Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
DIY recommendations for eczema prone face and body
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mountainboy

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 am      Reply with quote
Greetings! I'm a 30yr old male who is (relatively) new to eczema and DIY skincare. My cheekbones and eyelids are red and itchy, and if I don't apply moisturizer every ten minutes, my skin flakes right off. Not very becoming, comfortable or convenient. I've tried many over the counter products, and eventually discovered that the only thing my face can tolerate are simple concoctions with limited, purposeful and natural ingredients. Here is my treatment:

After I wash and shave my face, I've been spritzing with a toner made of Witch Hazel hydrosol and 2 drops of lavender. It seems soothing, though it just might be drying my skin out. What's a shave and eczema friendly alternative?

After I tone with the above hydrosol, I apply an inflamed skin oil of my own creation.

1oz Jojoba carrier base
2 capsules Evening Primrose Oil
2 drops lavender
1 drop blue chamomile
10 drops jojoba/calendula emulsion

This recipe is soothing, but if I use it throughout the day, I have to apply it very often, and my face and hands remain oily due to constant application. Could I tweak my recipe to make it thinner, less shiny and to absorb and protect better? In it's current state, it is soothing after I wash, or before I shower to prevent my skin from drying out.

After the oil is applied, and throughout the day, I've been alternating between two different moisturizers.

One is a commercial product called Calendula Cream by California Baby which is very soothing, though with a mild burning sensation. It does help the redness, and keep the flakes at bay, though there must be a diy alternative that is less burning feeling, and lasts longer.

In an attempt to create something that I don't have to apply as often, I've been experimenting with a shea butter balm.

1oz shea butter
2 drops lavender
1 drop blue chamomile
10 drops jojoba/calendula emulsion

This recipe seems to soothe, and keep my face moist longer, however it takes a while to absorb, and I'm noticing that I have a lot of buildup in my pores. Not sure if it's this or not. Do you recommend an alternative recipe?

Lastly, the man in me would love to have a soothing balm in stick form that I can keep in my pocket and apply to my cheeks whenever necessary. It shouldn't clog my pores, and it probably shouldn't be applied all the time, but it would be nice to have a concoction that I can apply a few times a day instead of 50 times a day. Also, I have no idea how I'd mold this into a stick. Maybe a balm tin would suffice.

I appreciate any help, advice or recipes you can share.

Here's to recovery!
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

I would definitely skip the lavender as it can irritate. I would try skipping the witch hazel for a while and see if there is any improvement. Some people are sensitive to it. Use a chamomile hydrosol and kukui instead. Kukui oil is awesome for eczema. You can get both these from gardenofwisdom.com.

Also, you could try Paula's Choice Skin Relief treatment or her 2% BHA LIQUID. You can purchase samples from the Paula's Choice website.

Read this from Paula Begoun the Cosmetic's Cop:

lavender extract and oil. Primarily a fragrance ingredient, although it may have antibacterial properties. There is no research showing it has any benefit for skin (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 301–308). It can be a skin irritant (Source: Contact Dermatitis, August 1999, page 111) and a photosensitizer (Source: Family Practice Notebook, http://www.fpnotebook.com/DER188.htm). Research also indicates that components of lavender, specifically linalool, can be cytotoxic, meaning that topical application causes skin-cell death (Source: Cell Proliferation, June 2004, pages 221-229). In addition, the fragrance constituents in lavender oil oxidize when exposed to air. This not only makes lavender oil pro-oxidant, but also increases its irritancy on skin (Source: Contact Dermatitis, September 2008, pages 143-150). Lavender oil is the most potent form, and even small amounts of it can be problematic. It is a must to avoid in skin-care products.
mountainboy

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:16 am      Reply with quote
misskatblack wrote:
...definitely skip the lavender as it can irritate...Use a chamomile hydrosol and kukui instead.

@misskatblack Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely look into kukui oil. Is it safe to apply around my eyelids? Shocking news about Lavender, since it's recommended everywhere! I'll try chamomile only for a while and see if I improve.
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 am      Reply with quote
I just edited my last reply and added a couple extra things. Make sure you don't use the BHA or Relief treatment around the eyes. If you are very sensitive test it on your neck first.
Kukui can take off eye makeup and is very gentle. My personal fav around the eyes is a tiny bit of rosehip seed oil. Kukui is fine tho!
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi mountainboy

About Calendula Cream, i'm thinking it might be the essential oils in it that is causing you the burning feeling. If you really liked California Baby's stuff, perhaps you can try the Super Sensitive Everyday Lotion. This has no essential oils, but also contains calendula.

I love love love the Helichrysum/Immortelle hydrosol for my eczema. That's about the most *powerful* anti-inflammatory hydrosol in my experience. I've also read that it helps with ingrown hairs.

Yarrow hydrosol is another one i like, although i think it is more suited for those heat rashes. Probably not that good for you.

Argan oil is my favourite oil. It helps with relieving inflammation. That i haven't noticed with other carrier oils i've tried.

Hope this helps some! Very Happy
mountainboy

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Since my last post, I've changed my routine a little bit

Yesterday I received 8oz of kukui oil in the mail and I must say it is absolutely wonderful. Thanks to @misskatblack for the tip.

Kukui by itself is cooling, moisturizing and has a very silky feel that's soothing to irritated skin. It soaks right in, and I get relief from my eczema almost immediately.

My latest oil blend is in a 10ml bottle:

6ml kukui
3ml rosehip seed oil
1/2 capsule evening primrose oil
10 drops calendula oil extension in jojoba oil

my skin feels great afterwards. I'm considering adding a drop of german chamomile, rose otto, or oz sandalwood but so far this blend is working well. In fact, this morning was the first in a long while that I awoke to a moisturized face.

I've also read about the photosensitizing effects of rosehip seed oil, so I hope this dilution is okay. I'm wary about loading up on sunscreen until my skin returns to it's normal self.

As a balm goes, I've limited use of shea butter, and instead use beeswax to thicken up my blend. Once I get this oil blend finished, I'll add enough beeswax to create a salve that I can keep in my pocket and soothe my face from cold winter winds.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
This may sound gross, but Crisco shortening mixed with olive oil has improved my eczema to a manageable state. Now I only need to use this concoction several weeks each year, mostly in the winters. Good luck!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 am      Reply with quote
This Australian product, "Billie Goat Soap" has developed a very good reputation here for curing eczema. It was created by a mum whose son had terrible eczema using the milk from their goats. Check it out here:

http://www.billiegoatsoap.com.au/

I have never tried it myself, so I can't personally attest to its effectiveness.

My other suggestion would be to try using some Emu Oil - it's anti-inflammatory and is very soothing to the skin.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |