Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

how often should you use retin-a after a year or so
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
after using retin-a for longer than a year, do you still need to use it everynight? i read some articles saying that using it once per 3 nights has exactly same result as using it every night, because after applying, retin-a stays in the skin for a long time.

what do u guys do? I love the result retin-a giving me and so scared to stop using it even one night......
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I am the opposite. I started by wearing it for a couple of hours and left it at that for a few years and it is just now that I am allowed to wear it overnight.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Retin-A and Renova for 8 years. I use it every other night but I can use it nightly if I want to. I use every other night mainly because I like to use other products on the alternate nights.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
After using Retin A for a year I went to every other night application.
I have kept the same benefits as with nightly use.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, most of the studies have people going down to 3 times a week, which is pretty much every other day.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Its such a difficult question to answer, because it depends on the person's goals, how much damage they have to begin with etc. I have read that suggestion about 3 times a week, but never found it worked for me that well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I am for every night, but with falling asleep in the middle of my routine, I estimate I'm getting about 4 to 5 nights a weeks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 am      Reply with quote
I remember reading that the half life of retin-a is only about 2 hours. Its significantly longer for tazorac, something like 20 hours.

I think you need to experiment to see what works for your skin. Every other day may work fine for you or may find that you do need it more often.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:38 am      Reply with quote
After a couple of decades of using RA, I was surprised when my new Dermatologist suggested that to get the full benefit, I should use it every single night (of course I don't.) I was shocked. In addition he recommended applying a layer of Cerave after an hour, which was also counter to everything I've believed about using it....(which is not mixing it with any other products.)

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 am      Reply with quote
I've never used retin-a as an every night regime. Currently I rotate with CP's. And I always put something over the retin-a about an hour later.

There always seems to be a difference of opinion among the Docs as to what is effective no matter what you are discussing. I suppose it depends upon age, condition of skin, (etc, etc) like every other skin care product we try. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 am      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
After a couple of decades of using RA, I was surprised when my new Dermatologist suggested that to get the full benefit, I should use it every single night (of course I don't.) I was shocked. In addition he recommended applying a layer of Cerave after an hour, which was also counter to everything I've believed about using it....(which is not mixing it with any other products.)

That is interesting, mountaingirl. Did you happen to ask if there are new studies out that show after 1 year you need to use it every night? I am curious about that, and I don't think there has been anything new come out as far as the studies. The safety of nightly use of RA hasn't been studied past 4 years, I believe that was the longest study, but most of the studies were 2 years long. I would definitely be curious to hear his opinion on why nightly use after a certain period of time!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

That is interesting, mountaingirl. Did you happen to ask if there are new studies out that show after 1 year you need to use it every night? I am curious about that, and I don't think there has been anything new come out as far as the studies. The safety of nightly use of RA hasn't been studied past 4 years, I believe that was the longest study, but most of the studies were 2 years long. I would definitely be curious to hear his opinion on why nightly use after a certain period of time!

Me too.

A little story: I have a friend who's husband is a plastic surgeon - cosmetic only with a booming practice (Boy does she always look good Laughing P.) the interesting part is He does not recommend retin a for anti-aging (acne only). I find that so odd. The last time I was with her I had been using the .1% retin a and had some flaking. She asked me why I use "that stuff". I mentioned retnoids as the gold standard in anti-aging and she was having none of it. Still shaking my head over that one. It seemed so dark ages.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Well if your derm's suggested it, it might be worth trying. Trouble with Retin A is that everybody's skin is different and wil react differently, so its impossible in my mind to make a recommendation that will be set in stone. Even the using every other night won't work for everyone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
the interesting part is He does not recommend retin a for anti-aging (acne only). I find that so odd.

You know, I actually read that in one of my books. I cannot remember which one, but they authors stated that there were newer and better things than Retin A when it came to anti-aging! I will have to dig around and see if I can find which book that was in (it was definitely not a textbook).
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Its not that odd really when you consider it was developed for treating acne, but the lovely side benefits were that they noticed it was helping photo damaged skin. Its anti aging benefits were never the primary focus of the study, but were a lovely side effect that was noticed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
sister sweets wrote:
the interesting part is He does not recommend retin a for anti-aging (acne only). I find that so odd.

You know, I actually read that in one of my books. I cannot remember which one, but they authors stated that there were newer and better things than Retin A when it came to anti-aging! I will have to dig around and see if I can find which book that was in (it was definitely not a textbook).

Riley, does the book suggest what are the newer and better things than RA for anti-aging?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:

Riley, does the book suggest what are the newer and better things than RA for anti-aging?

brierrose, I believe it was talking about peptides, etc., but I'm trying to find the book where I read that! I'll let you know what it says when I find which one it was in!
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:28 am      Reply with quote
I haven't totally decided what I may do with Retin-a after a year...I am coming up on a year of nightly use next month and it has been a god send for me. I've just started within the last few weeks throwing in a night without retin-a and using an oil like avocado or rosehip by itself. I will probably continue to alternate every night with the oils and retin-a. One thing is for sure, I wont ever give up the retin Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:48 am      Reply with quote
HI Brierrose - I recall that also - I remember a post a while back with the newer recommendations for anti-aging and a link to an article. One of the recs was niacinimide - pretty sure and peptides.

I don't think this doc is recommending any new stuff either - sadly. Sad I think he's missing the boat with all the clients he has.

The other p.s. a half hour away has a full range of Jan Marini and Skinceuticals and supplements plus a staff or estheticians. I started my skincare adventure there about 4 years ago with my first microdermabrasion and never looked back.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:

Ok, here you go brierrose. Found the book. It is Beverly Hills Beauty Secrets by Douglas Hamilton, M.D., and Babak Azizzadeh, M.D. They say about the Retin A and TNS Growth Factor (Both of which I am using!!) that these "no longer pass muster" in their clinical opinions. In this book, they recommend for Reperative: Neostrata, RevalveSkin, Tri-Luma, and 302 protein drops (only for the neck and chest according to this book). For Preventative: Neova copper peptides, Nia24, Replenix, Citrix vitamin C, and Persimmon leaf (along with broad-spectrum sunscreen, of course). These doctors feel that the above products that I listed "surpass" Retin A. (I do not agree with them, and I still believe Retin A is the only thing proven topical.)
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I sure don't have experience with all those products they recommended, but soooooooo many of us are living, breathing examples that RETIN A WORKS! It transformed my horribly sundamaged skin after years and years as a tanorexic in Miami. I'm open to trying anything that comes close, but I sure haven't heard about any one thing yet.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
I remember Riley - it was the reason I checked out NIA 24, but decided against that route.

You might appreciate the following article. As it turns out, the proof is truly in the pudding. Retinol is, in fact, The Fountain of Youth! In a 2007 study performed at the University of Michigan, it was concluded that use of creams containing Retinol reversed aging skin. According to Dr. John Voorhees, MD, the Duncan and Ella Poth Distinguished professor and Chair of the Department of Dermatology at the University Medical School:

"In the past, it was everyone believed that retinoids would treat only photoaging, or damage from exposure to sun. This is the first systematic, double-blind study showing that it improves any kind of aging – photoaging, as well as natural aging… you can rub it anywhere, and it will help to treat the signs of aging."

The reduction of wrinkles among the study's participants was due to increased collagen production and a significant induction of glycosaminoglycans, which are known to retain large quantities of water. In general, aging skin tends to be thinner, laxer and more prone to fine wrinkles than young skin.
Click here to read more from this enlightening study about the effects of Retinol on aging skin and to see before and after photos.

http://www.med.umich.edu/opm/newspage/2007/retinol.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I remember Riley - it was the reason I checked out NIA 24, but decided against that route.

You might appreciate the following article. As it turns out, the proof is truly in the pudding. Retinol is, in fact, The Fountain of Youth! In a 2007 study performed at the University of Michigan, it was concluded that use of creams containing Retinol reversed aging skin. According to Dr. John Voorhees, MD, the Duncan and Ella Poth Distinguished professor and Chair of the Department of Dermatology at the University Medical School:

"In the past, it was everyone believed that retinoids would treat only photoaging, or damage from exposure to sun. This is the first systematic, double-blind study showing that it improves any kind of aging – photoaging, as well as natural aging… you can rub it anywhere, and it will help to treat the signs of aging."

The reduction of wrinkles among the study's participants was due to increased collagen production and a significant induction of glycosaminoglycans, which are known to retain large quantities of water. In general, aging skin tends to be thinner, laxer and more prone to fine wrinkles than young skin.
Click here to read more from this enlightening study about the effects of Retinol on aging skin and to see before and after photos.

cry, why it does not help my under eye area!!!
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

If you wish to read the complete study, you can find it here:

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/143/5/606

However, this study was for a lotion containing 0.4% retinol, which is not the active ingredient in Retin-A (which would be tretinoin AKA all-trans retinoic acid).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
hellenzqq wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

cry, why it does not help my under eye area!!!

give it time - how long have you been using it under your eyes?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |