Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can Retin A cause discoloration/hyperpigmentation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all:

I've searched for a topic on this and didn't find anything regarding Retin A CAUSING hyperpigmentation/dark spots. I've started using Retin A micro every day and initially it got really red and tight and now it is leaving behind dark marks/spots? Can Retin A cause hyperpigmentation? It this temporary or have I caused some real damage? I was using the Retin A on my laugh lines in hopes that the lines would diminish a bit.

I have been diligent about sunscreen. Please help.
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
i have been using retin-a 0.1% for more than 2 years, i do not think it causes any hyperpigmentation/dark spots.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I never thought Retin A CAUSED hyperpigmention, but...it can make a person more PRONE to it if they don't use sunscreen outdoors.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
As with any skin lightening or exfoliation product, your dark spots could appear darker when you are initially using it because the skin around it gets relatively more lightened in tone before the dark spots. Therefore the contrast between normal and pigmented skin appears to be more obvious. However, do make sure that you are using adequate sun protection (high SPF and PPD sunscreen and using 1.25mls or quarter teaspoonful amount for your face. If you are not sure of the amount, please get a measuring spoon to check on this. A lot of people underestimate the amount of sunblock they must apply to get the full protection of the sunscreen.
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 am      Reply with quote
thanks. so its the darker parts appearing dark in contrast to the lighter skin? But I dont think the Retin A has lightened my skin at all. Its just certain parts have now become dark when they werent dark before. at first my face was red, then certain parts have turned dark. Is this inflammation too? Will it subside?

Thank you for the sunscreen amount. I need to remember to overdue it and not underdue it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:37 am      Reply with quote
You may find this helpful!

http://www.askdocweb.com/retin-a14.html

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Peggotty wrote:
thanks. so its the darker parts appearing dark in contrast to the lighter skin? But I dont think the Retin A has lightened my skin at all. Its just certain parts have now become dark when they werent dark before. at first my face was red, then certain parts have turned dark. Is this inflammation too? Will it subside?

Thank you for the sunscreen amount. I need to remember to overdue it and not underdue it.

It's best to consult your dermatologist who prescribed you the product. Let him/her take a look at your skin. That would be an objective assessment. If you stare at your dark spots every day and they don't fade as quickly as you expect, you would have a tendency to think that they are darker than they actually are. Why don't you take some photos so that you can compare the spots as the treatment progresses?

But generally, with a product that causes exfoliation, the dark spots would appear darker in the early stages of treatment due to the uppermost layers of the skin being exfoliated off, thus the pigment underneath would seem to be darker because there's less layers of skin cells over it.
Peggotty
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 am      Reply with quote
thanks!
ana deandrade

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Peggy,

Please let me know how you made out on this..with your discoloration. I just started using retin a and think I may be finding that i'm getting more pigmentation. I've been on it for a month now. Am really curious to hear how you made out.
THanks!
Ana

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:55 am      Reply with quote
If you go on acne.org forums, a lot of their members have experienced hyperpigmentation and discoloration with Retin-A
cheysuli
5% products discount

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Ana and Peggy, what happened with the pigmentation? I too started using Retin A about 5 weeks ago on my hands and chest to get rid of brown spots. the hands are fine, maybe see a bit of fading of the spots, but the chest has gotten worse. there seems to be more pigmentation than before. not exactly the typical "age spots" but more like small areas of brown pigmentation. did you continue with the retin a? pls let me know what happened. I have read a few places that the under layers of pigmentation can first be exposed so it looks worse but that eventually that will exfoliate and the skin will be clear. but i have also read numerous posts that more brown spots appeared. much appreciate your feedback!!!
India27

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I am glad that I found this because I have also been searching the web for people who have noticed that retinol products cause more spots on their skin. The dermatologist says I have melasma, but I don't agree. My skin was fine up until last year when I started using AHA and retinol products on my face. I suddenly developed a big brown spot on one cheek and a smaller one on the other. I was put on hydroquinone and tretinoin and they started getting MUCH darker so I discontnued both. I have gotten a few light lactic acid peels and they helped a bit and I've been very diligent about sunscreen application, but then I noticed that I was getting MORE spots, quite rapidly. I looked into all the new products I was using and realized that my foundation had retinyl palmitate and my sunscreen had sodium lactate, AHA and Retinol!!!!! Arrrgh! I just ordered very basic products to see if these spots will finally start fading. I definitely believe what has ruined my skin is the fact that these products cause extreme sun sensitivity in my skin and have made more spots appear.

PS - Although the light peels I get have lactic acid, I only do it on the spots and not frequently and always use extra sunscreen for a while afterwards. But the products I was using on a daily basis had AHA and Retinol.
cheysuli
5% products discount

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
India, I believe the Retin A caused me to have 2 times as much brown spots on my chest as before. Odd thing is, it did not do this on my hands. the spots seem to be fading on my hands. but on the chest it got much worse. I stopped a while ago and now am trying liquid nitrogen (freezing) by my dermatologist to get rid of the spots on the chest. still waiting to see the results. people should really be warned about Retin A. and the notion that it brings out out more spots from under layers before it clears the spots.....is b.s.!!!
please post as to how the peels are working!
India27

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Cheysuli, I totally agree with you. I think it depends on how your skin reacts to it; apparently for some people it works, for me it's created a mess on my face. I used to have zero hyperpigmentation issues, and after using retinol products (and also some AHA products) I'm having this problem. I couldn't understand why I was getting new spots "overnight" because I'm being so good about sunscreen and avoiding the sun and that's when I decided to take a closer look at the ingredients in the new makeup I was using (Cargo Onebase, which I was using to cover up the spots!) and that's when I noticed it has retinyl palmitate, a form of retinol which, by the way, is possibly linked to skin cancer according to some experts. Then I decided to take a closer look at my sunscreen (Dermaquest ZinClear)and it has sodium lactate and AHA's also make your skin more sun sensitive! Why they would put ingredients that can cause sun sensitivity in a sunscreen is beyond me. So I just ordered new sunscreen/makeup, made sure to take a close look at the ingredients and I'm hoping my new spots will begin to fade. I am going for another light peel next week, I will let you know if they're improving.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Make sure to use sunscreen daily, otherwise you do risk your pigmentation issues getting worse.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |