Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dating in your 40s/50s and up
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I am in a relatively new relationship with a great guy and we are both late 40s....

Question -

Sometimes he refers to me as his girlfriend - that sounds odd to me...like we are too far along in life for that term.

Sometimes he calls me a lady. Whenever I think of a lady - I think of my grandmother with her sturdy pumps, apron, hairnets and corset and church friends.

I don't think I am a girl or a lady - I feel like a woman - so I call myself his womanfriend.

My nextdoor neighbor - was a widower in his late 70s - he dated women from his town and referred to them as "ladyfriends".

I wear jeans, long hair - and running shoes much of the time...

What would you call me or us ?

Do words have meaning here? I cannot bring myself to call him my boyfriends, I call him Ken...Ken my friend Smile

Anyone relate?

BF
talyta
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Lover ? Cool
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
well, yeah, that would raise a few eyebrows at family gatherings Wink
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Its a difficult one to solve, as he may be using the terms completely lovingly. Often times we all use phrases that can have a double meaning - like friend, mate etc which have a personal meaning that others don't often know about.

How do you refer to him? Its an interesting thought though isn't it. But I don't think anyone is too old to be called boyfriend/girlfriend though.

For example I have some women friends who would love the term "Lady" because they would equate it with someone who is very well presented, young - kind of like a young Audrey Hepburn looking sophisticated and stylish and all, not a grandmother with pumps, apron and hairnet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
How about the benign, politically correct "significant other"?

My neighbors are a couple in their mid-30's, living together (for years) with kids (not married) and they refer to each other as boyfriend and girlfried. I think the terms are still acceptable.

Sean makes a good point, what do you call him?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
My friend, Ken Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
My friend, Ken Smile

Well then, there you go. He can say, "my friend, BFG"! Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
How about better half (said with a smile), Paramour, gentlemen friend or said with humor "My best guy friend.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as you BFG, except I'm even older and dating the same guy for years. I just introduce him as "this is <insert name>". I never feel like I have to declare our status to anyone.

If you're living together you could introduce him as "my co-vivant" Very Happy.
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Girlfriend/boyfriend sounds fine to me. You could be 90, and it would work. I am not at all fond of "significant other" or "SO" and terms like "roommate," "lover," and even "friend" (when you are clearly more than just friends) are just a mite too coy for me. By the same token, it bothers me when straight women refer to their female friends as "girlfriends." (Yes, I am pretty picky.)

I was at a party once when a man introduced another man as his partner. My husband asked "what kind of business are you in?" I just wanted to disappear
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
well, yeah, that would raise a few eyebrows at family gatherings Wink

Quote:
I was at a party once when a man introduced another man as his partner. My husband asked "what kind of business are you in?" I just wanted to disappear

I am cracking up at these 2 comments! Laughing

BFG - Yes, my family would probably have similarly raised eyebrows! Wink

Hermosa - How utterly embarrassing! Embarassed Laughing

Over here, I've often heard people who are not in the first blush of youth referring to their partners as "the mister" or "the missus" in a gentle, joking kind of way.

You could also say, "my other half". Or is that more applicable to married couples only?
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
call him your 'date' perhaps? It implies that you're more than friends but keeps it casual enough that you won't get uncomfortable.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
How about ...This is my guy Jonathon - or whatever his name is.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer boyfriend/girlfriend because it implies you are more than friends and probably having sex. A lot of people use "partner" these days, gay or straight, and I always assume they mean business partner. It's such a cold term to me. I'd rather just get married because everything sorts itself out automatically! Laughing
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I am not a fan of using the term "boyfriend or girlfriend" either when two people are dating and they're both past the age of 40. As you get older this just seems so juvenile for some reason.

Whenever my older friend (age 61) refers to the guy in her new romantic relationship (and this is when we are taking about the fella when he isn't around - lol) she always references him as her "Beau" - and I like that because it's clear to me that he is more than a "friend". As for one-on-one introductions with people she knows, my friend will often use the art of body language to convey the status of her relationship. Instead of verbally announcing the guy as her boyfriend she tends to set it up that she is holding his left hand as she makes the rounds of a room and then uses his first name only during the introduction. As far as she is concerned there is no need to preface the introduction with "meet my boyfriend...". If people can't figure out that they are a couple then they must be a bit dense (is her attitude - ha, ha!).

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |