Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Website where strangers can guess your age
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I seem to recall finding a couple of these sites by accident a few years ago but don't remember where or why. There was a way you could post your photo anonymously and then when people logged on they guessed your age. As time went on, you'd see the average age go up or down. One site even had a "looks great for her age" and "looks bad for her age" winners.

I think that is the only way to get a true gauge of how old you look. Friends will ALWAYS LIE!
SilverMoon

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Can't help you with a website, but don't forget pictures don't always seem to capture how someone really looks. I've seen many pictures where someone looks horrible, but that same person looks great in real life and vice versa.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
A couple I found are guessmyage.net and matchage.com. It sounds fun but I think I could be depressed very quickly.
murray28
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
SilverMoon wrote:
Can't help you with a website, but don't forget pictures don't always seem to capture how someone really looks. I've seen many pictures where someone looks horrible, but that same person looks great in real life and vice versa.

I second that sentiment! I happen to take awful, horrible photos (I haven't mastered the art of "lighting" - and in fact, as a totally guilty pleasure and I know I'm way too old for this but ... confession: I watch America's Next Top Model. And laugh at it, because most of the time I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what they are talking about. Lighting, posing, good pictures, bad pictures ... they all just look pretty to me!).

Whew! Anyways, here's a story: I was out of town when my roommate starting dating a new girl. She had been over to my house quite a few times while I was gone, and there are pictures of me, my family and my friends all over the place. When I finally met her in person, she didn't show any signs of recognition. When my roommate said, "this is murray, the woman that I live with; I've shown you pictures of her," she sputtered, "but you're pretty!". Laughing
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
A couple I found are guessmyage.net and matchage.com. It sounds fun but I think I could be depressed very quickly.

Oh, my. I am so with you Skippie. I think I would also be afraid of peoples answers!! Laughing

Murray28, that is a great compliment. At least you know you look great in person! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
SilverMoon wrote:

Not saying I look great in person but boy can I relate I am one of those people who the camera has always hated LOL Just never take a decent picture!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

Add me to that crew along with Riley! I just don't think I would want to do that! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I asked the girl at the makeup counter how old did she thought I was when she was testing some makeup on my face. I figured she does not know me and she is getting a really close look at my skin so the answer should be fairly unbiased. I did this twice at two diff. makeup counters. Both girls gave almost identical answers. I was wearing my glasses and did not have very much makeup on but to my relief the answer was so much better than what I expected! I felt like I was walking on a cloud all day!
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 am      Reply with quote
http://www.guessmyage.net

I found this one and I too remember other sites. Oh it would be such a burn to find yourself on the "worst for your age". My friend and I put up a photo of her on Halloween dressed as Johnny Depp on hot or not. I think she had a 5 rating. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 am      Reply with quote
No way am I doing this - its asking for trouble. I would be suicidal afterwards I'm sure. Laughing
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm terrible at guessing people's ages and I imagine I'm not the only person who is. I always try to guess lower if someone asks me, though, because I don't want to hurt their feelings.

I went on guessmyage.net and tried some guesses. Most of the averages were above the person's actually age.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Imagine if we were to start a thread like that on EDS!! It would cause mayhem, people would be freaking out all over the place! Everyone would be lining up for courses on how to master Photoshop. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 am      Reply with quote
callalily wrote:
http://www.guessmyage.net

I found this one and I too remember other sites. Oh it would be such a burn to find yourself on the "worst for your age". My friend and I put up a photo of her on Halloween dressed as Johnny Depp on hot or not. I think she had a 5 rating. Laughing

Oh my, I remember "Hot or Not"!!! The thing to keep in mind with these websites is they are inherently flawed ... there will always be that group of people that labels the young ones as looking old or the older ones as looking young, just to "throw off the system". To be jerks, really.

I know from first hand experience - my brothers used to do the same thing on the "hot or not" site. When I said that they were being cruel, they responded by saying that anyone who would post their picture on a site like that either has terrific self esteem and can laugh anything off, or has the lowest level of self-esteem possible and if it's not getting a poor rating on a website, it'd be something else (the mailman looking at them funny, for example) that would send their spirits into a tailspin. Boys. Jeez. Confused
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I agree that pictures can be very deceiving. It can only really work when someone sees you in person.

You would be surprised how many famous people who look great in films & photos, are unrecognizable in person. That is what the paparazzi is for. To point it out for us.

The overall silhouette & demeanor is what helps to determine a persons look & perceivable age.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:07 am      Reply with quote
I happened to get carded several times back in '08 (after starting using CPs in March of that year). I was surprised at the request to show my ID and when I asked why, their response was they HAD to do it if the person looked younger than 35. (I turned 50 that year). Another time a younger guy was hitting on me and also thought I was in my 30's.

I got nothing like that last year w/ my disasterous looking skin (from stopping retinoids, acids and my CPs and trying a new skin care line). I've now gone back to using the CPs and retinoids (after dropping that line) and have added a couple of gadgets to boot.

Here's to hoping 2010 brings back my good skin from '08!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
I happened to get carded several times back in '08 (after starting using CPs in March of that year). I was surprised at the request to show my ID and when I asked why, their response was they HAD to do it if the person looked younger than 35. (I turned 50 that year). Another time a younger guy was hitting on me and also thought I was in my 30's.

I got nothing like that last year w/ my disasterous looking skin (from stopping retinoids, acids and my CPs and trying a new skin care line). I've now gone back to using the CPs and retinoids (after dropping that line) and have added a couple of gadgets to boot.

Here's to hoping 2010 brings back my good skin from '08!!

That is a good story Foxe. What made you sway so drastically? Was it just that the grass may be greener on the other side? Too bad you lost a whole year.

CPs while not the most glamorous products, deliver wonderful long-term anti-aging results. Like anything though, you need to continue to use them. Packaging, smell & overpriced promises are often what reel us in. But that belongs on another thread.

I am sure, now that you are back on track with CPs that you will be attracting the young guys again or will at least get carded. For me, aside from high school, I have always attracted older men. As long as we are attracting something, right? Laughing

Isn't it funny, that when we are young we want to look older. And as we get older we want to look younger. Human nature, I suppose?

But as my Mother always taught me, "Keep 'em guessin', Honey"! Wink
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
star model - I swayed away from CPs to try a diff skin care line supposedly geared for acne. I had been getting a few blemishes occassionally when I tried rolling in the later half of '08(rolling bloomed new blemishes from a single one - drat!!). My skin could never stay completely clear, so I had hoped trying something new would clear it up completely. I needed to stop using any other products (Retin A, CPs, Acids)while trying it. I gave it 6 mos with no luck and it took another 6 to clear my skin (and that took antibiotics and going back on Retin A and CPs along w/ Dermawand) It's almost clear enuf that I'm seriously considering getting out my old dermaroller!

Quote:
As long as we are attracting something, right?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Quote:
But as my Mother always taught me, "Keep 'em guessin', Honey"!

I kept one guessing yesterday at a super bowl party - LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Imagine if we were to start a thread like that on EDS!! It would cause mayhem, people would be freaking out all over the place! Everyone would be lining up for courses on how to master Photoshop. Laughing

I can't see too many people participating in that thread, but it would be the top watched thread of all! Laughing
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
That guessmyage.net website was bizarre. You have to agree that they can use your photo any way they want and you have to PAY to remove it! Forget that one.
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Here is a link I came across that shows how deceiving photos can be. Many of the celebs not only look unrecognizable in their before & after shots because of their masterfully applied makeup, but then there is Photoshop.

This is what skilled Makeup, Lighting & Photoshop can do. Also, in the photos with no makeup, you can really see those who have had procedures done. They look very obvious & alien-like. The older they get, the worse they will look when the makeup comes off.

Look: Like Night & Day!
http://seehere.blogspot.com/2006/08/celebrities-without-makeup.html
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:

I can't see too many people participating in that thread, but it would be the top watched thread of all! Laughing

LOL you gals have that right! That's a recipe for disaster around here, but we would all be watching like hawks! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
The matchage.com website is also strange. I didn't bother even guessing the guy's age because seems to me I've seen that face in ads. There was also no information to login or post a photo. I think these two sites, at least, are just ways to plant cookies on your computer. I deleted the cookie for guessmyage.net. I didn't see one for matchage.
annesun
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

cute, i think it a great idea Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Star Model wrote:
Look: Like Night & Day!
http://seehere.blogspot.com/2006/08/celebrities-without-makeup.html

I love looking at this stuff!!! Cheers me up!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:05 am      Reply with quote
What an interesting thread. I have to agree that photos don't always give an accurate picture. My photos have a tremendous range from look what the cat dragged in, to wow that's hot! (and probably neither is accurate). DH also has a special gift. He can add 30 years to my age in his photographs, I swear it's grounds for divorce.

I would not want to post my photos for strangers to rate. (It's different here where the members post to show the results of their skincare, they are being helpful).

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |