Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Can spirulina help with problem skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
YEAH...animals can be as nuanced in their tastes as people..,

we had a dog at one time who loved dried currants, but not raisins..if we dropped a handful of a combo of dried currants and raisins together on the floor near him, he would pick out the currants..(which look almost identical to the raisins..and don't taste all that different to me)..and leave the raisins behind..always amazed me..

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl, are you saying that teh b vitamins in the spiulina healed your cat from IBD..or was it part of a larger program. (was it vet recommended..or did you figure it out/intuit it youself?)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
That's a good trick Jasminrosey. Thanks for the suggestion.

DM, it DOES look like pond scum. Now I'll be thinking pond scum every time I drink it. That's OK, I was already thinking swamp juice.

BTW, whenever I open the spirulina jar, the cat comes running from wherever he is in the house. He's usually standing there by the time I start mixing it. It's unbelievable to me that he can smell it that far away.

Sorry Tonia for another icky thought in your head!
I had a cat who as soon as I got out either Chinese snow peas or cantaloupe would charge through the house and appear waiting for his fair share! They are a trip, our fur babies! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:57 am      Reply with quote
My dog LOVES spirulina...they know what's good for them. Have to say she's looking bright eyed and perky these days. Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
TAMgirl, are you saying that teh b vitamins in the spiulina healed your cat from IBD..or was it part of a larger program. (was it vet recommended..or did you figure it out/intuit it youself?)

LOL..I wish! Laughing Unfortunately, IBD in cats cannot be cured, only managed. It took about 8 months of trial and error to find what worked for my little girl. Although she is doing much better than before, it's still a daily struggle to keep her eating well as it is with all IBD cats. The spirulina was only one of the supplements I tried for her. While she had a LOT of energy during the time I gave it, I found after a while of being on a diet that works best for her that she no longer needed it. And no, the spirulina was something I had read about on my own. Unfortunately, most vets don't know how to manage IBD either, it's mostly trial and error.

If you're interested in learning more about my journey with her, or just about IBD in cats in general, check out the site my good friend put together on this. She unfortunately lost her cat to IBD (and triaditis) a couple of years ago and given the complications of trying to manage this disease, decided to help others by compiling all of the info into one site. On this particular page, you can read my girl Maggie's story if you scroll down. The important difference between this and IBS in humans is that their form is an actual disease (rather than a syndrome), which unfortunately has no cure to date.

http://www.ibdkitties.net/livingwithibd.html

For some reason I can't pull the website up right now, but it might be my computer at work blocking it. I've notified my friend who runs it so hopefully if it is down she'll have it back up shortly.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Nutritionally speaking, what exactly is in Spirulina and how much of each nutrient do you get from ingesting a couple of tablespoons of the powder (or the tablets)? How does any of that help with acne, as was suggested by the article stated at the beginning of this thread?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy, i had totally forgotten that this thread was originally started to speak about spirulina in regards to acne..it's really taken on a life of it's own..and has developed into a thread about spirulina helping skin, in general.

so..i went back and just read the original article which stated that it is the essential amino acids in spirulina that aid in skin regeneration in regards to acne..so i can't say whether that's true or not..but i can tell you that a rounded tbl. of spirulina has approximately 6 grams of protein..as essential amino acids..in extraordinarily assimilable form.

the article also spoke of the chlorophyll in spirulina as being healing/regenerating to the skin...

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
whoops..somehow i 'sent' this post before i had finished it..

anyway, the article at teh beginning of this thread states that the chlorophy regenerates the skin through detoxifying the body ..which i would agree with..but also, as stated earlier on this thread (when the original topic was more in focus) i believe it's a good idea to start out with very very small doses if thre is a acne issue invoved so as not to trigger a detox reaction thru the skin..resulting in more acne..and then to very gradually increase the amount taken per week untiol it's at least 1 tbl. a day (although 2 is really great for some)

anyway, i was going to list more nutrients..like the omega 6's and 3's and b vitamins..but decided instead just to reprint this info.. as not so much time available to me this afternoon.

So here:

"Ounce for ounce Spirulina (a microscopic blue-green algae) provides more complete protein that any other food source. About 60% to 70% compared with only 22% for beef. Spirulina contains 20 of the 22 amino acids the body has to have as a foundation for building and maintaining healthy cells. And of the 18 amino acids all ten dietary-essential amino acids are found in nearly exact ratio to our bodies composition. Making Spirulina protein a perfect protein source. Since it is 95 % digestible as compared to the beef protein of only 20% digestibility it is an immediately available food source.

Spirulina is an excellent source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. And because the deep Hawaiian Spring waters that feed the Spirulina as it grows are mineral-rich, this green super food is a wonderful source of many important minerals, over 90 minerals in all, in natural chelated form. Chelated means the minerals are bonded to amino acids, which make them easier for the body to assimilate.

Exceptionally high concentrations of Beta-carotene and mixed Carotenoids.

A full-spectrum of antioxidants from phytonutrients, pigments and antioxidant vitamins.

Highest concentration of any food of Phycocyanin: blue, immune-stimulating biliprotein.

High source of Omega 3 & Omega 6 essential fatty acids.

Unusually high source of carbohydrates in the form of: Rhamnose a rare biologically active sugar that speeds nutrients across the blood-brain barrier and to the cell; Glycogen, a vegetable source of glucose in stored-energy form; and mucopolysaccharides which are materials for glycoprotein complexes.

One of the most concentrated sources of chlorophyll, a body purifier and blood builder.

A full spectrum of vitamins in balanced amounts, more than any other single food source.

Over 90 trace mineral minerals from an ocean source.

Over 2,000 active live enzymes including DNA, RNA, S.O.D. and Glycolipids.

Spirulina is as ancient a food as can be found on the earth. It was here at the beginning and still is at the bottom of the food chain. Spirulina has everything you need to live on! It is eaten worldwide by millions of people today. Spirulina is a safe and complete, life enhancing super food. "

anyway, all i have time to post (reprint) for now

Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I was looking at this site for information on the nutritional content of spirulina:

http://www.naturalways.com/spirulina-analysis.htm

It seems to be very thorough and hopefully reliable. But I did notice that the analysis was done per kilogram (2.2 pounds) so I was just wondering how beneficial taking a couple of tablespoons was.

There was mention of Chlorophyll having antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties in relation to skin, but that was the only reference I could see that directly mentioned skin (which may help with acne when applied topically).

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I was able to find this from the University of Maryland Medical Center, Complementary Medicine:

Quote:
Spirulina

Overview:
Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and carotenoids (a type of antioxidant that can help protect cells from damage). It contains nutrients, including B complex vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and gamma linolenic acid (an essential fatty acid).

I guess two statements concern me. First, there is no proof that Spirulina has any benefits on humans, and second you would need to consume very large quantities to see any effect from the protein in Spirulina.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/spirulina-000327.htm

[Admin: Full copy of article removed due to copyright. Please check before re-posting on EDS.]

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:49 am      Reply with quote
One of the basic things that Spirulina and Chlorella do is to help to keep the body alkaline. This reason alone warrants its use for overall health. When a body becomes too acidic any number of problems can develop.

It's antioxidant and antiviral properties boost the immune system. A Good Thing! Very Happy
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lacy, are you considering taking spirulina...if you do take it, probably best to put the concspts of 'what it does' out of your mind for a bit..cause i think all of us utilize the function of our analytical mind too much..in other words..we let it usurp the function of different kinds of 'knowingness' witin our human spirit...(which somehow.. i feel you know) It's always difficult to let go of the mind..even when we feel it's not the best vechicle for finding out what we need to know (and it's scary to do so, really, for all of us)...but sometimes it's the only way to 'know'.

anyway, i can answer your points, but i just don't feel it's what you're really 'asking about'(i feel some part of you is just wanting to find out 'who you really are'...and i feel you're so close to knowing..and it's best to go about doing that consciously)

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:37 am      Reply with quote
wait a minute!

a few moments ago there was more posted..both within lacy's post..and in another post..and I was resonating to all that when i sent my last post..not sure it makes much sense right now externally..although it's still what i 'find within' when i journey internally

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Anyway, just for general, and important info...it's the availability of a nutrient for human asimilation that's important in any given nutrient source (food or supplement) not just the presence of the nutrient itself

don't have time to go into specifics here..but, in general, the protein in spirulina is highly bio-available (plus 6 grams in a rounded tablespoon is high in and of itself..same as in an egg)

i personally started taking spirulina for extra protein(it's also used as a protein source, and for other nutrients, in poorer areas of the world..as are other super food powders like moringa) and then found out it's benefits for my skin.

but i will post more another day..when i have more time available.

and yes, Star Model, it is alkaline!

Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:22 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Hi Lacy, are you considering taking spirulina...if you do take it, probably best to put the concspts of 'what it does' out of your mind for a bit..cause i think all of us utilize the function of our analytical mind too much..in other words..we let it usurp the function of different kinds of 'knowingness' witin our human spirit...(which somehow.. i feel you know) It's always difficult to let go of the mind..even when we feel it's not the best vechicle for finding out what we need to know (and it's scary to do so, really, for all of us)...but sometimes it's the only way to 'know'.

anyway, i can answer your points, but i just don't feel it's what you're really 'asking about'(i feel some part of you is just wanting to find out 'who you really are'...and i feel you're so close to knowing..and it's best to go about doing that consciously)

I actually do take a supplement called Healthy Skin with Greens by Genuine Health which includes spirulina (1450 mg) and more. I have been doing so for at least 2 years, but to be honest I don't see any benefit to my skin. I certainly don't think it has hurt, and I do think it has helped me in other ways but I am just not convinced that the marketing of the product is based on any valid science.

http://www.genuinehealth.com/greens.html?detail=greens-formula

http://www.genuinehealth.com/healthy-skin-with-greens.html?detail=healthyskin-formula

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:17 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:

and yes, Star Model, it is alkaline!

That's good to hear Jasminerosy! Actually the core should be alkaline with the outer crust slightly acidic. The perfect balance. Laughing

I am a long time user of algae based greens and have found that they are energizing. No ill effects other than sometimes the taste. But there a many new products that are quite good. Right now I am using ALL Day Energy Greens along with Sun Chlorella tabs. The taste is quite good or maybe I am just accustomed to it?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
There is a factor of getting accustomed to the taste, texture, etc of these type of green foods.

The green combination foods I've used have been pretty yummy but the spirulina has taken a little more getting used to. I try to get at least 10,000 mg a day. The newest batch is from Pure Planet and it appears to be a sweeter form than the last company I bought from. And it doesn't seem to clump for some reason as the previous batch I bought elsewhere.

Spirulina (and friends Very Happy ) has made a difference in my skin glow - my face looks fresher. Hard to explain but noticeable.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I still have a cynicle view on the need for supplements - but I do take a few, Vit C, Multi Greens, Zinc, Fish Oil etc just to be on the safe side. All Vitamins and Supplements in Australia are required, by law I think, to carry a disclaimer "Vitamins should not replace a balanced diet". So in other words, vitamins do not replace eating a healthy diet.

But really what is a healthy diet? Historically, people have only been able to eat what they could either grow, gather or hunt. So Eskimos ate seals, Australian Aborigines ate bush food and kangaroos, Asians ate rice, the Irish ate potatoes etc etc. And everyone flourished. Of course, now foods from all over the world are available to us - now, everyone can eat a banana for example. Even though we're told all the time that the modern diet is crap, we're all living longer and staying healthier (due to the miracles of modern medicine). But surely, we're all getting far more nutrition than our forebears.

And I'd also like to point out that when people who have lived to a grand old age are asked what they attribute their long life to, they usually reply, "A pint of beer a day" or something. They never say, "A pint of Spirulina and 20 supplements"! My father-in-law is on his way to 101 and I can assure you that he's never done one healthy thing in his life. He's always put 6 teaspoons of sugar in his coffee for starters!

The Japanese are the only people that I can think of whose diet is thought to have known health benefits. Mainly because of all the fish they eat. As for the Western diet, scientists are always changing their mind as to what's best - to my way of thinking, enjoying life is the best medicine and if that includes a bottle of wine and a pack of chips, then I'm having at it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Jasminerosey - I always love reading your posts - but I reckon you're smoking that Spirulina, not drinking it!! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

The Japanese are the only people that I can think of whose diet is thought to have known health benefits. Mainly because of all the fish they eat. As for the Western diet, scientists are always changing their mind as to what's best - to my way of thinking, enjoying life is the best medicine and if that includes a bottle of wine and a pack of chips, then I'm having at it!

Agreed Keliu, Enjoying life is definitely part of the key to being healthy and happy. Adopting a healthy diet is 2nd nature to some but a struggle for many because of today's society.

Health through food has been a fascination for me my whole life, including when I was a little girl. My Grandma and all of my Moms siblings were raised holistically, but they really didn't know it. It was just a way of life but it stuck and was carried through the generations. Right now on my Moms side of the family I have 2 Aunts in the 90's, 6 in their 80's with my Mom, the baby and her brother still in her 70's. They are all vibrant and love life and family, but also ALL have one common link - a back to basics Whole Foods Diet.

Japanese diet has definitely been proven to be one of the healthiest, not just from fish but it is seaweed based. So in that regard, I think Spirulina and Green Foods hold a lot of merit from a nutritional standpoint for health & longevity.

There is an interesting book that some may enjoy reading. It is called Japanese Women Don't Get Fat or Old – Secrets from my Mother's Tokyo Kitchen.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with the eating whole foods philosophy - that's just common sense. What I don't like is the marketing of supplements for specific things like "making your child smarter", "better sex", "getting pregnant" etc etc.

Incidentally, when I was young, my parents took me to Stratford Upon Avon (the home of Shakespeare). What I remember was how tiny the houses were, like dolls houses. Not in area, but in height. Even as a child, I had to duck to get under the door frames. I also once saw King Henry VIII's suit of armour, and it was very small (as in short). Everyone back then was very short in stature. As the human race has progressed, we've become much taller - basically from all the protein we consume.

I would really love to become a vegetarian because I object to the way animals are farmed and slaughtered. I could easily give up eating meat but what would I do about designer shoes and handbags. See that's what a hypocrite I am!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I would really love to become a vegetarian because I object to the way animals are farmed and slaughtered. I could easily give up eating meat but what would I do about designer shoes and handbags. See that's what a hypocrite I am!

Yes, I struggle with this as well. Anyone that knows me knows that my biggest passion in life is animals (they ALL tell me I should have been a vet and I even got my Bachelor's in vet med...long story). What I do is try to eat only free-range, wild-caught, etc. animal sources. It's a bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion, not only for the benefit to the animals while they're living, but for our own health benefit as well. It's not a perfect method, but it helps me feel better about it anyways.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Jasminerosey - I always love reading your posts - but I reckon you're smoking that Spirulina, not drinking it!!

Love this Keliu, I was totally laughing out loud!

(just for the record, though,in case anyone wonders, i don't smoke 'anything'... it's just all 'me'!!)

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:17 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Keliu wrote:
Jasminerosey - I always love reading your posts - but I reckon you're smoking that Spirulina, not drinking it!!

Love this Keliu, I was totally laughing out loud!

(just for the record, though,in case anyone wonders, i don't smoke 'anything'... it's just all 'me'!!)

It's so nice when we can laugh at ourselves instead of taking offense! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Anyway, just for general, and important info...it's the availability of a nutrient for human asimilation that's important in any given nutrient source (food or supplement) not just the presence of the nutrient itself

don't have time to go into specifics here..but, in general, the protein in spirulina is highly bio-available (plus 6 grams in a rounded tablespoon is high in and of itself..same as in an egg)

i personally started taking spirulina for extra protein(it's also used as a protein source, and for other nutrients, in poorer areas of the world..as are other super food powders like moringa) and then found out it's benefits for my skin.

I can totally understand and appreciate why you choose to take spirulina as a supplement JasmineRosey. Agreed, it is an excellent source of protein, and includes all essential amino acids.

But for most people who eat meat on a daily basis (beef, pork, chicken, fish etc) is it necessary to consume spirulina, or any protein supplement, for that matter? I know that even nuts, seeds, legumes/beans, vegetables, dairy and even some fruits contain protein (although individually they may not be complete proteins). I sometimes wonder about over-consumption of protein in one's diet.

May I ask where you get your vitamin B12 in your diet? I don't believe you consume the usual sources of this nutrient.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |