Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
squalene oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I know there are several avid users of squalene/squalane oil. I can't find it anywhere in Toronto. I have tried whole foods and also places in chinatown. Where do you buy it? Does it need to be purchased online? Thanks
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi amonavis, you should be able to find squalane oil at a healthfood store that carries natural cosmetics.

SkinBiology also has squalane oil that you can purchase here from EDS. HTH
lilyofthevalley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:43 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Hi amonavis, you should be able to find squalane oil at a healthfood store that carries natural cosmetics.

SkinBiology also has squalane oil that you can purchase here from EDS. HTH

Thanks for the information. I will have a look at EDS. Hehe~
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:04 am      Reply with quote
Squalene is from shark liver (and I don't think is the main one people are talking about here) and Squalane is from the olive plant.

I've been using SkinBio's Squalane for ages, and its a very light but highly moisturising oil that I've recommended to all my friends.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:57 am      Reply with quote
Do any of you find squalane to be similar in consistency to rosehip seed oil? What skin benefits have you noticed from it?

I have never used it myself but thought about doing so several times....just never got around to purchasing any. I really like the rosehip seed oil, it is very light and doesn't "feel" like you just put oil on your face...I am curious to know if sqaulane is similar...

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:17 am      Reply with quote
I've used both Rosehip Oil (from two different sources) and squalane, and whilst Rosehip is good for the vitamin qualities, I find it heavier in comparison with squalane.

I find the squalene is light, without being heavy (if that makes sense), and it seems to really do a great job of moisturising my skin with iritating it.
bren21 wrote:
Do any of you find squalane to be similar in consistency to rosehip seed oil? What skin benefits have you noticed from it?

I have never used it myself but thought about doing so several times....just never got around to purchasing any. I really like the rosehip seed oil, it is very light and doesn't "feel" like you just put oil on your face...I am curious to know if sqaulane is similar...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Be very careful when referring to "squalane" and "squalene", they are two different things. They are both derived either from shark liver or commonly from nature using olives. BUT, squalane is fully hydrogenated, meaning it has no double bonds in the carbon chain. Therefore, it can never go rancid, and it will have a silky feel on the skin but will not penetrate well. Squalene on the other hand, which your skin produces naturally as a component of sebum, has double bonds in it's carbon chain. It is less stable than squalane, but feels just as silky smooth and penetrates very readily with complete compatibility with the skin. I like, and use squalene, in many of my formulas.

Yes, squalene can be obtained from shark liver. But, nobody in the cosmetic industry, especially me, is willing to use any sort of animal product to ethically make cosmetics.

Squalene...can be found and derived from Olive Oil. Unfortunately, less and less squalene is being produced (as a by-product) from the Olive Oil manufacturers. So, it is getting harder and harder to find. That is probably why you are having difficulty locating it.

The B & T cosmetic chemical manufacturer located in Italy is the source I use to obtain my squalene. I don't know if they will sell directly to consumers.
If anyone wants the technical information on olive oil derived squalene from the B & T company, don't hesitate to ask. I'll send it right over.

Hope this helps,

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I purchased mine online from ncnproskincare.com and lotioncrafters.com. I don't know though if they ship to canada.
amonavis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all the info everyone
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
I've used both Rosehip Oil (from two different sources) and squalane, and whilst Rosehip is good for the vitamin qualities, I find it heavier in comparison with squalane.

I find the squalene is light, without being heavy (if that makes sense), and it seems to really do a great job of moisturising my skin with iritating it.
bren21 wrote:

Sean, are you using Squalane or squalene?

I'm using Squalane right now, and its working well. If squalene is better though (thanks Notch for the information Smile ) I will try it. Where do you get yours from?

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Squalene is from shark liver (and I don't think is the main one people are talking about here) and Squalane is from the olive plant.

I've been using SkinBio's Squalane for ages, and its a very light but highly moisturising oil that I've recommended to all my friends.

I too use Skin Biology's Squalane from olives as my 2nd choice BHO. SB's Emu Oil is my first.

Even though Notch explains the difference between "ene" & "ane" (both could come from either sharks or olives)right?, I believe SB's "Squalane from Olives" is the one that naturally occurs in the skin as it absorbs beautifully.

I will check on that with Dr. Pickart, but that explains why other brand Squalanes that I have tried in the past just sat on my skin. They must have been the "inferior anes".

Even though it is still a little confusing, Thanks for clarifying Notch.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting. I thought it was just a matter of spelling! I like Skin Biology's squalane. Good price and lasts a long time since you only use a few drops.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Based on NOTCH's rec it sounds as though squalene is the only one that has actual penetration - I haven't used either but that's the one I'd go for. Thanks John.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:44 am      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:

One of the things I've learned on this forum is that Rosehip Seed Oil is one of the "dryest" oils (hence you say "lightest,").... I believe squalane is much more moisturizing.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie - I'm using Skin Biology's Squalane which I'm sure I read came from olives (like Starmodel says).

I tried Emu Oil and found it heavier and thicker in comparison, and I dislike the idea of murdering the emu birds for it too, but figured if it came from a plant (and I'd be appreciative to the plant and offer thanks for it in my prayers) then it would be better.

Though I'm finding NOTCH's products look really tempting to me, I'm going to give them a try when I get through my current batch.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I've had a difficult time finding squalene oil.

I was on the NOTCH website last week to order some lotions I've been wanting to try. John C, has it occurred to you yet to bottle up some squalene in one oz. vials with droppers for consumer use? I'd love to dot a tiny amount around eyes and neck, just as I currently do with meadowfoam seed oil.

Just a thought,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Notch,

It will be a great news for us if you'd distribute B&T squalene in the States.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:15 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
LondonJamie - I'm using Skin Biology's Squalane which I'm sure I read came from olives (like Starmodel says).

I tried Emu Oil and found it heavier and thicker in comparison, and I dislike the idea of murdering the emu birds for it too, but figured if it came from a plant (and I'd be appreciative to the plant and offer thanks for it in my prayers) then it would be better.

Though I'm finding NOTCH's products look really tempting to me, I'm going to give them a try when I get through my current batch.

NOTCH, do you have your own line of products? I'm confused.Embarassed Which products are you going to try out Sean?

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I hear what you are saying SeanySean about the poor Emu's! While my fur is faux and I eat mostly plants, I must admit that I have more than my fair share of leather shoes, coats, jackets, gloves, etc. and I actually love cows! I just don't eat them.

I have read a little further & found that BOTH Squalane & Squalene are naturally occurring in the body. Squalene is unstable and quickly oxidizes which causes it to go rancid. That is why squalane (usually from olives, but also found in sharks) is widely used in cosmetics & skincare products. Squalane is very stable as Notch states.

From what I have read, Squalane does indeed absorb completely into the skin, just as well as the more unstable form Squalene. I used Purity Products Squalane from Sharks years ago & I swear it just sat on my skin (perhaps I didn't give it a chance?). But I prefer the "Olive Version" which is more commonly used in skincare for a variety of reasons. I guess this means, I have half a heart! Laughing

So whether the SQUALENE is derived from sharks or olives it would still have the instability factor which causes it to go rancid quickly.

SQUALANE seems to be the better choice. And like Emu Oil, it is considered a "lipid replenisher" which makes them superior natural moisturizers as well as offering other therapeutic qualities.

The 3 (Squalene/Squalane/Emu) are 100% compatible with our body's natural oils.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I really like the look of his Anti-Wrinkle Cream with Jojoba Esters and Peptides moisturiser but also the “Moisture Miracle” Body Lotion. Both contain a lot of the ingredients spoken about for their moisturising ability in threads here so they look great to me. I'm just trying to finish off my products (as I hate trying new things before I've got rid of my old ones otherwise the bathroom can end up looking like a chemist - its been known at times!!) and then will order up.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

NOTCH, do you have your own line of products? I'm confused.Embarassed Which products are you going to try out Sean?

NOTCH does have his own line of products—here is the website: http://www.neveroverthehill.com/

Here also is one of the review threads: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=34842&highlight=notch
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:

Hi Sean, is this the product you are using?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/skinbiology-squalane-moiu-p_11641.htm

I'm paying Ł75 pounds for squalane oil right now...this would be a better option. Then I can get Skinceuticals CE Ferulic serum!

garbath
5% products discount

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Notch, your explanation about the difference between squalane and squalene was very informative. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I found this about squalene oil. Please read this about squalene oil. It's a relief that topical squalene oil is safe.

http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/squalene-oil/

If yuo're worried about Squalene being derived from shark's liver, hope this puts your mind at ease to read that Unilever and L'Oreal Paris are eliminating shark liver oil from their products. These posts were way back in 2008 and 2009 I think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3323530/Cosmetics-giants-agree-to-stop-using-shark-oil.html

http://www.cosmeticsandtoiletries.com/networking/news/company/15040046.html

As for the independant cosmetic companies, I think you should email your cosmetic company to find our whether their squalene is based on shark liver oil or otherwise.
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Garden Of wisdom also sells Squalane from Olive Oil. Has anyone tried their version?
Jess_Doll
5% products discount

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:03 am      Reply with quote
You can get squalane oil from ncn too. I got the sample, but I haven't used it yet.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |