Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Can spirulina help with problem skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
In the all in all and all in all, It is very *alarmist* Lacy to suggest worrying about getting too much protein by adding Spirulina or any plant-based protein to ones diet.

It is animal protein and fat that is the underlying problem of most chronic conditions and diseases. Not saying that everyone NEEDS to become a vegetarian. But cutting back & curbing animal intake by increasing complex carbs and protein from plant sources is a very beneficial and responsible way to achieve a healthy body.

You should try to get a better handle and understanding on "health through nutrition" before causing such a misleading firestorm. Spirulina has a whole lot more to offer than just protein with no downside like animal-based products.

I think this should be brought back into perceptive which was the original intention of the post instead of nit picking to try to find flaws with this Superfood.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
Lordy, lordy, you guys are way too health conscious and serious for the likes of me... Laughing

As she hangs her head in shame + slinks off to pour a Merlot and break out the butter and sour cream for the baked potatoes... (yes, yes, steak too Embarassed)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Lacy~ I just used meat as an example because that's usually where we would get our highest amount of protein from. I do realize it's not the only source. I don't think anybody here has tried to argue that you NEED to take spirulina, although for vegetarians it's a good choice both for the protein and Vit.B12.
Thanks for the chart, it confirmed that my protein intake is where it should be on average.

Natalyn~ You don't have to take chlorella and spirulina together.

As far as any plant based foods being a source of B-12 you might want to read what the Vegetarian Society has to say on the subject, it and many other sources have found that what is contained in all plant based foods is an analogue that isn't bio-available to humans. Smile

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

The original intention of this thread was what spirilina does for skin?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Lordy, lordy, you guys are way too health conscious and serious for the likes of me... Laughing

As she hangs her head in shame + slinks off to pour a Merlot and break out the butter and sour cream for the baked potatoes... (yes, yes, steak too Embarassed)

Actually Kassy the wine is good for your heart, butter is better than margarine and your getting calcium in sour cream...sounds healthy to me. Laughing
Star Model
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Actually Kassy, with all things being said, this thread has been blown completely out of proportion.

Now go enjoy your steak and potatoes. A little salad and broccoli I hope too! Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
brierrose wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

Actually Kassy the wine is good for your heart, butter is better than margarine and your getting calcium in sour cream...sounds healthy to me. Laughing

And potatoes have more potassium than a banana. You're good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Zoftig. I'll try that one. I may be in for a rude awakening. Smile

Zoftig wrote:
Tonia wrote:
I really should do as you and others have suggested and go to one of those websites that analyze your diet.

My personal favorite is FitDay.com. It will analyze your food by Calories, Fat, Carbs, Fiber, and Protein by count and percentage plus a little pie graph Smile. It's very user friendly.

I eat extremely healthy (I thought) but that information was a real eye opener!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
...many other sources have found that what is contained in all plant based foods is an analogue (b12) that isn't bio-available to humans

I haven't read the article from the Vegetarian Society yet..but i do know that that is the current take on the b12 from spirulina (i'm not sure about fermented veg foods though...i believe certain of those may contain human bio-active b12..but i need to do more research on that..which i haven't time to do right now)

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I agree JR fermentation can alter foods drastically and may well produce bioavailable sources of nutrients. Fermented foods in general are healthful as they contain live cultures that act in a similar fashion to probiotics.

5% products discount

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Hey, sorry if this has been covered, i've not had time to properly read the thread right through. Can anyone give me any advice on when to fit a spirulina mask into my routine. In the morning I cleanse with clarisonic and allergenics facial wash and moisturise with allergenics lotion. At night I wash by hand and use jan marinis bioclear lotion before moisturising. Only just started using the clarisonic and jan marini again after really stripping my routine down for awhile because I developed eczema for the first time in my life, im 24! so ive gotten a bit paranoid about what to use and when to use it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Lscott wrote:
Hey, sorry if this has been covered, i've not had time to properly read the thread right through. Can anyone give me any advice on when to fit a spirulina mask into my routine. In the morning I cleanse with clarisonic and allergenics facial wash and moisturise with allergenics lotion. At night I wash by hand and use jan marinis bioclear lotion before moisturising. Only just started using the clarisonic and jan marini again after really stripping my routine down for awhile because I developed eczema for the first time in my life, im 24! so ive gotten a bit paranoid about what to use and when to use it.

I always like to use any type of mask in the evening because I'm not going to put makeup on my face afterwards. I think any mask is best used before putting on night-time actives.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:02 am      Reply with quote
Lscott wrote:

I would also see how your skin reacts (drying ect.) and then decide how often you want to use it as a mask. What are you planning on mixing the spirulina with, that can make a difference as well?

5% products discount

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I was just thinking about using plain aqueous cream. I also have acne prone skin and I dont know if I should wash my face afterwards or if just rinsing is enough.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Lscott wrote:
I was just thinking about using plain aqueous cream. I also have acne prone skin and I dont know if I should wash my face afterwards or if just rinsing is enough.

You can try just rinsing and see if your skin feels and looks clean enough first and if not then wash afterwards. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:55 am      Reply with quote
Here's a tip for a spirulina and egg mask:

http://amusingtips.blogspot.com/2009/06/spirulina-mask.html

Would probably work well - I've done the egg yolk mask before.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Spirulina is also indicated in topical application to soothe skin, remove toxins, and the polysaccharides provide the skin with self-sustained moisture.

I personally love it both internally and externally <3

I would warn that I have heard, and you should look into this further, than long-term internal use can cause the adrenal glands to be taxed. I have never used it for long periods of time, but just to be safe, I would research this further.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
courtneyhenslee wrote:

I would warn that I have heard, and you should look into this further, than long-term internal use can cause the adrenal glands to be taxed. I have never used it for long periods of time, but just to be safe, I would research this further.

I take spirulina tablets and have noticed energy improvements from it. Do you have a source for the adrenal gland issues? Everything I've seen shows spirulina as a recommended ingredient to reduce adrenal fatigue.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I started taking Spriulina tablets and Green Magma powder on the advice of my acupuncturist. She believed I had adrenal fatigue and this would help, along with eating more organ meat as advised in the cookbook "Nourishing Traditions." I have been feeling a lot better after following these things, my skin (acne prone) has been better too.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |