Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Applied Vitamin D3 Oil to the Back of one Hand - Result
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've applied Vitamin D3 Oil to the back of my hand for 6 months as an experiment to determine whether it can improve the thickness of my skin, eliminate a light sun spot or make the skin more smoothly textured.

Vitamin D3 has recently been touted as a wonder vitamin (actually a hormone) that has, according to some studies, the ability to prevent cancers and apparently have a positive effect on all manner of other ailments.

The result of my experiment was sadly that the skin on that hand has become more textured (read wrinkled!)and the sun spot has not improved at all, in fact it may have worsened. Both hands originally had the same appearance and I have applied sun protection religiously everyday. The skin may be marginally firmer on the D3 hand.

What might explain this?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
What a great experiment, Camelia. Thanks for reporting back on your results. Did you happen to use any other things on your hands when you were doing that experiment (other than sunscreen)? That is very interesting that your treated hand actually worsened in texture. I don't know about this ingredient to even have a theory as to why that may happen. I'll be interested to read what others think the reason may be!
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I thought the recent news about Vit D is to take it internally for the benefits, not topically.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
I thought the recent news about Vit D is to take it internally for the benefits, not topically.

I "thought" there was something that came out about applying D topically, but I haven't tried to find anything. You may be right, foxe!
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your kind response to me sharing my experience rileygirl.

foxe, I don't know whether there there have been any publicized experiments conducted concerning the application of vitamin D3 to the skin. However it's only a matter of time before a skin care company begins to advertise it as an ingredient and you can almost be certain that tests on vitamin D's topical action have or are underway. There is too much hype about the wonder 'D' for there not to be. The question is whether it will work in the beneficial way that vitamin A and vitamin E work topically on the skin? When vitamin A and E were found to have positive internal effects, they were soon experimented with topically.

That's all my amateur experiment was seeking to discover.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I remember years ago, I tried putting vit E from capsules around my eyes for a few months. It didn't help with the crows feet, at least for me. I do however take vitamin E orally now (Hi Gamma E and tocotrienols) because even though it didn't do anything for me that I could see externally, I believe that it make have health benefits. I also do take vit D3 internally. Perhaps the method of delivery may make a difference in whether a product is helpful.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for experimenting and posting the results. this forum is like a mini cosmetics lab! something special indeed! Wink

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
There are some studies being done on topical use of D3 but most are for medical conditions!

http://dermatologytimes.modernmedicine.com/dermatologytimes/Modern+Medicine+Now/Hedgehog-inhibitor-Vitamin-D3-shows-promise-as-top/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/607912

http://psoriasis.suite101.com/article.cfm/calcipotriene_in_topical_treatment_of_psoriasis

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118568853/abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9255481

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, MarieIG that as with vitamin E, it might need to be treated in some way for better absorption. However, it might be argued that the skin should readily absorb vitamin D3 as the receptors for making it are just under the skin's surface. As UVB wavelengths from the sun hit the skin, the 7-dehydrocholestrol converts it to vitamin D. The last paragraph of this article discusses the possibility of using topical Vitamin D3 for treating burns.

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v125/n5/full/5603599a.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
llina, I know, I love reading about members' experiments! You can find some real gems. Don't know about my experiment though, it's puzzled me for sure. The area I've applied the drops to is more ruddy looking than the other hand for certain so there is some kind of effect taking place. I don't have a high spec camera to show the results but when I get one, I will post the difference - perhaps more will show up in a photo.

DarkMoon, thank you very much for taking the time to post those links, very interesting. I can't get into the 3rd one, could you tell me what conclusion it makes please. Thanks. Are you a Pink Floyd fan?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
llina, I know, I love reading about members' experiments! You can find some real gems. Don't know about my experiment though, it's puzzled me for sure. The area I've applied the drops to is more ruddy looking than the other hand for certain so there is some kind of effect taking place. I don't have a high spec camera to show the results but when I get one, I will post the difference - perhaps more will show up in a photo.

DarkMoon, thank you very much for taking the time to post those links, very interesting. I can't get into the 3rd one, could you tell me what conclusion it makes please. Thanks. Are you a Pink Floyd fan?

i just think its cool that you experimented and then posted the results. i really appreciate it! it takes a lot of effort, time and energy to do this, and then share it. shout-out for camelia!

you stated that the D3 hand is more wrinkled, no change in age spots, but firmer. and that you did this for 6 months. i'm wondering if the 'more wrinkled' is just the top surface. i'm wondering if the top layer stayed on longer, instead of shedding at a normal rate. would this explain the firmer. just wondering why firmer but more wrinkled. i wonder if there is a gem below the wrinkled dead surface. let us know if you do a gentle hand exfoliation and it reveals anything different.

nevertheless... what you did was cool! love it!

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
Camelia
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much Llina. Your hypothesis could well be right. I'll see if my derm has a sun damage camera, it should reveal whether anything has changed or not. Will be posting photos too once I can work out which camera to buy. Thanks again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:03 am      Reply with quote
I wonder why the D3 made it more wrinkled though? Even if it didn't help, I don't understand why it would have a detrimental effect. . .
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:12 am      Reply with quote
3rd.oculus wrote:
I wonder why the D3 made it more wrinkled though? Even if it didn't help, I don't understand why it would have a detrimental effect. . .

I am not sure if there might be another cause as we don't know what if anything else is in the formula that was used. Many supplements have other fillers could something else in it be drying? Could the strength of the D3 used be too much? There are variables that are unknown, I am not saying this is the answer but we just don't know.

DM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:42 am      Reply with quote
3rd.oculus wrote:

besides putting on D3, is there any other change you made?
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Camelia wrote:
Thank you so much Llina. Your hypothesis could well be right. I'll see if my derm has a sun damage camera, it should reveal whether anything has changed or not. Will be posting photos too once I can work out which camera to buy. Thanks again.

for sure camelia,
let us all know about that sun damage camera?! i never know there was such a thing. awesome! i love gadgets.

congrats you won a $50 gift voucher! happy shopping!

shawntn

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled onto it. I just recently began taking vitamin d3, and started feeling its positive effects in terms of energy level and mood enhancement. One connection I pondered was seb derm. I have battled seb derm for many years on my face around my eyebrows. Interesting enough for me I always noted my seb derm improved in summer, never went away but improved. So I began making the hypothesis that vitamin d levels effect seb derm, as of course winter in the northern hemisphere you get next to no vitamin d from the sun November through April. I also noted improvement in conditions from oral use of vitamin d. So I recently began using 5000iu of d3 topically on my seb derm and have noted that redness and flaking skin has improved even more. I'm going to continue its use topically and report my findings here. I'm encouraged because based on the findings above it sounds like d may slow skin cell production (flaking in seb derm). If that's the case this could be heaven sent for me.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |