Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does Gelatin Have Skin Benefits?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Hawaiiwin

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
{Moderator: This thread relates to DIY skincare discussed at http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37035.}
----

Wow, Kassy, your pictures are amazing! What an inspiration.
I'm 51, and I've been using Retin A and a topical vit.C for 5 years. And doing Facercise for several months. I've noticed some skin improvement from the Retin-A, definitely. And muscle tightening/lifting from the Facercise.
I'm purchasing an AALS today, so I'll be able to report any new improvement that isn't from my old topicals.
I've been researching supplements/collagen production, and found a 2010 study done with mice eating gelatin and being protected against skin-collagen loss from sunlight. Of course, we are not mice, but... Here's the relevant section:
"...that the mice exposed to the ultraviolet light but did not receive the gelatin had a 53% average decrease in the collagen content of their skin compared to the mice who were not exposed. But the exposed mice that ate gelatin had no collagen decrease at all. In fact, they had an average increase in collagen of 17%..."
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hawaiiwin wrote:
I've been researching supplements/collagen production, and found a 2010 study done with mice eating gelatin and being protected against skin-collagen loss from sunlight. Of course, we are not mice, but... Here's the relevant section:
"...that the mice exposed to the ultraviolet light but did not receive the gelatin had a 53% average decrease in the collagen content of their skin compared to the mice who were not exposed. But the exposed mice that ate gelatin had no collagen decrease at all. In fact, they had an average increase in collagen of 17%..."

I'll definitely take my chances and incorporate gelatin into my diet... I can add the powder to my smoothies very easily. I think I read something similar about beta-carotene's ability to reduce the destructive collagen killing enzymes.. (I'll have to check to be sure, I read so much that things start jumble together sometimes.)

Thanks to you (and all) for saying such lovely things. It makes an old girl feel very young at heart, truly ♥

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Hawaiiwin

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy wrote wrote:
"I'll definitely take my chances and incorporate gelatin into my diet... I can add the powder to my smoothies very easily. I think I read something similar about beta-carotene's ability to reduce the destructive collagen killing enzymes.. (I'll have to check to be sure, I read so much that things start jumble together sometimes.)

Kassy foxe wrote:

Hawaiiwin - I can remember my mother taking gelatin to improve her nails when I was a child. Probably an old wive's tale, but w/ your report, maybe it had some merit? (remind self to make Jello more often)

"..Gelatin is Hydrolyzed collagen made from type I collagen by enzymatic hydrolysis, which cuts the collagen protein into small peptides. Eating gelatin increases the density of collagen fibrils and the fibroblasts density (the fibroblasts being the main cells of the dermis, and the ones which produce collagen). The explanation of this action may be that the peptides of ingested hydrolyzed collagen have chemotactic properties on fibroblasts [6] or an influence on growth of fibroblasts.."

Is this too boring.. Question

PS
Sorry to be a dummy, but when you're quoting another member, how do you make their posts go into those nifty little boxes..?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
You hit the quote button on the post that you want to quote. wave Welcome to EDS

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hawaiiwin wrote:
"..Gelatin is Hydrolyzed collagen made from type I collagen by enzymatic hydrolysis, which cuts the collagen protein into small peptides. Eating gelatin increases the density of collagen fibrils and the fibroblasts density (the fibroblasts being the main cells of the dermis, and the ones which produce collagen). The explanation of this action may be that the peptides of ingested hydrolyzed collagen have chemotactic properties on fibroblasts [6] or an influence on growth of fibroblasts.."

Is this too boring.. Question

PS
Sorry to be a dummy, but when you're quoting another member, how do you make their posts go into those nifty little boxes..?

Not boring at all! I am all for learning new things. Could you post the source of your info, Hawaiiwin?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hawaiiwin wrote:
Wow, Kassy, your pictures are amazing! What an inspiration.
I'm 51, and I've been using Retin A and a topical vit.C for 5 years. And doing Facercise for several months. I've noticed some skin improvement from the Retin-A, definitely. And muscle tightening/lifting from the Facercise.
I'm purchasing an AALS today, so I'll be able to report any new improvement that isn't from my old topicals.

Do tell us where we can read about this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am      Reply with quote
I don't think this is exactly what 'Hawaii' was talking about, but I'm posting it none the less because it does talk about not only collagen synthesis, but also that oral gelatin hydrolysate showed promise in treating degenerative conditions of the musculo-skeletal system...(Arthritis pain anyone... Sad )

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/129/10/1891

Oh, the only difference I know of between regular gelatin and gelatin hydrolysate is that the latter will dissolve in cold water, where the former needs boiling water... (Double check that though in case there's more to it than I remember.)

I'll look for more studies tomorrow... Perhaps this is worthy of it's own thread... hmm!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Article on gelatin:

http://www.realcuresletter.com/Health-Alert-Archive/View-Archive/2043/Jello--the-latest-antiaging-miracle.htm

REF: Tanaka M, Koyama Y, Nomura Y. Effects of collagen peptide ingestion on UV-B-induced skin damage. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Apr 23;73(4):930-2
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Article on gelatin:

http://www.realcuresletter.com/Health-Alert-Archive/View-Archive/2043/Jello--the-latest-antiaging-miracle.htm

REF: Tanaka M, Koyama Y, Nomura Y. Effects of collagen peptide ingestion on UV-B-induced skin damage. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Apr 23;73(4):930-2

Thanks, Skippie.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Article on gelatin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19352014

Effects of collagen peptide ingestion on UV-B-induced skin damage.
Tanaka M, Koyama Y, Nomura Y.

Applied Protein Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Tokyo 183-8509, Japan.

The effect of daily ingestion of collagen peptide on the skin damage induced by repeated UV-B irradiation was examined. Ingestion of collagen peptide (0.2 g/kg/d) suppressed UV-B-induced decreases in skin hydration, hyperplasia of the epidermis, and decreases in soluble type I collagen. These results suggest that collagen peptide is beneficial as a dietary supplement to suppress UV-B-induced skin damage and photoaging.

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bbb/73/4/930/_pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting the study, Lacy. Interesting read!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for finding the study, Lacy.

I notice that the study uses gelatin extracted from fish scales. Do you think the type of gelatin matters?
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Well, this is all good news. Something else to add to my arsenal(I already take Biotin, MSM, Vit C and fish oil)

--off to stock up on some Knox gelatin (what my mom took)or SF Jello now

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
Well, this is all good news. Something else to add to my arsenal(I already take Biotin, MSM, Vit C and fish oil)

LOL I always keep the Knox in the house already!
Smile
This has turned into the gelatin thread!

DM

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, you guys are ROCKIN' researchers! By the time I finished my newbie-no-url reply, you'd already found and posted all my sources, and more. What fun to play with such talented, smart people.

As far as Gelatin vs Gelatine Hydrolysate, the GH seems to be in smaller particles; it doesn't "gel" like gelatine; it's a "binder" in some nutritional bars; the lighter molecular weight may be more easily digestible. But ScientistLive online concludes:".. Gelatine and Gelatine Hydrolysates are, after oral intake, absorbed as well as deposited and stored in collagenous tissue of the body." Good, 'cause I can't find a source to buy pure GH.

Since my magical age-reversing AALS hasn't arrived yet... has anyone read the latest on Dr Ellen Langer's truly amazing "time-warp" age-reversing experiment? (Can the power of thought stop you ageing? 2-5-2010 BBC News online)
"..Prof Langer recruited a group of elderly men all in their late 70s or 80s for what she described as a "week of reminiscence". They were not told they were taking part in a study into ageing, an experiment that would transport them 20 years back in time.

The psychologist wanted to know if she could put the mind back 20 years would the body show any changes.."

Maybe if I can find my Lava Lamp, put up some black-lite posters in the guestroom, and--wait 'til no-one is home!-- dance around to classic rock'n'roll... Rolling Eyes Hmmm. Maybe I also need a life-size cardboard stand-up figure of -- oh dear, this will date me -- David Cassidy...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
foxe wrote:

Smile

DM

Well I was all set to begin the gelatin, only to discover mine had expired 3 years ago! Laughing
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
You can buy gelatine hydrolysate capsules in any health food store. Supposed to be good for joints.

I used a product called Gelata for awhile a few years ago when I tore cartilage in my knee. I didn't use it long term though because I heard it was hard on the kidneys (I don't know how true this is.)
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
That's not as bad as the box of Bisquick the kids and I found hiding in a box that expired 10
years before! LOL That hit the trash really fast! Smile

rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
foxe wrote:

Smile

DM

Well I was all set to begin the gelatin, only to discover mine had expired 3 years ago! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone who is going to give this a go - what is your plan? The Knox I have is good until sometime 2011 so I'm wanting to do something with it.
I make jello for the little guy (my 13 year old). And we both like it lots so have many of the flavored variety also.
(Microbiology classes turned me into a cupboard vigilante about dates Smile A minor neurosis Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the articles everyone. Really enjoyed them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
LMAO
JELLO SHOOTERS!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
There Ya go!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Anyone who is going to give this a go - what is your plan? The Knox I have is good until sometime 2011 so I'm wanting to do something with it.
I make jello for the little guy (my 13 year old). And we both like it lots so have many of the flavored variety also.
(Microbiology classes turned me into a cupboard vigilante about dates Smile A minor neurosis Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the articles everyone. Really enjoyed them.

Put a tsp in your daily smoothie... You'll get thickness and collagen building in one fell swoop... Very Happy

"Jello Shooters" sounds like much more fun though...

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yep - that's it: Into the smoothie in the morning and I think I'll combine with MSM and bioSil for the nightcap. (Or maybe put the MSM and the bioSil in the jello shooter)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
I think you have all misread the study, or ignored the the discussion and conclusion. It does not say eating gelatin will build collagen in the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
When I was a kid back in the 1950s, Jell-o was just the thing. My mom would often serve us Jell-o for dessert, as well as Jell-o in our salads. I bet we had Jell-o several days out of every week. When I went to school, the same thing happened. Jell-o was easy to make and keep, and we all liked it.

But those days have long been over for me. The last time I had Jell-o was more than 40 years ago. And now, when I look at my 63-year-old face in the mirror, I'm thinking that I should have eaten it more often. That’s because some startling new research is now showing that gelatin, the stuff that’s in Jell-o, will literally put the skids on photo-aging.

Photo-aging is the process by which, over the course of time, ultraviolet light damages your skin. The effects of photo-aging are particularly noticeable on the face and neck. That’s because the skin there is thinner. The sun damages thinner skin more easily. Also face and neck skin gets exposed to much more ultraviolet light than does any other part of the body.

Photo-aging makes skin wrinkled, loose and crinkly, rough appearing, and spotted with pigments. How would you like to prevent that from happening?

Or if you’re like me and it’s a little too late, how would you like to prevent it from getting any worse?

It all has to do with something called collagen. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It constitutes about one-third of the entire protein in the body, and is the major component of the skin. It is collagen that provides the tensile strength to skin, and keeps it firm, smooth, and high in water content. But alas, two things happen to us as we get older.

One is that due to a decrease in hormone production, especially growth hormone, our skin cells make less and less collagen. And the other is that the repeated exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet light also causes the skin to make less collagen. The end result of all of this is wrinkles.

But a new study just published only a few months ago says that eating Jell-o helps maintain a more youthful collagen levels as you get older.

Lacy - The goal of the gelatin is preventing photo aging; thus maintaining collagen levels.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |