Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Help with daily rountine!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Firs time posting here but I have been reading the forum for weeks! Excellent info here and I just cant get enough. I want to say thank you to each and every one of you!!!

I am going to be starting my skin care routine and wanted to get your input on the products. A little about me: I am in my late 20s, have an oily T-zone and am prone to occasional zits there but the rest of my face has normal to oily skin.

AM
Cleanser – MD forte cleanser I – decent? Or should I get something a little less harsh?

BHA solution – I have read good things about the IFP bha solution – is there anything I can up from a local beauty shop that is also good. The mail order may take a while and I want to get something ASAP.

Serum – from the info I could gather, it seems that it is wise to get a serum with as much anti-oxidant ingredients are possible. I am between the Juice Green Apple Antioxidant Serum and Paula Choice super anti-oxidant serum - these look like they have tons of good ingredients. What do you gals think? Again, is there anything that I can pick from a B&M store like today that is also good? I’d say the max I am willing to spend on a serum is $75!

Moisturizer – I have the la roche moisturizer with spf and I like it so far….

PM

Cleanser – I am debating if it would be wise to use the MD Forte cleanser twice a day b/c it may be too harsh. I was thinking maybe I could get a more gentle cleanser from a B&M store and use that in the morning. And use the MD Forte cleanser in the PM. What a good cleanser to get that is not too harsh?

Same BHA Solution
Same Serum if I feel like it

Treatment – Since I have never used a treatment before, I am little hesitant to try retin-a micro. I think I am going to get both Avene Diacneal and Retin-A micro via prescription and alternate them daily.

Moisturizer as needed.
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Guppy! I'm in my 20s too. Personally, I think that if your skin has no real major problems, it's best to concentrate on prevention, i.e., a good sunscreen, antioxidant like Vitamin C underneath it in the daytime, a not-too-harsh retinoid at night. I've used Diacneal - since it has 6% glycolic acid as well as retinaldihyde, you may not want to use an additional exfoliating product with it.

Cleanser - I don't have experience with the MD Forte one. I used to have oily skin, really bad zits, and I found that strong cleansers made it worse - when you strip off too much oil, your skin produces more. So now I use a very gentle one, and my skin is normal, no zits. But of course you have to experiment and see what works for you.
Guppy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
3rd.oculus wrote:
Hi Guppy! I'm in my 20s too. Personally, I think that if your skin has no real major problems, it's best to concentrate on prevention, i.e., a good sunscreen, antioxidant like Vitamin C underneath it in the daytime, a not-too-harsh retinoid at night. I've used Diacneal - since it has 6% glycolic acid as well as retinaldihyde, you may not want to use an additional exfoliating product with it.

Cleanser - I don't have experience with the MD Forte one. I used to have oily skin, really bad zits, and I found that strong cleansers made it worse - when you strip off too much oil, your skin produces more. So now I use a very gentle one, and my skin is normal, no zits. But of course you have to experiment and see what works for you.

Thanks for the reply.

What gentle cleanser do you use?
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Spectro Jel. It's pH-neutral, non-foaming but cleans really well, cheap ($11 for 1/2 litre) comes in a few different formulations for your skin type, but it's only available in Canada.
Laughs and smiles

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
If I may join the thread, I'd like to ask a question...

I just turned 28 and I have started noticing that my skin is starting to lose a bit of "lustre"... I must say i have always had an oily/combination type of complexion and was always too worried about spots than anything else!

For the last year I have been noticing that my skin is getting drier and I have been adding some products here and there... The problem is that I never know if this is good for my age or not!! Here's what I use:

cleanser- neutrogena clean and clear
toner- covent garden spa instant hydrating toner
moisturizer- have just started using phyto 58 from yonka - I quite like it as my cheeks were dehydrated.
eyes- have used different stuff, currently using (don't laugh!) nivea creme.

Should I be substituting / adding stuff? I don't want to miss out on better skin for the future!!

Many thanks

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
Laughs and smiles -

I haven't personally used any of those products, so I can't give you specific advice, and everyone's skin is different. But here are some guidelines I set for myself for my skincare routine/products:

1. Do no harm. That means avoiding harsh ingredients like sodium laureth sulfate, and things that may be bad for you like parabens, etc., as much as possible.

2. Try not to interfere with your skin's natural function. Skin is homeostatic. I learned this the hard way - at one point, I had really oily skin & zits, and I tried to "fix" it by over-cleansing with harsh, basic-pH cleansers and exfoliators. It got MORE oily. Then I had surgery and couldn't wash my head for a week, I just wiped it with a damp facecloth, and my skin magically got better. So now I only cleanse in the evenings with a gentle cleanser, and use only water in the mornings.

3. Protect it from damage. By using sunscreen and antioxidants to counter free-radical damage.

4. Address any other concerns. The reason I put this last is because if you switch to a more gentle routine, you need to give your skin time to adjust and stabilize, and maybe purge. Once you've established a new baseline, you may not even have zits or dry skin anymore. But if you still do, only then you should select products to target these problems.

Nature is smart, and your skin has evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to work right. Why mess with a good thing?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |