Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pre-Menstrual Syndrome -- what really works?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Aches - Bloating - Irritability Mad
What can really help?
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Vit. B6 really does help with bloating.

B complex helps with stress & irritability.

Fish oil & Evening Primrose oil are also helpful.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Vit. B6 really does help with bloating.

B complex helps with stress & irritability.

Fish oil & Evening Primrose oil are also helpful.

I'm taking them all! Confused My doc wants to give me pain killers that can kill a horse, but I'd like to try some effective natural remedies first.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
For Pain... Aleve... If you're willing. I've taken prescription stength for the last 25 years or so... (before it was over the counter)... The only thing that keeps me from getting sick.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I just deal with it. Just had some horrendous PMS up until about an hour ago. I slept 12 hours, I was so irritable, achy and ate lots of chocolate. I took an hour long bath with sea salts and then for the last half added jojoba oil. The aches went away.
Aleve has some scary Black Box Warnings. I'd prefer a painkiller w/o BBW.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
For Pain... Aleve... If you're willing. I've taken prescription stength for the last 25 years or so... (before it was over the counter)... The only thing that keeps me from getting sick.

Oh I so agree, try and go lay down and rest then soak in the tub with 4 kids 8 5 4 and under 1 NOT going to happen! My OBGYN gave me the Anaprox Rx stregnth back then too and it was a life saver!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I get it too along with a killer migraine that last 2-3 days. Sad Taking lots of vitamins and herbs, so far can't seem to knock out the migraines at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Magnesium! You can take it internally, or apply externally. You can buy magnesium oil or gel to apply to legs, back, belly. Soaking in an epsom salt bath (not sea salt) also allows you to absorb magnesium.

Personally, I have seen best results by soaking in epsom salts and applying the gel to the areas that ache.

http://www.health-and-wisdom.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
For me, I'd love to take a baseball bat to my hubby at times, as when I got it, I find many of the thing she does iritating like leaving his socks down the side of the couch etc. I really want to try the baseball bat thing - I'm sure the courts would understand my reasoning and not put me in jail Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know I always indulge in chocolate - and its unhealthy but my doctor was telling me recently that its because I'm low in magnesium, so I'm going to get me some magnesium gel and try supplementing it and seeing how that feels
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
I'm over the PMS now, and my bf is glad to have me back. He did impressions of PMS me last night -- He makes sounds like the tazmanian devil!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Don't eat fruit the week before your period, according to my acupuncturist. It worked for me. Less painful cramps even though at the time I had fibroids.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Don't eat fruit the week before your period, according to my acupuncturist. It worked for me. Less painful cramps even though at the time I had fibroids.

No fruits for a week ! Shock
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I kinda like the baseball bat idea... I mean WHY hold in that anger??? You could get cancer...LOL! Kidding!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
I used the pill for a lot of years to regulate my cycle. Worked for me till recently, then I could no longer tolerate side effects from the progestins. I am now using progesterone cream 3 weeks out of the month which is suppressing my period and the PMS. Seems to be working for me. If you are under 35 or so you might try progesterone two weeks out of the month.
cortigirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
LOL@ baseball bat. Omg that is hilarious!!! I've been dealing with severe pms for over 6 yrs now. IT SUCKS!!! But now i'm finally coming to terms with it. Every month 2 weeks before my period I get so depressed my life seems like a big black hole. I am self conscious, lazy, tired, get migraines...god the list goes on! But now, I am aware that these problems isn't something i can fix. So i just cry it out, and have a good support team and try and get in as much stuff that i love to do throughout those days to keep my mind off of it. I also try and tell myself positive things, and try to avoid a mirror lol. Seems like it's been working.

As far as cramping goes, i only get that during the beginning of my period day obviously, and i noticed midol greatly helps! Excedrin is pretty good too. I love when i get my period though because i am the most happiest during that day. Am i just weird? lol Heck i don't even care how much pain i'm in sometimes!! It gives me an excuse to slow down and relax for once lol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I have one of these, a blue-coloured Ladycare magnetic device, which I bought about 3-4 years ago (from an Avon website of all places, reduced with voucher codes). I think it helps with the pain. When I forget to wear it (sometimes) I have to take my trusty Mefenamic Acid tablets for cramp. http://www.ladycare-uk.com/what_is_ladycare.php (UK)
http://ladycare-canada.com/ (Canada)

Strangely though, the Ladycare I bought is exactly the same as the one on these sites, and was claimed to be for period pain/bloating. Now it's advertised for menopause symptoms, and they have another pink-coloured device for PMS (MN8). Methinks it might well be the same thing, but in different colours (ie, make more money out of it!). Think

Though the Advertising Standards Authority didn't seem too impressed by their claims! http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints-and-ASA-action/Adjudications/2009/8/Express-Newspapers/TF_ADJ_46734.aspx
http://pms.org.uk/About+PMS/News/2007+bulletins/February+2007/item771/

http://www.responsesource.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=44290

"The LadyCare device is thought to work by improving blood circulation in the uterine area. This stops the build-up of a chemical called lactic acid in the blood. Lactic acid is thought to be responsible for the muscle cramps.

The relief given by the LadyCare device seems to build up over a period of time, and the makers recommend women should start using it on the day before they expect menstruation to begin, and wear it until pains have subsided." (I was right; this older article implies the Ladycare is for PMS. Strange). http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/womens-health/magnet-therapy-menstrual-cramps-00242.html

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
sweetsweettart
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 am      Reply with quote
maybe you could try the vitex supplement. I find that prescription muscle relaxers work better than pain pills for me, but I am going to look into those homeopathic pellets, since they are non chemical. There are particular ones for every ailment. I found a site the other day that showed how different homeopathic remedies help different types of period problems.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Full Spectrum Light works! Idea
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunShine, please give us details! Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
RussianSunShine, please give us details! Question

I'll just copy what I wrote to Songbird:

RussianSunshine wrote:

I read about Light Therapy in the book "Women's bodies Women's Wisdom" by Christiane Northrup

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Bodies-Wisdom-Creating-Emotional/dp/0553384104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269963683&sr=8-1

She advised to sleep with a 100-watt lightbulb from days 1 to 17 of your cycle to regulate ur period or just expose yourself to full spectrum light 2 hours each day for PMS relief. She recommended to purchase the lights fromwww.lightforhealth.com and that's what I did.

I bought the lowerst watt bulbs they had ( 2 for 14$ I think) and just use it in my kitchen instead of the regular bulb. My mood improved drastically, I didn't have severe ups and downs during the period. The mood swings were horrible before so I was very desperate to try everything I heard can help.

She also recommended Reflexology and Natural progesterone therapy, but so far I'm happy with the light therapy. If you spend two hours outside in natural light you might not need the light bulbs.
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I do find that magnesium help with some of the cramping, but mostly I just use a heating pad. I did discover something for the break-outs though. If you take zinc five days before your period and every day until you start, you can really reduce the number of spots you get - and they heal up faster too. That makes me less grouchy! I have also tried Evening Primrose oil and if you take four at once when the pain starts, then every four hours, it can take the worst edge off. Other than that, my doctor told me to get pregnant!
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, RussianSunShine! It just so happens that DH just got me a full-spectrum light for depression. I'll try it out and report back.

alexes - I'm going to give the zinc a try. Dr. Oz recommends Evening Primrose oil. I suspect I haven't been taking enough at a time, will give your recommendation a try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 am      Reply with quote
It is important to take the larger dose of Evening Primrose - my periods are so painful they give me shots of Demerol for them, but when I take the EP it really does take the worst edge off the pain. I am still left unable to walk around, but if I have a heat pad, I can bear it. Also, and I know this sounds weird, don't wax or pluck when premenstrual. They say that the extra hormones at that time can make you more receptive to pain. The more pain you experience, even little bits of pain like waxing, can increase your muscle tension and make you feel worse over all. Just what I have been told, even though it sounds off the wall.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I use clary sage hydrosol and evening primrose oil. The clary sage helps tremendously. Add a teaspoon to tea, water, etc., or squirt directly in mouth. I get it from Nature's Gift; check out the description: http://www.naturesgift.com/hydrosol/clarysageHydrosol.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks to this thread and for Nadjazz mentioning Magnesium Oil, this past menstrual cycle I managed to knock out my migraine in a day! Normally my PMS one last 3-4 days but not this time, whew! Magnesium Oil is really helping and now I use it daily, twice a day, to keep general migraines and such away.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |