Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does Gelatin Have Skin Benefits?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
When I was a kid back in the 1950s, Jell-o was just the thing. My mom would often serve us Jell-o for dessert, as well as Jell-o in our salads. I bet we had Jell-o several days out of every week. When I went to school, the same thing happened. Jell-o was easy to make and keep, and we all liked it.

But those days have long been over for me. The last time I had Jell-o was more than 40 years ago. And now, when I look at my 63-year-old face in the mirror, I'm thinking that I should have eaten it more often. That’s because some startling new research is now showing that gelatin, the stuff that’s in Jell-o, will literally put the skids on photo-aging.
Photo-aging is the process by which, over the course of time, ultraviolet light damages your skin. The effects of photo-aging are particularly noticeable on the face and neck. That’s because the skin there is thinner. The sun damages thinner skin more easily. Also face and neck skin gets exposed to much more ultraviolet light than does any other part of the body.

Photo-aging makes skin wrinkled, loose and crinkly, rough appearing, and spotted with pigments. How would you like to prevent that from happening?

Or if you’re like me and it’s a little too late, how would you like to prevent it from getting any worse?

It all has to do with something called collagen. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body. It constitutes about one-third of the entire protein in the body, and is the major component of the skin. It is collagen that provides the tensile strength to skin, and keeps it firm, smooth, and high in water content. But alas, two things happen to us as we get older.

One is that due to a decrease in hormone production, especially growth hormone, our skin cells make less and less collagen. And the other is that the repeated exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet light also causes the skin to make less collagen. The end result of all of this is wrinkles.

But a new study just published only a few months ago says that eating Jell-o helps maintain a more youthful collagen levels as you get older.

http://www.realcuresletter.com/Health-Alert-Archive/View-Archive/2043/Jello--the-latest-antiaging-miracle.htm

Lacy - The goal of the gelatin is preventing photo aging; thus maintaining collagen levels.

Read the study I linked to ... it does not say eating gelatin will maintain or build collagen in aging skin. It doesn't even mention aging skin, other than indirectly. Whatever you quoted is wrong; it has misinterpreted the study.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Article on gelatin:

http://www.realcuresletter.com/Health-Alert-Archive/View-Archive/2043/Jello--the-latest-antiaging-miracle.htm

REF: Tanaka M, Koyama Y, Nomura Y. Effects of collagen peptide ingestion on UV-B-induced skin damage. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Apr 23;73(4):930-2

I was referencing from this article.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Skippie wrote:
Article on gelatin:

REF: Tanaka M, Koyama Y, Nomura Y. Effects of collagen peptide ingestion on UV-B-induced skin damage. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Apr 23;73(4):930-2

I would suggest that rather than reading an article on the Internet you read the actual study. Personal testimonials aren't very scientific and there is no guarantee they are factual.

I posted the link to the study earlier on this thread.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy - Perhaps you did not read. This article references a study. It is not testimonial based.
If you don't care for the study referenced, that's fine. No need to discuss further. I was just letting you know where I was coming from.

But a new study just published only a few months ago says that eating Jell-o helps maintain a more youthful collagen levels as you get older.

Researchers at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology studied the effects of eating gelatin on skin repeatedly exposed to ultraviolet light. They took some hairless mice and divided them into three groups. One group received no ultraviolet light exposure. The second group received repeated exposures throughout the day in increasing intensities.

The third group had the same level of exposure as the second group, but in addition ate gelatin at .2 g/kg per day. This is a relatively small amount of gelatin, and only amounts to about a heaping tablespoon of gelatin per day for an average-sized adult. They conducted the study for six weeks.

Here's what they found.

The mice exposed to the ultraviolet light but did not receive the gelatin had a 53% average decrease in the collagen content of their skin compared to the mice who were not exposed. But the exposed mice that ate gelatin had no collagen decrease at all. In fact, they had an average increase in collagen of 17%.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Skippie wrote:
Article on gelatin:

http://www.realcuresletter.com/scripts/previewArchive.aspx?AID=114

Maybe you would enjoy these articles too:

http://faculty.uml.edu/sgallagher/ForsytheShallenberger.htm

http://faculty.uml.edu/sgallagher/california_medical_board_case_ag.htm

http://www.medboard.nv.gov/Discipline/Shallenberger_Frank.htm

I believe this is the same doctor who wrote the article for realcuresletter.com; my apologies if it isn't.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:24 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Lacy - Perhaps you did not read. This article references a study. It is not testimonial based.
If you don't care for the study referenced, that's fine. No need to discuss further. I was just letting you know where I was coming from.

Researchers at the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology studied the effects of eating gelatin on skin repeatedly exposed to ultraviolet light. They took some hairless mice and divided them into three groups. One group received no ultraviolet light exposure. The second group received repeated exposures throughout the day in increasing intensities.

The third group had the same level of exposure as the second group, but in addition ate gelatin at .2 g/kg per day. This is a relatively small amount of gelatin, and only amounts to about a heaping tablespoon of gelatin per day for an average-sized adult. They conducted the study for six weeks.

Here's what they found.

The mice exposed to the ultraviolet light but did not receive the gelatin had a 53% average decrease in the collagen content of their skin compared to the mice who were not exposed. But the exposed mice that ate gelatin had no collagen decrease at all. In fact, they had an average increase in collagen of 17%.

Actually I have read both the article/letter written by Dr. Frank Shallenberger and the published study written by Tanaka, Koyama and Nomura from the Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology. The journal article of the study does not say mice who at gelatin and were exposed to ultraviolet radiation had an increase in collagen of 17%.

Did you find that statistic when you read the study?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Good reminder, Lacy, that we should always check to see if the author of information is credible.

That said, I will be happy if taking gelatin does what the study said: These results suggest that collagen peptide is beneficial as a dietary supplement to suppress UV-B-induced skin damage and photoaging.

I added a package of gelatin to my smoothie this morning and it is very thick.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Good reminder, Lacy, that we should always check to see if the author of information is credible.

That said, I will be happy if taking gelatin does what the study said: These results suggest that collagen peptide is beneficial as a dietary supplement to suppress UV-B-induced skin damage and photoaging.

I agree. I took that to mean the gelatin could possibly prevent any future UVB photoaging. Are you getting something different from that, Lacy?
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skippie wrote:

I agree. I took that to mean the gelatin could possibly prevent any future UVB photoaging. Are you getting something different from that, Lacy?

There are 3 groups of mice in this study; 7 mice per group. The control group did not receive the collagen peptide (gelatin) and was not exposed to UVB irradiation. The second group did not receive the gelatin but was exposed to UVB. The third group received gelatin and was irradiated.

The second group of mice had significantly dehydrated skin after 6 weeks of UVB exposure. The first and third group both had hydrated skin. The second group also had a significantly thicker epidermis.

In the dermis, type 1 collagen was measured. Group 1 was assigned a value of 100. Group 2 was found to have a relative value of 47; group 3 was 117. I do not know if it is fair to say these are percentage changes but they may be; I do not see the authors state at the results are significant when group 1 and 3 are compared. They do say that there is a significant difference between group 2 and 3 though.

They conclude that skin changes in either the epidermis or the dermis (due to UVB exposure) is by suppressed ingestion of collagen peptide (gelatin). Possible explanations for the effect of collagen peptide are either antioxidative activity or other biological activity they; recommend further study.

What I get out of this study is this: it doesn't say that ingesting collagen/gelatin will build more collagen in your skin if you aren't exposed to UVB. If you wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen, you shouldn't be exposed to large doses of UVB (as well as UVA). This study looked at unprotected, repeated UVB exposure. Unfortunately it did not compare the skin of mice who ate gelatin vs mice who did not, without the UVB exposure.

Forum members are assuming that eating gelatin will build collagen; this was not examined in this study.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:

Forum members are assuming that eating gelatin will build collagen; this was not examined in this study.

Ok, gotcha. Thanks. No, I didn't see that it said anywhere in the study that it would build collagen, only that it is suggested that a dietary supplement could suppress UVB damage/photoaging.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:

Ok, gotcha. Thanks. No, I didn't see that it said anywhere in the study that it would build collagen, only that it is suggested that a dietary supplement could suppress UVB damage/photoaging.

That's exactly what I got from the study, that it's supposed to offer some protection from UVB damage.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
I find it really odd that the article is so specific even as to percentages:

Quote:

I'm wondering if there is a longer version of the study published somewhere.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:

Quote:

I explained that here in my previous post Skippie:

Quote:
In the dermis, type 1 collagen was measured. Group 1 was assigned a value of 100. Group 2 was found to have a relative value of 47; group 3 was 117. I do not know if it is fair to say these are percentage changes but they may be; I do not see the authors state at the results are significant when group 1 and 3 are compared. They do say that there is a significant difference between group 2 and 3 though.

If you use Group 1 as the baseline and assign it a value of 100, then look at the Group 2 results (47), the difference between them is -53 (47-100). Comparing Group 1 to Group 3, the difference is +17 (117-100). I am just not sure these are percentage changes, but they may be.

The researchers don't mention whether the difference between Group 1 and Group 3 is significant either. If it is, then ingesting gelatin PLUS exposure to UVB builds collagen in the skin. But UV exposure alone causes thickening of the epidermis and a decrease of collagen in the dermis; that's what happened to the Group 2 mice.

5% products discount

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Based on basic math and percentages if you go from 100 to 117 then that is a 17% change.

It is simple math, but here is a calculator to determine percentage change:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/percentchangecalc.html
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
Skippie wrote:

Quote:

I explained that here in my previous post Skippie:

Quote:

If you use Group 1 as the baseline and assign it a value of 100, then look at the Group 2 results (47), the difference between them is -53 (47-100). Comparing Group 1 to Group 3, the difference is +17 (117-100). I am just not sure these are percentage changes, but they may be.

The researchers don't mention whether the difference between Group 1 and Group 3 is significant either. If it is, then ingesting gelatin PLUS exposure to UVB builds collagen in the skin. But UV exposure alone causes thickening of the epidermis and a decrease of collagen in the dermis; that's what happened to the Group 2 mice.

Thanks Lacy. Math is certainly not my strong suit so I appreciate the detailed explanation.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Well, besides taking Knox for collagen, one can make bone soup, mainly chicken feet soup and pig feet soup (I know, sounds yuk!) but in places like Latin America they do and taste good; mind you, you have to clean them extremely well. There are studies where they found that when boiling those bones in water and a bit of vinegar to make soup the collagen they found is very rich; it's not fat, it's collagen... very bad for those (like me) who hardly eat any animal stuff. If I have some time later, I'll find those studies I found when I was looking for natural ways to have collagen in my body.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

would taking gelatin in capsule form be beneficial ? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it does any good - be great if it does,

Jackie xx
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
i would like to say 2 things

1 is that jello, even though it has a gelatin base, and even though gelatin may possibiley create more colagen, the sugars and chemcials in the jello would be intensely counter productive to bauty..and pro-aging.

2 is that, as a vegan, i can understand people feeling the need for animal food for sustenence...and wanting to use any non directly eatable parts, as well, for clothing and other things...(like hooves,etc. for gelatin)...but it's difficult for me when the respect for the life that the animal has given for that sustenance isn't respected as such..and just taken for granted.

there's an orthodox jewish story i've heard about a person who butchers an animal in a traditional jewish, or 'kosher' way (there's a spiritual, ideally, component to this 'job'..and a certain name used for the person that performs this 'job' that i don't know) so the elder 'butcher' was mentoring a new one..and at the end of the butchering..he said that the young man had failed..because although his technique was perfect there was something missing as he was doing his job...the tears.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
JR,

Here is the biblical name for a Kosher butcher,

The shochet is not simply a butcher; he must be a pious man, well-trained in Jewish law, particularly as it relates to kashrut. In smaller, more remote communities, the rabbi and the shochet were often the same person.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
thanks, Darkmoon. i thought the story was told from the prospective of a rabbi (must have been a traditional story from a small town) but i wasn't sure.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
thanks, Darkmoon. i thought the story was told from the prospective of a rabbi (must have been a traditional story from a small town) but i wasn't sure.

Glad it helped, even today Rabbi's must bless and oversee the slaughter of any animals for them to be considered Kosher. The animal must be killed with one swift cut, so death is as quick as possible and suffering minimal.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 am      Reply with quote
A practical way (but more time consuming) to prevent cruelty to animals used for food..including gelatin products ...is not to eat animals 'produced' in large feedlots (at least in the USA)..which are raised, fed and slaughtered with intense cruelty... which means virtually all meat and animal parts sold in most ordinary major supermarkets..but instead to purchase meat and animal parts sustainablly, organically raised and fed (pastured)..ideally purchasing from local farmers at farmers markets from people who know and love their animals...and raise/feed/slaughter them humanely.

i would shutter to think about the cruelty to animals that goes into producing a product like Knox gelatin...it may be that there is a gelatin product (including capsules) ready-made from pastured and humanely slaughtered animals..if not, Margarett's idea of purchasing animal/fowl feet and making your own collagen soup from them would be the humane alternative.

Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 am      Reply with quote
interesting!
sorry if this question is off topic but Do you guys think this is something we can use after derma rolling??
( I mean mix it the way mentioned in the forum for dark circles 1/4tsp gelatin to 1tsp hot water) but instead use it all over the face???
wouldn't it help increase collagen? I used the mask on my eyes before and it's kind of soothing
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:21 am      Reply with quote
When I happened to buy chicken feet, I had surgery last year and my mom told me to make my chicken stew to help me regain my strength back, I got the chicken feet from the butcher (the only one in town... lol) and he sells them in frozen packages because not a lot of people buy them.. it's too bad because it does not taste the same, meaning fresh, but the substance in the bones I might think stay almost intact with the frozen method. Anyway, one can find such butcher mentioned above and get them frozen, take some each time to make your broth. I don't know for how long they can last in the freezer to be ok to cook and eat later. I remember at that time I bought three packages at a time, make my broth with one package at a time and would last me for 2 or 3 days in the fridge. I think I will start doing this again since I have been doing weights and will start FlexEffect to build muscle on my lower part of face. I have not done it because I don't eat a lot of meat, just fish products and egg whites, get my protein from other sources too, but will try to find a butcher that does not kill his animals in a cruel way, I might even have to travel to surrounded areas, 2 or 3 hours away, but it's ok.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
There's also the option of fish gelatin:

https://www.allinkosher.com/p-37046-hanamal-pure-gelatin-kosher-fish-gelatin-powder-28-gr-kosher-parve.aspx

In fact, I think the original study used fish gelatin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |