanser I try is either way too drying (which exacerbates the oil production and makes me shinier), or way too emollient (doesn't wash cleanly off and leads to clogged pores and breakouts)...it's like Goldilocks - I need to find one that's juuuuuuuust right Smile haha.

I have acne prone, sensitive skin and was having the same issues when trying to find a cleanser I liked. Someone had recommended the JB for use with the Clarisonic. I use a small pump on my face just with my hands to remove most of my eye/face make-up (I use MMU) before using the brush. I then use the brush for 2 mins, rinse, then use the Clarisonic for an additional 30 sec to 1 mins under the shower head. I find this removes all residue from the cleanser and leaves my face feeling clean and moisturized. I should also mention that since using the Clarisonic I stopped using physical scrubs and now only use PSF pumpkin peel twice a week and PRF retinol nite repair nightly. During the day I use Zenbiotic products (toner, oxygen and phyto moisturizer, PSF vitamin C and NIA24 sunscreen. This has work amazingly well for me to clear up my skin.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
I then use the brush for 2 mins, rinse, then use the Clarisonic for an additional 30 sec to 1 mins under the shower head.

Sorry, stupid question coming. So, you are basically rinsing with the Clarisonic too, is that right? I wondered how everyone was doing this, because after cleansing with the Clarisonic, I just put the brush down and rinsed my face with my hands!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Diana P wrote:
I then use the brush for 2 mins, rinse, then use the Clarisonic for an additional 30 sec to 1 mins under the shower head.

Sorry, stupid question coming. So, you are basically rinsing with the Clarisonic too, is that right? I wondered how everyone was doing this, because after cleansing with the Clarisonic, I just put the brush down and rinsed my face with my hands!

I use the Clarisonic while in the shower and after cleansing I rinse off my face, then hold my face under the running water and continue to use the Clarisonic until I feel I have removed all residue.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:

I use the Clarisonic while in the shower and after cleansing I rinse off my face, then hold my face under the running water and continue to use the Clarisonic until I feel I have removed all residue.

Thank you, Diana P!
icyj
5% products discount

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Philosophy's Purity Cleanser is the best to use with the clarisonic!! Takes all makeup off and leaves skin feeling smooth!
Tallisa
5% products discount

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:15 am      Reply with quote
I need some advice, has anyone with really dry skin used the clarisonic without having problems? I have post-accutane skin and am keen to get rid of scarring etc. Its been almost a year since ive been off it.

Thank you.
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Clarisonic and consider it my holy grail of my skincare regimen. What I have learned in my years of use for my sensitive, blemish prone, hyper-pigmented, milia skin. It is all now under control.

1) If you have sensitive skin...that issue normally trumps all others and could be the culprit to your breakouts, excessive oil or dry outs.
1A) - I have converted to the new UltraCalming line from Dermalogica and FREAKING LOVE IT! I don't use an exfoliant and only use the Cleanser, Toner, Serum, and Barrier Repair with amazing results.. This has been my routine 2X a day for over a year now.

2)Use a mild non-soap cleanser for your face with the Clarisonic.

3)ALWAYS use a pre-cleanser before cleansing with the brush. It will help with overall sanitation for unit and for skin, prolong the life of the bristles, and help with truly cleansing your face for product penetration.

I am an Esthetician and use this on every one of my clients with amazing results. I stick to my experience with handling it as well as your comments on this forum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Hi Kelly, I'm sure others will pop in with suggestions but in the meantime, here are a couple of good Clarisonic threads that discuss some of the issues you've mentioned:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34329&highlight=clarisonic

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33521&highlight=clarisonic

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=24472&highlight=clarisonic

Welcome to EDS. wave

Good answer, but she raised a very good point/concern that I don't remember reading on other threads. This thread is valid.

kellywilson0: You made a very good point that perhaps that the brush may be spreading bad stuff all over your face. If there is enough soap/cleanser, that product will do it's job and the Clarisonic just help do a deeper cleaning job.
As for taking a long time to go through the purging, there may be other aspects that may be contributing to the long length to go through this stage. Maybe you hormones from having your monthly can be part of the problem. Be consistant and see what happens. Apply less of your moisturizer, because now your skin can absorb better of your other skin care products. Someone mentioned that your cleanser may not be right. This also made me realize that the one I had before was not a good cleanser. I ended up using Cetaphil or Cellcosmet.

As for cleaning your brush, I wash mine once a week and maybe more, depending on the heavy layers of sunscreen I had on. Using alcohol/hydrogen Peroxide will dry out the brush faster.

I also hope you eat fish as part of your regular diet. Fish fat is easier to digest for your stomach and skin.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Miss Tina wrote:
I use the Clarisonic and consider it my holy grail of my skincare regimen. What I have learned in my years of use for my sensitive, blemish prone, hyper-pigmented, milia skin. It is all now under control.

1) If you have sensitive skin...that issue normally trumps all others and could be the culprit to your breakouts, excessive oil or dry outs.
1A) - I have converted to the new UltraCalming line from Dermalogica and FREAKING LOVE IT! I don't use an exfoliant and only use the Cleanser, Toner, Serum, and Barrier Repair with amazing results.. This has been my routine 2X a day for over a year now.

2)Use a mild non-soap cleanser for your face with the Clarisonic.

3)ALWAYS use a pre-cleanser before cleansing with the brush. It will help with overall sanitation for unit and for skin, prolong the life of the bristles, and help with truly cleansing your face for product penetration.

I am an Esthetician and use this on every one of my clients with amazing results. I stick to my experience with handling it as well as your comments on this forum.

MissTina,

What do you mean by a pre-cleanser before cleaning with the brush? Do you have a specific product recommendation? And, do you have recommendations for a good non-soap cleanser? Last question (!), how often do you use the Clarisonic. I find daily use is way too much for my skin, so I am using it only once a week, but I am not sure if that is enough or not. TIA!
Miss Tina
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
I have become a big fan of the Dermalogica line. I use the PreCleanse And cleanser habitually. I use the clarisonic 2x a day and it hasn't irritated my skin in the least bit. However, I suggest to keep your technique with how you hold the brush and allowing the bristles to dance across your skin, in check.

This brush has kept my skin clean and fresh. Otherwise, I am not sure if all that sunscreen would be properly washed off.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:27 am      Reply with quote
Miss Tina wrote:
Quote:
I have become a big fan of the Dermalogica line. I use the PreCleanse And cleanser habitually. I use the clarisonic 2x a day and it hasn't irritated my skin in the least bit. However, I suggest to keep your technique with how you hold the brush and allowing the bristles to dance across your skin, in check.

Miss Tina, what is a pre-cleanser? I understand you are using the Dermatologica brand, and it has a pre-cleanser, but for those that don't use this brand, do you just cleanse with your cleanser twice?

I am thinking I would really like to purchase one of these devices, but am wondering about the removal of make-up. At present, I remove my make-up with cetaphil (non greasy), then use my chosen facial cleanser (Jurlique) to sort of finish the job off properly, adding nutrients as it does it's job.
So, how would I go about the process of make-up removal with one of these?
TIA Smile

Female, 37, brunette, Fair/medium Skin. European background. Combination skin, that becomes sensitive & reactive when emotionaly & physically stressed & also reacts terribly to heat and wind. Plant your own garden, decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to send you flowers. Smile
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't really understand this pre-wash thing. I use eye makeup remover when when wearing heavy eye makeup, then my usual wash.
Usually, my cleanser can remove makeup and does not irritate my eyes.
I don't like too many extra steps to wash and the cleanser should do it's job with one wash. Clarisonic just add extra deep cleaning to your routine.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |