Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Do MSM supplements really erase lines or wrinkles?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
insomniaisagingmeearly
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:53 am      Reply with quote
I've read a lot lately about how msm can help wrinkles and lines. Does anyone take MSM regularly? Can you really contribute the supplement to getting rid of your age spots, or truly lessening your wrinkles or lines?

If so, PLEASE share your story with me. If it helped you, how much msm do you take? What form-powder or pill? How often daily? Do you take it alone or combine with another supplement? When did you notice it started making a difference? Does anyone have before and after pics- that would be awesome!!

Thank you SO much! I am only 27 yrs old. A year ago, I looked 17...now I look 40 from the immense aging I've had in the last year from insomnia. Looking to get my life back. Any other tips gladly welcome. Smile
havana8

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Here are a few threads that might interest you:

MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20364

MSM and its benefits - please share your experience
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=36633

HTHs. Smile
txgirl
5% products discount

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I was taking it at night, but I started to have a lot of trouble falling asleep so I stopped. I wonder if this is a common side effect? Insomina was listed, but I want to start taking it again; maybe in the AM.
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
insomniaisagingmeearly wrote:
I've read a lot lately about how msm can help wrinkles and lines. Does anyone take MSM regularly? Can you really contribute the supplement to getting rid of your age spots, or truly lessening your wrinkles or lines?

If so, PLEASE share your story with me. If it helped you, how much msm do you take? What form-powder or pill? How often daily? Do you take it alone or combine with another supplement? When did you notice it started making a difference? Does anyone have before and after pics- that would be awesome!!

Thank you SO much! I am only 27 yrs old. A year ago, I looked 17...now I look 40 from the immense aging I've had in the last year from insomnia. Looking to get my life back. Any other tips gladly welcome. Smile

Welcome, and I'm so sorry to hear about your insomnia. My DH has a bad case, so I know what a living nightmare it can be. I have been taking 100mg of MSM and 500mg of Vitamin C (heard you should take the two together) for a few months. I can't say I've noticed anything different, and I am doing so many new things (dermarolling, the Anti_Aging Light Stim and new facial products). I think it's worth a try,
though, and hopefully others can share results if they've had any. A while back, I had a lot of red dots (scars I guess) on my legs from electrolysis. I made a concoction of equal parts of Vitamin E oil, Emu Oil, Rosehip Oil, and MSM cream, and the dots have faded. It could have been the MSM cream???
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've used MSM... my biggest improvements came in the form of reduced pain in joints.

Have you been able to get your insomnia under control? I've heard it is awful. I could sleep for years but I'm often kept awake by children... so similar but not quite the same at ALL! I know.

Without getting that under control, I don't think you can get a valid result from just about any treatment. Sleep, as you know is a KEY variable in all realms of health and beauty.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Breezy, you mean 1000 mg MSM? And if it is 1000 mg, I think that is pretty low dosage.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
txgirl wrote:
I was taking it at night, but I started to have a lot of trouble falling asleep so I stopped. I wonder if this is a common side effect? Insomina was listed, but I want to start taking it again; maybe in the AM.

I did read it somewhere that if you take MSM later in the day it can cause insomnia...better to take in a.m.

insomniaisagingmeearly, I've used MSM off & on for a couple of years now for my joints (I had torn cartiledge) & it helps with that. A side benefit I noticed was more lustrous hair but never noticed anything with my skin.
Something that has helped me with occasional insomnia is Melatonin which you can purchase in a health food store. You have to be careful not to use too much though as it can then have opposite effect. HTH
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I take MSM is crystal form (which I mix with Vit C powder) and take a high dose of 8,000mg or more a day.

I do so much for my skin...that I cannot say how much the MSM specifically has helped. I can say it has NOT helped my pigmentation issues at all.
My face skin is certainly way better than it was years ago.

For some reason I totally beleive in taking MSM and it is the one thing I have stuck with taking. I think that the fact that I WANT to take it, despite its vile taste, is worth something.

I buy 99% pure MSM on ebay very very cheaply.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I take 1500mg of MSM twice a day, so 3000mg total per day. I use the pill form and have taken it for about 6 months. Can't say it's really had any effect one way or the other. It can be upset your stomach, so it's best to start slow and gradually increase the amount.

Best of luck on your insomnia. I hope you find something that works for the insomnia and I believe that'll help your skin more than MSM.
breezy42
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
*mirjana* wrote:
Breezy, you mean 1000 mg MSM? And if it is 1000 mg, I think that is pretty low dosage.

Mirjana, Yes, only 1000mg. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing more results on my face Embarassed I wasn't sure how much I should take, so I was just trying to play it safe. After reading the posts, it looks like everyone's taking 3000 to 8000mg a day. I think I'll increase it to 3000mg, and see if I notice anything. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.Smile
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
breezy42 wrote:
insomniaisagingmeearly wrote:

Welcome, and I'm so sorry to hear about your insomnia. My DH has a bad case, so I know what a living nightmare it can be. I have been taking 100mg of MSM and 500mg of Vitamin C (heard you should take the two together) for a few months. I can't say I've noticed anything different, and I am doing so many new things (dermarolling, the Anti_Aging Light Stim and new facial products). I think it's worth a try,
though, and hopefully others can share results if they've had any. A while back, I had a lot of red dots (scars I guess) on my legs from electrolysis. I made a concoction of equal parts of Vitamin E oil, Emu Oil, Rosehip Oil, and MSM cream, and the dots have faded. It could have been the MSM cream???

It would probably be a mixture of the emu oil, rosehip oil, and msm cream that helped. MSM is very healing.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
My original purpose for taking MSM was hair, nails and skin and the benefit I really notice is in my joints. Although I do believe my hair is growing faster. I take MSM in a powdered for in water with biosil - Now THAT is nasty tasting but I throw it back quick.

I probably take about 3000+ mg/day and 10 drops total of Biosil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
I feel for you, insomniaisagingmeearly. I suffer badly from insomnia, barely a week passes when I don't have a bad night (or a few)!

I've tried subliminal recordings (they put me to sleep but I wake up after a while), EFT programs and NLP techniques (working on those options). At least with the internet there's lots of help out there.

As for MSM, I take a tablespoon mixed in with a dissolvable vitamin C tablet in the am. NO WAY do I want something else to affect my sleeping! One thing that really helps brighten my grey skin (from a bad night) is my LED. The vaculifter and dermawand bring a bit of life to my skin too. I hope you find a solution.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
I take melatonin and that has helped me tremendously with insomnia. I like the subliminal one that is orange flavor. I put it under my tongue and I am asleep before it dissolves. MSM made me very anxious that is why I stopped taking it.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I had no idea that MSM could incite insomnia but glad to know. I guess don't use after 6 pm.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I've been using a body moisturiser with 15% MSM and, although it's early days, I rather like it so far. Not 100% sure, but I think it *might* be giving a bit of a firming effect. On the other hand, have been using a (different) 15% MSM moisturiser on my face, but haven't noticed any firming in that area, sadly...
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of the experts say that both Vit C and MSM are used in skin remodelling internally by the body, so I imagine it would have some effect. I got some and they were too big pills for me to swallow and I didn't notice any change so dumped them after a month. Bad Grin
semolinapilchard
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
yeah apparently msm is not snooze-friendly. i take it every night and must admit it's not super easy falling asleep.

anyway, i've taken between 1 and anywhere from 2-4 g a day for well over a year and honestly, no, can't say i've seen any change in the fine lines dept. some slight improvement in overall texture/firmness, maybe.

i do believe though i've seen a big difference in how i heal when i take extra msm and use msm lotion. (referring to breakouts) and whoever mentioned topical msm having a slight firming effect, i feel the same. the brand i'm using now (have only tried a couple) makes my skin feel awesome. so i do think it's a beneficial supplement, just not a wrinkle reducer in my case.
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if it's helped my skin, but it definitely helps with recovery after weight training, at least for me. If I don't take it after training, the next day I'm super sore.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I used MSM years ago when I first started on Perricone, seemed to help. I was younger then. Am on it again now, hoping it will help. It does seem to be good for constipation.
I believe it's helpful. At the very least it's not a supplement that causes any kind of harm... Have not noticed the insomnia connection. I might go take my dose now.
bren21
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Can someone tell me how many mg's of MSM per gram? I haven't a clue mg wise how much I take daily. I usually do a teaspoon a day and I think there's about 2.5 grams in a half a teaspoon...so 5 grams daily total....

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 am      Reply with quote
bren21 wrote:
Can someone tell me how many mg's of MSM per gram? I haven't a clue mg wise how much I take daily. I usually do a teaspoon a day and I think there's about 2.5 grams in a half a teaspoon...so 5 grams daily total....

I learned this shortcut in 8th grade...

King Midas Had Many Daring Armored Men My Dear Mother Called Me Monday Morning

Stands for km hm dam m dm cm mm

Now since we are talking grams, just change the "m's" to "g's"
kg hg dag g dg cg mg

How many mg per 1g? Put your finger (or eyes) on the g. You have to move 3 places to the right to get to the mg. Therefore, 1g plus 3 decimal movements to the right would be 1 with 3 zeros behind it AKA 1000 mg.
If you're taking 5g, then you're taking 5000mg

It's good to know this. Great shortcut I've had to use many times in life.

About MSM. I took it a few times, made me nauseous so I stopped. I was only taking 300mg, I'd hate to imagine how I'd feel taking 3000mg! I may try the topical.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Ha ha! Thanks for that Laughing

I can't believe I've been taking that much, and I usually do the teaspoon in the am at one time. Luckily I haven't had any stomach reactions, but I have been taking MSM over a year now.

If you are looking for a topical MSM, I use that too and love it. The brand I like best is Born Again MSM and Vitamin E cream...I love the way it goes on, very matte in appearance and not greasy. Leaves my skin feeling great...cheap too on vitacost.com Very Happy

Female: 42...Fair/Dry...Brown Hair/Green Eyes...Using: Born Again MSM Cream...Country Divine Emu Serum...Juvederm...Botox...Retin-A .05%...Easy Eye Solutions...Started 2/9/12 with Skin Bio Skin Signals Cream and TTT, Spot treating with TriRed
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I had very bad stomach rxns when I first took MSM (1000mg=1g), but now I can take 3-4g in one go, no problem.

So your body will learn to handle it.
Kay2008
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking MSM last year. I worked my way up, so for the first week I took 1000mg a day then the next week 2000mg a day and so on, eventually I was taking 4000mg a day. Some people report headaches etc if they start their does 'too high' straight away.

I heard that the powder is better, but I couldn't find anywhere that sold the powder so got mine in tablet form.

I did eventually stop taking them, for no reason really... I just got fed up of taking tablets everyday because I have a 'fear' of choking when swallowing tablets.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |