Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

To the DIY veterans and youngsters: what got you started?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
KatieKins
5% products discount

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
My new year's resolution was to take better care of my 40 year old skin and figure out if there were indeed products that would prevent/get rid of wrinkles. As I researched, I saw a lot of products that were very highly recommended and waaaay too much money. I can justify alot of my unjustified shopping, but I could not fork out hard earned hundreds for "miracle broth" moisturizer or C++++ serum. What was a desperate person to do? I had NO IDEA there was such a thing as a DIY skin care movement, or that DIY products were as good or better than the million dollar tubes and bottles. So that has brought me to this point. I am awaiting orders from LotionCrafter, SkinActives, and Garden of Wisdom to make my first (actually, it will be Kassy's) masterpiece. I am not a chemist or a scientist. I doubt I will EVER make anything without a recipe someone else has written, but that's what we're all here for, right?
So I ask: what prompted you to try and make something on your own? How did you come by the knowledge? Who encouraged you? The members of this website have encouraged me, and that's why I am going to try.

KK Smile
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
hey katie!
that's great news you're starting DIY products/potions. i'm sure you can save tons of money.

for myself, i'm taking tentative steps... extremely slow steps to natural and DIY (products). all the recipes and the process, to me, are overwhelming. that's a whole a new shopping cart in itself.

since i've joined EDS, and reading the threads, its very encouraging to see that i can do small recipes as a start. i've only started on 2-4 ingredients masks for face/body/hands. Surprised don't laugh. that's a huge step for me. ohhh my clumsy ways! Laughing

keep us updated with your progress!

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:40 am      Reply with quote
KatieKins wrote:
My new year's resolution was to take better care of my 40 year old skin and figure out if there were indeed products that would prevent/get rid of wrinkles. As I researched, I saw a lot of products that were very highly recommended and waaaay too much money. I can justify alot of my unjustified shopping, but I could not fork out hard earned hundreds for "miracle broth" moisturizer or C++++ serum. What was a desperate person to do? I had NO IDEA there was such a thing as a DIY skin care movement, or that DIY products were as good or better than the million dollar tubes and bottles. So that has brought me to this point. I am awaiting orders from LotionCrafter, SkinActives, and Garden of Wisdom to make my first (actually, it will be Kassy's) masterpiece. I am not a chemist or a scientist. I doubt I will EVER make anything without a recipe someone else has written, but that's what we're all here for, right?
So I ask: what prompted you to try and make something on your own? How did you come by the knowledge? Who encouraged you? The members of this website have encouraged me, and that's why I am going to try.

KK Smile

Welcome, KK. I think what got me started was disappointment with products that didn't deliver the results they promised. And of course, once I found EDS, I couldn't resist. Everyone is so kind to share their recipes and results. My main problem is buying too many ingredients that I don't have time to use or know what to use them in - but when I visit one of the suppliers' websites, I end up wanting all the ingredients. My resistance is very low when it comes to most anything. Embarassed

I should also add that I like to buy bases and add in actives and other ingredients rather than trying to make something from scratch. I do that with soap, lotion and shampoo - many of these ideas came from old posts from former members on EDS. I just love reading some of those old posts.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I did not venture into DIY right away but after spending probably way too much on C formulations I decided it was time to make my own. It's not difficult and if you start with the simplest recipes you feel more confident and then work your way to something a little more involved.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
KatieKins wrote:

KK Smile

Hi,welcome KatieKins!
Answering questions: I started to do my own mixtures of essential and carrier oils, after reading about some 'pooh' (I mean all the chemical additives, or the ones that just make something absorb better or smell nice, but that are really not all that good for the body) ingredients in 90% of the creams and potions on sale that may affect health -that was two years ago with two family members seriously ill, and I learnt this searching about health issues. I learnt about various different 'healthy' mixtures of oils for different issues from a forum.
Then nearly a year ago I came across this forum and learnt I could make my own vit.C serum without the 'pooh'!!! So I encouraged myself... though, as Skippie,I was so excited about it all that I ordered some ingredients that I still haven't used! Must work it out... I'm still mucking around with DIY creams, but so far, happy with the results! Very Happy
In any case I've succumbed to buy certain eye creams after reading about good results and not finding their ingredients too 'pooh' full. Still trying to work out the ingredients I would use for a DIY eyecream.
Moonface001
5% products discount

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 am      Reply with quote
For me the interest started in my late teens when I went on Roacutane (spelling- it's a high dose synthetic vitamin A used to treat acne). This is really strong stuff with lots of side effects. One of these being extremely dry and sensitive skin. During this time I was on a search for a really thick cream that was moisturising but with no fragrance. It was really hard to find anything that met both criteria. At night I ended up using olive oil slathered on my skin or oil from a vitamin e capsule. During the day I used zinc oxide based sunscreen. Since then I have dabbled a little. This site has inspired me to make a vitamin c serum and I hope to try more.
KatieKins
5% products discount

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:03 am      Reply with quote
Thank you to everyone for your input! I hope all of you pioneers out there know how much you are APPRECIATED for your research, trial&error, and MATH skills. Also thanks for not going crazy over all the repeated/dumb questions that are asked and you answer them over, and over and over....

KK Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |