Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What can you take INTERNALLY for sun protection?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:07 am      Reply with quote
I'm interested in any recommendations of supplements/foods which will provide some sun protection. I just found and ordered "Healthy Skin Chocolate Soft Chews" which are claimed to:

Quote:
Benefits of taking healthy skin chocolate soft chews include:
• Increased skin hydration and moisture
• Improved skin elasticity and thickness
• Decreased dry, flaky and rough skin
• Improved blood flow to the skin, with decreased UV-ray irritations
• Visibly more radiant, healthier skin

Ingredients are:

Quote:
Theobroma cacao: Cocoa seed extract standardized to 12% polyphenols providing 329mg of flavanols, 61.1mg epicatechin and 6.6mg catechin
Research-proven to be a leading ingredient in enhancing and improving skin health, including increased skin hydration, thickness and elasticity as well as decreasing dry and flaky skin (Heinrich, et al.). Long-term ingestion is also shown to be UV-protective†. 2742mg
Hydrolyzed collagen (from fish)
Our fish collagen extract is rich in proteins structurally similar to those found in the collagen and elastin (the scaffolding) of the dermal layer of human skin. Oral fish collagen supplements have been used for years in Japan as a means to prevent sagging skin and signs of aging in the skin. 500mg
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 180mg
Lycopene (from 86mg of Lycopersicon esculentem tomato fruit extract) 6mg
Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 30 IU
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 400mg
Zinc (gluconate) 1mg
Selenium (BioactiveTM proteinate) 75 mcg
Vitamins B2, C and E, Lycopene, Zinc and Selenium have all been shown in individual or combined research studies to provide overall skin health support at any age.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks.
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:35 am      Reply with quote
The heliocare? beta carotene?
I ordered Astaxanthin because it's supposedly better than beta carotene.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Lycopene is a good choice. It has been shown to provide some protection but obviously does not replace SS. Studies have been done on eating tomato paste. If you google you will find tons of articles.
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:55 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Lycopene is a good choice. It has been shown to provide some protection but obviously does not replace SS. Studies have been done on eating tomato paste. If you google you will find tons of articles.

could you please tell me what is SS? thanks!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:57 am      Reply with quote
hellenzqq wrote:

Sun Screen
hellenzqq
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
hellenzqq wrote:

Sun Screen

oh, thanks a lot, hehe Razz
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
-Heliocare
-Lycopene
-Tomato paste or cooked tomatoes with oil
havana8

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:38 am      Reply with quote
According to the Murad website, their pomphenol supplement can boost the body's natural sun defense by 25 per cent.

"Perhaps the most extraordinary benefit of this radically innovative ingredient is that it actually boosts the SPF rating of topical sunscreens so that the same SPF protection levels are maintained using less chemicals and more antioxidants than comparable products."
http://www.muradskincareblog.com/?p=10

Murad Pomphenol Sunguard Supplement
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/murad-pomphenol-sunguard-p_8509.htm
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've read about the lycopene in cooked tomato products, so I'll be using tomato paste in my smoothies this summer. I also used the Murad supplement last summer and will do so again. I also bought some dried goji berries which have some lycopene.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I heard that "lutein" taken internally is good for sun protection. Lutein is also good for the eyes so you may find it added to supplements that are beneficial for eye health. You can also buy it one it's own. It is derived from marigold flowers.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 am      Reply with quote
There have been studies in particular on carotenoids and lycopene for increasing natural sun protection, with reports that they can give an internal SPF of about 4 or perhaps more, which is pretty good for a non-barrier method.

For lycopene, tomatoes are good, but watermelon is really king. Not only is it higher in lycopene per (undehydrated fresh) gram, but its lycopene is more bioavailable and it's much easier to eat lots of watermelon than lots of tomatoes. It's just that the tomato has gotten more press for its lycopene than the watermelon.

And for carotenoids, hands down, I would recommend greens! With all the carotenes and vitamin C and even some vitamin E, they are great for increasing internal sun protection. My favorite is spring greens or tender baby greens blended into fruit smoothies.

Since eating mostly fruits and vegetables, especially greens, I now find it much harder to burn or turn pink in the sun, but ironically, I also tan faster and my tan lasts longer, through much of the winter. Not sure how that works--burning way less easily but tanning quicker Question --but hey, I'm not complaining. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
You are right on cm5597! Cool

I have always been a fan of orange Fruits and Veggies. Fresh carrot juice, papayas, mangoes, cantaloupes etc. are all good sources of beta-carotene which are good for your skin. Also dark green leafy veggies like spinach.

Here are some Anti-Oxidant Supplements That Reduce Suntanning Damage:

Supplement Dosage per day

Beta-carotene - 30 mgs
Mixed carotenoids from algae -50 mgs (Contains beta-carotene, cytoxanthin and xanthin, alpha carotene, leutin)
Natural Vitamin E - 400 units
(Do not use pure d-alpha - it blocks the protection of the d-gamma form - gamma is the best protector) Contains d-alpha-tocopherol, d-beta-tocopherol, d-gamma tocopherol, d-delta tocopherol
Vitamin C - 1 gram
Coenzyme Q-10 - 30 mgs
Alpha Lipoic Acid - 100 mgs
Mixed tocotrienols - 35 mgs
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
It's obvious from your posts, cm5597 and Star Model, that I really need to get back on the green smoothies. I've been pretty lax lately in my eating habits.
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Thanks to SkinCareJunkie for this information from the Allure article:

Quote:
Polypodium leucotomos ( Found in heliocare pills)
This fern extract “has been shown to protect skin from UV damage,” says Baumann who suggests taking it on days you’ll be spending a lot of time outside. “There is also very good studies showing it decreases redness after sun exposure.”
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:49 am      Reply with quote
I've heard there are studies in motion, but from what I knew none had actually produced their results yet. The tomatoe puree one was the one that really got me interested, and when I asked the person who spoke of it they directed me to an organisation that did the study and they said their PR department was a little overly ambitious in releasing the press release and that the results weren't yet available. I'd love to see some proper studies if they do exist - could you point me in the right direction.

Also Cm I had some questions about some of the things you said in the plumping a gaunt face thread, I dont know if you saw?
cm5597 wrote:
There have been studies in particular on carotenoids and lycopene for increasing natural sun protection, with reports that they can give an internal SPF of about 4 or perhaps more, which is pretty good for a non-barrier method.
kikiw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am      Reply with quote
I take Vit C every day, it seems helps.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |