Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Kevin Murphy Session Hairspray
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Product:
Kevin Murphy Session Spray

Background on my hair:
(Please note that I'll be including this info with all my haircare product reviews so that it can be referenced individually with each review.) I think it's really important when reading haircare reviews to know exactly what kind of hair the reviewer has as this can be crucial in trying to decide whether the product might work for you.

My own hair is a nightmare. No exaggeration. It's frizzy, is curly/ringlets/waves/straight/kinky all at the same time, flyaway, very dry, damaged, coloured and highlighted to cover 2/3 grey. I wear it below shoulder length. Because of its condition, I only wash it 2 or 3 times a week - any more than that and it becomes even less manageable, drier and more damaged-looking. When I do wash my hair, I use a special Babyliss drier that dries using heat (with an electric hob-style element), rather than blowing. Even then, I use it for only around 30 seconds, leaving my hair to dry fully naturally. Anything else turns my hair into a ball of frizz.

Review:
My current usual hairspray is by Pantene. Whilst I would never usually touch Pantene products with a bargepole because of potential longterm damage, I find their flexible hold (aimed at curly hair) spray to be pretty good. I wasn't expecting to find anything better.

The Kevin Murphy spray comes in a slightly larger size (337ml) than my Pantene (300ml). Whilst both cylindrical containers are the same length, the KM one is chunkier. Not perfect for travelling, and it would be better if a smaller size was also available. The UK price is a whopping £15.45!

The blurb on the back states: "This aerosol provides a firm, weightless, lasting hold. It contains hydrolysed wheat proteins, natural fragrance oils, and a UV shield for colour protection. Form hold styling resins provide intense hold and memory with excellent resistance against high humidity, allowing brush ability with no flaky flaky."

What tempted me to try this product were the reviews on the Kevin Murphy store site. Comments included someone proclaiming it to be, "Probably the best I've found anywhere," and someone else praising it for cutting down on her hair becoming frizzy whilst walking her dogs in the damp British climate. Sounded good to me!

When I first used the spray, I found that I needed to use approximately half of the amount I'd normally use with my Pantene hairspray. Just as well at that price!

I can't comment on the fragrance. I didn't really notice it. Besides, I have asthma, so avoid breathing in hairspray at all costs and didn't want to risk smelling it.

My initial impression was that it performed as well as the Pantene - but no better, and that it, therefore, wasn't worth the cost. However, I decided to use the KM Session Spray exclusively for a full week, wondering whether the nice ingredients might take a little time to work on my hair, and also wanting to give it a full workout.

Then I started to notice that, unlike the Pantene, the KM spray left my hair looking the same at the end of the day as it was when I sprayed it first thing in the morning. Long-lasting - definitely a very good thing.

Next, I realised that my hair was behaving itself with more decorum than usual, and actually allowing me some pretty good hair days. Wow! I am not used to that at all!

Finally, today was a typically horrible rainy day - the kind of day when my hair would frizz up to give me that infamous "damp finger in an electric socket" look. But no! Not today, it didn't! Today, my hair looked exactly the same as it did this morning before I stepped outside the front door. Shock

Part of me was hoping that I wouldn't like this hairspray. I mean, £15.45!!!!! But I have to admit that it really is the best I have ever tried. Those reviewers on the KM site were right!

Much as I shall continue to moan about the cost, this is something I definitely WILL be re-purchasing. I'm now very much looking forward to trying more KM products.

Ingredients:
Hedera Helix (Ivy Leaf/Stem) Extract
Helps to seal in moisture, which prevents hair breakage and keeps hair looking healthy and shiny. Beneficial for treating and preventing dryness caused by overexposure to heat.

Hydrolysed Wheat Protein
A natural source of vitamin C, it creates a protective barrier against moisture loss and promotes shine.
havana8

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review, majorb. What sold me was your comment that "KM spray left my hair looking the same at the end of the day as it was when I sprayed it first thing in the morning" and on a rainy day no less! Shock Now that sounds like my kind of hairspray! Laughing I really hate what the damp and/or rainy weather does to my hair too. May I ask, is your hair fine and thick? or more coarse and thick? or? I am trying to figure out if this would work with my thick but fine hair. Also, does it easily wash out or are you finding there is a bit of buildup with daily use? TIA!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Agree - great review majorb - comprehensive. I appreciate that as it does help understand the value the product may have or not for your particular need. I too have difficult hair - thick, tendency to frizzy, puffy if given half a chance. I may have to seek out this spray and give it a go - expensive bugger though!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:19 am      Reply with quote
havana - Yes, the damp weather is a killer for frizz-prone hair. My own hair is fine (but becoming a little coarse as I grow more and more ancient). There doesn't seem to be a lot of it either.

The spray washes out very easily. I avoid brushing and combing it whilst dry because that's Disasterville for curly hair. However, I do gently run my fingers through it to style it when it's dry and get the feeling that it would probably be easy to brush out. Hope that helps.

sister sweets - Then this may well work brilliantly for you, too! I do hope so. Very Happy But yes, the price is a bit scary!
havana8

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've finally ordered this, majorb and will let you know how I get on with. (I just finished my can of David Babaii Mise en Plis Extra Hold Styling Spray.) I bet I love it!! Smile
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
I've finally ordered this, majorb and will let you know how I get on with. (I just finished my can of David Babaii Mise en Plis Extra Hold Styling Spray.) I bet I love it!! Smile

I've been wanting to order this..where did you get it from? I think eskincare dosen't list it
havana8

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
havana8 wrote:

I've been wanting to order this..where did you get it from? I think eskincare dosen't list it

I'll pm you. Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:

Yes, please! Would love to know what you think!

I've never heard of the David Babaii one. Please tell us more. I'll go and see if I can find it online.
havana8

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
So I think I have been using this spray for a month and half now and have to say that I have really taken a shine to it. Aside from the fact that it is probably one of the best smelling (for me) hairsprays that I have ever used, what I am most surprised about is that my hair looks even better the second day despite having slept in it. Shock I also like that the weight of the spray is such that I don't feel like I have to desperately wash it out the next day as I have with some sprays nor does it make my hair look dried out. Instead my hair just behaves admirably. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is hard to work with once your hair has been sprayed.... I am adjusting though!

All in all, I consider this a success for me. Thanks for the rec, majorB. Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:51 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
So I think I have been using this spray for a month and half now and have to say that I have really taken a shine to it. Aside from the fact that it is probably one of the best smelling (for me) hairsprays that I have ever used, what I am most surprised about is that my hair looks even better the second day despite having slept in it. Shock I also like that the weight of the spray is such that I don't feel like I have to desperately wash it out the next day as I have with some sprays nor does it make my hair look dried out. Instead my hair just behaves admirably. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is hard to work with once your hair has been sprayed.... I am adjusting though!

All in all, I consider this a success for me. Thanks for the rec, majorB. Very Happy

You're very welcome. I'm so glad you like it! Very Happy

Actually, the one thing I don't like about it is the scent! Laughing Mind you, I find it dissipates pretty quickly.

I never thought I'd ever rave about an expensive hairspray, but I still really do love this one.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 27, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add that this is the best hair spray I have ever used. It holds well, yet feels weightless, and does not change the texture of the hair.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 28, 2010 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Is any other Kevin Murphy stuff good?
I was looking at that brand a few weeks ago ona British website.

They have some promotion with his "waterless shampoo" or something.
I was somewhat interested in that,until I saw the price.

There is actually another waterless shampoo out there for many years at 1/3 the price Laughing

What is so bad about Pantene.
I like the ice shine line,spray conditioner sucks,Restoratives-did nothing for my hair.

I think some salon lines really suck too.

ISO curling spray, dris out my hair so bad I mixed it with conditoner spray in a bottle.

Tigi brunette conditioner sucks too, does not moisturize at all.
havana8

Fri May 28, 2010 11:11 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
havana8 wrote:

You're very welcome. I'm so glad you like it! Very Happy

Actually, the one thing I don't like about it is the scent! Laughing Mind you, I find it dissipates pretty quickly.

I never thought I'd ever rave about an expensive hairspray, but I still really do love this one.

That too funny about the smell, majorB! Laughing Scent can be a tricky thing.

Smoothskin, I'm glad you mentioned that about it not changing the texture of the hair as I have noted that too.

It's a great hairspray.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 29, 2010 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
Is any other Kevin Murphy stuff good?
I was looking at that brand a few weeks ago ona British website.

They have some promotion with his "waterless shampoo" or something.
I was somewhat interested in that,until I saw the price.

There is actually another waterless shampoo out there for many years at 1/3 the price Laughing

What is so bad about Pantene.
I like the ice shine line,spray conditioner sucks,Restoratives-did nothing for my hair.

I think some salon lines really suck too.

ISO curling spray, dris out my hair so bad I mixed it with conditoner spray in a bottle.

Tigi brunette conditioner sucks too, does not moisturize at all.

I've not had much luck with the other Kevin Murphy products I've tried (not tried the shampoos, though). The only one of his range that's worked for me so far has been this hairspray.

Like many other people, I've found that Pantene seems to work well at first, but ends up damaging my hair and making it much worse than before I used it.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |