Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
I am ready to move on!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I want to ask for advice from the women who have reached their 50's. I will be hitting 40 soon and I want to prepare myself for any skin changes at this age.
I can only assume that my nose & ears will be noticeable and sag. The skin will become more dull? Should I switch to liquid blush to show off some youthfulness? I am already finding that pressed powder is not being used all that much anymore.
What should I ditch that I have been using in my 30's and what should I introduce in my 40's?

It's winter now and clearly I have dry skin but with an underlying acne problem, it's not clear how dry my skin will be in the summer, but using lotion is definitely needed. RetinA, Cetaphil, Clarisonic, Vivier vitamin C, and sunscreen was used during my 30's.
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skincare,

I would continue with what you've been using in your 30's. Definitely continue with RA and Vit.C, these are my staples.
I've found DMAE helps with firming and argireline for expression lines. I'm still on the fence about CP's but some like SB's Skin Signals for firming. I'm thinking of giving this a try along with a Matrixyl 3000 serum. Some encourage facial exercise. I'm just doing a couple for the neck & jaw area.
I have found adding oils to be beneficial as your skin can get drier & more sensitive in your 50's.
I don't use any gadgets but I'm considering the Vaculift or AALS. HTH's a little.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I'm just about past my fifties, but I would say that skincare needs in one's middle years vary person-to-person as much as in one's youth. Regardless of your particular skincare needs, I find that makeup regimens need an overhaul during late middle age. Dryness is an issue for many, though not all, in this age range, so makeup should emphasize dewiness rather than matteness. I use cream blush instead of powder blush and a dewy liquid foundation instead of loose powder or powder foundation to minimize the look of dry skin. I go with sheerer lipsticks because highly pigmented dark or bright lipsticks look severe and aging. A dab of gloss over the center of the lips over a sheer lipstick tends to look more flattering than a matte or frosted look, in my opinion. And I favor light colored eyeshadow over the lid to open up the eyes, with light peach liner over the lower waterline to increase the fresh-eyed look. Using a lilac or light blue concealer lightly over the triangle between the inner eye, the tip of the nose, and the outer eye is also flattering on older skin. Circumspect use of taupe contouring powder can disguise a bit of sag and give better definition to the face, though I admit I don't bother with contouring except for special occasion makeup.

Periodic use of moisturizing masks makes my skin happy--again, keeping in mind that we older women have a lot of variation in our needs. Pamper yourself with what feels good, use this transition as an excuse to overhaul your makeup stash, and relax--we're all friends here and a lot of us are determined to age gracefully and gratefully, since not everyone is so lucky as to have the privilege to get to this stage of life!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose: I think I will have to do some research on DMAE. Prevention of skin sagging would be my goal. My only concern is that any secret ingredient being used to keep firmness would hurt my acne prone skin. Also, just to ask you quickly, is it safe to apply my vitamin C serum and then DMAE on top, then my sunscreen?

flitcraft: Thank you so much for reminding me that high pigmented lipstick does make me look severe, even as a teen this was the case because my lips look average to thin. I just wanted to share with you that I discovered Chantecaille makeup recently and I am really loving it. The eyeshadows are sheer and get highly pigmented when applied with a wet brush. The flexibility is fantastic and the shimmer eyeshadows don't exaggerate any wrinkles that I could see. Foundations are so sheer and they have gel blush that I didn't have a chance to look at. The sheer lipsticks called Lip Chic is amazing and workable. Thank you for your tips!
brierrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare, yes you can certainly use your C serum under DMAE. Some clarification on the two forms of DMAE I thought I should mention. The amine form was terrible on my skin but the DMAE bitartrate works well for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that lips can get thinner as you age so use products to keep them moist & plumped. I use LTK system for this. Make sure to use good products on your neck & around your eyes since these areas can show signs of age.

Really good tips by flitcraft on makeup! Sheerer glossy lipcolor works better on me now. Concealer on the triangle of youth area does make a difference. I never wore eyeshadow before but now I find it helps to open up the eyes.

I'm also finding in my 50's the use of masks beneficial. Anything moisturizing or stimulating. I seem to like anything that gives a glow. Smile
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Skincare,
I think you're way ahead of the game by incorporating all the products you mentioned in your 30's! I wish I would have done that as well -- especially sunscreen. I've just recently begun a serious skincare routine and have made some great strides.

I think the main thing I noticed in my 40's was the visible sun damage I'd incurred over the years. Hopefully, since you've been using sunscreen, yours will be non-existent or minimal at best. I believe that maintaining 40-something skin involves many of the things you are already doing plus exfoliation.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction!

ETA: There have been some excellent make up suggestions as well. I just wanted to add, that I also went from a liquid make up to a mineral loose powder in my 40's. I think as we get older a "less is more" approach works better. Although, there are times when I like to glam it up and wear dark lipstick and shimmery blush! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
in my experience diet is so important in keeping skin luminescent

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |