Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Article: Oil and The Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SkinCareJunkie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Oil and The Skin

By Leslie Baumann, M.D. - Posted on Wed, Jan 20, 2010, 6:15 pm PST

For years, skin care companies have proudly advertised their creams and lotions as "oil-free." But with the surge in popularity of natural and organic ingredients, oils are experiencing a comeback.

While it's true some oils can cause breakouts, others can actually be used to treat acne. Tea tree oil, for instance, has been shown to be as effective as a five percent benzoyl peroxide lotion in the treatment of mild acne (however, some people are allergic to it). Coconut oil also some offers protection against acne bacteria, but most dermatologists agree that certain forms can cause breakouts. However, an extract of coconut called monolaurin can be successfully used to treat acne.

The rest of the article can be seen here

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/15773/oil-and-the-skin/
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 am      Reply with quote
thanks for sharing
NOTCH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
What I find interesting about this article is that it cites examples of oils that I've been speaking highly of for a long time: Sunflower (especially high oliec acid sunflower), Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Evening Primrose Oil. If she would have added "Macadamia Oil" to that list, I would have given this article an A+ rating.

Actually, Jojoba Oil is not an "oil" at all but really a liquid wax ester. For those who use only Jojoba Oil as an emollient in a product, they can quite correctly make the "oil free" claim.

It is a well known fact that the skin's own natural sebum is made of fatty acids, wax esters, squalene, cholesterol, and other very minor components. Therefore, if a product contains macadamia oil (for the fatty acids), Jojoba Oil (for the wax esters) Squalene and Olive Derivatives (for the squalene)... then that product will be extremely skin friendly and skin compatible. It will be very moisturizing and will penetrate the skin with ease. And, most importantly will not cause pore clogging or skin breakouts.

John

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with this. After years of troubled skin, I solved all my issues by switching to oils - both as a cleanser and moisturiser.

In addition to the above, I've also recently ditched all commercial shampoos and am making my own shampoo from Castile Soap which is made from Olive and Neem Oil - guess what - no more itchy scalp! Oils are definitely the way to go for me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, can you please share your shampoo recipe? I'm so itchy all the time I never know what to do! Thanks!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Auu
5% products discount

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 am      Reply with quote
I don't like oil-free products. Exclamation
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 am      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
Keliu, can you please share your shampoo recipe? I'm so itchy all the time I never know what to do! Thanks!

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I've tried every kind of shampoo, organic and otherwise and I've also tried conditioner washing but my scalp always itched. It's only since I've been using this DIY shampoo that I'm itch free. I like the Peppermint Shampoo the best and I really recommend you use the Lemon and Honey Conditioner because it's a great clarifier. Not only does my scalp not itch, but there's no waxy build-up. I do think it took a few days for my hair to adjust (I wash my hair every day) but now it feels great, looks shiny and my husband says it even looks thicker.

Here's the thread with the recipes:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=37099

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:50 am      Reply with quote
What are your thoughts on argan oil, i bought a bottle, shea terra organics.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:16 am      Reply with quote
spinney wrote:
What are your thoughts on argan oil, i bought a bottle, shea terra organics.

Argan Oil is a perfectly wonderful oil to use - it has a very good reputation in regard to skin care and anti-aging.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, do you use sunscreen over your oil(s) if you use them as moisturiser? (sorry if this sounds like a daft question). TIA!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 am      Reply with quote
pumpingmummy wrote:
Keliu, do you use sunscreen over your oil(s) if you use them as moisturiser? (sorry if this sounds like a daft question). TIA!

Yes, I apply my sunscreen over the oils.

5% products discount

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
Very Informative article. Thanks for posting such. Smile
KatieKins
5% products discount

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Keliu for the information on shampoo! I will look into it! Gosh, how much $$ did you save after that shampoo A HA moment? Tons I'm sure.

KK Very Happy
twdollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:51 am      Reply with quote
i used to be scared of oils since i'm breakout prone...but using certain oils has really helped my face.

but i'm still confused as too what makes me break out.
Sad
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with this!
I have oil combination skin and easily break out when I was a teenager. I thought I only can use oil-free product, but they do not help at all. After many trials, I find water and oil balance is more important. Even if you are oily skin, do not just use oil-free products, it does not help you to control oil, hydrated supplement will help more.
mpstat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oils are wonderful! I am an oil girl, and use base and EOs for a variety of things. Have been using oils as moisturizers, take EOs internally, etc. Adding several drops of lemon EO to shampoo when washing my hair, keep it for a minute or two and rinse.

Keliu - thank you for posting DIY recipe. I'll need to try it. Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:16 am      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
Oils are wonderful! I am an oil girl, and use base and EOs for a variety of things. Have been using oils as moisturizers, take EOs internally, etc. Adding several drops of lemon EO to shampoo when washing my hair, keep it for a minute or two and rinse.

Keliu - thank you for posting DIY recipe. I'll need to try it. Smile

Kelilu's recipe is awesome! I don't have itchies but it really leaves my hair lovely and smooth, shiney and manageable. In this humidity it's a miracle worker! Smile Thanks Kelilu!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Just stumbled this thread....

I'm an oil convert - I use NudeSkincare oil cleanser at night (effective and 99% natural) and castor and hempseed oil in the morning.

I like to leave a light barrier of hempseed oil on my skin during the day and have had wonderful results with it since finding it last Oct/Nov.

(Sorry for boring anyone who's read this oft-repeated recommendation...)
Take a look at this thread by Vonstella - read the first post and maybe a few of the last ones.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=34098

It's great for spots, dry skin, oily skin, irritated skin, flakey skin - well just about everything!

Now off to look up Keliu's shampoo. Very Happy
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
For the last 5 years I have been cleansing my face (morning and night) with only Pure Organic Macadamia Nut Oil. No water whatsoever. My skin was becoming highly reactive to water and this oil literally saved my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |