Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do you know it's a good vit c?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
truth
5% products discount

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm asking a question that's been asked a thousand times but I've looked through sooooo many threads...

I had been looking into trying CPs but after finding this and other sites, I've changed my mind. So now I'm looking for a good vit c. I've been using Neostarta 8% glycolic toner for yrs and yrs, and my skin is not sensitive.

So how do you know how high the Vit C concentrate should be? What do i want in it? What do you consider to be a great, effective Vit C that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Cellbone? Heard some good things about them...

Thanks for any advice! To think, I used to think I knew about skincare!! Smile)
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi truth and welcome! It's best to use a vitamin C serum that is between 10-20%. Many people start with a 15% serum that contains L-ascorbic acid (LAA).

Many of us make our own vitamin C serum. There are recipes at: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503

I've made Kassy's 15% C, E, Ferulic recipe with good results. It's easy to make and very cost effective.

I've also used Skinceuticals and SkinMedica's C serums. Both are very good, but pricey. You can get some decent deals on ebay for them. You could start with some sample sizes to try them out.
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Hi truth and welcome! It's best to use a vitamin C serum that is between 10-20%. Many people start with a 15% serum that contains L-ascorbic acid (LAA).

Many of us make our own vitamin C serum. There are recipes at: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=30503

I've made Kassy's 15% C, E, Ferulic recipe with good results. It's easy to make and very cost effective.

I've also used Skinceuticals and SkinMedica's C serums. Both are very good, but pricey. You can get some decent deals on ebay for them. You could start with some sample sizes to try them out.

always want to try to make it myself, but dunno where can i get the stuff
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Here are some opinions about different C serums including some using derivatives. Also different %'s and $$$'s

http://www.truthinaging.com/face/five-best-face/five-best-vitamin-c-serums/

Smile
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
hellenzqq wrote:

always want to try to make it myself, but dunno where can i get the stuff

There are quite a few sources from which to get the ingredients. I've ordered from:
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com
http://www.skinactives.com
http://www.personalformulator.com

There are also Bulkactives and Lotioncrafters. I've heard Lotioncrafters has the most-easily-dissolvable LAA, but I've not used it.

I know I've seen a full supplier list around here, but in my quick search it didn't turn up.

You may have a hard time finding everything you need from one supplier. I had to order from two suppliers to get everything I needed.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Here's the recipe list and near the bottom are lists of DIY suppliers!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Havana8 gets the thanks for keeping up with it all!

HTH
DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:29 am      Reply with quote
thanks a lot!!! since the VC serum are getting more and more expensive, making one by myself is really not a bad idea,hehe
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
hellenzqq wrote:
thanks a lot!!! since the VC serum are getting more and more expensive, making one by myself is really not a bad idea,hehe

Very Very true! It's a great way to go if you don't want to pay the absurd prices that are being charged for retail products, and you can be sure it's fresh! Smile

DM

5% products discount

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
I'd love to play 'mad scientist' but first I'd like to see if vit c works on me. Can't tell you how tempted I am though!
Soooo, how do we feel about Cellbone? Or Cosmetic Skin Solutions? Both are under $30, which, after a lifetime of cystic acne and spending truckloads of useless meds and treatments, is nothing!
I would just like to see if I get any results.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
truth wrote:
I'd love to play 'mad scientist' but first I'd like to see if vit c works on me. Can't tell you how tempted I am though!
Soooo, how do we feel about Cellbone? Or Cosmetic Skin Solutions? Both are under $30, which, after a lifetime of cystic acne and spending truckloads of useless meds and treatments, is nothing!
I would just like to see if I get any results.

Here's a link with more info on Cosmetic Skin Solutions: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31779

I've not used their C serum, but I did buy a dermaroller from them and they sent a free mask sample which I liked.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Truth - I had good results with cellbone C products. They are a good value and they send nice freebies - I'd give it a go and then try the DIY later if you are ready (that's what I do now). Please let us know how it goes.

5% products discount

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. I went ot the Anti Aging shop yesterday and got a sample of Cellux C. So that at least should tide me over till I decide what to buy!
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:11 am      Reply with quote
how do u guys keep your VC serum??
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
hellenzqq wrote:
how do u guys keep your VC serum??

For DIY? Dark Bottle, out of heat and light only open long enough to use to limit exposure to oxygen, refrigerate any not used in a 1-2 weak time frame and don't shake you will introduce more oxygen in everytime if you do, all the above helps prevent oxidation.

HTH
DM

5% products discount

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
^^ Great advice. I too want to try my hands at DIY
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Check the link and start simple then work up
to something more complicated if you like! Smile

DM Have Fun! Smile

DarkMoon wrote:
Here's the recipe list and near the bottom are lists of DIY suppliers!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Havana8 gets the thanks for keeping up with it all!

HTH
DM Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
I suggest checking Kassy_A 's posts for the best DIY c information if you want to go the extra step.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I suggest reading the Vitamin C for DIY thread to make sure you are getting just what you want!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=30503&start=1050

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I agree - that's where you'll find lots of Kassy's info. Thanks for posting the link DM.

Sis Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
obiga c is a good vit c product.have a try
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |