Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Obagi nuderm diary...with follow up :)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
acta5534 wrote:
Would any brand of sunscreen work just fine with the Obagi Nuderm regimen?

Do I apply the sunscreen before or after the Clear/Exfoderm? Do I need to wait a certain length of time between applications?

You could try any of the Obagi sunscreens (not the sunfader, yucky stuff!). You apply the sunscreen after all your other products in the morning, as the last step. No wait time is needed between products, just make sure you are rubbing in the products completely before you apply the next one.
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
My 3rd day on Obagi Nuderm ... My skin is red, itchy and flaky. I thought it would take longer to see the flaky stuffs. Today my coworker was asking me if I have sunburn and if I am using sunscreen properly! When should I expect to see reduction of red face and flake?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
micka686 wrote:
My 3rd day on Obagi Nuderm ... My skin is red, itchy and flaky. I thought it would take longer to see the flaky stuffs. Today my coworker was asking me if I have sunburn and if I am using sunscreen properly! When should I expect to see reduction of red face and flake?

Not to discourage you but I am starting my 4th week and I still am red, itchy and flaky. In general, I think it takes approximately 6 weeks for the symptoms above to minimize and even after that, they come back intermittently.
micka686
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
micka686 wrote:

Not to discourage you but I am starting my 4th week and I still am red, itchy and flaky. In general, I think it takes approximately 6 weeks for the symptoms above to minimize and even after that, they come back intermittently.

Oh wow ... but won't be discouraged ... thanks for the reply
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all!

I have been reading up on this whole thread! Took me about 4 hours! But its well worth it.

I'm 27 yrs old and have been plagued with ezcema my entire life! Hence, my skin is usually red/rashy/blotchy/dry/flaky.

I'm really interested in the Obagi treatment but I have a few questions on this.

1) It seems like the starter kit does not come with the Retin A. Do you have to buy it yourself? Or is it because its a prescription med, EDS can't sell it. If thats the case, doesn't Blender have retinol in it?

2) Do you think Obagi will work on sensitive ezcema prone skin? Ezcema sufferer generally have very dry skin, I wonder how Obagi will work when it doesn't require the skin to need moisturiser.

3) I see a lot of references to physical sunblock. What is that? And why is the Sunfader not liked by many of you?

4) For those of you who started Obagi without a derm, how to do diagnose yourself or do you just use whatever's in the starter kit

5) Last question I promise! I noticed that you have to keep using Obagi to maintain your beautiful skin. What if you stop? Do you think its worth it that you have to constantly continue to use Obagi to keep up with your skin? I dont want to start something, and then realise I can't stop it or I'll go back into the "shits" again.

I think a starting point for me is to try to get some Retin A and Vit C. To apply Retin A at night and Vit C in the morning and see what happens, and see if my skin is able to take it since its so sensitive. What do you think?

Thank you girls for being such an inspiration. This diary is most helpful and really tracks what to expect and what is normal. If I had tried Obagi on my own, I think I'll most probably freak out!!
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
As far as i remember my skin was quite messy before starting obagi nuderm and now there is a huge difference,,,its much much much better looking now,,,much better complexion,,,much bettr and even toned,,much much smoother and fresh BUT how come no one is asking me what i m doing or no one is telling me that my skin is looking good ???? even people who dont see me everyday,and people who have seen me the last time when i was about to start Obagi,,even they havent noticed anything...n o one says anything....hmm i mean is this only me who thinks my skin is better and its cuz i was alwas hoping that obagi will make things better for me ? is it not improved in reAL ? SadSadSad
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
maheen1 wrote:
As far as i remember my skin was quite messy before starting obagi nuderm and now there is a huge difference,,,its much much much better looking now,,,much better complexion,,,much bettr and even toned,,much much smoother and fresh BUT how come no one is asking me what i m doing or no one is telling me that my skin is looking good ???? even people who dont see me everyday,and people who have seen me the last time when i was about to start Obagi,,even they havent noticed anything...n o one says anything....hmm i mean is this only me who thinks my skin is better and its cuz i was alwas hoping that obagi will make things better for me ? is it not improved in reAL ? SadSadSad

lol! Maybe its a gradual increase and people dont realise it? I'm sure the improvement is real Smile
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 am      Reply with quote
Another question I have is that I read that the C-RX treatment is better for people from their 20s to 30s. I think that might be more suitable for me, as I dont have wrinkles or bad sun damage. I just have very bad ezcema ;(

At what age did you start the NuDerm?
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
Hi all!

I have been reading up on this whole thread! Took me about 4 hours! But its well worth it.

I'm 27 yrs old and have been plagued with ezcema my entire life! Hence, my skin is usually red/rashy/blotchy/dry/flaky.

I'm really interested in the Obagi treatment but I have a few questions on this.

Hi Funky

I will attempt to answer some of these questions but I'm sure more experienced users such as Riley can add more.

Quote:

1) It seems like the starter kit does not come with the Retin A. Do you have to buy it yourself? Or is it because its a prescription med, EDS can't sell it. If thats the case, doesn't Blender have retinol in it?

Correct, the starter does not come with the Retin-A/Tretinoin. It is a separate product that comes in 3 different strengths (.025%, 0.05% and .1%) and the one appropriate for you depends on your skin sensitivity, medical conditions, and prior exposure to retin-A. It is a prescription product and thus can't be sold by EDS. Blender does not have retinol in it..

Quote:

2) Do you think Obagi will work on sensitive ezcema prone skin? Ezcema sufferer generally have very dry skin, I wonder how Obagi will work when it doesn't require the skin to need moisturiser.

Obagi is very intense and the products are pretty strong. I'm not sure how appropriate Obagi is for those with eczema given eczema sometimes causes blisters and raw skin. Obagi should not be used on open wounds and raw skin.

Quote:

3) I see a lot of references to physical sunblock. What is that? And why is the Sunfader not liked by many of you?

Physical sunblock offers the best protection from sun damage and does not use chemicals that are thought to be toxic over the long term. The Sunfader is disliked by many because it often burns upon application.

Quote:

4) For those of you who started Obagi without a derm, how to do diagnose yourself or do you just use whatever's in the starter kit

It is recommended that you start Obagi under the care of a derm or at least an experienced esthetician. I would say this is especially true given your eczema condition.

Quote:

5) Last question I promise! I noticed that you have to keep using Obagi to maintain your beautiful skin. What if you stop? Do you think its worth it that you have to constantly continue to use Obagi to keep up with your skin? I dont want to start something, and then realise I can't stop it or I'll go back into the "shits" again.

If you stop using Obagi and don't stay on maintenance (assuming you do not compensate with comparable products), your skin is likely to return to its original condition. I would say that if you don't want to commit to maintenance, then don't even start Obagi. The path to success is a long and difficult one not to mention somewhat expensive.

Quote:

I think a starting point for me is to try to get some Retin A and Vit C. To apply Retin A at night and Vit C in the morning and see what happens, and see if my skin is able to take it since its so sensitive. What do you think?

I'll let more experienced answer this one.
Ebony2

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and really enjoyed reading through the messages. I used the Obagi Nuderm system last year and had excellent results. My skin tone improved and all my black heads disappeared completely Very Happy

I have had to go off the system now 'cos I'm planning on having a baby and was advised not to continue with it... I just wanted to know if anyone is in the same position where they had to take a break and what other products they used while trying to conceive.Since I stopped using the Obagi Nuderm products, the black heads have re-appeared which is frustrating Crying or Very sad

Thanks
Ebony2
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:04 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
Another question I have is that I read that the C-RX treatment is better for people from their 20s to 30s. I think that might be more suitable for me, as I dont have wrinkles or bad sun damage. I just have very bad ezcema ;(

At what age did you start the NuDerm?

Funky, I would definitely recommend that you go see a derm. I personally don't think Nu Derm would be good for a person with eczema. (You have this on your face, correct?)

The C-RX can be just as "harsh" as the Nu Derm for some people but it is geared for the younger people.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 am      Reply with quote
[quote="its_kristy"]
funkydory wrote:

Quote:

I'll let more experienced answer this one.

I would start really slow and if you have never used Retin A. I would tell you to first try an OTC Retinol product or one of Avene's retinaldehyde products first to see if your skin can handle it. For the C, this was is really trial and error to even find the serum you like best, so if you are going to spend your money to try one, I would try samples of skinceuticals that you can get on ebay.

I think for someone with sensitive skin who has eczema, the best thing you can do would be to talk to a derm about what is and isn't ok for your skin.

And, Kristy gave you excellent answers to the rest of your questions! Very Happy
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Ebony2 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and really enjoyed reading through the messages. I used the Obagi Nuderm system last year and had excellent results. My skin tone improved and all my black heads disappeared completely Very Happy

I have had to go off the system now 'cos I'm planning on having a baby and was advised not to continue with it... I just wanted to know if anyone is in the same position where they had to take a break and what other products they used while trying to conceive.Since I stopped using the Obagi Nuderm products, the black heads have re-appeared which is frustrating Crying or Very sad

Thanks
Ebony2

I know the hydroquinone is contraindicated during pregnancy but I'm not sure about the tretinoin or the glycolic acid. Try asking your OB/GYN about these--you may be able to continue with one or both. It is these two items that are helping with the blackheads, not the hydroquinone.

Alternatively, I do know there are physical exfoliants that can help with blackheads. I read some positive comments about a daily-use Dermalogica product. It has some sort of rice particles or something in it.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Ebony, the product is called Daily Microfoliant.

http://dermalogica.com/us/products.html#/products/product-use/exfoliants/daily-microfoliant

There are some other exfoliants from the same line at

http://dermalogica.com/us/products.html#/products/product-use/exfoliants
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:08 am      Reply with quote
How far down on the lid can/should you apply the blender/tret? I got a little aggressive and/or careless the other night and applied all the way down to lashes. Embarassed Well yesterday my eyes looked like someone had put scotch tape on my lids and when I raised my eyebrows, there was all kinds of ghastly wrinkles and pulling. Today I have some major peeling going on.

How far down should I be applying the tretinoin?
Jess_Doll
5% products discount

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I'm so inspired by your beautiful skins that I wanna try it out too!

How long have you guys been using Obagi? Do you still do the maintenance of 6 to 8 weeks every year?
acta5534
5% products discount

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I'm the one everybody gasped at for not using sunblock during the regimen. I ordered the Obagi #6 Sunblock yesterday. So until I wait for it to arrive, I have a half bottle of Shiseido SPF 30 sunblock that I bought 5+ years ago. There's no expiration date. Is this okay to use in the meantime?
Tia2010
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am      Reply with quote
its_kristy wrote:
How far down on the lid can/should you apply the blender/tret? I got a little aggressive and/or careless the other night and applied all the way down to lashes. Embarassed Well yesterday my eyes looked like someone had put scotch tape on my lids and when I raised my eyebrows, there was all kinds of ghastly wrinkles and pulling. Today I have some major peeling going on.

How far down should I be applying the tretinoin?

I don't use any of the Obagi products or the tretinoin directly around my eye. I just apply it up to the orbital bone , above my eyebrows ,and in the "crows feet" area on the sides. BUT the product seems to migrate to my eye area anyway.

So even though I don't apply it directly to my eye area , my eyes still look awful ! They are dry and sooo wrinkled. Even my dh commented how my new skin care system was " kicking my eyes ass" Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

I cant imagine applying right under my eyes I look bad enough right now!!!!!
Sydney
5% products discount

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kristy, I have been told by my consultant to apply products around orbital ridge, not directly in the eye area, but I have heard that some users do apply within the orbital ridge. The product does migrate into the eye area anyway. I had to put vaseline on the edges of my eye to prevent soreness on occasions and for several weeks had to apply eye drops as obagi made my eyes super dry, even though I was careful not to apply within orbital ridge.

Maheen, only 2 people have commented on my skin improvement (and they knew that I was on the Obagi) so I know how you feel, altho one person did tell me that I always look fresh faced these days!! However the fact that I am now much happier with my skin is enough for me!!!
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
acta5534 wrote:
Hi, I'm the one everybody gasped at for not using sunblock during the regimen. I ordered the Obagi #6 Sunblock yesterday. So until I wait for it to arrive, I have a half bottle of Shiseido SPF 30 sunblock that I bought 5+ years ago. There's no expiration date. Is this okay to use in the meantime?

Sunscreen does expire and lose its efficacy after a period of time. I would toss that and buy something else, even if some cheap brand that you can use for a few days.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Jess_Doll wrote:
I'm so inspired by your beautiful skins that I wanna try it out too!

How long have you guys been using Obagi? Do you still do the maintenance of 6 to 8 weeks every year?

Hi Jess_Doll,
Nuderm is an 18 week program that you do first. After that, you continue with a maintenance plan that includes using the Nuderm products -- just less frequently in order to maintain the results you achieved.
Every year, it is recommended to do another full round of Nuderm again, but many people (including myself) choose to do it for a shorter amount of time. My goal is to do 6-8 weeks for "Round 2."

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
My 4th day ... quite an uncomfortable day. Very red, itchy and flakey... Grrrrr
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Tia2010 wrote:

So even though I don't apply it directly to my eye area , my eyes still look awful ! They are dry and sooo wrinkled. Even my dh commented how my new skin care system was " kicking my eyes ass" Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

I cant imagine applying right under my eyes I look bad enough right now!!!!!

I don't know about you, but I see on-line ads for various beauty products and it often features a 'time-progressed' rendering of a woman with horrible wrinkling everywhere and just think "eesh, that's what I look like..." Embarassed
maheen1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ebony i m on my14th or 15th week,,not counting these days hehehe but i m ging to go in the aame postion as yours....i will finish my 18th week in a few weeks and after that i have plans to try to concieve my secind baby and thats why i wont be able to do the maintenance,,,i really dont know what is the alternative to obagi that can help me keep up with the reuslts i have achieved,,i do know of a product named KOJIC acid and my derm seels the pads of it that u have to apply everyday and they r called the even tone pads,,they keep ur skin even toned which was probably the main reason i started using obagi since i had very blotchy skin tone and its perfect now...so i would also want to know what u r concerend about ,so i have the same question form anyone who knows the answer Smile...if i didnt come up with any thing else then i m usre i will use the even tone pads everyday cuz i know they r good for uneven toned skin...Smile

Sydney,,,thanks for the reply and u r absolutely rght,,,i know my skin has improved alottttttt and thats all maters to me...no problem if anyone doesnt notice it,,i know and i m 100 % sure SmileSmileSmile
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:04 am      Reply with quote
maheen1 wrote:
Ebony i m on my14th or 15th week,,not counting these days hehehe but i m ging to go in the aame postion as yours....i will finish my 18th week in a few weeks and after that i have plans to try to concieve my secind baby and thats why i wont be able to do the maintenance,,,i really dont know what is the alternative to obagi that can help me keep up with the reuslts i have achieved,,i do know of a product named KOJIC acid and my derm seels the pads of it that u have to apply everyday and they r called the even tone pads,,they keep ur skin even toned which was probably the main reason i started using obagi since i had very blotchy skin tone and its perfect now...so i would also want to know what u r concerend about ,so i have the same question form anyone who knows the answer Smile...if i didnt come up with any thing else then i m usre i will use the even tone pads everyday cuz i know they r good for uneven toned skin...Smile

Sydney,,,thanks for the reply and u r absolutely rght,,,i know my skin has improved alottttttt and thats all maters to me...no problem if anyone doesnt notice it,,i know and i m 100 % sure SmileSmileSmile

I saw an abstract on clinical studies on the reduction of hyperpigmentation with niacinamide and glucosamine. I'm not sure if hyperpigmentation was an issue for you or not but you might try this alternative treatment. I believe the Olay carries a product with those ingredients. It's in their definity or regenerist line. I can't remember which.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |