Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with breakouts on upper thighs -- any ideas welcome!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have been losing a lot of weight and I am almost to the point where I will be willing to wear a normal bathing suit -- without a little skirt attached to hide my upper thighs. I have a simple problem, though. I get breakouts from my shaving because my skin is sensitive. Then, afterwards, I am left with little red marks because I am so fair. I have found coconut oil as a moisturizer helps stop the breakouts a bit but I'd love for some other ideas.

I would just love to stop this shaving/breakout cycle. Would waxing my upper thigh area be better for my skin? I have never tried it.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Can you use a cream hair remover like Nair. The skin is initially irritated a little bit but (with me) by the next day is smooth and the hair doesn't grow back (on the thighs) for quite a while.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've never tried Nair. I can look into it to see. Thanks for the idea!
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have very sensitive skin that often breaks out from shaving. I used TendSkin, and it really helped. I haven't tried this, but Kassy posted a homemade recipe of TendSkin that she found.

Homemade TendSkin Recipe:
Ingredients:
½ cup rubbing alcohol (70% kind)
1 teaspoon witch hazel
20 uncoated aspirin

Instructions:
Throw everything together in a clean bottle and shake well before each use. The end!

HTH
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Are you talking about the thighs themselves, or your bikini area? If it's the latter, I strongly recommend using an electric trimmer that shaves very close to the skin but not quite skin-level. I too get breakouts from shaving or waxing my bikini area, which come from the sharp coarse hairs poking at the skin as they surface. But if you use a trimmer and just do it regularly, it really helps and isn't noticeably hairy-looking (at least not on me). I also powder the area before using a trimmer to make it go more smoothly.

Good luck, & my apologies if I misunderstood!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks,everyone for the ideas! I will look into them all. I get breakouts mostly on the bikini area and the immediate upper thigh area (I shave all the way to the top because I swim 3-4 times a week).

Ginnielizz, what type of trimmer do you use? I have a small one that I use for cutting my boys' hair, is that what you mean? How do you keep it from getting TOO close to your skin?
health2u
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 am      Reply with quote
ellyp wrote:
Thanks,everyone for the ideas! I will look into them all. I get breakouts mostly on the bikini area and the immediate upper thigh area (I shave all the way to the top)

I think I stopped getting skin/bikini rashes and razor bumps when I started using the Gillette Fusion Razor. It has an aloe vera strip at the top of the blade head that makes shaving much easier.

You might also have good results if you try using a good pre-shave oil. I haven't needed that, but
Pacific Shaving makes a shaving oil for men and women, and The Gentlemen's Refinery sells an all natural pre-shave oil. (you can purchase both at www.luckyscent.com)

hth
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I get serious ingrown hair anywhere I shave. I suggest waxing...it's worked wonders for me. It's been a year and my underarm hair has practically stopped growing...I had to cancel my usual 4 week clean up because there's just nothing there!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:04 am      Reply with quote
I've used several different types of trimmers -- some are made for women and some for men's beards. But beard trimmers usually have a really short setting that allows you to shave just above the skin without actually shaving all the way down. (And the powdering thing really helps -- I use Silky Underwear by LUSH but I think it's discontinued now so I'll switch to something else soon.) Even waxing never worked for me, plus it was just too expensive and inconvenient for my taste, so this is the best solution for me. Good luck!

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |