Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi - Increase Tretinoin Prescription?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ohlala

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi.

I'm doing Obagi by myself without the help of a dermatologist. Anyhow, this was my progression. As of Nov 21st, I used the Obagi kit with 0.01% Tretinoin. Then on Dec 6th, I increased the prescription of Tretinoin to 0.5%. I'm currently on 0.5% prescription strength and I'm still peeling, but I'm not as beet red anymore. I'm halfway done the 0.5% Tretinoin tube. I was wondering whether I should either 1) buy another 0.5% Treinoin tube OR 2) buy a 0.1% Tretinoin tube. Please help. Thanks. Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 am      Reply with quote
ohlala wrote:
Hi.

I'm doing Obagi by myself without the help of a dermatologist. Anyhow, this was my progression. As of Nov 21st, I used the Obagi kit with 0.01% Tretinoin. Then on Dec 6th, I increased the prescription of Tretinoin to 0.5%. I'm currently on 0.5% prescription strength and I'm still peeling, but I'm not as beet red anymore. I'm halfway done the 0.5% Tretinoin tube. I was wondering whether I should either 1) buy another 0.5% Treinoin tube OR 2) buy a 0.1% Tretinoin tube. Please help. Thanks. Very Happy

It is totally up to you. I think though if you are still peeling that I would stay with the 0.05. It has been shown to be as effect as the 0.1.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ohlala,
I started with 0.025% retin a when I began Obagi and eventually progressed to 0.05% which is where I still am today. I tried the 0.1 but it just seemed to be too irritating. I guess I was really tired of all the redness and flakiness!

I've also heard (as Rileygirl stated) that in the long-term, 0.05% is just as effective as the higher percent.

Just sharing my experience! Smile

Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much!
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
It is totally up to you. I think though if you are still peeling that I would stay with the 0.05. It has been shown to be as effect as the 0.1.

What is really the difference then, if it is just as effective. I have used the 0.1 right from the start (but mixed it with blender)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
Quote:

What is really the difference then, if it is just as effective. I have used the 0.1 right from the start (but mixed it with blender)

You may get better results in the first 6 months using the 0.1% Retin A. So if you can handle it, I would continue to use that. However, some people cannot handle the 0.1, which I believe could have been the reason for the studies. It has only been more recently that studies have shown the 0.05 to be as effective as the 0.1. Most of the studies, however, have a person using the 0.1% for the first 6 months, and then they have them drop down to the 0.05% after that, and continue. I think the longest running study was 4 years, most were 24 months for the longest.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
ok, yes, thats very interesting Rileygirl.
I'm curious to hear what my derm is saying, I'll be seeing him tomorrow as I'm done with my first 6 weeks on thursday (can't believe it!)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:23 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
I'm curious to hear what my derm is saying, I'll be seeing him tomorrow as I'm done with my first 6 weeks on thursday (can't believe it!)

1/3 of the way done, 2/3 to go!! Laughing
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
blueeyes wrote:

1/3 of the way done, 2/3 to go!! Laughing

So, I saw my derm today and she said that my skin should have been much better, the sunspots should have been totally gone (they are barely visible now) I had not used enough of the tretinoin cream and basically I was just bummed walking out of there... Crying or Very sad

I thought I had been doing so good...
She did however tell me to maybe just use the Clear only at daytime since the tret maybe didn't absorb so well because of it..
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
So, I saw my derm today and she said that my skin should have been much better, the sunspots should have been totally gone (they are barely visible now) I had not used enough of the tretinoin cream and basically I was just bummed walking out of there... Crying or Very sad

I thought I had been doing so good...
She did however tell me to maybe just use the Clear only at daytime since the tret maybe didn't absorb so well because of it..

Oh, no! Are you using the correct amount of the products, blueeyes?

I cannot imagine why she would tell you your sunspots should be totally gone? I believe removing your sunspots completely could take as long as 3 months. However, you do want to make sure you are using the correct amount of all the products and rubbing them in really well, which should take some effort to do, as 1 gram is not a small amount to apply.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
well, she said that I wasn't using enough tret, but I told her that since I had such a really bad reaction in the beginning I had called the office and they had told me to cut back for a while and then increase again, but also, that the cream should absorb totally in to the skin otherwise it would irritate.. with me it doesn't absorb totally, but then this woman tells me not everything this other woman told me is correct Mad

but, you know... I look fine, it's constantly getting better and if I use a week or to longer I don't care (at least I can show my face in public )
but then again, she said it might help to cut down on the Clear at night time
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Well that would be frustrating!! I think you should be thrilled that your sunspots are barely visible nonetheless and not be disappointed or discouraged by what your derm said. It really sounds like you are way ahead of the game in my mind! Very Happy
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Well that would be frustrating!! I think you should be thrilled that your sunspots are barely visible nonetheless and not be disappointed or discouraged by what your derm said. It really sounds like you are way ahead of the game in my mind! Very Happy

Thank you girl! Smile
I think I'll try to continue a bit with Clear in the evening as well and see, and just be persistent about getting the full 1 gram in to my skin
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Blueeyes,
I think if you are happy with your progress, then that's what matters the most!

My sunspots were no where near gone after the first six weeks. In fact, I saw no real improvement until the 3-4 month mark!

I also went a total of 28 weeks before going on maintenance. Don't be discouraged, we think you're doing great! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Blueeyes,
I think if you are happy with your progress, then that's what matters the most!

My sunspots were no where near gone after the first six weeks. In fact, I saw no real improvement until the 3-4 month mark!

I also went a total of 28 weeks before going on maintenance. Don't be discouraged, we think you're doing great! Smile

Thanks for all your support! Yes, I felt that I was doing really good, and was really bummed by her comments..
She told me that I should go through one tube (50gr) of 0,1% tretinoin cream mixed with Blender in 6 weeks, and yes, mix 1gram (50-50 tret/blender) each night. Since I had such bad reactions in the beginning I cut down on it at the start
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
Thanks for all your support! Yes, I felt that I was doing really good, and was really bummed by her comments..
She told me that I should go through one tube (50gr) of 0,1% tretinoin cream mixed with Blender in 6 weeks, and yes, mix 1gram (50-50 tret/blender) each night. Since I had such bad reactions in the beginning I cut down on it at the start

Well, you would be close to finished with 1 tube of tretinoin at 1 gram a night (she is off by about 1 week! Wink)
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:57 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
blueeyes wrote:

Well, you would be close to finished with 1 tube of tretinoin at 1 gram a night (she is off by about 1 week! Wink)

I'm back to applying the full amount again now (I've been cutting back on the blender for some reason)But now face stings like hell again and I'm back to tomato colour again. Which of the products are causing the redness though? I thought it was the Exfoderm but I'm not sure.. or is it the combination?

I'm getting quite sick of the whole thing to be honest, my skin is supernice, the sunspots are gone and I don't peel much, but I still have three times the amount of wrinkles and look like I have tanned too much, the redness stops halfway down the neck though, so I have to wear a scarf or turtleneck everyday to cover it...
In my job, I really can't go around looking like this
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Blueeyes,
Did you increase the strength of your tretinoin? I know it's hard for a lot of people to tolerate the 0.1% -- I'm still using 0.05.

I'm still really surprised at your derm's comments. It sounds like you're having amazing results in a very short period of time!

I always thought that the Exfoderm was the guilty party in terms of redness, but I also think retin a is to blame as well.

It sounds like you acclimate well to the products so maybe the redness will subside. Every day can be so different during Obagi!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Kims,

Yes everyday is definitely different, and all over I'm SO happy, but I just feel that I should apply more of the Tret (I have used 0.1% the entire time) and it stings so bad I have to get up at night to wash it off, and then during the day I'm so red.
During the days when I don't apply so much I'm still red but it just looks like I went up in the mountains skiing so I can live with that

I'm afraid that I have just wasted my money and that the end result will never be what I hoped for if I take it too slow.. but maybe that isn't the case? I really don't peel much anymore so I hoped I could back off a bit with the exfoderm if that's whats causing the redness, but then again, it's probably the whole regime...
Also, I swear I have wrinkles now that never was there before so obviously I'd like to get through all the weeks so hopefully that will go back to normal
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
blueeyes wrote:
Kims,

Yes everyday is definitely different, and all over I'm SO happy, but I just feel that I should apply more of the Tret (I have used 0.1% the entire time) and it stings so bad I have to get up at night to wash it off, and then during the day I'm so red.
During the days when I don't apply so much I'm still red but it just looks like I went up in the mountains skiing so I can live with that

I'm afraid that I have just wasted my money and that the end result will never be what I hoped for if I take it too slow.. but maybe that isn't the case? I really don't peel much anymore so I hoped I could back off a bit with the exfoderm if that's whats causing the redness, but then again, it's probably the whole regime...
Also, I swear I have wrinkles now that never was there before so obviously I'd like to get through all the weeks so hopefully that will go back to normal

I think the redness in a combination, though most of us get it from the Exfoderm and there were a few of us who dropped the exfoderm to only a few nights a week after the initial 6 weeks of "proper" use. Your skin is adjusting again, blueeyes, now that you have bumped the RA up again. It will be an adjustment period of a few weeks if you are able to keep up with the amount you are using. However there is nothing wrong with taking it slower like you were doing. You were still having great results. The end will be the same, it will just take longer to get there using less. If you are bound and determined to use the correct amount of RA, get some diaper rash cream and use that on any areas that are burning or itching. It really will help.
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I could maybe try to use Biafine, I used that after a motorcycle accident, and the scars on my knees healed just perfectly only using that and I use it when my hands are really dry from the cold air.

I would love to stay on the full on regime (mostly to get through with it) but for business trips I think I have to take it slower, or I might scare people away Laughing

thank you again for your support, you have no idea how much it means to me!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Slow and steady is just fine, blueeyes, and from the sounds of it you are doing great at a very early time in the Nu Derm. Just keep doing what you were doing and what you were happy with! Very Happy
blueeyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:32 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
blueeyes wrote:

Just saw the importers of Obagi yesterday and they said that ideally you should go through a tube of 0,1% tret in 6-8 weeks, but what is so important is that everyone tailor the programs to their needs.
poulinsj
5% products discount

Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:58 am      Reply with quote
Initially i was using the .025 gel but it didn't blend well. I am currently using the .5 cream and it seems to be working.
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
i use 0.1 with obagi, but i have already use 0.1 for a long time before obagi

i think it really depends on individual
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |