Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



My Obagi nuderm diary...with follow up :)

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Very little peeling today and skin was not dry, sore or irritated. Seem to be tolerating the .05 every night very well.
The Jane Iredale mineral pressed powder is working well for a makeup.
Tomorrow is day 21 for me.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds like you are doing great, buffy! Very Happy
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:57 am      Reply with quote
buffy45 wrote:
Very little peeling today and skin was not dry, sore or irritated. Seem to be tolerating the .05 every night very well.
The Jane Iredale mineral pressed powder is working well for a makeup.
Tomorrow is day 21 for me.


You're doing well! I also used JI mineral make-up. It really helped with the redness.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl,
How are you coming along? So, you're peeling this time around? Are you planning on maintenance after your six weeks?

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Day 22 here. Can't believe I am almost at the end of 1 month but glad. Has anyone else noticed that the most peeling is at and around lines on your face? Then, when it peels it leaves the lines red, so you have like a red roadmap on your face, LOL. Easily covered up though with makeup, so it isn't bad. Sometimes I just wish I could have one giant peel of my whole face to get it over with Bad Grin
Still have a little itching but nothing too bad I can't live with. Anxious to see what my skin looks like in another month.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
Rileygirl,
How are you coming along? So, you're peeling this time around? Are you planning on maintenance after your six weeks?


Doing fine. All the age spots/freckles or whatever they were are gone. The peeling has slowed down and now just dry at the corners of my mouth. If it wasn't for my broken caps, I would be thrilled with my skin! Definitely plan on staying on maintenance this time around.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
buffy45 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the most peeling is at and around lines on your face? Then, when it peels it leaves the lines red, so you have like a red roadmap on your face, LOL. Easily covered up though with makeup, so it isn't bad. Sometimes I just wish I could have one giant peel of my whole face to get it over with Bad Grin


No, I noticed the flaking mostly around my mouth. LOL. I agree, I wish we could have 1 giant full face peel and then be done with flaking!
ullheidi
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I am a Nu-Derm, Nu-bee! I went to the dermatologist today and I will begin the system tonight. One of the ladies at the Dr. office said that I need to use high quality mineral makeup while on the Nu-Derm system but I have tried several different brands of mineral makeup in the past only to have found my favorite in Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation. Does anyone know why it is necessary to use only high quality mineral makeup and if Mary Kay would fall into that category?
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome Heidi. Glad to have some more on this new journey with us.
I would ask your derm about the Mary Kay, I don't know if it is what they consider high quality or not but I know many people love her products. If not, check into the Jane Iredale, a lot of derms sell it, plus spas, salons, etc. You won't find it in a regular retail store but if you go to the website, you can put in your zip code to find it near you.
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Another thing I keep forgetting to mention is the peeling of my eyebrows, they have peeled more than any other part of my face, I take a stiff eyebrow brush to gently scrub away the flakies. I don't know why that peels more than any other area, must have a lot of built up dead skin. Anyone else notice this?

Today I put on my Jane Iredale mineral makeup without using a moisturizer, as I know they discourage us from using moisturizer while on the program. The makeup still looks nice but my skin does look dry. Will be glad when I get past this dry phase.
ullheidi
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Buffy45! I will look into that! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as things start getting ugly!
Freedomwriter
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I'm new to this. I started Obagi Nu Derm 12 days ago and I am so embarassed. My face looks as if I have a very bad case of eczema all over, and someone asked if I had just had a chemical peel as it looked to sore. How long does this last? I thought I read that the skin constantly flakes - tell me it's not true Sad
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Freedomwriter wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm new to this. I started Obagi Nu Derm 12 days ago and I am so embarassed. My face looks as if I have a very bad case of eczema all over, and someone asked if I had just had a chemical peel as it looked to sore. How long does this last? I thought I read that the skin constantly flakes - tell me it's not true Sad


Hi Freedomwriter,
The worst part is usually the first six weeks as the skin acclimates to the products. It's possible that you could be somewhat red and peelie throughout the entire time. If your face is too red and sore, you might cut down on the frequency of the products.

What issues are you trying to address with Nuderm?. It's great for hyperpigmentation but it can be a really tough treatment!

Hopefully, your skin will acclimate soon. Keep us posted!

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Freedomwriter wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm new to this. I started Obagi Nu Derm 12 days ago and I am so embarassed. My face looks as if I have a very bad case of eczema all over, and someone asked if I had just had a chemical peel as it looked to sore. How long does this last? I thought I read that the skin constantly flakes - tell me it's not true Sad


It can flake the entire time, unfortunately. The worst part is usually 6-8 weeks for most people. Have you seen you derm, though, as your description sounds very severe?
eyecandi17
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:04 am      Reply with quote
hey everyone, i posted a few weeks ago about my obagi journey. Well i've restarted and decided this time to do it right and purchase the full system. I've purchased all the products including the Obagi tretinoin 0.5% cream which i mix with blender as per instructions(i was using Retin a Micro before) and i am 4 days in. I gave my Exfoderm forte to my mom and bought the regular Exfoderm. Anyway so far my skin is not looking too bad, it's just very very VERY dry. Peeling has begun around my mouth and nose. My skin feels very smooth when wet but very rough when dry but at this stage it's tolerable.

I have a question, right now i'm using an all zinc sunscreen which i'm loving but i recently bought the Nia24 sun damage prevention sunscreen and i'm wondering if the niacin in it would interfere with the obagi products on my face?. I love the sunscreen i'm using now but was just wondering if it was safe to alternate between the 2, thanks
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Day 24 here.
I use the sunfader that came in my kit, I am not crazy about it as it is thick and kind of heavy feeling but since it also helps with lightening of the brown spots, I figure I will use it. Just yesterday though, I bought some Omorovicza skin brightener that has SPF 25 in it and it light and creamy, thought I would use it on the days when I wore makeup and wanted it to look the best.

The flaking around my eyes and eyebrows was much less when I got up this morning, usually have a lot there, but this morning it is mainly my chin and neck area that are flaky. Chest is red and itchy, I just recently started paying more attention to my neck and chest, so I guess it is newer to that area.

Yesterday while I was out and about, several people commented on how smooth and pretty my skin was, so I guess it is working, well, yes, I do know it is working, I can see it too but I have to say, I don't like how my skin feels, will be glad to have worked through all this.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:26 am      Reply with quote
eyecandi17 wrote:


I have a question, right now i'm using an all zinc sunscreen which i'm loving but i recently bought the Nia24 sun damage prevention sunscreen and i'm wondering if the niacin in it would interfere with the obagi products on my face?. I love the sunscreen i'm using now but was just wondering if it was safe to alternate between the 2, thanks


The Nia24 sunscreen is probably a really good choice. It will help with the RA reaction (redness, etc.), so I think you will be just fine using that one. Good luck on your new journey!
Freedomwriter
New Member

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl and Kims

Thanks so much for your advice. I did call my derm and they just said it was to be expected. I'm not kidding it was absolutely awful! My neck and face looked red raw, then yesterday my skin peeled in 1cm bits from my eyes down over my chin and also my neck. I had been told it would peel but I just hadn't expected that!
I had been using the Exfoderm every morning and it was suggested to cut down on the Exfoderm to the three days following use of tretinoin. Which , by the way, is 0.1%
This morning all I used was the wash and toner so my day was a load better with peeling around my mouth and chin only and it just looked dry and flaky today - much much better. I will have to use the other products soon although I'm feeling very apprehensive.

Also I think the tretinoin is too strong so will apply less and maybe mix it with a moisturizer? Does that sound possible? Does that reduce it's potentcy?

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. Once again many thanks for your support.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Freedomwriter wrote:

Also I think the tretinoin is too strong so will apply less and maybe mix it with a moisturizer? Does that sound possible? Does that reduce it's potentcy?

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. Once again many thanks for your support.


It does sound like the tretinoin is too strong. I wouldn't cut it with moisturizer, but definitely use less than the recommended amount right now. Maybe you could check with your derm about using it less, as well? Also, you might want to check into the Obagi Action or Tolereen. Check with your derm, but that could help you through the rough times. Good luck!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
eyecandi17 wrote:


I have a question, right now i'm using an all zinc sunscreen which i'm loving but i recently bought the Nia24 sun damage prevention sunscreen and i'm wondering if the niacin in it would interfere with the obagi products on my face?. I love the sunscreen i'm using now but was just wondering if it was safe to alternate between the 2, thanks


The Nia24 sunscreen is probably a really good choice. It will help with the RA reaction (redness, etc.), so I think you will be just fine using that one. Good luck on your new journey!



I used the NIA24 sunscreen almost all the way through the Nuderm process and into maintenance and felt that it worked extremely well.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 1575
Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Freedomwriter,
Could you ask your derm for a lesser strength of retin a? I started with 0.025% and gradually moved up to 0.050%. If you've never used a retinoid before, I would think that 0.10% would be exceptionally strong.

_________________
50 Is definitely NOT nifty!!
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Freedom, I agree, the .01 tret is awfully strong to begin with, or retin, whichever you call it. I started with .025 and after almost 3 weeks moved up to .05. Also, are you mixing it with the Obagi blender that comes with the kit? I think that is to help cut it down in strength. My nurse says not to use moisturizer and not to even use action as it will slow down the process, she asked me to come by tomorrow and she is going to give me a moisturizer that she recommends using with it, I will post the name of it after I get it.
I really have to say, I do not like how my skin looks being so dry, red and with the peeling, so hope it is all worth it in the end.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 15 Jan 2006
Posts: 9519
Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
buffy45 wrote:
Also, are you mixing it with the Obagi blender that comes with the kit? I think that is to help cut it down in strength.


The opposite is true. The blender helps the Retin A penetrate deeper.
buffy45
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 118
Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Riley, that is good to know about the blender helping the Tret penetrate deeper, I am still in the early learning stages of Obagi, that's for sure.
My skin is looking good but still several areas of flaking. I have company coming for a few days on Sunday, so last night I used less of the products, thought I would just back off a little but keep going while they are here, in hopes that my face won't look quite as red, dry and flaky while they are here, but don't want to hurt my progress.
eyecandi17
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
kims wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
eyecandi17 wrote:


I have a question, right now i'm using an all zinc sunscreen which i'm loving but i recently bought the Nia24 sun damage prevention sunscreen and i'm wondering if the niacin in it would interfere with the obagi products on my face?. I love the sunscreen i'm using now but was just wondering if it was safe to alternate between the 2, thanks


The Nia24 sunscreen is probably a really good choice. It will help with the RA reaction (redness, etc.), so I think you will be just fine using that one. Good luck on your new journey!



I used the NIA24 sunscreen almost all the way through the Nuderm process and into maintenance and felt that it worked extremely well.

thanks guys was hoping i could continue using this, the finish is very nice.
So i've been using the Obagi tretinoin cream 0.5% for 5 nights now and my initial experience is total opposite of the retin a micro 0.4% which seems stronger. No peeling at all, very mild flaking around my mouth no flaking anywhere else,no redness,not much reaction at all(other than smoother skin). hm i'm wondering if i should purchase the 0.1% after this tube runs out. How much retin a am i supposed to be mixing with the blender? i'm mixing a large pea size with equal parts blender is this right?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Anthony Logistics Instant Fix Oil Control (85 g / 3 oz) Pevonia Spa Clinica Pro Micro-Retinol Essential Moisturizer (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Payot Techni Liss First First Wrinkles Smoothing Care (50 ml / 1.6 floz)