Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dry Brushing

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to ask what kind of pressure you were all using ? do you build up to more pressure ?

Also, does anyone build up to a coarser brush ? I have started with a fairly soft one, but I have read that some people can use actual nail brushes,

many thanks

Jackie xx
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Yep I have, but I'm prone to broken caps, so any kind of new techniques also seem to give me trouble with that. My advice is to watch your pressure, you don't need to press the brush in hard, literally your just wanting to brush the surface.

You can continue, but ease up on the pressure and you should find that your caps wont get iritated. The other thing is to apply serum afterwards. I used to have a great Vit C, aloe gel combo that worked a treat too.

Sean
EC413 wrote:
Ahhh, I noticed since dry brushing a few NEW broken capillaries have show up on my face. One right below my eye, and another on my cheek. They're both light, but will only get worse with time. The broken capillaries on my nose have also become worse since dry brushing and now my nose looks even more red! Is there anything I can do about this? If I continue to dry-brush will my skin thicken? Or should I completely stop now before it get's worse?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Its one of those things you learn as you go, but initially I think its best to start off with light pressure, as though your literally just lightly brushing dust of your skin surface (as thats what your essentially doing). Then over time increase it and see how your face responds.

You can build up to a coarser brush if you wish. I have at times used my body brush on my face, but also a natural nail brush I had purchased. Its down to the user, but I think in the beginning its best to avoid such tools.
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to ask what kind of pressure you were all using ? do you build up to more pressure ?

Also, does anyone build up to a coarser brush ? I have started with a fairly soft one, but I have read that some people can use actual nail brushes,

many thanks

Jackie xx

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 am      Reply with quote
I have a tendency towards broken capillaries and have had since I was in my very early teens. Over time dry skin brushing my face has thickened my skin and now I don't get broken capillaries at all. However when I first started dry skin brushing my face it did make them worse. I found the best thing to do is to dry brush very gently every second day until your skin becomes stronger.

I now dry brush my face every second day fairy vigorously and find this is enough to give me skin that is thick, elastic and smooth as a baby's bottom. If I dry brush my face every day it becomes very slightly irritated. I think everyones skin is a bit different. Start slowly and remember our skin changes from day to day and what it can take from day to day changes. Just like exercise for our bodies. You know how some days you can run faster, do more sit ups etc and another day you're completely cactus.
LD
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Sean, I have been dry brushing my body since reading this forum and I love it. It have given me back the shiny skin I used to always have naturally. I never had to exfoliate before, just took alot of Honey baths. That was my body skin care. No lotion needed. On my face i use the Clarisonic, microfiber cloth and just recently started the Carole Maggio Mitts. Not all at the same time! Would dry brushing my face be overkill? I live in St. Louis, winter now and don't want to overdo it? The addition of the mitts seem to be bringing out undereye creepiness? Also use the Lightstim, facial exercise and massage when I remember. Tuo Viso when I get lazy!! I am 49 and don't want to do damage. Thanks, LD
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hey there. Ok with dry brushing, it is a method of exfoliation. So with the microfiber cloth and Maggio’s mitts your be overkilling it if you do dry brushing as well. You could alternate though perhaps. One week do the microfiber cloth, the next the dry brushing. I had Maggio’s mits, and didn’t think they came anywhere near the results I got from dry brushing. I also have Nanci’s microfiber cloth which I love, but think dong the two of them together would be too much exfoliation, but see how your skin responds.

Those are all good things your doing, but doing them all together might overwork things, so your better off trying to add them into your weekly schedule spaced out. Its not that your do damage, but overworking them will give you a funky look with all that stuff. Better to see how your face responds and give it time to recuperate from those activities.
LD wrote:
Sean, I have been dry brushing my body since reading this forum and I love it. It have given me back the shiny skin I used to always have naturally. I never had to exfoliate before, just took alot of Honey baths. That was my body skin care. No lotion needed. On my face i use the Clarisonic, microfiber cloth and just recently started the Carole Maggio Mitts. Not all at the same time! Would dry brushing my face be overkill? I live in St. Louis, winter now and don't want to overdo it? The addition of the mitts seem to be bringing out undereye creepiness? Also use the Lightstim, facial exercise and massage when I remember. Tuo Viso when I get lazy!! I am 49 and don't want to do damage. Thanks, LD

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
I have a tendency towards broken capillaries and have had since I was in my very early teens. Over time dry skin brushing my face has thickened my skin and now I don't get broken capillaries at all. However when I first started dry skin brushing my face it did make them worse. I found the best thing to do is to dry brush very gently every second day until your skin becomes stronger.

I now dry brush my face every second day fairy vigorously and find this is enough to give me skin that is thick, elastic and smooth as a baby's bottom. If I dry brush my face every day it becomes very slightly irritated. I think everyones skin is a bit different. Start slowly and remember our skin changes from day to day and what it can take from day to day changes. Just like exercise for our bodies. You know how some days you can run faster, do more sit ups etc and another day you're completely cactus.

Luckylouie,

Wow, that's great! Thanks for chiming it; that's very encouraging. Smile

I haven't yet taken the plunge and dry brushed my face yet (I use a microfiber cloth). But I was wondering which dry brush you use on your face. Do you use a particular brand?

Thanks so much! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Sean, thanks for the quick reply. You seem to be everywhere on here with great advice. Very generous!! I have a million questions, but only allowed 5 post being a new member. I bought the mitts because of all the hype on another thread. I'm not seeing anything great just more eye dryness. Trying to be careful. My skin feels baby soft with all the exfoliation it just looks more fragile and wrinkly if you know what I mean. Just an FYI, for me dry brushing the body just before a honey bath soak is fabulous. Baby soft skin with a glow from the heavens!!
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Not at all - my answers are usually fleeting as time is quite scarce at the moment. With the dry brushing and mits, you can apply your moisturiser (or actives) after as it may help them penetrate deeper. So what your saying re the body doesn’t surprise me. It also works when people do it before showering (and some dedicated folk brush, and then do hot,cold showering afterwards to stimulate the lymph and blood at the same time - but that’s far too brave for me).
LD wrote:
Sean, thanks for the quick reply. You seem to be everywhere on here with great advice. Very generous!! I have a million questions, but only allowed 5 post being a new member. I bought the mitts because of all the hype on another thread. I'm not seeing anything great just more eye dryness. Trying to be careful. My skin feels baby soft with all the exfoliation it just looks more fragile and wrinkly if you know what I mean. Just an FYI, for me dry brushing the body just before a honey bath soak is fabulous. Baby soft skin with a glow from the heavens!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
LuckyLouie, thank you... that's very encouraging to read that you are ALSO prone to broken capillaries and that yours seem to diminish over time with dry brushing, even though at first they aggravated them. Gives me hope! I feel like my skin is so thin and almost transparent.

I still feel so scared doing it underneath my eyes, as we all know that area is delicate and thin already. I've been doing it very lightly though.

We'll see if I can get my skin to thicken up, that'd be awesome.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:56 am      Reply with quote
For thickening skin up, if you know your skin is already thin and weak and your prone also to capillaries, then you should take your time with not going at the eye area aggressively, but doing it maybe twice a week (with a few days in between to really let the skin recover), and maybe doing something like an under eye massage (as massage alone can thicken the skin).

Dry brushing is great for getting the lymph moving and does thicken the skin over time, but is an exfoliation method. I think massage thickens the skin faster and with less iritation (and your less likely to burst capillaries with massage). If your primary goal is skin thickening then often supplementation with both Vit C, MSM and antioxidants can help your body to do this.

I often have people who are new to dry brushing do it on an area of their body that doesn't concern them, for example their hands, just so they get used to how to do it, without pushing the brush into the skin.

Sean
EC413 wrote:
LuckyLouie, thank you... that's very encouraging to read that you are ALSO prone to broken capillaries and that yours seem to diminish over time with dry brushing, even though at first they aggravated them. Gives me hope! I feel like my skin is so thin and almost transparent.

I still feel so scared doing it underneath my eyes, as we all know that area is delicate and thin already. I've been doing it very lightly though.

We'll see if I can get my skin to thicken up, that'd be awesome.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Sean, I'd feel more comfortable with the massage undereye. Like I said the mitts and other methods seemed to make it more creepy? It might be a temporary thing but it scared me. I have Ageless but it there a certain way to massage the undereye area without creating damage? Thanks for all your info!! LD
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Sure the massage is an excellent tool. With massage, and the under eye area, its important to go slowly at first. Otherwise if you go too aggressively you can get puffy eyes (but they are not permanent, its just your body's response to the stimulus), whereas if you go slowly, your body adjusts and you get away without those kind of results.

I think Lou has written about massage in her book, so if you have that (or the dvd where she demo's it), your be fine. It takes time for massage to work its magic, but at FlexEffect, we often tell people to massage an area twice a day for at least 3 minutes and usually you will get a noticeable difference in about 2-3 weeks. Of course you can take the weekends off during that time.

LD wrote:
Sean, I'd feel more comfortable with the massage undereye. Like I said the mitts and other methods seemed to make it more creepy? It might be a temporary thing but it scared me. I have Ageless but it there a certain way to massage the undereye area without creating damage? Thanks for all your info!! LD

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I think massage thickens the skin faster and with less iritation (and your less likely to burst capillaries with massage).

This is a great insight Smile, and has been my experience, too. I suspect that since massage can affect deeper layers of the skin and tissue, that results in an even greater effect. I now focus more on massage than dry skin brushing to increase circulation, but I still do them both.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all! I've been lurking for a while on these forums and finally decided to join based on my great results with dry brushing my face. Originally I stumbled upon EDS when googling how to improve my circulation (I quit smoking two months ago and really wanted to fast-track that "feeling really great about my body" sensation rather than that "I'll kill someone if I don't get nicotine rather soon" feeling). Now I've become obsessed with lymphatic drainage and can't wait to start the Tanaka massage (if I can ever get done reading the threads - 2 hours now and counting).

Anyhoo ... the BEST unexpected result from the facial brushing has been: NO MORE ACNE. I started a new acne regime about a year ago (I'm nearly 29 now and had tried just about every prescription on the market, and my dermatologist actually had the NERVE - and I say nerve because I wanted to punch him in the face - that some people just have acne "forever" and I should get used to it) and my acne has improved substantially ... however, leading up to my menstrual cycle I consistently have a hormonally induced medium-sized breakout. It's usually the first sign that I'm going to have my period soon.

Since beginning the facial brushing I have had a reprieve from 2 cycles of breakouts. And no, I don't really attribute this result to mere exfoliation because I had been exfoliating regularly ... rather, I think it has more to do with the skin being able to "breathe" better. It was mentioned in another topic that dry brushing helps eliminate toxins and I can't help thinking that, before the dry brushing, toxins were trying to get through the skin but for whatever reason (dry skin, poor circulation, lymphatic stoppage, etc) they were unable to be completely eliminated, therefore clogging up a pore and creating a pimple. I mean, I'm not an expert or anything, but this is just my take on it. And I am THRILLED.

I hope you have as much luck with dry brushing as I have!
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Sean, for massaging the under-eye area....do you recommend just using two finger tips (pointer & middle) and do small, light circles under the eye? I will definitely incorporate facial massaging and maybe dry-brush every other day. Really hoping this can thicken my skin, as I think my skin is WAY too thin.
LD
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Sean, and everyone else with such great info so willing to share. Thank you. I reread LuLu's chapter on the massage and she suggests for the eye area to pinch a piece and then pinch a little harder 3 times. This just seems so harsh on my thin skin. The rest of my face has thick, pretty firm skin but it totally changes once I get past the orbital bone. Paper thin. Has everyone had good luck with this technique? Can it possibly stretch the skin and make it look worse? Just cautious. LD
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
LD that sounds a lot like my skin. It doesn't look horribly thin, except for around my eyes... the skin is like completely different under my eyes, it also seems whiter. Pinching seems like it would be too harsh, but maybe not.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 am      Reply with quote
EC413 - I'd say use whatever fingers you find comfortable. For me, I use the FlexEffect technique of pinching skin and rolling the tissue between the two fingers, but pinching in itself will have an effect. You can also use the massage technique as you describe, of making little circular movements. Some people like to circle their eyes with their 2nd finger (wedding ring one). The most important thing I think is to do it - any form will have a result.

Now LD with your thin skin, remember your skin is thin because it hasn't had any stimulation or cause to thicken it, so the techniques your going to use will seem harsh, but if you want thicken skin you need to incorporate a technique that will do this, otherwise your going to have to put up with trying out skin remodelling agents and even then, you might get harsh results. So I would suggest you keep an open mind and just try out these methods for 2 weeks and see the results this produces (and your unlikely to cause prolonged damage to your skin in this time unless there is a major health concern or immune deficiency or challenge).

When I have clients who are weary of massage like this, I often have them go away and practice on the back of their hands, as this technique works there too - but it takes a little longer (because there are no glands etc). But within a very short space of time, they see the results and then they are prepared to go after their eyes etc. So this might be something you want to try also.

Stretching the skin, well yes it does it a little (but your not stretching it beyond its limits, as the amount of pain you would experience would be too much to bear), but when your stretching it, your actually doing good things to this area, your not permanently stretching the skin. Your destressing it, your enabling the skin to be oxygenated and also improving the circulation to that area. Sometimes things do look worse before they look better, but you have to determine whether your able to stick to your ultimate goal of thickening the skin in that area and go through any awkwardness for that 2 weeks, or give up. Just as stretching is good for our body - for the muscles, connective tissue etc, its the same for our faces.

Sean

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi! Just discovered this thread!

I've been dry brushing my face for over 2mths and love it. My skin is looking nice and thick (my problem was thinned skin).

I started out with a wooden natural bristle brush but on advice of others who use the brush from the Clarisonic, I now use a similar brand (they just use the brush whereas I use the whole device).
The bristles on the Tre-Sonic are not natural but they feel softer than the natural brush so don't run from non-natural if you want soft. Also to mention dry brushing in conjunction with light derma rolling are a magical combination IMO!

I also use Retin-A (0.1%) bi-weekly although I haven't had irritation from it since using Hempseed oil, so dry-brushing with RA isn't an issue for me.

My method for brushing are the same movements as the Tanaka massage which is a lymph massage (but alas too strong for me to do with hands) - and I brush round my eyes. I've dried-brushed my lips for almost 20 years and just wished I'd done the rest (body and face!).

An interesting point for me re. skin thickening, a friend of mine (with thick body skin - no SM's or cellulite) had to stop waxing her legs after starting to dry-brush them as her hairs started ingrowing (after years of waxing). She stopped brushing and her ingrowing stopped. Obviously I began to dry brush my body every night after this (having both cellulite and SM's!) but never figured to do this to my face for fearing of it being too harsh. So glad I've realised it isn't as my face is loving it.
LD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Sean, I trust your advice and will give it a try. I did the massage last night and my hubby asked me later if I had been crying?! Giggle! I'll keep at it but I keep having the thought of inventing a little roller ball thingy, like the ones you can buy for your back, but teeny tiny. You can just sit and roll away your undereye wrinkles!!lol Any inventors out there? LD
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi LD,

If you're interested in buying a little eye roller, purchase Olay Regenerist's Anti-aging eye roller...it has 3 metal balls at the end of the applicator...if you didn't want to roll with the Olay product, you could dip it into your preferred serum.

I have one and it does feel good.

http://www.olay.com/boutique/regenerist/products/re1030

HTH,
Mary
LD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Mary, Thanks! Do you get results with their serum? Are the ball stimulating enough to actually massage? Can you refill the applicator with your own serum? TIA LD
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
The problem with using devices like such is that the body recognises that its not its own resources being used. Thats why massage is so great, because your using your body, and your fingertips pick up feedback that no device can, in recognising tender spots, soft spots etc, and also your not likely to go beyond the pain threshold if your using your fingertips. I also think there is an energy pass from the fingertips to the tissue. Its almost like the brain recognises that the area is being stimulated by its own body, so relaxes somewhat.

With massaging the eyes, because its so lymphatic, it can at first give an unattractive look. When I first began massaging my eyes, my diet was very good, but my eyes puffed up. Simply because my body wasn't sure of what was happening and so just took to protecting itself, but within a very short space of time, my body got used to it. Now I can massage very intensley without any adverse reactions whatsoever. It happens, but like anything new initially it can be scary, but if your serious about wanting to change that area, then you got to be willing to do the work, but its work that is rewarded at least.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
~LD~

I'm using JJ's product suggestions for the eyes right now but I do use the Olay in the morning above the eye sometimes...not long enough to say if it's had an effect...you can refill it...it unscrews from the bottom...I wasn't going to try it for fear I would break it but it was so easy to do.

It does feel good and you could get used to moving the undereye area with the roller first and then when you're comfortable with that, start using your fingers.

There was a $15 dollar coupon if you purchased two Olay products so that's one of the reasons that I purchased it...you might want to look for it if you do decide to purchase because I know it's still good yet.

Mary
System
Automatic Message
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Decleor Prolagene Lift, Lift & Firm Day Cream - Normal Skin (50 ml / 1.7 oz) Bremenn Clinical Strength Smooth Serum (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Payot Techni Liss First First Wrinkles Smoothing Care (50 ml / 1.6 floz)