Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Muscular Calves!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
All right, so I would love to get some advice on how to reduce bulky, overly muscular calves. And please, don't try to convince me that its an attractive look. I am on the slim side, 5'4" and between 110-115lbs, and the circumference of my calves is about 14.5", which I feel is really out of proportion with the rest of my body. I feel that I can't even wear skirts because my legs are so bulky and unfeminine, and don't get me started with high heels.

I understand that in Asia, there are various plastic surgery techniques that address this issue, including injecting massive Botox to paralyze & atrophy the muscle, severing the nerve that works the calf muscle, and even excising some portion of the calf muscle. However, I wonder if there is some sort of less invasive technique that I could do at home, perhaps akin to the Tanaka massage for the face.

I've tried rolling the calf muscle out with a rolling pin and just trying to massage away & soften up the muscle with my hands, but my legs are still huge. The only thing that seems to work to some degree is using compression stockings, which seems to make my legs in my about 1/2", though that effect is gone when I take the stockings off.

Any advice out there? Thanks!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'd kind of like to see a picture... 'cause I'm just barely 5'5" and my calves measure 14.5" (I pulled a tape to see) And I would consider mine actually under developed for me. Are you longer in the body than legs? As I'm carrying more weight than I'd care to admit. But on my thinnest day at 103 as a ballet dancer (back in the day), They'd be AT LEAST a 1/2" thicker... And look totally slim. And even at my heaviest, I get compliments on my legs all the time... Even from women. At the same time, I feel my legs match my body type...

Do you feel that the thickness of your legs makes them look short? Or that the shortness, makes them look thick?

Are they defined? Do you have a horse shoe? Or is just the whole leg beneath the knee thick. You mention the idea of massage... do your legs look as though they retain fluid? Massage, especially lymphatic in nature could help that. If it's just muscle... I doubt that massage will reshape the muscle.

Having had a seriously atrophied calf from 8 weeks of casting (broken bone) I can tell you that it's the most uncomfy thing I've experienced. And they come back with regular activity. And although I wouldn't consider my leg "paralyzed" by that, the weakness made tons of activities incredibly difficult. Just walking stairs was a drag. And Heels... couldn't wear anything above an inch (which also had to do with the the loss of flexibility in my ankle)

I've seen the botoxed calves. Is that the look you're going for? I can tell you that I've lost some of the muscularity in my calves with fat increase...(post babies, and lack of regular workouts) not exactly something I'd choose to do. I can tell you that in many fitness circles they would refer to that look as a "flabby skinny". Which would infer the need to increase your fat to mass ratio. (not sure that's healthy... but perhaps there you go.)

I would perhaps alternatively consider lowering the body fat % and working on cutting the calf muscle. Things like yoga, pilates, ballet. But not heavy weight lifting. So it's more sleek than bulky... (if possible)

What do you do for working out???

I'm quite curious to hear other suggestions. I have friends that would give anything to reduce the size of their calves. Amazing how they are the bain of many existences... and for absolutely opposite reasons all the way around.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Claudia!

Thanks for responding-- and taking me seriously! I think that I am slightly long-waisted, but nothing too out of proportion. However, I do feel that the muscularity in my calves makes my legs look shorter and, for lack of a better word, "elegant". In higher heels my calves look like sequoias. I'll try to get a picture posted sometime soon.

I don't have a lot of extra weight. Although I don't do much formal exercise, I do quite a bit of walking (running!) and heavy lifting with my 2 young kids, and carry my 2 year old pretty much everywhere. I'm quite strong. Every so often I try to do some rebounding, stretching, & yoga. I avoid running like the plague, since even after a few sessions I manage to add an extra 1/2" up to a whole inch! I've tried stretching out my calf muscles to make them look longer, but if doing stretch can help, then I'm not doing the right kind of stretches.

Are there lymphatic massages that can help?

Okay, so to give you an idea how muscular my calves are, I remember one time I went running (when I used to run on a regular basis) and some guy approached me & asked whether I'd be interested in joining this women's wrestling league that he was forming. He said that my muscular calves would make me a good contender. (Eeek!)

ClaudiaFE wrote:
Are they defined? Do you have a horse shoe?
I would say that my calves are pretty defined. But what is a horse shoe?

I don't know, maybe I am being a little neurotic. I'll post a picture soon.

Thanks again!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Well... first of all I think we're all a little nerotic... or we wouldn't be in this forum...LOL!

Sorry, this pic is so "men's car magazine."... But see the bump on her calf? That's a horse Shoe. This is my favorite look for a woman's calf muscle. Slender and strong, sexy... OPINION obviously!

http://www.answerfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/Amanda_Carrier_Fitness_Model_Boxing.jpg

Now, this is a VERY WELL defined calf muscle, and I would say "manly", and I generally have only seen this type of calf on men... and then female body builders... an extreme, she's goaling for... I don't think I've ever seen this "naturally" occurring... just walking around.

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/pics/calf-muscle-exercises.jpg

I think it's worth understanding the anatomy of the muscles there... You can understand how that split is developed..

http://content.revolutionhealth.com/contentimages/nr55552004.jpg

Let's see a picture...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:
I do quite a bit of walking (running!)

I think if one is prone to thicker looking calves, those exercises will make it happen. My mother had big calves and she was a major walker; many miles a day. She used to attribute her big calves to that. Not sure what you really can do about it, as I tend to think it is genetic. Possibly something like Lotte Berk or Pilates that help achieve that "elongated" look may help.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:58 am      Reply with quote
I have a great antidote to your 'depression' of thick calves....I will take a photo of my skinny non-existant calves! They are horrible and have been the bane of my life since childhood.

I am 5ft 7 and my calves are 12 inches. And I've done weight-training for almost 20 years!
And the worse thing is my thighs are a normal size - I wouldn't mind if they were skinny as well but they're not!!! Carrot legs!!

I think there's some things exercise can't change and your calves are one of them Sad

Having said that, what about the 'downward dog' yoga position for lengthening calves? But thinking about it, Madonna has large calves and she's never managed to slim them down. If there was something you could do, I'm sure she would have done it.

Right, I'm arguing with myself now, this is a very emotive topic for me Laughing
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Well, I feel like I shouldn't quite just yet give up on my quest for slimmer calves... one thing that I've learned on the EDS forums is that it *is* possible to change & improve your appearance through natural means!

(Like I still really can't believe that my NL's are gone, which I attribute to some combination of FE, Tanaka, & diet. They are gone, really gone, no filler for me!) There *must* be something I can do about these bulky muscles, just as there was something for the NL's!

Claudia, that first picture was just too funny! I feel that my legs fall somewhere between the first & second picture-- though nowhere near as defined as the second. I need hubby to take a picture & upload for me. (But we're currently having *ahem* a spat. Rolling Eyes We'll resolve it soon!)
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:04 am      Reply with quote
JLM... I can hardly wait... something tells me... MY opinion is going to be that you have AWESOME legs!

Get that pic!!!

Miranda... Ok... I KNOW you've been working out for 20 years. I've seen calves be very difficult for people to build. Obviously, the thickness of the muscle naturally is effected by DNA...

What is it that you do for your workouts? What is your entire leg, including glute routine???
What is your overall muscle tone look like? And do you happen to know your body fat %%???

Best!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 158 cm, 48 kilo, body fat 13%, but my thighs are big no matter what I have tried. The only exercise that does work is running. I have searched all over for 10+ years, and know that thighs are the most difficult part to slim. I finally sign-up an expensive contract with a spa who guarantee can reduce my fat thighs, I have tried 5 treaments, do not see much difference.

There are actually some exercises focus on calves (but has to determine if yours are muscle or fat), e.g. standing with toes, 10 reps. Or take a look at Callanetics, I tried once but soooo difficult.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Take a look:

http://www.calfreduction.net/content/reduce-calf-size:-4-easy-things-you-can-do-get-beauty-sexy-legs
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
I bet no one can beat my calf size. I've got 20" calves. It's absolutely depressing sometimes because I don't think I'm out of shape, I'm pretty sure it's not fat because my calves are *solid*. I'm not a body builder, and all that. I exercise only 2-3x a week. I CANNOT wear skirts because I look like I have huge stumps for legs, and sometimes I can't even fit leggings because the calf is too tight.. and I won't even go into not being able to find boots!

I honestly really think our calf size is genetically determined somehow. I've gone though massive weight loss, and my calves do not change size (though getting much more solid and muscular rather than flabby and not toned)
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Man... I learn so much on this site. I hate to hear that anyone is so depressed about their body. Although I can relate, as I have a trashed stomach from twin PG... that I doubt will ever look normal again. Short of Surg.

I do think, REGARDLESS of our realities here.. it is Amazingly worth it to work with a clothing "expert" to learn how to dress our perceived flaws... ILLUSION is half the battle...

Give yourselves a hug...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 am      Reply with quote
Honestly, I think it's more *frustrating* sometimes because I can't fit into things I want to wear because of my calves. I live out of flare-leg pants and yoga pants. Sad Or if I want to wear a nice evening dress, I HAVE to wear ankle-length ones. Feels very... not sexy. lol.

Oh ClaudiaFE: I looked at the photos you linked. My calves look like that first girl, where you can definitely see the muscle bump out.... lol. I guess I am stuck with my GIANT legs.

Edit: Claudia, what do you mean by "trashed stomach"? Is it the skin there? I have to say give the copper peptide body lotion a try... it's sold here on EDS by SkinBiology. Like I mentioned above, I went through massive weight loss (close to 40lbs) and used that stuff to keep my skin from being slack and wrinkly as you often see with people who have a lot of weight loss.
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Oh maiea, I so *totally* know what you mean about some clothes not fitting well in the calf area! Sometimes I end up sweating and on the floor trying to zip up a pair of boots! Or the furthest I get into trying on a pair of jeans is my ankle! Laughing And I've been sticking to wearing pants when I have to dress-up.

Though I feel that my calves are very solid, I think that I might be retaining some fluid as well, since compression stockings seem to reduce their circumference somewhat. (When I *have* to wear a skirt, I wear these, although they are so yucky & old lady looking!) Also, though I said that my calves were about 14.5", they're probably closer to 15" by the end of the day, perhaps from being on my feet?

Dear critic, does Ms. Tanaka say anything in her body book about this area? Thanks for the link to the website-- I have seen it before, but I'm a bit leery of some of their recommendations-- because I don't think that they actually work. I've done almost everything that's recommended on that site on a consistent basis for one period of time or another, and there hasn't been any significant changes. (I also don't agree that a low-protein diet would help much in spot-reducing the calf muscle, as they state.)

Is the idea that one can reduce their calves naturally completely hopeless? If that's the case, I think I will seriously consider the PS route. I'm traveling to Hong Kong this summer, and perhaps I'll get some sort of calf reduction done. Anyone have any ideas/ recommendations on this?

Miranda, what I wouldn't give for a pair of slim, elegant, 12" circumference calves that probably look wonderful in tottering heels! (Not that I get much of the chance to wear things like that anymore... Very Happy)

(BTW Claudia, is it loose skin on your tummy that you're having issues with? Have you checked out the dermarolling for stretchmarks thread? Might be worth checking out...)
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:39 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

Miranda... Ok... I KNOW you've been working out for 20 years. I've seen calves be very difficult for people to build. Obviously, the thickness of the muscle naturally is effected by DNA...

What is it that you do for your workouts? What is your entire leg, including glute routine???
What is your overall muscle tone look like? And do you happen to know your body fat %%???

Best!!!

I don't wish to kidnap this thread to moan about my opposite problem - but I promise it's just as disheartening to have the problem of rounded thighs and chicken legs. When I wear a skirt, it looks like I have two pieces of thread hanging out. And all boots look like wellies on me - even the sock boots hang down.

Claudia, I began my weight training in a proper 'blood & sweat' body builder gym where the guys taught me how to train. At my peak I was using the leg press to calf raise 150kgs (330lbs) which was 3 x my body weight. I've used seated and standing calf weight machines, done Step, stairmaster, running, body balance, I've been a good weather cyclist all my life and I now do yoga - always with weight-training as a sideline. My calves never got larger - although my thighs can shrink alittle but then that also plays havoc with my bust and facial fat. I know body builders if cursed with underdeveloped calves have to resort to implants so I've resigned myself to this one area being unworkable.
In summer I keep my thighs reasonably shaped although since having children my waist-line has become more of a focus exercise-wise (actually thinking about pregnancy, even when my weight went up by 49lbs both times, my calves were still skinny Rolling Eyes

Someone should invent a calf equivalent of Spanx AND Wonderbra to placate us all!
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:

At my peak I was using the leg press to calf raise 150kgs (330lbs) which was 3 x my body weight.

Wow Miranda, you're like an ant! Very Happy

Your post got me to thinking about the muscular fiber composition in our calves, that is, between the so-called "fast-twitch" and "slow-twitch" fibers. If I remember correctly, the fast-twitch muscle fibers are the bulkier ones that are engaged during quick bursts of speed, while the slow-twitch fibers are more compact and engaged during long, endurance-type activities.

While everyone has a particular, genetically predetermined proportion of fast/slow twitch fibers, (for example, I probably have a higher proportion of fast twitch muscle fibers overall, while you Miranda, probably have a higher proportion of slow twitch fibers) I wonder to what degree we could reshape, increase or decrease the size of our calves by the type of exercise or activity we engage in.

If this theory holds, then it would make sense that in order to bulk up calves, you'd want to do things like explosive movements like jumping around; to reduce calves, I suppose it would be things like walking?? (Or perhaps atrophy? Now there's something that wouldn't engage any of the muscle fibers!! Just kidding! Very Happy Then again, perhaps that's really not such a bad idea!)
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:15 am      Reply with quote
This is definitely not a "magic" solution but long-distance running has REALLY helped!

Even though I was normal weight, my calves would be too "thick" for the rest of my legs and I didn't like them much.

Doing long distance running helped in 2 ways:

a. Dimished whatever fat I had and thus decreased the size (long-distance runners are very lean and they don't develop those "bulky" muscles)

b. Shaped them in a non-bulky way (as opposed to when I did weights)

Just be careful with anything that gives you muscle atrophy. The calf muscles are like a second "heart" that pumps blood up to the heart. If you get rid of that, your leg circulation will deteriorate and you can end up with chunky ankles and chunky legs from liquid retention!
Josee

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Flannery
5% products discount

Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I am so relieved to hear that someone else has this problem: heavy calves! Mine look like Iīve spent summers stomping grapes in the big wine vats. (For those of you of a certain age- you may remember an I Love Lucy Laughing I sortof agree that the quick bursts of energy needed for short sprints make the calf muscles more conspicuous or pumped up, so I avoid that.
In my case, I am loathe to wear absolutely flat shoes and sandals in the summer- and yet, according to the site critic posted, high heels are also a culprit! what a drag!

To date: the most helpful ideas are nightly stretching, massage- and I use a "slimming" lotion from Nivea or something like that. I think legs that are tanned look slimmer, so when I do wear a skirt, I spray paint them with some sort of body makeup (only in the summer of course). I donīt like the look of pale legs- even if I do try to keep my face out of the sun. It covers the veins a bit too- which are becoming an increasing problem. Oh the joys of getting older! Rolling Eyes

Will be following this post with interest!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Sean was so kind to forward me this link for "Awesome Legs!" Though it focuses on the thigh area, I thought it might be interesting for people to take a look at.

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/legs/index.html
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
LOL Awesome Legs is part of the T-tapp system (and an excellent exercise for cellulite also), but although it might appear to focus on the thighs (and it certainly will impact them) your engaging the whole leg area and as such your be stimulating the lymph (particularly with pointing feet, bending feet) and your engage the whole leg area. Models use it often to debulk their legs before photo shoots.

I explained to JLM, although I know muscles, body muscles are very different from the face, and as the work on legs and body has already been done for me - I've just always felt its best to point people to T-tapp as it really has all the answers (and its a great system that I still use!).
JLM wrote:
Sean was so kind to forward me this link for "Awesome Legs!" Though it focuses on the thigh area, I thought it might be interesting for people to take a look at.

http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/legs/index.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Some information if anybody's considering surgery for their calves.

http://www.lrclinic.com.tw/contentbypermalink/c86073d8f3c8fb57482571da003467f5

Honestly, i think i'll just live with my calves. I can save the money i can't spend on boots for my face. Laughing
Flannery
5% products discount

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
gosh.. I think a lot of those legs looked far prettier before the surgery! Guess itīs in the eye of the beholder!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I had to stop in the middle of reading to measure my calves - 13". I am 5'8" and I'd like to have bigger calves. Calves are the hardest muscle to make bigger or smaller. I've increased the size and shape of mine slightly by doing calf raises holding a pair of 8 lbs. dumbbells. I could go heavier to try to increase the muscle.

I've been reading about Classical Stretch which supposedly slims you all over. It's on some PBS stations and there are DVDs.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Flannery wrote:
gosh.. I think a lot of those legs looked far prettier before the surgery! Guess itīs in the eye of the beholder!

Yeah i thought so too!
JLM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:48 am      Reply with quote
As this is my latest obsession, I found some links that address how to reduce muscular calves:

On the PurseForum:

http://forum.purseblog.com/health-and-fitness/how-can-i-make-my-calves-smaller-25720-33.html

This one mostly talks about experiences with PS, that is, selective neurectomy of the calf muscle performed by the apparently renown calf reduction specialist in Asia, Dr. Park of the OZ Clinic in Seoul Korea.

And Dr. Park's website itself, addressing calf reduction:

http://drpark.co.kr/eng/med04.htm

Interestingly, he has very specific guidelines on the attributes of a proportioned calf: that the circumference measures 20% of height, and length 22% of height.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinÂŪ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |