Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
Dry flaky skin on cheeks with fine lines?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
It seems like I all of a sudden developed this on my cheeks. I used some of acids previously so not sure if that's the reason why? I used Mandelic Acid and Salicyclic Acid on them seperately for awhile. I then got flaky skin all over so I stopped. Now it seems like my cheeks are flaky and dry. They are dehydrated and when I look closely or smile, I see some very fine lines like they're crinkly...It's not supple Sad I tried creams and stuff and they only help slightly but after I washed my face, they're the same.

I just ordered Eminence Organic Stone Crop serum and cream as well as the Sugar Plum Oil Free Revitilizer to try. Last night was my first night. The Stone Crop serum and cream seem alright hydrating but I can still see the crinkly fine lines if I smile or look up close Crying or Very sad They look like dehydrated skin to me rather than wrinkles. I take Omega 3 on a daily basis and drink 1-1.5L of water a day. So I'm not sure what is missing. Oh and I wear Everyday MMU and no matter what kinda powder, it always pull moisture out somehow. I'm wondering if there's another internal supplement that can help. I seem to feel thirsty and dry all the time no matter how much water I drink. Thanks. Smile
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
My skin can get dry & flaky if I use acids too often. Have you tried oils along with your moisturizer like hemp or avocado?

Another thing, have you had your blood sugar checked recently? (Just wondering why you might be thirsty all the time, sometimes that can be an indication of diabetes.}
Di
5% products discount

Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Stardustdy,
Your question caught my eye, I was going through the same thing for quite awhile. I'm a lot older than you, but what helped me was using a 10% lactic acid every 3 days then I started using it less often about every 10 days. I would only leave the Lactic acid on for 90 seconds then rinse it off. Also after using the 10% lactic acid I use emu oil on damp skin and lightly massage it in. I also use copper peptides diluted once a day. My cheeks are so much better now they use to feel dry and crusty and like you said I could see fine dry lines. It was awful, I also started taking Silica, it's suppose to be good for hair skin nails and bones.

I think Salicyclic acid can be drying, but 10% lactic acid is better for dry sensitive skin.

Hope that helps. Emu oil or Squlane is also great and I couldn't live with out them. I use a lot of both for my dry skin. Smile
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
It seems like I all of a sudden developed this on my cheeks. I used some of acids previously so not sure if that's the reason why? I used Mandelic Acid and Salicyclic Acid on them seperately for awhile. I then got flaky skin all over so I stopped. Now it seems like my cheeks are flaky and dry. They are dehydrated and when I look closely or smile, I see some very fine lines like they're crinkly...It's not supple Sad I tried creams and stuff and they only help slightly but after I washed my face, they're the same.

I just ordered Eminence Organic Stone Crop serum and cream as well as the Sugar Plum Oil Free Revitilizer to try. Last night was my first night. The Stone Crop serum and cream seem alright hydrating but I can still see the crinkly fine lines if I smile or look up close Crying or Very sad They look like dehydrated skin to me rather than wrinkles. I take Omega 3 on a daily basis and drink 1-1.5L of water a day. So I'm not sure what is missing. Oh and I wear Everyday MMU and no matter what kinda powder, it always pull moisture out somehow. I'm wondering if there's another internal supplement that can help. I seem to feel thirsty and dry all the time no matter how much water I drink. Thanks. Smile

hey there,
i think you can google it. i read somewhere that water intake per day for an adult is 4 liters of water. though this is difficult to do, i try to drink at least 3 liters of water per day, alternating with distilled and spring water. i find that when i drink 4 liters of water per day that my skin is more hydrated, my lips never chap regardless of weather conditions, i not bloated/retaining water, my digestion is better, my weight easier to keep down, and it regulates my appetite better(feel less hungry and can better differentiate whether i'm hungry of just bored).

i also have dry skin and patches that were problematic. i've had bad experiences with organic and natural products, including eminence, if you decide to go out of the natural organic range, i really recommend the valmont dna repair serum or the dermatosic serum. they are doing wonders for me.

i heard alot of women having problems after using harsh acids... dry skin and more wrinkles. perhaps this is with over use?

anyways, all the best to you and hope you recover your skin soon! Very Happy

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you need to use a more moisturizing face cream.
You can try the essence - lotion - cream, and so stacked rub

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 am      Reply with quote
What about jojoba, castor and avocado? I have those.
Di
5% products discount

Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
It also has a lot to do with the amount of humidity in the air. I know my skin looks the best when it's raining. My mineral makeup looks nicer too. Indoor heat is very drying.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
My skin was almost ruined (and aged by 10 years) by the over-enthusiastic use of AHA and mild acid peels of my EX-dermatologist.

I've managed to turn it around and can recommend hempseed oil for any sort of dry, flaky skin. It absorbs really well with none of that oilness that some oils leave.

Trying reading through some of this thread...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=34098

You only need to read the first page and maybe a couple of the last pages.
It also works wonders on skin irritated by Retin-A.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've had really good results with Squalane. My skin now feels less Sahara and more Amazon lol.

The fine dehydraton lines have softened and my skin just feels/looks healthier.

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies! I'm relieved to say that the dryness flaking and fine lines are pretty much gone from my cheeks. I guess what happened is cuz I overused on the acids. After the skin peels off, it reveals fresh clean skin Very Happy

Also, I've been moisturizing with Eminence Organics Stone Crop Serum and moisturizer. They're the best combo! It makes my skin soft and hydrated. I just hope I dont break out from it later Confused

But I'll definitely look into the Hempseed oil. Thanks! Smile
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:26 am      Reply with quote
this is interesting to learn.

i used to think AHA is good for dry skin and help moisture the skin.
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 am      Reply with quote
hellenzqq wrote:

My ex-dermatologist explained to me that the aim of younger-looking healthy skin is to thin the epidermis and thicken the dermis. She did this with AHA night cream and mild-glycolic peels. During this treatment period of 4 months, my skin glowed, was clear and no dry patches. But although the AHA and peels did thin my epidermis, they did nothing to thicken the dermis. In the space of 4 months I aged by 10 years (not just my point of view, it was noticed by friends and relatives; even my husband who never notices anything, begged me to stop). The AHA didn't dry my skin as such, but stripping away my epidermis revealed fine lines and made my skin look papery.
I've managed to turn it around after learning so much on EDS and while I'm not against my own very occasional use of a good AHA cream now that I have my 'thick' skin back to keep my pores clean, I do believe regular use is not for everyone.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
hellenzqq wrote:

My ex-dermatologist explained to me that the aim of younger-looking healthy skin is to thin the epidermis and thicken the dermis. She did this with AHA night cream and mild-glycolic peels. During this treatment period of 4 months, my skin glowed, was clear and no dry patches. But although the AHA and peels did thin my epidermis, they did nothing to thicken the dermis. In the space of 4 months I aged by 10 years (not just my point of view, it was noticed by friends and relatives; even my husband who never notices anything, begged me to stop). The AHA didn't dry my skin as such, but stripping away my epidermis revealed fine lines and made my skin look papery.
I've managed to turn it around after learning so much on EDS and while I'm not against my own very occasional use of a good AHA cream now that I have my 'thick' skin back to keep my pores clean, I do believe regular use is not for everyone.

Hi Miranda, hhm from reading this, I'm kinda scared now. I found that the AHA/BHA peels the surface of my skin off revealing the fresh new layer. But I do notice if I look very closely at my face, there're some very very fine facial lines... I don't know how to explain it, it's not like wrinkles or fine lines but more like some line patterns...hhm Not sure if you understand.

So Miranda, my question is, if I use AHA/BHA like once or twice weekly, would that be fine? I don't apply it to entire face now, only certain areas where I tend to break out easily. And the strength is not too strong, only around 2-5%.

Also, what do you think of Glunolactone(sp?). It's said to be very gentle without the irritation and serious peeling.

Thanks for answering my questions! Smile
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Glad your problem is resolved, Stardusty.Also glad to hear about the stone crop products from Eminence.

I also have to resolve to drink more water, ilina...was thinking about it this morning..so glad to read it here again, as it inspires me to do so.

I drink a herbal infusion called marshmallow root. It's one of only a few herbs that can really moisturize our internal/external system...(many are diuretic, hence drying which of course, shows in our skin)..although it is also 'cooling' to the body so may not be right for some people. I buy it from Mountainrose herbs and use about 1/2-1 cup in a ball jar and add a quart of water and let steep from 4-8 hours . it's very mucilage-y so may not be to everyone's taste... but it can be diluted by adding to juices, smoothies (it is ideally taken at room temp...not heated up) Anyway, it does help me with my dry skin, and i really notice the diff when i am not drinking it. (it's also very soothing for the digestive system)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
This is Miranda wrote:

Hi Miranda, hhm from reading this, I'm kinda scared now. I found that the AHA/BHA peels the surface of my skin off revealing the fresh new layer. But I do notice if I look very closely at my face, there're some very very fine facial lines... I don't know how to explain it, it's not like wrinkles or fine lines but more like some line patterns...hhm Not sure if you understand.

So Miranda, my question is, if I use AHA/BHA like once or twice weekly, would that be fine? I don't apply it to entire face now, only certain areas where I tend to break out easily. And the strength is not too strong, only around 2-5%.

Also, what do you think of Glunolactone(sp?). It's said to be very gentle without the irritation and serious peeling.

Sorry I don't mean to scare anyone - like I said, I have returned to my pre AHA-stripped skin so the damage wasn't irreversible (just two lines left that are slowly going).

I think I understand what you're describing Stardustdy - does your skin just look sort of papery? I can't tell you if you're doing too much or if it's ok, it sounds like a good idea to only concentrate on areas you get breakouts. However if those areas are looking papery, then you have to ask the question - which is worse; spots or older-looking skin? I loved my clear, glowy skin during the regime but hated the way it looked thinner and therefore older.
I have no idea what Glunolactone is!! You can tell me more about that!!

Maybe you should continue with your AHA on spot-prone areas but invest in a vaculifter? Although I began many things at once (as you do when you join EDS Rolling Eyes ) I think this little cheap gadget which I use with hempseed oil was the main thing that got my skin going again (with dermarolling a close second and vit C & MSM supps at 3rd).
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:14 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Glad your problem is resolved, Stardusty.Also glad to hear about the stone crop products from Eminence.

I also have to resolve to drink more water, ilina...was thinking about it this morning..so glad to read it here again, as it inspires me to do so.

I drink a herbal infusion called marshmallow root. It's one of only a few herbs that can really moisturize our internal/external system...(many are diuretic, hence drying which of course, shows in our skin)..although it is also 'cooling' to the body so may not be right for some people. I buy it from Mountainrose herbs and use about 1/2-1 cup in a ball jar and add a quart of water and let steep from 4-8 hours . it's very mucilage-y so may not be to everyone's taste... but it can be diluted by adding to juices, smoothies (it is ideally taken at room temp...not heated up) Anyway, it does help me with my dry skin, and i really notice the diff when i am not drinking it. (it's also very soothing for the digestive system)

Jasminerosey, what do you mean by
Quote:
although it is also 'cooling' to the body so may not be right for some people
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
This is Miranda wrote:
hellenzqq wrote:

i understand what you mean, i think i have the exactly same problem here, and I thought it was because my skin is dry, and that was why I put myself on obagi based on the idea that it will improve the moisture level in the skin. but well, it does not work so far.

when i am not smiling, i have nice skin. but it is just when i begin to smile, there are very very small lines all over my face. i even went to see a doctor for that, but she told me she could not see any.......but i know they are there and it bothers me.......
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

Hi Stardustdy
Just reading my moisturizer contents and what do I find?
It's gluconolactone! I've been using this for months!
This is the description on the back:
High strength exfoliating cream. Formulated with gluconolactone, a polyhydroxy acid (PHA) and vitamin E to provide long lasting moisturization, antioxidant and skin smoothing benefits.

I have to say, it certainly does what it says. It doesn't feel like it's exfoliating and there's no sting but it does give day-long moisturization without feeling heavy when it goes on. I love it and it's a reasonably priced (although I have to admit, this is something my horrid derma. doc recommended for me - at least she got something right).
So to return to your original question; yes, I would recommend gluconolactone! It's gentle and completely without peeling effects.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
This is Miranda wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

Hi Stardustdy
Just reading my moisturizer contents and what do I find?
It's gluconolactone! I've been using this for months!
This is the description on the back:
High strength exfoliating cream. Formulated with gluconolactone, a polyhydroxy acid (PHA) and vitamin E to provide long lasting moisturization, antioxidant and skin smoothing benefits.

I have to say, it certainly does what it says. It doesn't feel like it's exfoliating and there's no sting but it does give day-long moisturization without feeling heavy when it goes on. I love it and it's a reasonably priced (although I have to admit, this is something my horrid derma. doc recommended for me - at least she got something right).
So to return to your original question; yes, I would recommend gluconolactone! It's gentle and completely without peeling effects.

Miranda, what's the brand of the moisturizer with Gluconolactone you using right now? I'm wondering...since it's so gentle, is it effective in getting rid of very fine lines and pores? Confused
This is Miranda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Duh! Sorry forgot to say....

NeoStrata Bio Hydrating cream (15 PHA).

It comes in a 40g tube which lasts ages. I am having a good run on the pore front - I thought this was down to my dry-brushing but could be the cream.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Miranda! So there's 15% PHA if I'm correct cuz u said 15PHA? hhm sounds interesting... I might have to look into it then Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |