Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

chia seeds
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have been making green smoothies, and i added some chia seed gel (2 tspns) into it.
I've heard some chatter on this board about chia seeds here and there, but nothing really definitive on how to use them.

I'm a little confused myself about what the benefits are.

But they seem exciting, especially for us skincare-obsessed. mainly this benefit:

Quote:
One of the exceptional qualities of the Chia seed is its hydrophilic properties, having the ability to absorb more than 12 times its weigh in water. Its ability to hold on to water offers the ability to prolong hydration. Fluids and electrolytes provide the environment that supports the life of all the body’s cells. Their concentration and composition are regulated to remain as constant as possible. With Chia seeds, you retain moisture, regulate, more efficiently, the bodies absorption of nutrients and body fluids. Because there is a greater efficiency in the utilization of body fluids, the electrolyte balance is maintained.

Does this mean that chia seeds will give us more hydrated skin and support cell health if they are so hydrophilic and act in this manner?

Here is the website I got the quote from:
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

I'm hoping that just eating some chia seeds everyday will give my skin a better effect than taking HA supplements.

What does everyone think?

Also, let's brainstorm for uses!
I put some in my steel cut oats this morning.

My recipe is DELICIOUS:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup steel cut oats
dash cinnamon
dash turmeric
1/2 tspn -1 tspn raw honey (to taste)
1 pat butter
toasted raw walnuts (to taste)
fresh cut apple
2 tspns chia seed gel
and
fresh homemade plain yogurt on the side, mixed in as you will... Enjoy!

I eat this in the morning, a couple hours after lemon water and a lot of water...
and i eat a green smoothie for dinner, plus whatever else i want for dinner (tonight, pan-roasted chicken and baked sweet potato).

yum, yum, yum!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
great recipe avalange!
oh gosh now i'm getting hungry! Shock

btw, have you used any green tea powder in drink recipes?

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Great link Avalange and I LOVE my chia seeds!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
can you share how you eat them and what benefits you get from them, please?

thanks!!!

--avalange

Toby wrote:
Great link Avalange and I LOVE my chia seeds!!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
hi!
i have not used green tea powder, are you referring to matcha?
what about tomato paste?!?!?!
sorry, forgot to post the recipe, but you get the idea--put the oats in boiling water and then reduce heat and cook covered for 5-8 minutes.
then add the rest!

--avalange

llina wrote:
great recipe avalange!
oh gosh now i'm getting hungry! Shock

btw, have you used any green tea powder in drink recipes?

brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 am      Reply with quote
I use chia seeds in porridge, sprinkled on toast, on cereal or mix it in yogurt. Chia seeds are high in magnesium and an excellent source of selenium. It's an easy way of getting more fibre in your diet. I haven't noticed it doing anything profound for my skin. They're supposed to also be good as a dieting aid.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been researching the RAW food lifestyle and I've seen plenty of recipes for Chia. I really like the texture of rice pudding and tapioca bubbles in bubble tea so I want to make this:

Raw 'Rice Pudding'

4-5 tbsp chia seed
2 cups almond milk
raw honey or agave syrup to taste

Combine the ingredients to your taste. Leave the chia to soak for at least 10 minutes before consuming. You can also add other flavours like vanilla, cinnamon or cardamom.

I found some videos and recipes here:
http://www.chiativity.org/recipes/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Chia seeds are very high in omega 3's and antioxidants (both good for your skin), plus they are a high fiber, high protein, low fat food. Excellent for anyone dieting because they make you feel full, plus they have been clinically proven to slow the absorption of carbs/sugars to keep your blood sugar levels steady.

Buying a ground version increases the bioavailability by 4x. Also, the white and black versions have identical nutritional profiles.

I have been buying mine for the last year+ from Hidalgo Foods....here is an excerpt from their website:

Quote:
Chia is packed with 2 times the protein of any other seed or grain, 5 times the calcium of milk with boron that helps transfer calcium to the bones, 2 times the potassium as bananas, 3 times the reported antioxidant strength of blueberries, and 3 times more iron than spinach. Chia seed contains large amounts of B vitamins and calcium. By volume, one ounce of chia contains two percent B-2 (riboflavin), 13 percent niacin, and 29 percent thiamin, and trace amounts of all B vitamins. In roughly two ounces of chia (100 grams), there are 600 milligrams of calcium.

Chia slows the impact of sugars on the system if eaten together. The gel creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down helping to slow the conversion of carbs into sugar. This means the energy from the food is released steadily resulting in more endurance. You can combine chia with super-sweet tastes like apple juice and not get a huge spike in your blood sugar. This is clearly of great benefit to people with blood sugar issues.

Chia seed protein contains no gluten. This makes it ideal for anyone with gluten sensitivities or someone simply wanting to find a replacement for gluten-containing grains like wheat, barley, rye and oats.

http://www.hidalgofoods.com/page5/chia-seeds-salvia-hispanica-l.html

5% products discount

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using chia seeds in green smoothies also. I read somewhere that some people soak the seeds and then add them to the smoothie after it has been blended. I have been adding them dry and blending them with the rest of the ingredients. Does anyone know if it matters one way or the other? Am I getting the same benefits? And if the black and white seeds are nutritionally the same, why are the white ones more expensive?
karianne
5% products discount

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Never mind about the price difference. I just read on the Hidalgo Foods website
Quote:
Black is the original color of chia seeds and is approximately 85% black and 15% white, gray, and/or brown. A variety known as the white chia is the opposite: 85% white, 15% other colors. To get this variety, the white ones are isolated from the original black variety and then planted. This process is repeated until the desired color ratio is achieved. This variety is less common and usually more expensive than the black.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
karianne wrote:
I've been using chia seeds in green smoothies also. I read somewhere that some people soak the seeds and then add them to the smoothie after it has been blended. I have been adding them dry and blending them with the rest of the ingredients. Does anyone know if it matters one way or the other? Am I getting the same benefits?

I don't think it really matters, unless you happen to use less if you wait for it to gel.

I add 2 tbsps to my shake, and drink immediately.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
This quote was in an email I got from hidalgofoods.com:

Quote:
"The truth is, chia seeds are actually good for you--we're talking really good for you! In fact, they just may be one of the healthiest things around. Here's why:

Nutty-tasting whole-grain chia seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, and they have among the highest antioxidant activity of any whole food--even more than fresh blueberries. And they do good stuff for the body, like keeping blood pressure and blood sugar under control. The chia seeds you get in a Chia Pet have not been approved as food by the FDA, so get yours from a health food store, or order some online. "

- Dr. Oz

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

Quote:
"The truth is, chia seeds are actually good for you--we're talking really good for you! In fact, they just may be one of the healthiest things around. Here's why:

Nutty-tasting whole-grain chia seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, and they have among the highest antioxidant activity of any whole food--even more than fresh blueberries. And they do good stuff for the body, like keeping blood pressure and blood sugar under control. The chia seeds you get in a Chia Pet have not been approved as food by the FDA, so get yours from a health food store, or order some online. "

- Dr. Oz

Hi Bethany; have you seen this study? Any comments?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19628108

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
bethany wrote:

Quote:

- Dr. Oz

Hi Bethany; have you seen this study? Any comments?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19628108

Very interesting! I had not seen that because I did all my reading before that was published. But I just did a quick search and also found this:

Quote:
Conclusion: There is limited evidence supporting the efficacy of Salvia hispanica for any indication; thus far, only two clinical studies have examined the effects of Salvia hispanica on cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors (including body weight). One study showed some effects on some CVD risk factors, while the other did not. Neither study showed any effects of Salvia hispanica on weight loss. However, the historical use of Salvia hispanica suggests that it is safe for consumption by nonallergic individuals. Further rigorous examination is warranted pertaining to the use of Salvia hispanica as a dietary supplement, as well as in the treatment or prevention of human disease.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/rrct/2009/00000004/00000003/art00006?crawler=true

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have a friend who is VERY into the LifeMax Mila pyramid marketing deal (which I don't believe in)...I am sure that they have some reasons for disputing this, which ought to be very interesting. I'm going to forward this to her now.

But from my personal standpoint, I am going to continue to eat it because:
- It is a great plant based protein that doesn't require cooking Very Happy and is easy for me to consume
- The nutritional profile is still great
- It does make me feel fuller, which keeps me from getting hungry between meals
- It keeps me VERY regular, which is great for getting rid of toxins
- The fiber greatly limits any IBS attacks for me

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a great site for outstanding technical information on Chia Seed. Also, both the seed and oil can be purchased through this group. I know the owners and the chemists behind this company and they are an A #1 group.

No, I am not affiliated with them in any way.

http://www.theomegatree.com/

John

NOTE: After taking another look at their site, it appears that the technical information (to some extent) has been taken down during site updating. So, check in again from time to time to see if it is back up and fully available.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I have a friend who is VERY into the LifeMax Mila pyramid marketing deal (which I don't believe in)...I am sure that they have some reasons for disputing this, which ought to be very interesting. I'm going to forward this to her now.

I got a reply back from my friend who said that Mila was "different than chia" (which I presume means "better") and that they have the nutritional profile checked regularly. But I until I see some side by side comparisons of other brands like Salba, etc. I'm not sure I buy that. After all, this is the same seed that was selling for $3/lb until the pryamid marketing guys bought them.

But at least she didn't poo poo the study, though I'm not sure she even bothered to read it under the assumption that unless they tested Mila, the study was a waste.

From lifemax.net:

Quote:

"The Miracle Seed has the highest and safest concentration of Omega-3 fatty acids, Antioxidants, Fiber and Phytonutrients of any source on the planet. It is non-GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) and pesticide-free!

The Miracle Seed is gluten-free, trans-fat free, sugar-free, high in fiber and protein, has no taste or smell and can be deliciously combined with many foods! Its supreme biological properties are not diminished by heat in the cooking process, therefore making it easy to incorporate into your favorite recipes.

Mila™ is a mixture of Salvia hispanica L. seed which has been carefully selected to maximize its nutritional value. The mixture is mechanically processed using a proprietary system that optimizes the bioavailability and increases its nutritional value. Nothing is added to the product – it is a pure form of Salvia hispanica L. and is simply the best available today."

I actually bought seed from Salba, Lifemax, and Hidalgo, and it was identical across the board from an appearance and taste standpoint.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:13 am      Reply with quote
thanks for all the info, everyone!
bethany, i wasn't even aware that different kinds of seeds exist.
also, not concerned about that study because i, like you, am more excited about the seeds' nutritional profile and ability to hold water.
John, I'm glad you're here, too. please give us more knowledge about this seed! does it, like other omega-rich foods, go bad easily?
Is the best way to eat them, then, gelled or as dry seeds?
So confused.
I want to stay hydrated!!!!

--avalange

Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
thanks for all the info, everyone!
bethany, i wasn't even aware that different kinds of seeds exist.
also, not concerned about that study because i, like you, am more excited about the seeds' nutritional profile and ability to hold water.
John, I'm glad you're here, too. please give us more knowledge about this seed! does it, like other omega-rich foods, go bad easily?
Is the best way to eat them, then, gelled or as dry seeds?So confused.
I want to stay hydrated!!!!

--avalange

bumping cause I'd like to know too.
ishay
5% products discount

Tue May 11, 2010 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
this looks like delicious and a good try!
jjbeacham
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2010 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, all! Just wanted to add that I too love chia seeds, but this comment is about chia oil. My oncologist has had me start taking the oil softgels because of the excellent balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in the oil. It has been found to help stop certain cancers from metastasizing! Dr. R told me that anyone who is a candidate for a biopsy of any kind should begin on this oil immediately. I'm sure there's something on the internet about this for those interested. ~ JJ Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Hi, all! Just wanted to add that I too love chia seeds, but this comment is about chia oil. My oncologist has had me start taking the oil softgels because of the excellent balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 in the oil. It has been found to help stop certain cancers from metastasizing! Dr. R told me that anyone who is a candidate for a biopsy of any kind should begin on this oil immediately. I'm sure there's something on the internet about this for those interested. ~ JJ Very Happy

Did he also give you the option to just eat the seeds, or did he say the soft gels were a more concentrated option and you would have to eat far to much chia seed each day?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2010 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Beth - he didn't mention the Chia seeds, but he knew that I include them in my smoothies. From that, I gather that there is a higher concentration of linoleic acid in the oil capsules. Either that, or he felt that I would be sure to get the benefit every day by taking the oil caps. I don't make smoothies every single day and he's aware of that. I also bought the Chia Seed Diet capsules (mine are by Health Support) for the fiber and the energy boost they give. On the bottle, it says that Chia seeds are known as "Indian Running Food" and are known to increase strength and endurance. It is apparently well-known as a superfood. ~ JJ

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
jjbeacham wrote:
Hi, Beth - he didn't mention the Chia seeds, but he knew that I include them in my smoothies. From that, I gather that there is a higher concentration of linoleic acid in the oil capsules. Either that, or he felt that I would be sure to get the benefit every day by taking the oil caps. I don't make smoothies every single day and he's aware of that. I also bought the Chia Seed Diet capsules (mine are by Health Support) for the fiber and the energy boost they give. On the bottle, it says that Chia seeds are known as "Indian Running Food" and are known to increase strength and endurance. It is apparently well-known as a superfood. ~ JJ

I was just wondering why he would recommend a processed option instead of the whole food (with fiber intact). But the oil caps may indeed may be to ensure you consitently get enough every day.

BTW, I use ground chia seeds well beyond smoothies...I put it in almost everything I eat at home. (Ok, I drew the line at the brussel sprouts Very Happy ) And if I haven't had enough for the day (at least 3 tablespoons), I just drink it in plain water.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 15, 2010 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Recommending oil: It's probably due to the absorption ability.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |