Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Muscular Calves!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:04 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:

Interestingly, he has very specific guidelines on the attributes of a proportioned calf: that the circumference measures 20% of height, and length 22% of height.

Bummer....my calves are 3.5cm too thin for my height (almost 1 1/2 inches). I knew they were skinny but now it's been mathematically confirmed!!
lipper
5% products discount

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:27 am      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:

And Dr. Park's website itself, addressing calf reduction:

http://drpark.co.kr/eng/med04.htm

Interestingly, he has very specific guidelines on the attributes of a proportioned calf: that the circumference measures 20% of height, and length 22% of height.

I have to say this whole thread makes me very uncomfortable. Reducing the size of muscle through surgery/botox? Wanting your muscle to atrophy? This sounds really old-world back to the days where it was preferable for women to be weak and helpless. I think you should celebrate being strong and healthy. And I think the "after" picture in this website is so very sad. Atrophied calves are not attractive in the slightest.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Well... firstly we're not all complaining about large calves.
Secondly, if strong muscles were something to only celebrate, we'd all be proud of frown lines / 11's (caused by muscle strength hence the use of botox to atrophy them).

Yes of course women shouldn't beat themselves up over hairy legs & armpits, greys, winkles, spots, stretchmarks, cellulite, facial hair and unshapely legs BUT this website wouldn't be such a popular one if we didn't feel like we've evolved during 30,000-odd years from being cavewomen.

Sorry Lipper but I think you completely miss the point of this thread. We're just having a moan.
lipper
5% products discount

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think I completely missed the point of the thread. I just don't see how muscular calves can be considered unattractive. I think in the link that was posted, the before picture is much more attractive. The after picture looks like chicken legs to me. Ideally when the knees are touching, the center of the calves should touch. Now they just look shapeless. But if people think that looks good, then go for it. That's just my opinion.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:48 am      Reply with quote
lipper wrote:
I don't think I completely missed the point of the thread.

Well you certainly seem to have missed a number of posts on this thread from people such as myself (with shapeless chicken legs - gee thanks) who would love to have bigger calves.
Basically we're never happy with what we've got but please don't condescend those with unhappiness over large calve size, harking back to days 'where it was preferable for women to be weak and helpless" (which isn't even true; a well-built strong women was far more preferable for the masses in past times; a thin woman being attractive is a recent phenomenon).
lipper
5% products discount

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:17 am      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
lipper wrote:
I don't think I completely missed the point of the thread.

Well you certainly seem to have missed a number of posts on this thread from people such as myself (with shapeless chicken legs - gee thanks) who would love to have bigger calves.
Basically we're never happy with what we've got but please don't condescend those with unhappiness over large calve size, harking back to days 'where it was preferable for women to be weak and helpless" (which isn't even true; a well-built strong women was far more preferable for the masses in past times; a thin woman being attractive is a recent phenomenon).

Wow I really don't understand why you are so upset with me. I really think it is YOU who have missed my point.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Darling believe me, I'm not upset. Very Happy

I just don't understand why you think you're right in insulting the posters here and refuse to take on board that you're wrong to do so.

Obviously you like to have the last word, go ahead but you're boring me now. I won't bother to read it. Cool
lipper
5% products discount

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
It's a shame that you won't bother to read it, because then you won't know that I had no intention of offending anyone, and that I am truly sorry if I have. I was merely stating my personal opinion that it's unfortunate if people feel they need to go to great lengths to surgically remove what I believe to be an attractive trait. And for the record, I am 5'6 and my calves are 12 inches, and I wish they were bigger. Confused
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am a smidge over 5'3" and my calves a tad over 12" ... Never minded them as long as they had muscle tone and shape.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Wow... who knew that boobs and calves had so much in common!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I have big calves too! I hike a lot in the summer and ski/snowboard in winter. They didn't bother me until I gained a few pounds, now they are big muscle plus fat!

The look of them doesnt bother me really, its just that zipping up boots can be an impossible feat Smile

I say just embrace them!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I actually had to measure my calves after this thread.

I always thought my calves were ok, not too big or too small.

I'm 5"5 and right now my calves re 12" and they go to 13" if I do a lot of sport.

I used to compete in trampoline, and was almost competing in inline skating and found my calves were a bit more muscled then.

I think if you want bigger calves (am i spelling this right?) you could maybe try bouncing on one of those mini trampolines those fitness stores sell.

If that does not work, at least it is still good exercise.

I think at least you are able to walk, some people are in wheelchairs and can not walk even.

This lady neighbor of mine, she was not able to walk. She had some sort of medical condition where she seemed to gain all the weight on her upper body, but her legs were stick thin.
This lady she must have weighed 300 pounds and could not stand up because her legs had no muscle at all.

I do not know what condition this lady had as I did not want to bug her by asking that.
I do know the lady was diabetic though, and she passed away around a month ago Sad

I don't think anyone is entirely hppy with their apperance- even Megan Fox says a lot of things negative about her looks.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Ok.. totally OT BUT... I SOOOOOOO want a trampoline in my backyard. I LOVED that thing when I was kid. I love workouts that are fun, that you don't even notice are a workout...

5% products discount

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting that some people say running makes their calves slimmer. Mine get bigger. I ran 3 miles about 6 hours ago, and they're still 13 inches, a full inch more than normal. By tomorrow, they'll be back to 12 inches.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
All the blood flow to the area! I work my calves on a machine or three and I can't say they've built much - just more shape and definition. Probably genetic.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Ok.. totally OT BUT... I SOOOOOOO want a trampoline in my backyard. I LOVED that thing when I was kid. I love workouts that are fun, that you don't even notice are a workout...

I love tramps too! I remember our neighbors used to make our parents sign a waiver to let us use theirs Laughing I do think they are much safer now with the side walls.

Fun workouts are the best. If it's raining and I have to break out a DVD, I always go for my Hula or Zumba dance workouts because they make me smile Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:00 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I know Costco used to sell them.
But if u do get one I really reccomend you take at least a introductory class at a gym.

Most people they do not know how to stop properly, and jump out of control and then often lock their knees that send them flying right off.

And you should always cover the springs as I have seen people get caught in those and it could hurt depending.

I've also seen experienced people fly off and fall in the gym and dislocate knees or arms,

so really you need to learn the basic things.

I actually used to work for a trampoline rental company.

The trampoline i had in my back yard had a tarp for the bouncy part, and those are not as bouncy as the elastic beds.

and if u get a bad that is black or dark, like what we had...you can burn your feet in the summer!

oh, if you do not want all the bother of the equipment, many gyms offer "adult fitness" classes andmany of the people would be just regular people that came to do the basic tings for exercises!
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
snowymtn wrote:

The look of them doesnt bother me really, its just that zipping up boots can be an impossible feat Smile

I LOVE boots and have the opposite problem... they're always too wide for my skinny calves.

I read this thread before and had resisted the tape measure until now. Apparently my calves (at 17.8% of height) are not up to the required standard of perfection (20%). Well the esteemed Dr Park can kiss my butt, as I happen to think my skinny stick legs look pretty darn good...

My blubbery stomach is another matter entirely, although loose fitting/flared tops seem to camouflage that ... errr... i think Laughing
lipper
5% products discount

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm not even sure that formula is all that accurate, because it ignores other important factors like the width of your shoulders and hips which would certainly figure in the equation. Speaking of which I am off to the gym to run my calves back up to 13 inches!
maiea
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
JLM wrote:

Laughing My circumference is at 27.5% Ah well, my calves are my calves. They are HUGE (just like my thighs) but they're muscled, so that's not bad. Crazy variety of body types on here huh?
macropis
5% products discount

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I just read this thread.

I am 5'4", slim, with 14.5" calves and proud of it. I do calf raises in the gym and would not mind at all if they got a little bigger, though that is not my main goal. I'm also a dancer, and have come to realize how underappreciated the calves are in terms of movement and function.

I love to show off my legs with leggings, shorts, and short skirt, and think they are one of my best features.

I also admire a good substantial calf muscle in other women and men.Wink

The only downside, I suppose, is boot shopping, as I also love boots! I keep a measuring tape in my purse so I can quickly determine if a boot is a no-go in stores, and online I shop at places like zappos where they list the boot diameter.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
So funny this thread was revived today.

I was driving down the street, and this teeny tiny woman got out of her car, with the biggest calves I've ever seen... she had short legs... Was wearing a skirt... so she seemed fine with them. Regardless, I immediately remembered having this discussion!!! And wow... here is is again.

You know what else I HATE!!!!! I'm a 6.5 shoe. I can NEVER find a boot that zips over my calves. EVEN at their now muscle depleted (You guys wouldn't believe how sick I was last year... = no workouts!!!) I can wear a sloppy 7 and sort of work into most boots...

Hope all of you are well!

5% products discount

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
macropis wrote:
Wow, I just read this thread.

I am 5'4", slim, with 14.5" calves and proud of it. I do calf raises in the gym and would not mind at all if they got a little bigger, though that is not my main goal. I'm also a dancer, and have come to realize how underappreciated the calves are in terms of movement and function.

Have your calves increased since you started doing the calf raises? Can you tell me what your routine is, i.e. how much weight, how many reps, do you do it every other day? Because I would love to increase my calves but everything I have read says that calf raises don't really help, it's basically you are stuck with what you are born with. Do you think the calf raises make a difference or is it your dancing?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lipper,

I'm a former dancer too.

Calf raises will engage the muscle. And will define and cut the muscle that you have. If you're a dancer, and your up and down on your toes for an hour a half a day 5 days a week, then yeah, you'll gain some size but that's probably not in your ideal scheme of things.

If you want to increase the size, I strongly suggest an exercise called Donkey Calf Raises

Here's a good example of how to do them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHOudYjiB9A

People will often do them with a partner SITTING on their bumm. In the same spot the pad rests on this guy.

IT'S REALLY important you don't over do these at once, or allow the stretch too deep... I will NEVER forget when my poor mother did that... She was unable to put her heals down for about 3 days, and her calves were swollen almost 2x's their size...

HTHS

5% products discount

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
lipper wrote:

Have your calves increased since you started doing the calf raises? Can you tell me what your routine is, i.e. how much weight, how many reps, do you do it every other day? Because I would love to increase my calves but everything I have read says that calf raises don't really help, it's basically you are stuck with what you are born with. Do you think the calf raises make a difference or is it your dancing?

Hi lipper: It is hard to say, because I have been strength training on and off since I was 18.

I just do one legged calf raises off some kind of step, generally 3 sets X reps to failure (10-20) on each leg. I am mostly doing this to support general fitness and dancing, not to try to sculpt myself into a certain shape.

My personal philosophy is functional fitness, grace in motion, optimal carriage, and strength define beauty when it comes to the body, so when I am in the gym I am thinking about what my body can *do*, not what it looks like.

I really think that for the most part, a person's muscle shapes are determined genetically -- the tendency to have bulky vs. stringy muscles, the points of attachment to bones, percentages of varous fiber types -- all that varies from person to person, and how you exercise has only a very small affect on muscle shape and size.

RE: fast twitch vs. slow twitch -- the gastrocnemius is mostly fast-twitch muscle fibers, but that varies from person to person and training doesn't change the percentages, though different training schemes will differentially work the different muscle fibers. Plyometrics (for example, hopping and jumping) are often cited as good calf training exercises.

FWIW, I'm not a ballet dancer and do not share ballet dancerss aesthetic of beauty.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |