Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can spirulina help with problem skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mariajj

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
I found an article on the Daily Mail website about algae helping with acne, titled "Algae could help acne sufferers".

It mentions taking spirulina supplements and combining with topical application as a cream or a mask. Has anyone else tried this for problem skin? If so, for what skin conditions and what sort of results did you get?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-562/Algae-help-acne-sufferers.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
mariajj - Try this site for some great info on spirulina and chlorella www.thechlorellafactor.com

Jasminerosey on EDS is a huge fan of spirulina and I take it also. Acne is not an issue for me but I do take it for the extra skin glow that it supposedly will give.

I'd say it's worth trying.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Spirulina and Chlorella help to keep the body alkaline which in turn helps to keep the body in balance. More often than not acidity is the root cause of many problems.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Sister Sweets - I've been looking into the Spirulina since you recommended it to me on the other thread. However, you seem to have to take an awful lot of tablets a day, like about 10. Is that what you recommend? Please don't tell me to take the powder - I hate making up those kind of drinks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Sister Sweets - I've been looking into the Spirulina since you recommended it to me on the other thread. However, you seem to have to take an awful lot of tablets a day, like about 10. Is that what you recommend? Please don't tell me to take the powder - I hate making up those kind of drinks!

Not Sis,

Yep, all the "greens" capsules or tablets I have seen at Whole Foods and my local Health Food Store require a lot of them per day to get the recommended dose, so it's either take a bunch of pills or try and get the liquid version down! I can't get past the flavor of the drinks either, and I have tried the powder in many different juices/blends.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Keliu - BF calls spirulina/chlorella blend "green" drink swamp water. Laughing
I take the powder because it is cheaper and no fillers, etc.
You absolutely do have to take a lot of it if you do the capsule form.

I drink it - fast and try not to think about it except that I'm doing myself a favor. I know that's not exactly a big help but it does get easier.
Keliu - every once in a while Swanson's or one of the others will put the tablets on a super special (Iherb does this) or BOGO free. Keep eyes open for this. If I see it I'll let you know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Kelilu,

The caps I take have an abundance of all greens plus! Garden of Life Perfect Food, not cheap but you get quit a nice serving of antioxidents plus probiotics, I just really prefer the caps (5 a day) to the powder, although my orchids seem to like the powder I can't gag down Smile

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Portals/11/Images/Foundational%20Nutrition/PerfectFood/perfectFoodCapletsFacts.gif

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Here is a partial listing of what is in the "Perfect Food" I take: 

Ingredients 
Daily Intake of Perfect Food Supplies the Equivalent of 5-10 Servings of Vegetables 

Contains Over 45 Nutrient-Rich Superfoods including: 
Green Superfoods: Wheat Grass Juice*, Barley Grass Juice*, Rye Grass Juice*, Oat Grass Juice*, Alfalfa Grass Juice*, Spirulina, Chlorella, Dunaliella, Kelp, Dulse and other Sea Vegetables (Gluten free) Vegetables: Carrot Juice*, Beet Juice*, Tomato Juice*, Sweet Potato*, Broccoli*, Kale*, Cabbage*, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Parsley*, Spinach*, Asparagus*, Celery*, Cucumber, Green Pepper*, Garlic, Ginger* and Onion Grains and Seeds: Flax Seeds*, Sesame Seeds*, Sunflower Seeds*, Pumpkin Seeds*, Chia Seeds* Garbanzo Beans*, Red Lentils*, Soy Beans*, Kidney Beans*, Azuki Beans*, Millet*, Brown Rice*, Maize* and Buckwheat* (All Fermented and Gluten Free) 
Acerola Cherry: Nature's richest source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a premier antioxidant and important for overall health of the immune system. 
* Certified Organic

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Another one by the same company that I take.

Radical Fruits® is an antioxidant complex that helps neutralize free radicals and protects against oxidative stress in the body.* It is a 100% natural blend of 10 antioxidant-rich fruits that support overall health.* Ingredients in Radical Fruits are carefully selected to ensure a high concentration of antioxidants.

Radical Fruits® is a powerful antioxidant formula that helps neutralize free radicals and protects the body against oxidative stress.*

Each serving (2 caplets) of Radical Fruits® provides an ORAC* value of over 6,000 TE, which is equivalent to 3 servings of fruits.
Each organic fruit has been carefully selected and freeze-dried, a gentle process that allows the fruit to maintain its nutrient content. Evidence suggests that freeze-dried fruits may contain a higher content of antioxidants compared with products that have been dried by conventional hot air methods.
Radical Fruits® is an antioxidant complex that helps neutralize free radicals and protects against oxidative stress in the body.* It is a 100% natural blend of 10 antioxidant-rich fruits that support overall health.* Ingredients in Radical Fruits are carefully selected to ensure a high concentration of antioxidants.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/FoundationalNutrition/RadicalFruits/tabid/656/Default.aspx

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Many thanks for all your comments about the supplements, has anyone tried topical application of either a DIY face mask or a cream containing spirulina? If so, what were the results? Do you think it would be worth topical application in conjunction with the supplements?

i found a esthederm institut intensive spirulina cream on the internet, has anyone tried this, if so what were the results? it's a tad on the pricey side, but is it worth it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Never heard of it used topically.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that evening primerose oil helps maintain healthy skin. My mom tried it for about 2 weeks, & her age spots are lighter in colour now. She suggested me to try some for my acne problem, which has been bothering me for over 20 years. I just started it 2 days ago, will keep you posted.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Panda33 wrote:
I heard that evening primerose oil helps maintain healthy skin. My mom tried it for about 2 weeks, & her age spots are lighter in colour now. She suggested me to try some for my acne problem, which has been bothering me for over 20 years. I just started it 2 days ago, will keep you posted.

They make algea masks so I don't see why not. Smile
Please do keep us posted.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Never heard of it used topically.

Have a look at the Daily Mail article in the link that Lacy posted above. The boy whose acne was cured used a Spirulina face mask in addition to taking it internally.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have been 1 tablespoon of Green Vibrance powder for last few months, and didnt get any cold or cough for the whole of winter. Usually my kids bring the infection home from school and i catch it too....it tastes quite bad though and i dont like juices so just chug it down with a glass of water...it had spirulina, probiotics, wheatgrass etcetc...its a loooong list!

Dont know if it helps with skin though , I also take EPO etc..so cant say whats working...but am not getting that many cysts these days ..only surface acne

Hope this helps a little

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
mithai wrote:
I also take EPO etc..so cant say whats working...but am not getting that many cysts these days ..only surface acne

What's EPO - is it for skin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
mithai wrote:
I also take EPO etc..so cant say whats working...but am not getting that many cysts these days ..only surface acne

Evening Promrose Oil is my guess.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:
mithai wrote:

Doh!!!! Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:
mithai wrote:

Doh!!!! Rolling Eyes

LMAO I have many of those Doh!!! Moments myself, I think we all do! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Keliu, I mix the powder in yogurt. It looks horrible but it really doesn't taste too bad this way. A lot better than trying to drink it down! At first it was like 'yuck' but now I kind of like it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Keliu, I mix the powder in yogurt. It looks horrible but it really doesn't taste too bad this way. A lot better than trying to drink it down! At first it was like 'yuck' but now I kind of like it.

That's one reason I stick with the caps I listed above I get a load of goodies without having to figure out a way to make them palatible, but I am not one that ever had any problem swallowing pills, I know some do! Smile

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
DM, the Garden of Life Perfect food caps that you take look excellent. Can you get it in a powder form? Swallowing caps doesn't bother me but I find powder form more economical.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
DM, the Garden of Life Perfect food caps that you take look excellent. Can you get it in a powder form? Swallowing caps doesn't bother me but I find powder form more economical.

Yes if you click the link they have the powder as well as the caps. Smile

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks DM, I quess I had scrolled right past the link. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |