Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
My hair never seems to grow 1 inch past shoulders
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I want long hair for once in my life. I am going to stay away from the chemical dyes and stick with henna (although I haven't bought this yet). I don't use heat styling on a daily basis, maybe 1-2 times a week. I have some Almond and Jojoba oil, also Rosemary EO. Can I put this in my hair to keep it healthy so that MAYBE I can have long hair? Should I try argan oil? I'm also taking Multivitamin, Vitamin C w/ Rosehips, Whole foods - Hair skin and nails with MSM.

My hair is fine so I'm gentle with it, and split ends have never been an issue since middle school.

Any ideas anyone?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Gaining Hair Length

Q: I've been trying to grow my hair out for a long, long time. I get it trimmed regularly to keep it healthy and remove split ends, but it seems like I've reached a "dead end" as far as gaining any more length. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to keep letting it go (and letting it grow)?

A: The maximum length to which you can grow your hair is basically a matter of genetics. Some people can grow thick, lustrous tresses that tickle their toes (like 70's country music star, Crystal Gayle), while still others find that getting their hair to grow past their shoulders is a Herculean task.

Human hair cycles through three stages:

The anagen phase, or growth phase, is when all new hair growth occurs. During the anagen phase, hair grows at its normal rate (an average of one-half inch per month), and 90% of the hairs on your head will be in the anagen phase at any given time. Each specific hair can be in the anagen phase for an average of three to five years, but it can last as long as ten years in some cases.

The catagen phase, a transitional phase that follows the anagen phase, signaling the end of the growth phase. During the catagen phase, the hair follicle contracts and detaches from the dermal papilla (where it gets its nutrients). The hair bulb disappears and the root end of the hair forms a rounded club. Less than 1% of the hair will be in the catagen phase at any given time, and this phase usually lasts one to two weeks.

The telogen phase is also known as the resting phase and is the last phase in the hair's growth cycle. The telogen phase lasts until the fully grown hair is shed. Hair that is in the telogen phase is usually shed during this phase, or after the start of the next anagen phase when it gets pushed out of the follicle.

10% of the hair of your head will be in the telogen phase, which can last from three to six months, usually. Once the telogen phase ends, the anagen phase of that follicle begins again. The whole cycle of hair growth - all three stages - repeat on an average of every four to five years.

This means that if your hair averages a four-year anagen phase, and you have your hair trimmed one-half inch every three months, you can expect your hair to grow four inches each year, or a total of sixteen inches before it reaches the catagen phase. The hair can appear considerably shorter if it has more than a minimum of wave or curl. Your head size, shape and your height all can make your hair appear shorter by comparison to someone else whose hair length measures identical to your own.

If you've been trying to grow your hair out for more than five years, you may have to consider that your hair just isn't predisposed to grow as long as you'd hoped. Otherwise, be patient for a while longer, and see if you can't get a few inches more.

http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/grow_hair_out.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Factors Affecting the Length of Hair Growth
Why Some People Can Grow Hair Longer Than Others
Mar 6, 2009 Sarah Tennant

Genetics, diet, vitamin supplements, hormones, hairstyles and haircare practices can all affect the terminal length of human hair and its rate of growth.

http://www.suite101.com/info.cfm/terms_conditions

[Admin: full copy of article removed due to copyright. Please check copyright before re-posting articles on EDS.]

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
great thread! thanks DM for the info.

my hair is knee length but i want to keep it healthy and lush. i have found that with age, it is less lush and a bit stringy.

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
In my teens I grew my hair below my waist. I cut off half an inch every other month which meant my hair grew six inches in one year. I had a friend who insisted she couldn't grow her hair long but she never trimmed it. It didn't look as healthy as mine even though hers was thicker. When I finally convinced her to have regular trims, the condition and length of her hair improved. Just anecdotal evidence.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
my hair is knee length but i want to keep it healthy and lush. i have found that with age, it is less lush and a bit stringy.

Your hair is knee length? Is that hard to deal with?
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
no not really hard....
you get used to it.

most of the time i twist around and around and use two large claws. my bangs and side hairs i keep wispy around my face.

i use a large toothed comb to comb out... and then use paddle brushes to massage my scalp (for treatment).

i use any shampoo... and use conditioners and leave it in... or use olive oil.

pple don't realize i have really long hair cuz i keep it up. only when i go out do i put it down.

when i'm at home it is down. when i sit i have to brush it to the side. when sleeping i place all of it at the top of my pillow. haven't strangled myself yet. its recommend for extremely long hair to braid it for sleep but i don't.

the only thing you have to worry about is getting it wrapped around your arm pits or laying down on the main shaft. then you got problems.

i'm just worried about when i get grey. how much product it'll take. Shock

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
OMG knee length. I can't imagine. Mine is in the middle of my back and Riley is right I'm so ready to cut it off to cute bob length - it's imminent Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy
hey sis,
i've been growing since i was 20 or so. when in universiry i just got lazy to get it cut. studying for exams and deadline, i ended up cutting my bangs only. then once a year i would get mum to cut the length. it always stayed between hip or knee length. i found it helpful to bunch it around my neck during the winter... to lazy to carry a scarf around... and always lose them.

i thought of cutting it...but realized in a few more years, with older age and thinning, i won't have that option. so i'll keep till i can.

don't cut yours. i love long lush hair!

did you ever realize... all my grandmothers, and other seniors all have they same hairdo... a big fluffy helmet? i'm keeping my hair till i get one of those. Very Happy

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I had mine down to my mid thigh from 13 until I cut it after my first child at about 1 month before I turned 27, my best friend couldn't get past waist length! We trimmed each others hair every month and did deep conditioning with heat caps weakly. Just our experience! She never could get as much length as I could. BTW we both used to put it up in a loose ponytail on the very top of our heads to sleep, it really made it easier than waking up tangled up in a ton of hair everywhere, including places I won't mention! Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
no not really hard....
you get used to it.

most of the time i twist around and around and use two large claws. my bangs and side hairs i keep wispy around my face.

i use a large toothed comb to comb out... and then use paddle brushes to massage my scalp (for treatment).

i use any shampoo... and use conditioners and leave it in... or use olive oil.

pple don't realize i have really long hair cuz i keep it up. only when i go out do i put it down.

when i'm at home it is down. when i sit i have to brush it to the side. when sleeping i place all of it at the top of my pillow. haven't strangled myself yet. its recommend for extremely long hair to braid it for sleep but i don't.

the only thing you have to worry about is getting it wrapped around your arm pits or laying down on the main shaft. then you got problems.

i'm just worried about when i get grey. how much product it'll take. Shock

That is so interesting, llina! That's cute about not getting it wrapped around your arm pits! Laughing I would think it would be very heavy (especially keeping it up)? Silly question, but how much shampoo and conditioner do you go through?
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
oh rileygirl,
i know i probably sound like a freak on EDS posting like a maniac... and all the product talk... but i do love EDS and love all this girly stuff. my life is mostly men, and being on a mostly women or woman related forum is a blessing and relief to me. really.

i have a huge cupboard near my bedroom that i keep filled with shampoo and shower related products. i go through alot of hair products...but i think this is also, that i'm a soap/bubble freak.

llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I had mine down to my mid thigh from 13 until I cut it after my first child at about 1 month before I turned 27, my best friend couldn't get past waist length! We trimmed each others hair every month and did deep conditioning with heat caps weakly. Just our experience! She never could get as much length as I could. BTW we both used to put it up in a loose ponytail on the very top of our heads to sleep, it really made it easier than waking up tangled up in a ton of hair everywhere, including places I won't mention! Smile

DM

Laughing Laughing Laughing
its sooo true. Laughing Laughing Laughing

like after a shower. *sorry don't want to gross anyone out* you keep all your hair to the back to shampoo and rinse. i think it has a habit of wedging itself between *stuff* how the heck do you do your fancy artwork DM?

and once after a nice shower, i was having a romantic moment but had to pause... to jump around with my hands in my underwear trying to find hiding hair that was tickling me.Embarassed

oh god, not a sexy move!

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
llina,
Been there done that! LOL
Just for you, keeping your hair out of here (_•_) ?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
llina,

hahhaha ogigignsdng

oh god you kill me!
love ya! Very Happy

llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
god i can't stop looking at my bum. it looks so nice and rounded
hseheehwehehhahha

o god, can we get in trouble for this? Laughing

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
Well Babydoll we are easily entertained! Smile

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
sorry sandra. we're turning this into a bum thread.

k, now i'm going to behave like a properly lady.

happy hair growing! good luck!

llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Well Babydoll we are easily entertained! Smile

DM

i know! i'm so juvenile! and you just indulge me.
k, naughty girl is going to bed.
*kisses*

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
I always admire women with chic well-done hair - not the helmut stuff though Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:11 am      Reply with quote
i agree, mum is 68 and she has a very edgy angular bob that is stunning on her. the woman still grows hair profusely and effortlessly.

DM, anyother other tips to grow thick healthy hair? any supplements or foods and such?

right now i'm getting good results with revitalash hair, paddle brushing and massaging my scalp each night, and with a use of a shiatsu massage pillow, but love to add to my routine. TIA!

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:34 am      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
oh rileygirl,
i know i probably sound like a freak on EDS posting like a maniac

Nope, not a freak, but maybe a productho?? Laughing (This is 99.9% of the people on EDS by the way!!)
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
llina,

Hilarious! I think I will keep my hair above that area. Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
llina,

Hilarious! I think I will keep my hair above that area. Laughing

You would be surprised at the places I found hair! Smile As far as shampoo and conditioner that was always a major investment, you know how the conditioner always seems to run out before the shampoo, well I got in the habit of buying 2 conditioners for each shampoo!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

You would be surprised at the places I found hair! Smile As far as shampoo and conditioner that was always a major investment, you know how the conditioner always seems to run out before the shampoo, well I got in the habit of buying 2 conditioners for each shampoo!

DM

Too funny!

Yes, why is it that the conditioners always run out way before the shampoo? I guess we are using a ton more conditioner than I realize?

It certainly sounds as though it would be pretty expensive, depending on ones taste in shampoos and conditioners!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |