Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi nuderm diary...with follow up :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
its_kristy wrote:
Riley and anyone else that had issues with fingernails turning orange/brown....

Did the onset of the discolored nail suddenly appear in a matter of a week? And was it only on the nails exposed to the product or was it on all nails (indicating some transdermal asborption and discoloring from the nail bed vs a staining from physical contact)?

I had the yellow discoloration on the nails from the HQ and that appears fairly quickly. The brown nail that I got (which was very dark brown) took 3 months to show up. I only developed that on 1 nail.

Riley--do you think you would have still gotten the brown nail had you worn latex gloves or something?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:

Riley--do you think you would have still gotten the brown nail had you worn latex gloves or something?

I do think I would have gotten the brown nail. My liver enzymes were elevated along with having the brown nail (and this has happened several times with the brown nail/elevate liver enzymes). I am not quite sure how that relates to the brown nail, but since I found that to be the case, I always use the brown nail as a clue to when I need to stop the products (I still do yearly cycles on Nu Derm, and just stop when the 1 nail goes brown.)
falllegend
5% products discount

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi ,want to try!
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I started my Obagi Nuderm tonight. I just applied 1 gram of Clear and after 5 minutes I mixed up 0.5 gram of Blender and 0.5 gram of Retin A 0.05% and rubbed till it got absorbed. By the end of rubbing and absorption, the product got balled up a little. I am wondering if I am doing it right ...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:
I started my Obagi Nuderm tonight. I just applied 1 gram of Clear and after 5 minutes I mixed up 0.5 gram of Blender and 0.5 gram of Retin A 0.05% and rubbed till it got absorbed. By the end of rubbing and absorption, the product got balled up a little. I am wondering if I am doing it right ...

You are doing it right, but you don't need to wait any length of time after the Clear to apply the other products. Just make sure you rub the Clear in totally and then you can apply the RA/Blender. Are you using the cream version of the RA or a gel?
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
micka686 wrote:

Oh thanks so much for replying. Yes I got the cream version. I think I learn how to do things as I go along. Do I have to follow the same steps tomorrow replacing Blender/Retina A with Exfoderm?

You are doing it right, but you don't need to wait any length of time after the Clear to apply the other products. Just make sure you rub the Clear in totally and then you can apply the RA/Blender. Are you using the cream version of the RA or a gel?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:

Oh thanks so much for replying. Yes I got the cream version. I think I learn how to do things as I go along. Do I have to follow the same steps tomorrow replacing Blender/Retina A with Exfoderm?

Yep, same deal, rub in the product really well, and then go on to the next step. Good luck!
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I have a question. I got the impression that I should not use a moisturizer... but a sunblock. I am using Neutogena Healthy Defense SPF 45 daily moisutrizer ... is it ok to use this product or do I have to use something else? .... questions questions questions ...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:54 am      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:
I have a question. I got the impression that I should not use a moisturizer... but a sunblock. I am using Neutogena Healthy Defense SPF 45 daily moisutrizer ... is it ok to use this product or do I have to use something else? .... questions questions questions ...

You are correct. No moisturizers on Nu Derm. You are defeating the entire purpose of Nu Derm when you do that. (Nu Derm does have a product that you can use sparingly if your skin is having a hard time adjusting to the products, but only sparingly and only when truly needed.) The active ingredients in the Nu Derm products are taking your skin back to a healthy state where you will not need a moisturizer twice a day, or even daily. Your Neutrogena sunscreen is fine, as long as it is protecting you. (If you freckle/tan through that sunscreen, then it is not protecting you and you should find another sunscreen.)
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kristy,
I wanted to comment on the brown nail thing. When I first started using the Nuderm products a year ago, I had two nails on my left hand that became discolored, but I didn't realize that I needed to wash my hands after applying the products with HQ in them.

When I went for a manicure, the discoloration could easily be buffed out and when I started washing my hands afterwards, my nails did not become discolored.

I never had enzyme levels checked like Rileygirl did. However, I think my discoloration occurred because of the oxidation.

Just my thoughts...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:15 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
micka686 wrote:

You are correct. No moisturizers on Nu Derm. You are defeating the entire purpose of Nu Derm when you do that. (Nu Derm does have a product that you can use sparingly if your skin is having a hard time adjusting to the products, but only sparingly and only when truly needed.) The active ingredients in the Nu Derm products are taking your skin back to a healthy state where you will not need a moisturizer twice a day, or even daily. Your Neutrogena sunscreen is fine, as long as it is protecting you. (If you freckle/tan through that sunscreen, then it is not protecting you and you should find another sunscreen.)

But isn't sunscreen a moisturizer??? I don't understand it ...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:

But isn't sunscreen a moisturizer??? I don't understand it ...

I guess it could be moisturizing, but the main purpose of a sunscreen is to protect your skin from the sun, and not to provide moisture to your skin.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Hi Kristy,
I wanted to comment on the brown nail thing. When I first started using the Nuderm products a year ago, I had two nails on my left hand that became discolored, but I didn't realize that I needed to wash my hands after applying the products with HQ in them.

When I went for a manicure, the discoloration could easily be buffed out and when I started washing my hands afterwards, my nails did not become discolored.

I never had enzyme levels checked like Rileygirl did. However, I think my discoloration occurred because of the oxidation.

Just my thoughts...

I agree. I think 99.9% of users will just have the staining from the hydroquinone on their nails. All of my other nails that were discolored (lightly) could be buffed out. What happened to my 1 nail was not the discoloration you get when you use HQ; I developed 1 almost black nail. I don't think anyone needs to worry about this at all. It is very rare.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the responses regarding the nail discoloration. Yet another step to the obagi routine....
acta5534
5% products discount

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Is it just me, or does the Clear absorb pretty quickly into skin? I don't have to keep rubbing if it absorbs and dries up almost immediately, correct?
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
acta5534 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Is it just me, or does the Clear absorb pretty quickly into skin? I don't have to keep rubbing if it absorbs and dries up almos t immediately, correct?

Hi Acta,
I suppose it would depend on your skin's ability to absorb the product as to how long you need to rub it in. If the Clear absorbs quickly, then you're ready to move on to the next product.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
acta5534 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Is it just me, or does the Clear absorb pretty quickly into skin? I don't have to keep rubbing if it absorbs and dries up almost immediately, correct?

What I've noticed is that the Blender/Retin-A absorbs like water on my face... zoooom!

No, you don't have to keep on rubbing it after it is absorbed.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:35 am      Reply with quote
I'm just the opposite on product absorption. The Clear takes me about 3 minutes to rub in and the blender/tret 5-6 minutes. The clear is balling up on me by the time I finish rubbing it in.
acta5534
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Since I started using Obagi 3 weeks ago, light brown spots and freckles are appearing that were not there before. Please tell me this is normal and will disappear. Sad
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:57 am      Reply with quote
acta5534 wrote:
Since I started using Obagi 3 weeks ago, light brown spots and freckles are appearing that were not there before. Please tell me this is normal and will disappear. Sad

I haven't heard anyone report New spots. However, your old spots definitely can get darker before they start fading away. What sunscreen are you wearing, and are you using all the products?
acta5534
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
acta5534 wrote:

I haven't heard anyone report New spots. However, your old spots definitely can get darker before they start fading away. What sunscreen are you wearing, and are you using all the products?

Hi,
I'm not using sunscreen. I just wear a large hat when I go outdoors. I'm using all the products in the nu-derm regimen, except for cleanser and toner. Is it possible that these spots were there but were very light and I didn't notice them? I hope that's the case.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
acta5534 wrote:

Hi,
I'm not using sunscreen. I just wear a large hat when I go outdoors. I'm using all the products in the nu-derm regimen, except for cleanser and toner. Is it possible that these spots were there but were very light and I didn't notice them? I hope that's the case.

The products will make your skin more sun sensitive, and without wearing a sunscreen to protect your skin, that is why you are getting new spots! You must wear a good sunscreen if you are using the Nu Derm products. If you don't want to use a sunscreen, I would sugest you to stop all the Nu Derm products.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, Acta! You've got to wear sunscreen while on Nuderm and even when you're not!! Putting sunscreen on has become second nature to me. Even if I'm planning on being indoors most of the day, I still put it on.

There are some current sunscreen threads on EDS right now. You might want to check them out.

Rileygirl's right. There's no purpose in doing Nuderm if you don't use sunscreen.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
Acta, Kims and Riley are right. With Nuderm you are trying to get rid of hyperpigmentation because of sun exposure. If you are not going to protect your face from the sun with a sunscreen then there is no point and your face will get worse because the RA will make you more sensitive to the sun. A wide hat is not enough protection.
acta5534
5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Would any brand of sunscreen work just fine with the Obagi Nuderm regimen?

Do I apply the sunscreen before or after the Clear/Exfoderm? Do I need to wait a certain length of time between applications?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |