Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
I started a blog!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
jadewoman

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Hey y'all, I got bored and started a blog. It was meant to be about aging and turning 60, but I got sidetracked into archaeology and stream of consciousness, so I don't know where it is going. If you are bored too, maybe you could take a peek and give me some feedback. Thanks, Kate

oh yeah, to find it, search for graniagrace at wordpress.
jadewoman

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Waaaaah! Hardly anybody is reading my blog. I need validation. Here's a sample:

Mirror, Mirror, What the *&%#+!?
By graniagrace
Or, “Hair today … Gone tomorrow”

Back to this aging business. I may have a slight advantage. Agatha Christie once remarked that it was good to be married to an archaeologist, because the older you got the more interested they became in you. I am not sure this applies in my situation, because Mr. GG does not pay attention to a lot of the girly aspects of my life. He has come to accept them, and after raising a daughter and a passel of female cats, he has an uncanny sense of when to ignore a lot of stuff. And I try not to whine about my appearance, and I never, Never, ask him if something makes me look fat, because, after all, he is a male and a trained scientist to boot, and he tells the truth.

After I hit 40, and things started downhill, I had a little time to acclimate. At first it was my eyes. I needed bifocals, and they don’t make contacts strong enough to counter my nearsightedness, so I had to start wearing glasses again. Oooookay. Then the gray started invading my glossy (cold water rinses, remember?) locks, but that is why god invented hair color. Meanwhile the ponderous forces of gravity and time were at work, thickening and broadening my body. Okay, okay, so the ponderous forces of laziness and inertia were also factors in this, and then I got slammed with Epstein Barr Virus (aka Yuppie Flu) which knocked me on my butt for a year or two. I emerged from this decade feeling like Jabba the Hut.

Faced with a body that seemed out of my control, I dealt with the stuff I could handle. Shoes. Eyeliner. Purses. And hair.

When I first met Mr. GG, I was living in the woods, no showers, no electricity, so in the interests of simplicity I had a perm. Mr. GG fell in love with a curly headed (i.e. not genuine) version of me. Perhaps because I was often dirty, sweaty and in field clothes, he thought he was getting the real deal. It’s kinda sweet how men can be so innocent about some stuff, isn’t it?

Every time I read a fashion magazine, I wish I could wear some of the bright, skimpy, fun outfits I see. But in real life, that would violate several rules of taste and decency. If spandex laws were enforced, I would be doing hard time.

That leaves me with hair to play around with. In some ways I am a stylists’s dream. Cause I am generally up for anything. My flat, limp, stringy hair is so awful, that nothing you can do to it makes it look worse. Just different.

Recently, before a cross-county trip which involved visiting relatives I hadn’t seen for a while, I came home with the back of my head whipped into a frenzy of reddish spikes. I figured I had some time to alert Mr. GG, but he was unexpectedly home for lunch, so he got the full effect without warning. He was drinking a soda, and cola spewed through his nose. And, okay, I was a little defensive, since this was really a NEW LOOK, even for me, and we had a lively exchange of opinions. When he stopped laughing and shaking his head, he said, “Well, I’ll have 2000 miles to get used to it. And it will grow out”.

Mr. GG so doesn’t get the female self esteem thing sometimes. Luckily my friends and family are a little better at it. So they said things like, “It’s cute”. Or, “Huh. I bet it’s easy to take care of”.

In my defense, I must tell you that a few weeks later, I was lunching with a friend at a trendy vegetarian restaurant, and when we met, we each said, “You’ve changed your hair!”. While we were hugging and waiting to be seated, this lovely, lovely goth boy, barely twenty if he was a day, and sporting a bleached blonde mohawk that got wound into some kinda bun at the back of his head, stopped to tell me he liked my hair. He then went on to advise me about products that would do a much better job of spackling those spikes away from my head.

Anyway, I’ve had to maintain this style for a few months, to prove something to Mr. GG. And I hope it isn’t that I am an idiot. Maybe I do it just so he won’t get complacent. Although, as he sometimes snorts, “As if!”. I got a new haircut this week, and I am letting the spikes grow out, and folks, it is not gonna be pretty. But hopefully it will distract from the crows feet, Horrid Age Spots, etc.

This is all part of personal growth. You know, the Serenity Prayer? The part that says, “Give me the courage to change the things I can”? Well, I’m still plugging away.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi jadewoman. I read most of your blog entries and really enjoyed them. I love your style of writing. I laughed a great deal but also shed a few tears while reading about your mother. I say stick to stream of consciousness and forget aging. I'm at the age where I want to focus my mind on something else. I think your archaeology adventures are just the ticket.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
jadewoman, I haven't seen your blog, but your sample post was hilarious and I enjoyed it very much! Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto what Rileygirl said!! Will check out your blog!

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
There is just so much I can relate to- and you just have to laugh at your own situation when you can- you know how to make us do that. I gotta check out your blog right now.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for posting - "aging honesty and humor" is another way to stay young. Thank you.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |